Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Emma Thompson's Catty Remarks about Icon Audrey Hepburn!

Hepburn was 'twee, mumsy and couldn't act'

Thompson - who is writing a new movie version of the hit musical - says she wasn't a big fan of the 1964 film that starred Hepburn and Rex Harrison.

'I'm not hugely fond of the film,' she says. 'I find Audrey Hepburn fantastically twee.'
    When asked by The Hollywood Reporter what 'twee' means, Thompson says: 'Twee is whimsy without wit. It is mimsy-mumsy sweetness without any kind of bite. And that's not for me.
    I think 'twee' has been used right here to describe certain skaters....

She can't sing and she can't really act, I'm afraid.

'I'm sure she was a delightful woman - and perhaps if I had known her I would have enjoyed her acting more, but I don't and I didn't, so that's all there is to it really.'
    Talk about stabbing a sacred cow. I know some people consider this one of Audrey's weakest roles, and a lot of people wanted Julie Andrews to do the film version, but I love Audrey. And I didn't always. But several of her films have made such an impression on me that she has become one of my favorites...

I'm all for blunt honesty, but Emma sounds a tad harsh and bitchy to me.

She is a decent screenwriter, and I look forward to her version of My Fair Lady....

Discuss.

vCash
    I liked Hepburn in The Nun's Story.

vCash
    I'm waiting for Emma to rip into Natalie Wood as the next dead Hollywood icon on her list who can't sing or act and who had Marni Nixon dub her singing in a musical (West Side Story). I don't think Emma knew her, so that evidently lessens the odds of her liking her acting abilities. If that doesn't satisfy her need to diss, then there's always Deborah Kerr -- but perhaps she will grant that Kerr could act, if not sing (Marni Nixon to the rescue once again, this time for The King and I).

I wish her luck with her verion of My Fair Lady. Since it will be greatly shortened, I expect it should fit 21st century audiences attention spans. BTW, I also like Pygmalion but comparing GBS's play to MFL is apples to oranges -- or apples to chocolates.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    I liked Hepburn in The Nun's Story.
    Her best performance, IMO. It's a great movie. Everytime I watch it or think about it the words "pride and disobedience" stick out for some reason .

Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    I'm waiting for Emma to rip into Natalie Wood as the next dead Hollywood icon on her list who can't sing or act and who had Marni Nixon dub her singing in a musical (West Side Story). I don't think Emma knew her, so that evidently lessens the odds of her liking her acting abilities. If that doesn't satisfy her need to diss, then there's always Deborah Kerr -- but perhaps she will grant that Kerr could act, if not sing (Marni Nixon to the rescue once again, this time for The King and I).

I wish her luck with her verion of My Fair Lady. Since it will be greatly shortened, I expect it should fit 21st century audiences attention spans. BTW, I also like Pygmalion but comparing GBS's play to MFL is apples to oranges -- or apples to chocolates.
    She could have said it about just about anyone else and I don't think I would have gotten annoyed.

Unless it was Barbara Stanwyck. Then I'd travel to the UK so I could CUT HER .

vCash
    To be fair (no pun intended), Julie Andrews was essentially robbed of the role, and Audrey Hepburn really can't sing, hence the dubbing. And this comes from someone who loves that film.

Skating Pairs with Drew
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Her best performance, IMO. It's a great movie. Everytime I watch it or think about it the words "pride and disobedience" stick out for some reason .

:.
    I just watched The Nun's Story again a couple of nights ago on YouTube. I love that movie, but it reminded me that while she was beautiful, she could not act at all.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazpacho View Post
    To be fair (no pun intended), Julie Andrews was essentially robbed of the role, and Audrey Hepburn really can't sing, hence the dubbing. And this comes from someone who loves that film.
    I think Audrey was perfect for the role, so perfect that the dubbing doesn't even bother me. And her chemistry with Harrison was

I love Emma as an actor and screenwriter but don't diss my Audrey, girl.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    Thompson should level her criticism where it is due - at the producing/directing team who came up with this nonsense, not at the actress who accepted a role she was offered. I'm a great AH fan, but I'm not a fan of this movie at all, and, yes, unfortunately twee is the word that applies here.

vCash
    I would've preferred to see Julie Andrews in the role since she originated it, but I actually enjoyed Audrey Hepburn. Yeah, she was dubbed, but I thought she was charming without being "twee."

I know a place...
    vCash
    I love Audrey Hepburn, but I don't consider her a great actress. She was good at what she did, and that was mostly romantic comedies. However I still love Breakfast at Tiffany's and I still think that and Two for the Road were her best ones. Mostly because they were different roles for her.

vCash
    Did Julie Andrews pay her to say that?

That being said, I kind of agree. Audrey Hepburn is great in some films, but the character in My Fair Lady needs some underlying steel, which IMHO you don't get just by yelling in a faux-Cockney accent.

She looks great in the post-transformation dresses, though.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    I think Audrey was perfect for the role, so perfect that the dubbing doesn't even bother me. And her chemistry with Harrison was
    I love Audrey Hepburn, but mainly because she is so charismatic, graceful and lovely. I could look at her all day. She is not a good actress IMO, but she is not annoyingly bad either.

I love Emma as an actor and screenwriter but don't diss my Audrey, girl.
    What would be the point of making another My Fair Lady movie if the first one were perfect?

vCash
    I agree with Emma. And I LOATHED Breakfast at Tiffany's.

vCash
    Emma T has a pretty biting sense of humour. Her diaries from Sense and Sensibility are a fantastic read! But she can be merciless. I haven't seen a lot of AH's work- but from what I have seen- I don't have huge issues with what ET has said.

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    The only Audrey movie I really love is "Wait Until Dark;" Rex Harrison made "MFL" for me, not Audrey. And I must admit I abhor "Breakfast at Tiffany's," at total bastardization of Truman Capote's work.

Has anyone beside me seen Emma Thompson in a movie called "The Tall Guy?" She is absolute hilarious in that.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    I'm another Breakfast at Tiffany's hater. They basically erased the story and made a travel film for New York.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I find that I too agree with Emma.

Quote Originally Posted by The Accordion View Post
    Emma T has a pretty biting sense of humour. Her diaries from Sense and Sensibility are a fantastic read!
    Where did you read that? Is that a book? Sounds like a good piece of snark I wouldn't want to miss.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Accordion View Post
    Emma T has a pretty biting sense of humour. Her diaries from Sense and Sensibility are a fantastic read! But she can be merciless. I haven't seen a lot of AH's work- but from what I have seen- I don't have huge issues with what ET has said.
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    The only Audrey movie I really love is "Wait Until Dark;" Rex Harrison made "MFL" for me, not Audrey. And I must admit I abhor "Breakfast at Tiffany's," at total bastardization of Truman Capote's work.

Has anyone beside me seen Emma Thompson in a movie called "The Tall Guy?" She is absolute hilarious in that.
    Quote Originally Posted by jenny12 View Post
    I'm another Breakfast at Tiffany's hater. They basically erased the story and made a travel film for New York.
    Capote actually wanted Marilyn Monroe for the part of Holly. Mickey Rooney's racist portrayal of the Japanese landlord ruins the movie, I'm afraid. I don't like too many musicals, so I can take or leave MFL, but Emma best be leavin' Audrey alone.

vCash
    I think a lot of stars during the golden age of Hollywood were movie stars first and actors second. Most of them were a natural on the big screen but there wasn't a demand for them to show a big range of acting skills like a Meryl Streep.

I thought Audrey did a good job in MFL. Not sure Julie Andrew should've won the Oscar for MP though, since that role was somewhat one dimensional. MP has not aged well at all; It's so freaking boring to watch now.

vCash
    I LOATHED Breakfast at Tiffany's.
    I thought we had one thing in common.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast