Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dinakt View Post
    I really loved the flagship Barnes and Noble on 65th and Broadway, 5 huge floors filled with books, interesting authors making guest appearances. Was shocked that it closed in early January. There used to be huge Tower Records across from it some years ago, which closed- though corporate, those two stores for me were a part of life around Lincoln Center, and their features selections reflected that. I seriously doubt whatever is done with Barnes and Noble space would be better for the area. E-readers are great, but there is great pleasure in browsing books, not knowing what you'd find, looking forward to discovery. That it might disappear makes me sad.
    This is a great post. I loved that store too - would visit every time I went to NY.

I totally agree with your comment about prowling the aisles. I've found my favorite books that way. There's something about holding a new book in your hands or being able to go back to an old favorite.

vCash
    It's nice that you all save money from ordering online, but please consider occasionally supporting your local bookstores. Or your local stores in general. You keep people employed and help your city's tax base.

I love going to book stores. Please help keep them open.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    It's nice that you all save money from ordering online, but please consider occasionally supporting your local bookstores. Or your local stores in general. You keep people employed and help your city's tax base.

I do my part at my local Borders. I refuse to buy books from Wal-mart. Speaking of, I have a 40% off coupon that expires Monday. Mall trip!
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post

^THIS! People, you keep your local stores in place by going to visit them once in a while. And if you like to order online, consider having the store place the order for you--even over the phone. Oftentimes the store gets credit for the sale and it's no difference to you in price.

That said, it'll be a very tragic day when bookstores are gone. One of the few great places to just wander and explore.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    Speaking of, I have a 40% off coupon that expires Monday. Mall trip!
    And this is one of the reasons they're in trouble. They coupon-ed themselves into worse financial trouble over the past several months.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
    And this is one of the reasons they're in trouble. They coupon-ed themselves into worse financial trouble over the past several months.
    Yeah, they just sent me a coupon for a free small coffee.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    Going to a bookstore is a sensory experience that a little hand held piece of plastic just can't duplicate.
    I take my cold little piece of plastic to my local bookstore all time, because Barnes and Noble gives me incentive to do so. And I see other people with their handheld pieces of plastic, too. There are, of course, still plenty of people with handheld pieces of print.

Bookstores were already on their way out before e-readers came along; it's those cold little pieces of plastic that are keeping Barnes and Noble in business.

If you want to know why bookstores are dying, look no further than:

www.amazon.com

And this:

Reading Study Shows Remarkable Decline in U.S.

And to some degree, used book sales.

People, you keep your local stores in place by going to visit them once in a while.
    Absolutely. If you want to save bookstores, you are going to have to actually go to one and spend money. If you have been buying used books, borrowing from the library and then occasionally buying something from Amazon, then you have done exactly as much to save your beloved bookstores as have people who don't buy books at all. If you buy all your books from Amazon (as I have seen many posters here say they do), then you have done exactly as much to save your beloved bookstores as people who don't buy books at all.

Just a few years ago, people were complaining that stores like Barnes and Noble and Borders were driving the independent bookstores out of business. The fate of independent bookstores should tell you something about how much people in general value the bookstore experience.

Meanwhile I'll keep buying e-books from Barnes and Noble on my little piece of handheld plastic, and taking it to the store and buying stuff there, too, and maybe Barnes and Noble will be able to stay in business for a few more years.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    In celebration of the mom and pop bookstore, I give you my favorite:

http://www.phillipsandlloyd.com/

It's my favorite place. I've quit buying books from anyone but them or perhaps the occasional B&N. And I buy a lot of books, even though most are papeback. P&L is in Hayesville, NC, and about 30 minutes away from me, which isn't too far. If they don't have the book I want, they will order it and it always comes on either Tuesday or Friday after ordered. They have a tea room and many wonderful things made by local craftspeople. Not crafty junk, but beautifully made items, and they aren't too expensive. They host local writers and are involved in lots of community projects. The owner has a loval radio show about what's new with books.

Best of all, they are cat people, and one of their foundlings, Shakespeare, lives in the bookstore while they are there during the day. He has a bed in the window.

And yes, the store is in an old historic building on the town square. Just around the corner is a joint knitting/jewelry shop. The bookstore owner is also a knitter, and the jeweler makes cool contemporary jewelry and has won awards. It's sort of a heavenly little corner!

Tell me about your favorite book store, anybody! These are treasures to be savored and shared.

vCash
    I much prefer e-books.

That being said, I really enjoy going to B&N wandering about and browsing. It's one of my favorite things to do in winter, especially on a Thursday evening. I never buy books from B&N or anywhere (as I said, I prefer e-books), but I almost always buy a venti mocha and consider that my contribution.

I would think Borders would be in trouble before B&N. Let's wait and see. I am inclined to believe this is just a strategic move.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
    Very interesting. Wonder if the big store is out, and the smaller, mom & pop style store would could do very well. I love the small bookstores (what is left of them), but B&N has always has good customer service too. As much as I love my computer etc, wandering in a bookstore is a favorite pasttime. Hope that does not go away.
    I love relaxing at B&N (even more than at Borders) with a coffee or hot chocolate and a stack of magazines and books. I hope that won't be taken away from me and others like me.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I love relaxing at B&N (even more than at Borders) with a coffee or hot chocolate and a stack of magazines and books. I hope that won't be taken away from me and others like me.
    Do you buy the stack of magazines and books?
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Do you buy the stack of magazines and books?
    LOL. I don't buy them, that's why I love it.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    LOL. I don't buy them, that's why I love it.
    Exactly. But you'll miss bookstores when they're gone.

vCash
    The times they are a changin' and not always for the better. I love books, libraries, and bookstores. It is sad to them die a slow death. EMI music is also in serious trouble.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Maybe, but I always buy other stuff as well.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    Maybe, but I always buy other stuff as well.
    Unfortunately there weren't enough like you.

Title-less
    vCash
    I don't ever go to the local Borders because 1) They moved into an upscale neighborhood; 2) I have trouble finding anything and 3) you need a coupon just to get the item to be reasonably priced.

I prefer B&N.

Quote Originally Posted by dinakt View Post
    I There used to be huge Tower Records across from it some years ago, which closed- though corporate, those two stores for me were a part of life around Lincoln Center, and their features selections reflected that. .
    I miss Tower REcords.

vCash
    My husband and I always buy books from either B&N or Borders. Where I live the Borders is in a mall across the street from the B&N. The only time we buy books from a different source is when we buy Islamic books from a bookstore in a local mosque.

I love the atmosphere of bookstores in general (I have to admit that I find the Borders in the mall to be a bit too crowded sometimes but I suppose that is actually a good thing since it means more customers). I like browsing through a few books to see which one is actually worth buying and drinking a latte while doing it. I admit that sometimes there isn't a book that piques my interest enough to buy but I still enjoy the process.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    Our town has a B&N (always very crowded), Borders (not so much traffic), very busy independent bookstore on the walk mall, and a half-dozen or so used or collectible book shops. The two I think are survivors are the B&N (handily located across the parking lot from a huge Whole Foods) and the independent. I buy children's books at the independent bookstore -- the folks there know their books, and are great helping me find new treasures, but I rarely buy anything else there because they've taken the approach of putting all fiction into one big section, and I can't browse well by mysteries, science fiction, romantic suspense,... and the folks who work there don't seem to read "category" books unless they're written by somebody like Steig Larson.

I do like Amazon. A lot. They add huge value to my book-buying and book-searching experience because they've got an incredible database, and their book search capabilities are amazing. Even our librarians go to Amazon when they want to get detailed information about a book. And we've saved hundreds and hundreds of dollars on my daughter's college textbooks by ordering them used on Amazon. I like that they keep a lot of backlist titles available (something our B&N and independent bookstore does not much do except for hugely popular authors) and I like the reviews. To me, Amazon delivers a value far greater than any discount on the actual books, most of which is lost in shipping costs anyway. (We do Amazon Prime, but I still figure that every order costs us about $3 in a proportionate share of the Prime charge.)

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Doesn't Amazon sell from smaller retailers? They collect everything in one big database, but the smaller retailers ship it and make $$. I've gotten many items from all over the country that I ordered from Amazon-books, toys, etc. So isn't Amazon helping support the smaller bookstores and other shops by helping them sell? Does this make Amazon not the big bad wolf? Or is their but too large? Correct me if I'm mistaken.

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast