Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post

Considering that BN is going to push a huge campaign promoting nooks by clearing out more store space to create nook boutiques, the nook isn't going anywhere.
    Eh....I'm not so sure. The problem is if they completely tie Nook to their store and website. Kindle's price already dropped and in most people's heads, "on-line bookseller" = "Amazon.com." People who shop on-line for books are likely to go there first, and less likely to be willing to trudge to a physical store for an e-product. Amazon's very good at being a virtual store, while if BN tries to be virtual with a physical space, they're basically trying to compete with Amazon with a much lower profit margin.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Eh....I'm not so sure. The problem is if they completely tie Nook to their store and website. Kindle's price already dropped and in most people's heads, "on-line bookseller" = "Amazon.com." People who shop on-line for books are likely to go there first, and less likely to be willing to trudge to a physical store for an e-product. Amazon's very good at being a virtual store, while if BN tries to be virtual with a physical space, they're basically trying to compete with Amazon with a much lower profit margin.
    Actually, many people who buy ipads and nooks like the idea of trying out the product before they commit major $$$ to it. Plus people like the idea of in-store support and in-store features. Why do you think Apple stores have popped up all around the country in places where people never had access to apple computers before? Why do you think BN is increasing their coverage to Best Buy?

If physical stores aren't a plus, why did Amazon start selling Kindles in Targets to offset that advantage?

Of course, since Kindle got a 2 year head-start and is a monster of a company, their product is more successful. Barnes and Noble's old marketing plan was always more of a insular one where they hardly did (if they ever) outside advertisement. It was increasing their base through their loyal customers who shop at book stores regularly. Nook is forcing BN to start outward advertising and re-think their strategies. Will it be as successful as Kindle and iPad? Probably not, but it's already a big hit and the numbers keep growing and it's proven to be lucrative for the company already.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    I had thought Borders would go first, actually. A friend of mine heard a rumor about it. But maybe she heard wrong . . .
    I thought this was the case, as well I prefer Borders because they send coupons all the time and you don't have to pay for a membership to get their rewards. I also prefer Seattle's Best over Starbucks.

vCash
    Borders was a buyout target last year - their stock was trading at 50 cents a share - but not sure they had any serious offers. The stock price rebouding some since then.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    I am not a Barnes Noble fan. I prefer Borders. I dont like that you have to pay to be a discount rewards member. However Borders is free and you get a great coupon each week. But I do agree if I am no in a hurry to get a book I just get it off Amazon. It is usually cheaper on adult books. Kids books however are about the same.

And I cant stand kindle or reading in Ibooks.. So the digital will have no effect on my book buying!

vCash
    B&N used to have great coupons all the time. Not so much anymore. Usually if they offer a 40 percent one these days, it's for a specific book or books.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    I was considering buying a nook but now I'm questioning if it's a smart move given the for sale status of B&N.

Does Kindle still charge a surcharge to download books?

vCash
    Big bookstores nearing end of their shelf life?

The two largest U.S. bookstore chains have offered up a compelling cliffhanger this holiday season that will seal the fate of brick-and-mortar bookselling.

In the latest chapter, Barnes & Noble Inc. has put itself up for sale, while Borders Group Inc. has put its hand out to lenders in hopes of avoiding a cash shortfall early next year.

Both chains are trying to show they can replace the sales of books lost forever as more book buyers head online or opt for digital books.
    Investors are skeptical about both retailers' long-term prospects. Borders shares trade around $1.18, down nearly two-thirds since April and a fraction of their all-time high of $41.75 in 1998. Barnes & Noble shares have fallen 22 percent this year, to about $14.44, a far cry from a peak of $48.41 in 2006.

Barnes & Noble and Borders together accounted for about a quarter of U.S. physical book sales last year, according to a Goldman Sachs study.

But analysts say one thing is clear: There is no need for all 1,200 superstores the companies operate — Barnes & Noble has 720 and Borders has about 500 — given what is seen as a permanent shift in book-buyer habits.

vCash
    I hope they stay. While stuff may be a bit cheaper online, I prefer to shop locally and support my local economy. I also love wandering through bookstores, and have no desire to own a Kindle or a Nook. And I'm a gadget nerd.

vCash
    I hate ebooks and digital readers. I need a book in my hand to be able to read and focus, and I'm also a techie/gadget nerd.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I don't think this is as dire as it sounds (though it's not as good as it used to be). The Riggio family, I think, wants to find a way to keep the company within their control after going through an on-going lawsuit with a major shareholder, Ron Burkle. Burkle, from what I hear, wants to be able to buy more than 20% of BN shares without board approval, and the board doesn't think he should. I also heard Burkle has a reputation of killing businesses he's gotten control of, but I haven't looked into that part myself.

I think this whole selling business is a way for Barnes and Noble to go away from public status they gained in the 90s and become private again. That's why in the article, Riggio talked about forming an investment firm to buy Barnes and Noble.

Considering that BN is going to push a huge campaign promoting nooks by clearing out more store space to create nook boutiques, the nook isn't going anywhere.

Reading the article in the WSJ about the decline in profit in the past three years is eye-opening, and it's no wonder why BN finally jumped on the E-book wagon and is diversifying their merchandise in their stores.
    This is exactly what's happening. The media continue to report this wrong. Barnes & Noble is not going out of business. It's trying to go private and in order to do it, you have to put the company on the market. And Nook (all 3 of them) will remain at the forefront of their selling strategy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaSTRARSSA! View Post
    This is exactly what's happening. The media continue to report this wrong. Barnes & Noble is not going out of business. It's trying to go private and in order to do it, you have to put the company on the market. And Nook (all 3 of them) will remain at the forefront of their selling strategy.
    ITA, this is about the stock, not about the stores. I hope they find a buyout solution soon as I'd hate to lose both Borders and B&N. Amazon is great, but it can't compare with the hands on wonder of wandering the store.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Borders may seek bankruptcy protection next week

The Wall Street Journal said the flailing company could file under Chapter 11 by Monday or Tuesday, citing people familiar with matter. The report also said Borders could close 200 of its 674 stores. At 3 p.m., the shares were down 34% at 25 cents.
    Borders is trying to refinance its balance sheet and received a conditional commitment from General Electric's (GE) GE Capital unit to provide a $550 million senior secured line of credit on Jan. 27. But Borders was forced to delay payments to vendors, landlords and other parties on Jan. 30 in order to preserve liquidity. It took a similar action at the end of December.

vCash
    Why are these stores not evolving to ebooks and digital stations to browse books? They need to keep transitioning to the new stuff, or they'll be left in the dust.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Crap. Borders is the only store locally and I'd bet it's small enough to be one of the ones to be axed.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    Sad but I saw this coming. Even putting aside the whole digital book download (which doesn't really appeal to me, I like holding actual books), I can get most books B&N sells much cheaper by buying at The Strand, or ordering on Amazon, or bidding on eBay, or borrowing from the library.
    Agree. I buy about 90% of my books from AbeBooks on line. I usually never pay over $7.00 a book (and that includes shipping!) I'm not a big fiction reader, so it's often difficult for me to find what I'm looking for at B&N. At Abe, the possibilities are almost endless...
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Satellitegirl View Post
    Why are these stores not evolving to ebooks and digital stations to browse books? They need to keep transitioning to the new stuff, or they'll be left in the dust.
    Barnes and Noble released their digital App like two years ago and their Nook device is keeping them afloat on top of BN.com. Borders is loosely affiliated with a few digital eReaders but they don't really have one that's theirs.

Borders' financial trouble seems to predate the the digital boom. That is not to say that that hasn't been a major source of their woes, but ever since I started at BN five years ago, it seems that I've always been hearing about Borders filing for bankruptcy in the future.

I think the point of these stores is that they want to welcome the new digital age but they don't want to totally get rid of all of their brick and motor stores. Not only will a lot of people be out of work but it's just a huge cultural shift if the only place you can buy physical books are at Walmarts and Targets. Local book stores might get the niche markets but they will have a hard time competing with those stores and now the internet and digital readers.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    I really loved the flagship Barnes and Noble on 65th and Broadway, 5 huge floors filled with books, interesting authors making guest appearances. Was shocked that it closed in early January. There used to be huge Tower Records across from it some years ago, which closed- though corporate, those two stores for me were a part of life around Lincoln Center, and their features selections reflected that. I seriously doubt whatever is done with Barnes and Noble space would be better for the area. E-readers are great, but there is great pleasure in browsing books, not knowing what you'd find, looking forward to discovery. That it might disappear makes me sad.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    I really like the Borders near me but it is a little bit of a pain to get to. And they are almost always a little more expensive than Amazon for me. But I had a Borders gift card from Christmas that I used last night, just in case. So thanks for bumping this up, Aaron.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Pretty soon we can just sit in our cubes and order everything on our computers and never ever have to go anywhere.

This is sad. Kindles and Nooks are fine for whoever wants to hold a cold piece of plastic in their hands, but I do not want one. I love printing. I love color, the texture of papers, the feel of them, and beautiful dust covers. I love a stack of books on my table. I love going to a bookstore and looking at all the colors and being excited visually by the fronts of new books-how they try to entice me! Sure, you can see a teeny little cover or an ad on your computer, but it isn't the same thing. I love the other products there too, the diaries and calendars and coffee, dvds, music..... Going to a bookstore is a sensory experience that a little hand held piece of plastic just can't duplicate.

I am not a luddite. I live on my computer and though not a technie gadget freak, I am open to most anything. But closing book stores and having nothing but a drab bit of plastic as a resource for my reading? That's like dragging me to some kind of sensory Siberia.

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast