Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Woman faked cancer to raise money

Woman faked cancer to raise money

She is probably not the first person to do something like this, but cancer is horrible, horrible disease and this IMO goes beyond the pale.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Wow. That girl sounds like a complete mess.

And it's too bad, because the Change for a Cure idea is a really good one. Perhaps some of the people who were working with her could turn it into something legitimate.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    It's just beyond me how some people are capable of faking such a horrible thing.

vCash
    I'm on a message board where last winter, a popular and long time poster faked her husband's illness and then DEATH to get money from the people on there. It worked too, I don't know how many people actually sent her money but it was a good amount. Some people figured it out a couple weeks later when they couldn't find a death announcement in her hometown's paper. She made some lame excuses and then dissappeared. It was a really sad situation all around.

vCash
    I did a story about 6 years ago about a women in Racine WI where a women did this. She got about 70K before some of the fundraisers figured it out. She lived across the street from the fire dept. Fooled even the paramedics.
    Whenever someone questioned her about her illness (I think it was cervical cancer) she would lose weight, shave her head. She even went as far as asking people to drive her to the hospital for Chemo. I can't remember what she used to throw up (some type of sryup). She had 2 really young kids and a husband.
    She was arrested and found guilty. Very sad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MikiAndoFan#1 View Post
    It's just beyond me how some people are capable of faking such a horrible thing.
    Same here. Just read a Facebook post from the teenager that used to babysit me son. She gave money to this women.

vCash
    There have been a few cases like this. One woman did it to get off work.

There was also a case of a woman who went to great lengths to fake cancer, but not for the money. In fact, she didn't pocket anything, as she told anyone who wanted to give money to instead donate it to charity. She simply wanted the attention and sympathy.

vCash
    I think this happens more than people realize. We've had a case here in my state too. I'm not sure how much money she stole from people. The big problem is that these people didn't have much themselves but helped her anyway. It got ugly when the truth came out.
    "Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

vCash
    I agree with mpal2 - I've seen this happen several times on another forum I used to visit (no money involved, but people would do it for the attention). Needless to say, it really pissed off the people who had actual, very serious, health problems. And it makes me really angry too - I work with a lot of cancer patients and it is a horrible, horrible disease. Reading this girl's story seriously makes my blood boil

vCash
    I had a cousin who faked cancer and several other traumas to get money and sympathy out of family members. The lies went on for about 5 years before people found out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mkats View Post
    I agree with mpal2 - I've seen this happen several times on another forum I used to visit (no money involved, but people would do it for the attention). Needless to say, it really pissed off the people who had actual, very serious, health problems. And it makes me really angry too - I work with a lot of cancer patients and it is a horrible, horrible disease. Reading this girl's story seriously makes my blood boil
    The Globe and Mail newspaper did an investigation piece on cancer a couple of years. There was a statement in the piece that I will never forget. It went something like this, "People in our society have become so accustomed to cancer that some have forgotten what truly horrible disease it is".

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    This is why I never give money to strangers. I will give to the red cross and united way through work, but otherwise, I don't give money to people I don't know.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

vCash
    Karma on this would totally suck!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    The Globe and Mail newspaper did an investigation piece on cancer a couple of years. There was a statement in the piece that I will never forget. It went something like this, "People in our society have become so accustomed to cancer that some have forgotten what truly horrible disease it is".
    One of the nicest ladies that I've ever known was diagnosed with cancer recently and it was horrible and shocking to witness her deterioration. She literally went from being cheerful, confident, and beautiful to at death's door within a couple of weeks. I visited with her just a few days before she passed away and she was entirely a different person.

Which is why this article just makes me want to maybe I should stay out of this thread, because every time I wander in here I can feel my blood pressure shooting up.

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    As someone from a very cancer-prone family, and who has dealt with it twice, I think this is totally and utterly repulsive. And unfortunately, probably goes on more often than is ever brought to light (especially the "attention-seeking" kind, since that isn't considered criminal). For anyone who felt invested in this b*tch, I am sure it feels very much like emotional rape.
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    What a terrible person!

vCash
    I know it's bad to take advantage of anyone, no matter their age, but somehow it feels especially bad that she was tricking young people for whom this would really seem to be their first major experience with organized giving. I hope this doesn't put them off completely.

vCash
    Granted, this was an awful thing to do. But this woman has got some really serious problems and needs some help.

Just heard on the news that she's in jail on three counts of fraud.
    Last edited by Japanfan; 08-08-2010 at 08:39 AM.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Heard on last night's news that her "reasoning" for doing this was her awful childhood.

I am so sick and tired of people using that as an excuse when they get caught for something like this. Especially for what she did though.

Cancer runs in my family and I've lost friends to it. It is beyond a horrible, horrible disease and anyone doing something like this...It's repulsive!!

vCash
    Couldn't agree more. Sadly there will always be these pathetic persons who'll exploit anything and any disease to get attention, fame or money. It's despicable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast