Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    if they stay in business, you should have to pay for the magazines and newspapers before you steal them, I mean read them and put them back
    Seriously. That's what a library is for. Libraries get magazines. More of them need to install coffee places, though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    Seriously. That's what a library is for. Libraries get magazines. More of them need to install coffee places, though.
    That is true!
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Probably not the same article, but this from Small Beer Press spells it out pretty clearly: http://smallbeerpress.com/not-a-jour...de-surely-not/

But back to the gorilla: Amazon sold a couple of thousand copies of our paper books last year—and we just don’t care. They’ve negotiated horribly high discounts with publishers and distributors so that we, for example, receive about 34%* of the retail price of a book sold on their site. (So $5.44 on a $16 paperback to pay the printer, freight, author, artist, ads, etc., etc. Yep, that math works out well.)
    Small Beer Press was quoted in the article I linked to too. I feel for bad for that company.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    Best idea ever!!!

vCash
    That's exactly what I was thinking. Right now I use B&N as a read-in library with a coffee shop.

I will miss it if it's gone, but not much. Certainly not enough to start buying books.

B&N can change its business model a little to work like a library. I don't have any well thought out ideas. Just a thought.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    maybe they see how cheap slobs get coffee and chocolate all over the newspapers and magazines at book stores and wisely avoid it. the cafe part of my borders looks like the bus station of the damned.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genegri View Post
    B&N can change its business model a little to work like a library. I don't have any well thought out ideas. Just a thought.
    It's not a bad idea, but how would they make money on that?

I have to say that while I love the B&N cafe, I do NOT like getting books with fingerprints, smudges, crumbs and coffee dribbles from all the people who think the cafe is a free reading room. It's one reason to buy e-books.

Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    maybe they see how cheap slobs get coffee and chocolate all over the newspapers and magazines at book stores and wisely avoid it. the cafe part of my borders looks like the bus station of the damned.
    The main library at my college has a Starbucks smack in the middle and students are allowed to eat and drink anywhere in that library, even at the computers and in the labs. We also have computers in the main cafeteria and some of the little eating places around campus.

The keyboards in the cafeteria are replaced every 10 days or so; fear not, they are cleaned and returned nearly all the time until they are unsuable, but talk about gross. I've seen some of them when they are being cleaned .

The main library has become the campus hangout. There's lots of activity all the time; students sit around, drink coffee, munch on snacks, chat, surf the net, do homework, watch TV even, whatever. It's actually a pretty happy place. The playgroup/collaborative learning generation thrives in this kind of environment. And most of the students are very good about cleaning up behind themselves.

But the maintenance people had to be tripled after the renovation and policy change (five years ago, it was a traditional library, all books and silence). They do a great job; it's always clean and I have yet to see a single spill stain. But it takes a lot of people to keep it that way and I don't know how most public libraries, already suffering from budget and staff cuts, could do that. OTOH, I do think that is where libraries will end up going; I can already see signs of my local branch moving in that direction.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    B&N does let its employees "check out" books. So they do sort of function as a library.

I'd feel bad about reading books in the store, but the one near me encourages it. I don't eat/drink while I do it- but they have couches and cushy chairs set up, all with little end tables. They wouldn't have tables if they didn't expect you to bring your latte over.

This is completely seperate from the gated off starbucks area which has tables/chairs that are more like a bistro.

vCash
    My college has a coffee shop at the undergrad library -- but food and drink are NOT allowed in the stacks or at the computers. Both of the public libraries in the two towns in which the campus is located have coffee shops with sandwiches and pastries -- but they have clearly designated areas where food and beverages can be consumed (which is in the newspaper and magazine section in one). I always buy the newspapers or magazines that I browse through in the Border's Cafe -- and the same for any books that I start reading while eating/drinking. If I'm not sure if I'll buy the book, I don't look at it while there are foodstuffs around. I will be if my local Border's closes; I suppose I can turn to the B&N store, but it's just not in as convenient a location for me and for some reason I always found the store layout depressing (haven't been inside in at least 4 years, so maybe it's different now).

vCash
    One thing to remember is that there are plenty of Americans who live in small towns and don't have access to bookstores on a regular basis. I buy about three fourths of my books from Amazon because, where I live, there is no bookstore (really, nothing. No idependent shop, no B&N or Borders, nothing ) to shop from. Unless you live in a fairly large area, books simply are not available from anywhere but libraries, e-readers, and online shopping.

I always go to B&N or Borders when I'm travelling and know I'll come across one. I also love discovering independent shops while on vacation and usually always buy something. But it isn't possible most of the time.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RockTheTassel View Post
    One thing to remember is that there are plenty of Americans who live in small towns and don't have access to bookstores on a regular basis. I buy about three fourths of my books from Amazon because, where I live, there is no bookstore (really, nothing. No idependent shop, no B&N or Borders, nothing ) to shop from. Unless you live in a fairly large area, books simply are not available from anywhere but libraries, e-readers, and online shopping.
    I do realize that. I've lived in places like that.

But if you buy online, consider buying from B&N or Borders or any other brick and mortar bookstore. Online sales help keep the bookstores going, too .
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    I've been known to look at a book while at B&N. I almost never buy anything at the cafe, so there were no crumbs or anything on the books. I always feel guilty about it though, it was ingrained in me in childhood that reading a magazine while in the check out line at a grocery story was stealing it.

vCash
    Borders has filed for bankruptcy too

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    I'm half afraid to ask if our local store is on the block. Lots of other big chains who filed bankruptcy closed the local versions. I fear it will be one of the 200.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

gold dust woman
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazpacho View Post
    Borders has filed for bankruptcy too
    This has been in the works for years now...I remember hearing that they were in trouble 2-3 years ago.

The problem with Borders and B&N is that they aren't competitive with Amazon when it comes to prices. Sometimes I will look at a book at Borders or B&N, and then go home and buy it on Amazon for $5-10 less (and I make sure to get free shipping.) I'd rather wait a little bit to get a better price.

I do enjoy the bargain book sections at the big bookstores though.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Veronika View Post

Sometimes I will look at a book at Borders or B&N, and then go home and buy it on Amazon for $5-10 less (and I make sure to get free shipping.) I'd rather wait a little bit to get a better price.
    Which is a big part of the reason bookstores are getting more scarce.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

gold dust woman
    vCash
    So why don't they try to offer more competitive prices?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Veronika View Post
    So why don't they try to offer more competitive prices?
    The have the operating expenses of running a store, Amazon doesn't. If you look at B&Ns website, you'll see prices lower than in-store. If you simply can't support a local business, then at least order from their online site. Order your TVs from Amazon, books from BOOKSTORES.

vCash
    And while you're at it, quit buying groceries at supermarkets. Those little mom and pop corner markets or bodegas need your custom. And no buying clothes from malls. The dressmaker down the street is about ready to go out of business because everyone insists on buying ready-to-wear clothes. I'm thinking of reopening my coal chute so that I can burn locally produced coal to heat my house rather than depending on my public utility based in far off Minnesota.

gold dust woman
    vCash
    Order your TVs from Amazon, books from BOOKSTORES.
    I got my new TV at Best Buy, is that okay?

Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    And while you're at it, quit buying groceries at supermarkets. Those little mom and pop corner markets or bodegas need your custom. And no buying clothes from malls. The dressmaker down the street is about ready to go out of business because everyone insists on buying ready-to-wear clothes. I'm thinking of reopening my coal chute so that I can burn locally produced coal to heat my house rather than depending on my public utility based in far off Minnesota.

I figure that the people working at my local chain stores are local people, so that's good enough for me.

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast