Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Kids who hate to read?? HELP!

I am looking for any advice out there. My daughter HATES reading. She is a very talented reader so its not a lack of ability. She is 6 and is tested at a 5th grade reading level. But to get her to read is a complete struggle ending up with her crying.

I have offered her every book out there from skating to current movies.. Ect..

Looking for any advice from anyone who has dealt with the matter! thanks!!

vCash
    If she's reading at that level, just let her be. When she's ready to read, she'll pick up a book on her own.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    If she's reading at that level, just let her be. When she's ready to read, she'll pick up a book on her own.
    Agree. If she's 6 and already reading at a 5th grade level, what's there to worry about?

Speaking of which, I'm very grateful my parents never put me in Kumon. Even though I was good at math, I HATED it.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    Do you read? The thing that gets most kids reading once they're past the picture book stage is being in a house where others are reading for pleasure.

If she's only 6, then even if she's a very good reader, most of her "enjoyment" reading would likely be being read to, not reading independantly.

Books I read with my kids when they were 6- Amelia Bedelia, The Littles, The Borrowers, Junie B. Jones.

And their chosen books, once they did start to read alone, were not the same ones their siblings liked, and none of them became fans of the ones I liked.

I liked reading the traditional ones- Little House on the Prairie, Anne of Green Gables
    My eldest daughter liked reading classics- Shakespeare and Dickens in elementary school.
    My middle child (girl) likes dark and depressing first person stories.
    My son likes goofy adventure stuff- Captain Underpants, The Olympians, Diary of a Wimpy Kid

eta- I noticed when my eldest daughter started school that as soon as reading was assigned as homework, her time spent reading dropped off sharply. So I told my kids it was our secret, but that we didn't read for homework in our house, reading was something we do for pleasure, when we feel like it. We would fill in their reading logs with fake entries. Some days they'd read for 4 hours with a new book, sometimes they wouldn't read at all for a few days. (Assigned specific reading was different of course)
    Last edited by rjblue; 08-06-2010 at 04:53 AM.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    This...

My daughter hated to read. I bought her every Junie B Jones (because they read them at school and she wanted them), Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen books (same) and anything else she wanted from Scholastic. I did this to get her to read because I love to read. I also read to them when they were little a lot.

Son well he had reading issues and hated to read for different reasons. But he always wanted books too so I bought them.

Nothing I did made them read those books. They didn't read the AR books at school even knowing they were going to get prizes for reading and man they give some great prizes at the end of the year (32' tv/dvd combos ect). Then when my daughter got in 10th grade, magically all she wanted to do was/is read. She has so many books it's unreal and Books A Million is her favorite store.

If you try to force her to read, she'll always hate it. So, just let her have whatever books she wants and she'll eventually pick them up and read them.
    Have you hugged your kids and told them you love them today?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rjblue View Post

If she's only 6, then even if she's a very good reader, most of her "enjoyment" reading would likely be being read to, not reading independantly.

Books I read with my kids when they were 6- Amelia Bedelia, The Littles, The Borrowers, Junie B. Jones.
    I think this is a good idea. Other good read aloud chapter books are Charlotte's Web and The Trumpet of the Swan, most Beverly Cleary books, the Amber Brown books by Paula Danziger, Winnie the Pooh by AA Milne, Mary Poppins, by PL Travers. Having picture books read to them is a wonderful and relaxing no pressure activity for kids - current popular books are Diary of a Worm, by Doreen Cronin, Angelina Ballerina by Holabird, anything by John Sciezka. Fairy tales are very popular with this age group too and there are some amazingly illustrated ones out there like Paul Zelinski's Rapunzel. Fractured fairy tales are just as good, in addition to the above mentioned John Sciezka, Falling for Rapunzel or Waking Beauty by Leah Wilcox or Shampoozel and the other books by Laurence Anholt. Also, don't hesitate to read her favorite books over and over again (no matter how awful they might be to you) My daughter has always loved to read, but she adored me reading The Book that Jack Wrote to her over and over again.

Finally, I also agree with those who suggest not worrying about it. She can read well, so that's great, but it's important for her to follow her other interests too. Maybe reading will take a larger role in her life later on.

vCash
    I agree about just letting her find her own way with it. Particularly if she is reading above her age.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Read to her. Don't insist she read (we also don't read for homework in my house.) My now 10 year old was at a similar level when she was in grade 1. She never read anything but we continued to read to her. Suddenly this year she has decided to read and has read more books than I can count! We are a big reading family. Eldest dd is an avid reader. Always has been. We all sit around in the winter and read books. We just read to the younger one and didn't push it. Like I said, now she reads.

I really think that the reading for homework is a real turn off for some kids. Reading should be fun!
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by redonthehead View Post
    If you try to force her to read, she'll always hate it. So, just let her have whatever books she wants and she'll eventually pick them up and read them.
    ITA.

Do you read to her? Maybe a 5-minute bedtime reading would be beneficial to you both - you can feel proactive and she can continue to be exposed to books. Plus it's a nice bonding time. Even if her skills are beyond her age, a 6-year-old probably doesn't have the attention span to sit still and read anything for very long.

I'm a huge reader and was always advanced in English classes, but I don't think the habit really kicked in until I was in 4th grade. I vividly remember my teacher Mrs. Lisandrelli reading The Indian In The Cupboard to us. Thank you, Mrs. L!

vCash
    The worst thing you could do is trying to force her. I agree about reading to her. And leave the subject of her reading herself of the table for at least half a year now.

vCash
    Agree about reading to her! My dad would read through books to us every evening until we were 10-11. Not just 5 minutes, but a full 30 min, sometimes more (he enjoyed the books as well, since it was the books he'd read as a child).

It gave us the love of reading, and we'd a load on the side ourselves - wanting to cover all the other books in the series and stuff.

Thunder & Lightning!!!
    vCash
    I agree about reading to her/with her.

A great series is the Narnia books
    Peace & Love, Gypsy
    Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.

vCash
    Read to her, don't worry about her lack of interest in reading to herself.

What non-reading activities does she enjoy?

vCash
    One thing you could try is listening to books on tape, especially during a long car ride. It's not the same thing, but it's still beneficial and might inspire her to pick up more books on her own.

vCash
    My daughter is also age 6, and way above her grade level in reading. But most of the reading she wants done, and that we do, is us reading to her. It's a bonding thing, and it's normal for her age to enjoy being read to. As others have said, my suggestion would be for you to consider taking a step back, and reading to her, rather than pressing her to read on her own. You may find that as you read, she takes over for a few pages; then you're in charge again. That's what often happens with my daughter.

Read to her every day, maybe just before bed. Make it part of the going-to-bed ritual. She gets to pick the book. Doesn't matter if it's a beginning reader book, or 5th grade level - let her pick. Then you read it, with no pressure for her to read. Do that for a good while - see how it goes.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

fragrance free
    vCash
    Don't force her to read. Try reading a book or two from a series to her. If you are reading a certain amount each day and she is interested in the story she may start to read to find out what happens. Also don't worry about the reading level of the books, look for something which is interesting to her.

Some good series - The Magic Tree House books, Harry Potter books, and The Warrior Cat books
    Last edited by timing; 08-06-2010 at 03:29 PM. Reason: typed wrong word

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    I agree about reading to her/with her.

A great series is the Narnia books
    ITA! We did all of those, the Arthur Ransome collection (maybe that's too old and British for a young, contemporary American audience, but those are the ones we enjoyed the most), most of Roal Dahl, many biographies or inventors and explorers, some adapted for children, some not, some great classics like Oliver Twist, the March girls, Tom Sawyer...

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Also make sure she has an eye exam. My oldest stepdaughter hated to read and was diagnosed with a focusing problem long after fixing it would have done her some good. Now she's 40 and still doesn't read for pleasure....it's probably not that, but it's worth checking out.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    Are there any reading clubs for kids you could join, e.g., at the local library? There is one at my 7 year old's camp and one at our local library. My son's competitive nature has him reading up a storm! He also likes getting prizes.

Also, we buy some of our books through Amazon (they're kids books have been buy 3, get one free). I let my son sit at the computer and pick the books he wants. He then gets impatient waiting for the delivery and dives right in as soon as they arrive!
    Creating drama!

vCash
    My nephew didn't like reading on his own at 6 and 7 either. He still wanted to be read to. We read every night before he went to sleep and every morning when he woke up, it was a ritual. Gradually, it started to be him reading to me more than me reading to him. He is 15 now and reads everything he can get his hands on.

Make a specific time that you read together and the rest will come.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast