Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

vCash

B&N for sale/Borders Files for Bankruptcy

Don't think I like the sound of this . . .
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Very interesting. Wonder if the big store is out, and the smaller, mom & pop style store would could do very well. I love the small bookstores (what is left of them), but B&N has always has good customer service too. As much as I love my computer etc, wandering in a bookstore is a favorite pasttime. Hope that does not go away.

vCash
    Wow, neither do I.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
    Very interesting. Wonder if the big store is out, and the smaller, mom & pop style store would could do very well. I love the small bookstores (what is left of them), but B&N has always has good customer service too. As much as I love my computer etc, wandering in a bookstore is a favorite pasttime. Hope that does not go away.
    Unlikely. The big stores get breaks from the publishers because they buy in volume. The smaller stores won't. This hurts the publishers and authors more than anything.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    It sounds like yet another legendary store that originated and was a mainstay in New York City has overexpanded in terms of bricks and mortar. Another example of this was Fortunoffs that started in East New York near the El, emerged during the sixties and overexpanded. It closed last year

vCash
    I love all bookstores -- big, small, new, used, chain, mom & pop, it doesn't matter. I can't bear to see any of them go out. When it comes to bookstores, I'm like Pat in the L. M. Montgomery books, who used to pitch a fit every time someone cut down a tree.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    This does not bode well - my whole family has bought Nooks over the last few months and we love them. I fervently hope there is no dilution/discontinuation of service/features or worse, additional charges for using our Nooks when B&N gets sold.

...an acquired taste
    vCash
    I am probably in the minority, but I prefer ebooks over traditional books in every way imaginable. I wonder if the new medium has had any effect in this case, although it's probably too soon for that.

vCash
    I wonder if Borders will also go this way.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    I think where Mom & Pop stores have it over the big ones is they generally can operate in specialty markets (children's only, used, special subject) that attract a specific buyer group more likely to shop locally than use Amazon. But B&N and Borders, being basically "Amazon with more overhead", stand to lose big--if you can get the mass-market national releases cheaply for Kindle (which is where I've put my money, figuratively, on which reader is going to win the VHS/Beta-style war of Kindle/Nook) and aren't trying to browse for a rare/odd item, you will use Amazon.

vCash
    I had thought Borders would go first, actually. A friend of mine heard a rumor about it. But maybe she heard wrong . . .

vCash
    Sad but I saw this coming. Even putting aside the whole digital book download (which doesn't really appeal to me, I like holding actual books), I can get most books B&N sells much cheaper by buying at The Strand, or ordering on Amazon, or bidding on eBay, or borrowing from the library. Surely many others are doing the same. Having said that, I hope B&N can figure things out, stay afloat. Otherwise, store closings means yet more people out of work.

Wyliefan, I heard a similar rumor about Borders, but I guess they've figured things out. Maybe the music sales help keep them going? Although their CDs and DVDs are also pretty expensive.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    Wyliefan, I heard a similar rumor about Borders, but I guess they've figured things out. Maybe the music sales help keep them going? Although their CDs and DVDs are also pretty expensive.
    The Borders close to where I live had reduced their CDs and DVDs sections significantly from a few years ago. I don't undestand why you would pay more for a CD or DVD at Borders when you can get it cheaper at Best Buy or online at amazon, for example.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    The Borders close to where I live had reduced their CDs and DVDs sections significantly from a few years ago.
    Mine too. I thought at first they were going to get rid of them altogether, but it hasn't happened yet.

vCash
    I had heard that Barnes and Noble were going to buy out Borders -- guess that was wrong or things have changed for the worse since I first heard those rumblings (about 18 months ago or so).

vCash
    The only Borders in my area closed a year or two ago. Our biggest mall just underwent a renovation/addition, and one of the anchors was supposed to be B&N, and it never happened.

I hope they find a seller or a way to stay afloat. I collect the B&N Classics paperbacks, because I love the 5x7 format and the price ($5-9).

vCash
    I hope they get it figured out without closing stores. There isn't one where I live, but whenever we go shopping in the closest city, we always go to B&N. There's just something about wandering around, seeing what could be found that I love. Even if I can get the books cheaper on Amazon, I usually end up buying at least one every visit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdycool View Post
    I hope they get it figured out without closing stores.
    Well, they recently closed one here in NYC; I was shocked when I walked past the empty store at 21st St. and 6th Ave. That store was always busy. I think the location is now a Trader Joe's.

vCash
    I don't think this is as dire as it sounds (though it's not as good as it used to be). The Riggio family, I think, wants to find a way to keep the company within their control after going through an on-going lawsuit with a major shareholder, Ron Burkle. Burkle, from what I hear, wants to be able to buy more than 20% of BN shares without board approval, and the board doesn't think he should. I also heard Burkle has a reputation of killing businesses he's gotten control of, but I haven't looked into that part myself.

I think this whole selling business is a way for Barnes and Noble to go away from public status they gained in the 90s and become private again. That's why in the article, Riggio talked about forming an investment firm to buy Barnes and Noble.

This does not bode well - my whole family has bought Nooks over the last few months and we love them. I fervently hope there is no dilution/discontinuation of service/features or worse, additional charges for using our Nooks when B&N gets sold.
    Considering that BN is going to push a huge campaign promoting nooks by clearing out more store space to create nook boutiques, the nook isn't going anywhere.

Reading the article in the WSJ about the decline in profit in the past three years is eye-opening, and it's no wonder why BN finally jumped on the E-book wagon and is diversifying their merchandise in their stores.
    Last edited by VIETgrlTerifa; 08-06-2010 at 08:13 AM.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    Well, they recently closed one here in NYC; I was shocked when I walked past the empty store at 21st St. and 6th Ave. That store was always busy. I think the location is now a Trader Joe's.
    They closed that one? I remember shopping there back in the day... crap.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast