Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

Oksana Domnina and Roman Kostomarov married and pregnant

http://www.dzd.ee/?id=294772

Olympic champion in ice dancing Kostomarov and his civil wife skater Oksana Domnina, world champion in 2009 and 2010 European champion, will soon become parents.

Last year Kostomarov said that he would marry Domnina if she would give him a child, wrote the Express newspaper. Domnina ended her career after a bad performance at the Olympics in Vancouver.
    Congratulations to them on their wedding and the arrival of a new baby.
    Wishing them a long, healthy and happy life together.
    Support Daisuke, join Daisuke Takahshi Road to Sochi

vCash
    Congrats to them!
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

vCash
    I reject the notion that they were bad in Vancouver! Totally reject it. Tabloidy writing. Would she be Oksana Kostomarova?

vCash
    How nice! I wish them the best!

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Somehow I missed that Domnina retired...I'm assuming Shabalin did too?

ps congrats to her
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    I reject the notion that they were bad in Vancouver! Totally reject it. Tabloidy writing.
    When they apparently had expectations of winning gold, going in as the current world champions, I imagine that ending up in third place would be a "bad performance" by some standards.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Kostomarov said he would marry Domnina if she would give him a child?

Who says romance is dead?

Congratulations to them!

YEAH!
    vCash
    My thoughts exactly, Asli. Blech. Let's hope they had a private ceremony because we know he had a thing about bridesmaids...

Sorry to be negative... love her, can't stand him, even if that's irrational. I do hope he's matured and they make it work... they've been together several years now, so that's positive. Can't wait til she's ready to get back on ice with Maxim/Roman/new partner/celebrity show/soloist... whatever. Best wishes to both!

Click me with your mouse
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post

ps congrats to her
    I don't think they ever officially announced their retirement. As far as I know, they said they would not compete this next season in order to allow Shabalin's knees to heal and then decide about their future.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    My thoughts exactly, Asli. Blech. Let's hope they had a private ceremony because we know he had a thing about bridesmaids...

Sorry to be negative... love her, can't stand him, even if that's irrational. I do hope he's matured and they make it work... they've been together several years now, so that's positive. Can't wait til she's ready to get back on ice with Maxim/Roman/new partner/celebrity show/soloist... whatever. Best wishes to both!
    I was hoping the "if she would give him a child" was some kind of colloquial usage that just didn't translate well. Somehow I'm having trouble thinking of her as a broodmare.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Asli View Post

My thoughts exactly! I kind of hope that there was something lost in translation there....

Best of luck to the couple!

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    I was hoping the "if she would give him a child" was some kind of colloquial usage that just didn't translate well. Somehow I'm having trouble thinking of her as a broodmare.

I hope the same, but his reputation doesn't give me confidence...

Click me with your mouse
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by silverstars View Post
    My thoughts exactly! I kind of hope that there was something lost in translation there....
    I would translate it the same - last year, Kostomarov said that he would marry Domnina if she would give him a child, wrote "Express-Gazeta."

Let's hope that he was misquoted or it was taken out of context.

vCash
    Thank you ostile17
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenya View Post
    Let's hope that he was misquoted or it was taken out of context.
    I wish this is the truth or at least prefer to believe that Kostomarov is not a neanderthal . Anyway we can't expect to much from an article posted in "Gossips" but to write that D/S placement at OG was unsuccesful is plain stupid .
    Here is similar material ,where the info about the pregnancy and possible wedding was pretty much copy-pasted and mentioned Kostomarov,s participation in "Dance on Ice" .

http://www.dni.ru/showbiz/2010/8/2/196416.html

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    A lot of people think it's not important to get married until you start having children. Maybe that's what he meant.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    DzD is just another trashy unreliable "publication" that are common in the post-Soviet environment. It is not a good idea to judge anyone based on "quotes" from this kind of... trash. I don't know what else to call it. Most of these sites re-print information published somewhere else - and add their own headlines and spin. Often with made up or twisted "quotes." I urge people who translate Russian language pieces to indicate the nature of the source. Komsomolskaya Pravda and Sovetskiy Sport are the only two sources I would trust (but not unconditionally!)

Also, the article calls Oksana the "civil wife" - which means that they live together but are NOT married.

PS. Just to give you a sense of what this site is, one of the headlines is "Because of the abnormal heat, Moskovites are not hanging themselves as often." With a picture of a noose next to the headline.
    Last edited by Natasha Miller; 08-03-2010 at 03:33 AM.

On the run from cholla's vibrating cleavage
    vCash

Congratulations to them!
    The Russian expression used isn't that bad although it still sounds ridiculous. But this "quote" came from the Russian gutter press. "Express-Gazeta" is the worst kind of tabloid imaginable.

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post

ps congrats to her
    In an interview from a couple of weeks ago, she explicitly said she's not retiring, and is not sure whether or not she'll compete again. She said it's just so hard after all this time to simply say "that's it, I'm done" But she said either way she's for sure not competing this season.

I highly doubt we'll see her competing again though, tbh

vCash
    Congrats to Oksana and Roman! I bet they'll have an incredibly good-looking baby!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    Would she be Oksana Kostomarova?
    Probably. Most young women in Russia on their first marriage would not have it any other way. It gives their marriage more “legitimacy”, if I am explaining it correctly. It’s still an honor, in the “old traditional” sense when a Man gives a woman His Name.

Plus it’s easier for all members of one family to have 1 Family Name, for sake of children and other every-day specifics. In Soviet days for a woman to keep her own family name after marriage would be a beaurocratic nightmare, and “everybody” would think that “something is wrong in that marriage”…. unless she was a Film Star or Stage Celebrity.

Irina Rodnina and Irina Slutskaya, are very few who kept their own names, and are exceptions….. plus they are both jewish and more “matriarchal inclined” than “whipping-willow” Russian girls with more patriarchal upbringing.

Oksana is crazy in-love with Kostomarov, she’ll gladly take his name.

Kostomarov said he would marry Domnina if she would give him a child? Who says romance is dead?
    Actually, regardless if the article presented the phrase accurately or not……. In the context of Old Russian Traditions, it is very romantic.

This means he is serious about her. So serious that he considers her worthy to be the Mother of his Children.

It’s also can be looked at as he is bribing her to give him a child…… which is also “in the old world context” an honor for a woman, to see a man eager to have a child with her. Usually it’s the other way around….. the girl wants a child sooner than later, and the young man wants to wait…..

There are many fairy tales in Russian folklore where a Hero of the Story would select his wife (a Russian Maiden) based on how many “Healthy sons she can give him”.

There is a famous poem by A. Pushkin, The Tale of Tsar Saltan.
    http://home.freeuk.com/russica4/books/salt/saltan.html

The Tsar dresses like a commoner and sneaks around villages to gather what folks say about him.

The Tsar eavesdrops on 3 beautiful Maidens who are chit-chatting about “what if I married a Tsar”. One would cook for him a feast. Other would weave him a Golden Cloth. But the third one would give him a Strong and Brave Son (heir).

The Tsar marries the 3rd girl………

I had to live in Russia with this notion of “giving a child to the man you love is romantic” almost one-third of my life…… That’s why now whe I see a child 10 meters away I ran in the other direction….

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast