Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
    vCash
    When the US commentators tried to suggest Kimmie was part of the Yuna-Mao rivalry. Kimmie was on their technical level for about half a season, but still way less artistic/expressive/flexible than either Yuna or Mao, and then after that, she started imploding and dropped way down in the rankings. I remember at 2006 skate america when Sandra Bezic said she wasn't sure if Miki would beat Kimmie after Miki reeled off 7 triples including a killer 3lz-3lo, that it was close, and then Miki beat Kimmie by like 15 points .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    When the US commentators tried to suggest Kimmie was part of the Yuna-Mao rivalry. Kimmie was on their technical level for about half a season, but still way less artistic/expressive/flexible than either Yuna or Mao, and then after that, she started imploding and dropped way down in the rankings. I remember at 2006 skate america when Sandra Bezic said she wasn't sure if Miki would beat Kimmie after Miki reeled off 7 triples including a killer 3lz-3lo, that it was close, and then Miki beat Kimmie by like 15 points .
    Yeah, I don't remember considering Kimmie part of that rivalry at all. The Kimmie/Emily Hughes rivalry in the US was more significant.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilight1 View Post
    IMHO, B&K's side by side steps were better than A&P's complete lack of any skating for about 35-45 seconds of their FD.
    I totally disagree with that. The rest of A&P's FD was full of seamless, non-stop, continuous skating with much more difficult holds and IMO, more interesting choreography with all their changes in direction and speed.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    I agree Kimmie was never a real rival to Mao or Yu Na. She was the reigning World Champion though so I understand the quandry ABC and others were in. When you have a home country World Champion you dont want to admit she isnt in the league of the very best skaters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Yeah, I don't remember considering Kimmie part of that rivalry at all. The Kimmie/Emily Hughes rivalry in the US was more significant.
    Why was it significant other than it demonstrating the sharp decline in star quality, talent and actual skating of the top US girls right after Michelle and Sasha left?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Why was it significant other than it demonstrating the sharp decline in star quality, talent and actual skating of the top US girls right after Michelle and Sasha left?
    Actually, that is one way that it was significant. lol. It wasn't that significant otherwise, just more so than a rivalry between Kimmie, Yu-Na, and Mao. Kimmie was more in Emily's league than Yu-Na's or Mao's, IMO, and they were from the same country.. that's all.

vCash
    Kimmie was more in Emily's league than Yu-Na's or Mao's, IMO, and they were from the same country.. that's all.
    Here are the results of the ladies' event at the 2007 World Championship.

http://www.isufs.org/results/wc2007/CAT002RS.HTM

Was Kimmie more in Yu-Na's / Mao's league, or Emily's league?

vCash
    Kimmie never lost to Emily in Sr level competition so I don't think there was ever a "rivalry" there. Emily was never in Kimmie's "league", and while Kimmie wasn't really in Yu-Na/Mao's league either, she at least beat Mao once and wasn't that far from beating Yu-Na at '07 Worlds. Other than '07, they hardly competed much against each other anyway. While Kimmie was hitting her prime in terms of technical ability as a Senior, Yu-Na/Mao were still competing as Juniors.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    You must mean Peggy Fleming? ABC Did the taping for 2006 Skate America.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I totally disagree with that. The rest of A&P's FD was full of seamless, non-stop, continuous skating with much more difficult holds and IMO, more interesting choreography with all their changes in direction and speed.
    With only 3.15 minutes to the their program with any form of content, and a couple mements they himed for the judges with their reverse lifts. I would say it was on par with B&K's performance that was high energy, engaged the audience and placed ahead in that portion of the competition, as it rightful should. Both programs had their weaknesses but IMHO, what B&K had that year over A&P was their FD. There OD was atrocious.
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

vCash
    With only 3.15 minutes to the their program with any form of content, and a couple mements they himed for the judges with their reverse lifts. I would say it was on par with B&K's performance that was high energy, engaged the audience and placed ahead in that portion of the competition, as it rightful should. Both programs had their weaknesses but IMHO, what B&K had that year over A&P was their FD. There OD was atrocious.
    Yeah, I loved A&P program in 1998, but I remember them taking a while to get started. A&P's Romeo and Juliet is one of my favorite ice dance programs of all time, but I always thought it would work better as a show program than a competitive program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jenny12 View Post
    Yeah, I loved A&P program in 1998, but I remember them taking a while to get started. A&P's Romeo and Juliet is one of my favorite ice dance programs of all time, but I always thought it would work better as a show program than a competitive program.
    I personally disagree because the rest of the program had a very high level of content. In terms of difficulty, it was second only to Grishuk & Platov. My only real problem was that they gave a nervous and somewhat sloppy performance at the Olympics. Their Olympic OD was also sloppily skated. Had they skated that OD perfectly, there could've been a case for them to have been in 1st for that phase of the competition because they had the most difficult OD out of all the couples. But with their errors, I think 3rd is the best they could've expected. At Worlds later that year however, they skated both programs wonderfully and I had them in 1st for both the OD and FD.

vCash
    IMHO, one big problem with V&M's FD this year was the lack of content in the 1st portion of their program. They did edge work, performed lovely lines and etches but actual content didn't occur until about 45 sec into their program. Fortunately for them, the rest of the program was such a masterpiece on ice.

A&P did not have that same level of luxury. G&P's Memorial had intricate hand holds, speed and intensity as well as fast footwork (when they weren't primping in holds for the judges) A&P did not have a more complex program to K&O as well. I have watched those programs over and over over the course of these many years and A&P were lucky to win bronze at the Oly's. If B&K hadn't done the pattern problem, no way would they have deserved 4th behind the problem ridden skates of A&P.
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    That's why she was taping the conversation - to get evidence of the deal against B&K.
    The deal being negotiated for in Nagano was in favor of B&K. In the taped conversation, she and Balkov spoke about how they were planning to put B&K in third and leave the French off the podium. After B&K's poor showing in the CD and OD ,it was pretty much an impossible task for this to occur. Jean Senft wound up being the only judge who ordinaled the final placements (1.G&P, 2B&K,3K&O 4L&A 5A&P) for that result to occur anyway. She was cited for national bias , then (and only then) she decided to come forward with the taped conversation discussing the deal she was voting with.

Neither she nor Balkov were part of the alleged block that was against B&K.

vCash
    Kira Ivanova and Midori ito. Like seriously? We all know who wins that one, Ivanova!

vCash
    IMHO, one big problem with V&M's FD this year was the lack of content in the 1st portion of their program. They did edge work, performed lovely lines and etches but actual content didn't occur until about 45 sec into their program. Fortunately for them, the rest of the program was such a masterpiece on ice.

A&P did not have that same level of luxury. G&P's Memorial had intricate hand holds, speed and intensity as well as fast footwork (when they weren't primping in holds for the judges) A&P did not have a more complex program to K&O as well. I have watched those programs over and over over the course of these many years and A&P were lucky to win bronze at the Oly's. If B&K hadn't done the pattern problem, no way would they have deserved 4th behind the problem ridden skates of A&P.
    I personally disagree but I haven't watched K&O's Carmen for years now so if I rewatched it, I might change my mind. I don't think I've been sold on the content of any K&O's FDs that I've seen over the years. They move with great speed and their programs are usually very sharp and well rehearsed but there's often too much skating apart for my tastes. What I've always liked about Anissina & Peizerat is that with the exception of perhaps 1999, they've always gone for very ambitious programs that are packed with a lot of good content. My only qualm with them in the late 90s was that I found them a little sloppy, especially Marina. Her tendencies to throw herself into her positions really made their unison and timing look suspect.

vCash
    IMHO, Masquerade Waltz was my all time favourite FD of K&O. 1997 in general was a fabulous year for tangos and freedances. Where is Carmen O when you need her regarding K&O? lol. In 1998, K&O's jive should have been in 1st after OD portion of the Olympics, and they definitely deserved 2nd after the FD. Also, IMHO, even though B&K's OD sucked...it should have placed above A&P. Who I felt were a complete mess in the OD. However, with their errors in the CD, I still think B&K should have placed 4th overall.

The only time I thought A&P should have placed above K&O was in 1999, ironically the year you did not feel they had a great ambitious FD.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213