Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Emma Thompson Gets Star on Hollywood Blvd Walk of Fame (August 6, 2010): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJKawB7-9Fw

peibeck, The Tall Guy is a freakin' hilarious movie -- love the pairing of Jeff Goldblum with Emma!
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-07-2010 at 03:56 AM.

vCash
    I love Emma T, and like Audrey, enjoy her films, but not a huge fan. But I don't like what Emma said. When a person is dead, why? (unless they were a very person).
    Just not in good taste.
    Note - i saw a poster at the movies today for a new Nanny McPhee movie.

vCash
    Even as a die-hard AH fan, I have to agree that in some of her weaker movies, that "twee" appeal of hers can wear pretty thin (pun intended). And yes, I don't think she was a terribly good actress (she herself admitted so), but she had what many icons of that era had: star power and charisma. Overall, she just had a naturally tender, ephemeral quality about her - someone once compared her to a doe one catches quietly grazing in the forest, and ITA. I mean, there must be some reason why she's quite possibly the most universally beloved movie actress of all time.

It makes sense to me why Emma is "trash-talking" the old MFL since she's writing the new one (she's injecting into the new one what the old one lacks and all that), but I have my doubts as to how great it will be if Keira Knightley ends up playing Eliza. I've never seen the original musical on Broadway, but many have said that the movie version was a pale recreation of it, and a remake of something that wasn't terribly good to begin with isn't always a good idea. And Emma really shouldn't comment on acting range - I think she's a very competent actress and far better than Audrey technically, but she's not exactly like Meryl Streep in that she can play almost any type of role, either.

I know a place...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    The only Audrey movie I really love is "Wait Until Dark;" Rex Harrison made "MFL" for me, not Audrey. And I must admit I abhor "Breakfast at Tiffany's," at total bastardization of Truman Capote's work.
    I agree about the book. I love the movie and the book individually for what they are.

vCash
    I have no problem with what Emma said.

Keira can be a really, really good actress. She was fantastic in Pride and Prejudice and certainly played Lizzy with her fair share of bite and wit. Atonement was also wonderful, and Cecilia had more than her fair share of bite as well. Her singing in The Edge of Love was not half bad, either (especially since, if I've read correctly, she sang all her stuff live in a real club!). I'm not sure the tone would fit MFL - though she was going for a different era, obviously. I think she could quite possibly be fab in MFL.
    Last edited by michiruwater; 08-07-2010 at 05:10 AM.

vCash
    I liked Roman Holiday and Wait Until Dark. Oh, and Charade wasn't it, with Cary Grant? Since I'm not an actress, and I liked the stories, I won't criticize.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    Has anyone beside me seen Emma Thompson in a movie called "The Tall Guy?" She is absolute hilarious in that.
    The Tall Guy is one of my favourite movies EVER.
    Plus people who *really* like Emma Thompson can see what is probably her longest nude scene ever....
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KatieC View Post
    Since I'm not an actress, and I liked the stories, I won't criticize.
    Hardly every poster on FSU is a skater and yet...
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I think Emma Thompson is overrated.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    I think Emma Thompson is overrated.
    Overrated for what? I haven't read a bunch of accolades thrown at her like I have for Meryl Streep, for example. I think Emma has a low profile at least in the U.S.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Hepburn was 'twee, mumsy and couldn't act'

I'm all for blunt honesty, but Emma sounds a tad harsh and bitchy to me.
    I guess Emma never saw Wait Until Dark, did she? Or The Nun's Story?

Quote Originally Posted by mmscfdcsu
    I just watched The Nun's Story again a couple of nights ago on YouTube. I love that movie, but it reminded me that while she was beautiful, she could not act at all.
    I'm curious as to what the basis is for your conclusion. Have you actually read the book the movie is based on, so you're familiar with the character she's portraying?

The movie of hers that I don't care for is Green Mansions, not for her performance, but because her "leading man" is Tony Perkins. After seeing him first in Psycho I can't get the spectre of Norman Bates out of my mind whenever I see him in any other role.
    Last edited by Karina1974; 08-07-2010 at 01:39 PM.

vCash

I'm already furious at her for trying to remake one of my favorite films of all time. (I literally had MFL all but memorized when I was a kid. Probably still do.) She's not helping her case here.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    I guess Emma never saw Wait Until Dark, did she? Or The Nun's Story?
    This!

vCash
    I think anyone who thinks Audrey couldn't act should watch Breakfast at Tiffany's and then watch some recent romantic comedies. Even if you don't like BaT, the difference in quality between Audrey and current rom-com actresses is astounding. She's almost the only person I know who can take one of those quirky, kooky female leads and make her sweet and charming, instead of someone that I want to hit repeatedly with a mallet.

If that's not talent, I don't know what is.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    Thompson should level her criticism where it is due - at the producing/directing team who came up with this nonsense, not at the actress who accepted a role she was offered. I'm a great AH fan, but I'm not a fan of this movie at all, and, yes, unfortunately twee is the word that applies here.
    The actress could have always said no. Christopher Plummer was offered the male lead to, but he told them that if they didn't give the role to the guy who originted the part in the theater, that he'd never act in one of their movies again.

what a glorious day!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    I think anyone who thinks Audrey couldn't act should watch Breakfast at Tiffany's and then watch some recent romantic comedies. Even if you don't like BaT, the difference in quality between Audrey and current rom-com actresses is astounding. She's almost the only person I know who can take one of those quirky, kooky female leads and make her sweet and charming, instead of someone that I want to hit repeatedly with a mallet.

If that's not talent, I don't know what is.
    This.

I saw BaT when it first came out and haven't seen it since. It has stood the test of time and (imho, of course) that is a significant achievement.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    The actress could have always said no. Christopher Plummer was offered the male lead to, but he told them that if they didn't give the role to the guy who originted the part in the theater, that he'd never act in one of their movies again.
    Interesting that he was up for the part. Wouldn't it have been funny to have Plummer and Andrews in THIS movie?

Sound of Music came out about 3 months after My Fair Lady.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    Interesting that he was up for the part. Wouldn't it have been funny to have Plummer and Andrews in THIS movie?

Sound of Music came out about 3 months after My Fair Lady.
    Actually I was wrong it was apparently Cary Grant who said that. And he just said he wouldn't even see the movie if Rex wasn't cast. The thing is apparently Warner didn't think Julie was photogenic and he might not have even offered her the part if Audrey had said no. Julie made sure to thank Warner though in her Golden Globes acceptance speech. Audrey claims she'd have never accepted the role if she had known she'd be dubbed and even once said it should have been Julie. I do have to wonder though how Audrey ever thought she could have sung the part better than Julie.
    Last edited by bek; 08-07-2010 at 04:05 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    I think you're thinking of Cary Grant. Or maybe not, because as I've heard it, he said that if Harrison didn't get it, he wouldn't go see it.

Of course, all this may be apocryphal . . .

As for Hepburn, I read that she didn't say yes to the part until they told her there was absolutely no chance they would ever give it to Andrews. That may be apocryphal too, though. All kinds of stories and legends always float around movies, and who knows which ones are true.

And as for Emma Thompson, I keep hearing she wants to cast her dear friend Hugh Grant as Higgins. Hugh Grant, whose main contribution to Sense and Sensibility was to stand around looking like a stuffed fish. Yeah, Emma, you sure know how to spot talent.

vCash
    I think just because someone is considered "iconic" doesn't mean they're beyond criticism; and everyone is entitled to their own opinion, so I don't have any problem with Emma's views. And I like Audrey.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast