Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mmscfdcsu View Post
    I just watched The Nun's Story again a couple of nights ago on YouTube. I love that movie, but it reminded me that while she was beautiful, she could not act at all.
    NO, she DIDN'T! She did not just diss one of the bestest AH performances ever....

This is one of her best films IMO!!

Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    I guess Emma never saw Wait Until Dark, did she? Or The Nun's Story?
    Nope. Two of Audrey's best films IMO.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Overrated for what? I haven't read a bunch of accolades thrown at her like I have for Meryl Streep, for example. I think Emma has a low profile at least in the U.S.
    For starters, praise for a stagy performances in "Howard's End" and "Dead Again", for being dreadfully miscast in "Sense and Sensibility", for an unappealing Beatrice in "Much Ado About Nothing", and for an annoying spell in "Peter's Friends" -- talk about twee...

The best performance I saw her give was in "Love, Actually", which I thought was rather silly on the whole, but in which she was effective as the wife whose husband strays emotionally.

YMMV
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    For starters, praise for a stagy performances in "Howard's End" and "Dead Again", for being dreadfully miscast in "Sense and Sensibility", for an unappealing Beatrice in "Much Ado About Nothing", and for an annoying spell in "Peter's Friends" -- talk about twee...

The best performance I saw her give was in "Love, Actually", which I thought was rather silly on the whole, but in which she was effective as the wife whose husband strays emotionally.

YMMV
    I think Emma and her then-husband Kenneth Branagh rode in on that wave where cinematic audiences devoured every and anything that was from the UK in the eighties and nineties. She re-wrote Sense and Sensibility to accommodate the fact that she was, in reality, too old to play her character. I did enjoy her in The Remains of the Day and Junior (!), but don't really find her that memorable.

vCash
    She was definitely too old for Eleanor, but I didn't find that took away from the character. I thought she did a wonderful job, though Kate Winslet outshone her.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    One of the points of "Sense and Sensibility" was that Eleanor wasn't much older than her sister, but was acting as if she were a tired spinster.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    From TMC's article on Sense and Senibility (1995): http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title.jsp?s...egory=Articles
    [Emma] Thompson spent four years on the screenplay, going through countless story conferences and revisions. Gradually, she focused her story as much on the relationship between the two older Dashwood sisters as on their romantic dreams. At the time, she hoped [Producer Lindsay] Doran would cast real-life sisters Natasha and Joely Richardson, the daughters of Vanessa Redgrave. Meanwhile, Doran decided to offer the directing job to Taiwan-based Ang Lee. At first that seemed an odd choice, but she felt that films like The Wedding Banquet (1993) and Eat Drink Man Woman (1994) combined complex family relationships with social comedy much as Austen's novels did. Lee made his own suggestions on the script, often replacing lengthy dialogue scenes with visuals. He also suggested that Thompson would be perfect to play the older sister, Elinor. When she tried to argue that at 36 she was too old to play the 19-year-old character, he suggested raising her age to 27, which would make her more believable to modern audiences as a spinster. ...
    They had more trouble finding the right actress for Elinor's younger, more romantic sister, Marianne. Kate Winslet wanted the role, but had only been asked to read for a supporting part because Lee had not cared for her work in her previous film, Heavenly Creatures (1994). At the audition, she pretended her agent had told her she was reading for Marianne, then she nailed the part and won it based on a single reading.

vCash
    May I just say I love this word 'twee'. An image of Alyssa Czisny skating to Sabrina popped into my mind immediately, even before I read Emma's definition of the word
    It's just the the perfect British word, at once so genteel and insulting .

I can't comment on Audrey, it's been too long since I've seen one of her movies. I do think when re-doing the classics, most actors spew endlessly about their utter reverence for the original and it seems forced. I think it's refreshing that Emma does not feel obligated at all to follow this trend.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    That's why I called her "miscast" rather than the creator of a vanity piece.

Wandering Goy
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    Actually I was wrong it was apparently Cary Grant who said that. And he just said he wouldn't even see the movie if Rex wasn't cast. The thing is apparently Warner didn't think Julie was photogenic and he might not have even offered her the part if Audrey had said no. Julie made sure to thank Warner though in her Golden Globes acceptance speech. Audrey claims she'd have never accepted the role if she had known she'd be dubbed and even once said it should have been Julie. I do have to wonder though how Audrey ever thought she could have sung the part better than Julie.
    I love both Julie and Audrey, and I cannot believe that Audrey wouldn't have wanted Julie to have the part if she, Julie, were in fact in contention for it. That, from all accounts I have read, was not so, and so Audrey went for the part and got it.

I have also read that Julie Andrews was very nearly fired during the late rehearsals for the stage version of MFL because, of all things, she couldn't get the cockney accent and attitude. Mind you, she was in her early 20's at the time and didn't have vast amounts of acting experience.

Of all people, Audrey Hepburn knew that she couldn't sing like Julie Andrews, but she did want to try to sing as much of the role as she could. In an interview at the premiere, she even says something, when asked about the amount of dubbing, in words like "I'm certainly not a soprano" with a bit of ruefulness and embarrassment. I have seen the DVD extra with her vocals for "Wouldn't It Be Loverly" and "Show Me", however, and, IMHO, they are far superior and better acted FOR THE CHARACTER than were Marni Nixon's, all due respect to that wonderful performer.

The 60s musicals were the last gasp of the old studio system method of making musicals, and dubbing was very much entrenched as part of that process. That's not Audrey's fault, or Natalie Wood's, or Rosalind Russell's in "Gypsy". The producers, directors and musical supervisors often made those calls without the actors' input.

I have enjoyed Emma Thompson's work on the screen and TV, and she is certainly entitled to her opinion, but I think that it was unfortunately expressed in this case.
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

vCash
    I suppose, by the way, that Hepburn won an Oscar, a Tony, a BAFTA, and a Golden Globe all in the same year because she couldn't act?
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    I suppose, by the way, that Hepburn won an Oscar, a Tony, a BAFTA, and a Golden Globe all in the same year because she couldn't act?
    Perfect!

vCash
    Well, they did give an Oscar to people like John Wayne and Gwynnie Paltrow.

vCash
    And Halle Berry, who was decent in Monster's Ball but every other performance I've seen her in has sucked. I can't believe how terrible she was in Catwomen and Die Another Day.

vCash
    Slightly OT, but I wonder if it's any coincidence that the Merriam-Webster word of the day for August 7 is "twee".
    I can call the moon a pear, but it doesn't make it so. -- kwanfan1818

aspiring tri-national
    vCash

I'm already furious at her for trying to remake one of my favorite films of all time. (I literally had MFL all but memorized when I was a kid. Probably still do.) She's not helping her case here.
    I knew I liked you. I blame MFL for my tendency to fall in love with my English teachers, every year until I graduated high school.

My daughter first saw MFL at the age of six or so. She said, gee, Professor Higgins reminds me of Steve, my then SO and later husband. And later ex-husband. She was absolutely right.

But do I hold that against MFL? I do not.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    And Halle Berry, who was decent in Monster's Ball but every other performance I've seen her in has sucked. I can't believe how terrible she was in Catwomen and Die Another Day.
    OT, but I actually thought Halle was better in The Dorothy Dandridge Story....there are a lot of one-hit wonder Oscars....and she is one of them. Michael Douglas is another. Ginger Rogers, John Wayne, too many to mention.

OmnipresentAdmeanistrator
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
    I love Emma T, and like Audrey, enjoy her films, but not a huge fan. But I don't like what Emma said. When a person is dead, why? (unless they were a very person).
    Just not in good taste.
    She didn't criticize her as a person, but as an actress. After performers are dead, we shouldn't criticize their work? What about writers? Music composers? That would pretty much make any criticism impossible.

So Emma Thompson doesn't think Hepburn was a great actress, big deal. Was she even an actress? She seemed more like a clueless puppy thrown into the middle of festivities. It worked for "Roman Holiday", for other movies, not so much. She was beyond horrible in "The Nun's Story". I couldn't watch the whole movie because of her. She was so bad the whole thing seemed like rubbish.

Emma Thompson, on the other hand, is an amazing actress. If someone doesn't really know her or think she's overrated, try "The Remains of the Day" and "Wit" for starters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WindSpirit View Post
    She didn't criticize her as a person, but as an actress. After performers are dead, we shouldn't criticize their work? What about writers? Music composers? That would pretty much make any criticism impossible.

So Emma Thompson doesn't think Hepburn was a great actress, big deal. Was she even an actress? She seemed more like a clueless puppy thrown into the middle of festivities. It worked for "Roman Holiday", for other movies, not so much. She was beyond horrible in "The Nun's Story". I couldn't watch the whole movie because of her. She was so bad the whole thing seemed like rubbish.

Emma Thompson, on the other hand, is an amazing actress. If someone doesn't really know her or think she's overrated, try "The Remains of the Day" and "Wit" for starters.
    Criticizing a dead person is useless & IMO shows a mean-spiritedness of the criticizer. Calling a person twee & saying she can't act, especially a beloved, iconice actress is hateful. Ms Thompson better make damn sure she is perfect in every role from now on.

I thought AH was wonderful in A Nun's Story...that's clearly a matter opinion, but "beyond horrible"? IMO AH's movies will live a lot longer than any of ET's. At least in Audrey's movie I could actually understand every word. With Emma's snobbish faux upperclass accent, I can seldom understand what she said.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VALuvsMKwan View Post
    I have also read that Julie Andrews was very nearly fired during the late rehearsals for the stage version of MFL because, of all things, she couldn't get the cockney accent and attitude. Mind you, she was in her early 20's at the time and didn't have vast amounts of acting experience.
    Julie Andrews was never much of an actress, I'll give you that. She did get better over time but was always limited. But I could listen to her voice all day--and have!

vCash
    Originally Posted by VALuvsMKwan
    One of the criticisms of Audrey was she didn't exactly have a great cockney accent herself. In fact the feeling is Andrews accent was better. The main reason Audrey got that part was because she was a name and Andrews wasn't. And the director didn't think Andrews was photogentic enough. Of course I must admit that Audrey brought a huge charm to that role. But its not like Audrey herself was a Meryl Streep.
    Last edited by bek; 08-07-2010 at 09:49 PM.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast