Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned Member
    vCash

Yu-Na Day in L.A.

http://www.universalsports.com/blogs...id=486615.html

According to The Korea Times, August 7 is officially "Yu-Na Day" in Los Angeles, California.

ADMIN EDIT: Please DO NOT copy entire articles, however short they may be. A link and a couple of lines will suffice!! Thank you

---------------

And..
    According to the reports, Yuna will also receive an honorary citizenship from the L.A. mayor!!! It's incredible how the city of Hollywood is rolling out its red carpet for the queen of ice!!

vCash
    I can understand why the korean-american community would honor yu-na, but this award sounds like an honor bestowed by the general city including the LA mayor. unless it really is primarily a korean-american award but just with some acknowledgment by the city including the mayor. I'm probably misreading it.

I mean we've heard of other celebs and even skaters having days dedicated to them by the mayor but it's usually an honor for a figure whom the entire city is aware of and honoring, and not just a figure being honored by an association dedicated to a specific subset of the population (korean-american population, I mean the award is called the "proud korean" award...)
    Last edited by iarispiralllyof; 08-04-2010 at 08:16 PM.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Here's the link to the original July 9th article about the Korean American Leadership Foundation awards to 90-year-old Dr. Sammy Lee (Olympic gold medalist in platform diving at the 1948 and 1952 and the first Asian-American to win a gold medal for the U.S.) and Yu-Na Kim: http://english.chosun.com/site/data/...070900439.html

vCash
    I don't think it's a big deal. I guess it's similar to how special holidays of ethnic groups are celebrated in big cities like NY and LA. The mayor gives recognition for it and they are allowed to have parades but not everyone celebrates it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    I don't think it's a big deal. I guess it's similar to how special holidays of ethnic groups are celebrated in big cities like NY and LA. The mayor gives recognition for it and they are allowed to have parades but not everyone celebrates it.
    probably. either way congrats to yu-na

vCash
    Not that it probably has anything to do with the award, but LA is also the city where she won the world championship.
    Smoke a ciggy and have some fun!!!

vCash
    More detailed articles about 'Yuna Kim day' in LA. (These are second-hand sources which basically translate original Korean reports into English.)
    http://www.koreaherald.com/national/...20100804000620
    http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news...178_70825.html

An official document from the City Council of Los Angeles:
    http://web.mac.com/waltermoore/PDF/Yu-NaKimDay.pdf

Also, there are reports that Yuna Kim will receive an honorary citizenship of the city of LA from the mayor, but I was unable to find a source.

(All sources cited above are from YNKF.)

Off-topic. Korean Athletes to Star on U.S. Network TV
    http://english.chosun.com/site/data/...080400630.html
    Kim Yu-na is referred to as "the most popular sports star in Korea." The production team interviewed Kim and her Canadian coach Brian Orser to hear about the difficulties she had to overcome to reach the top.

The film airs in 120 cities across the U.S. between August and September on ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox. In Los Angeles, which has a large Korean-American community, it will air at 12:30 p.m. on Aug. 15 on ABC and in San Francisco at 3 p.m. the same day. New Yorkers can watch it later in August.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cadavis View Post
    Off-topic. Korean Athletes to Star on U.S. Network TV
    FYI, I posted this info/article link in a thread in the TV Alerts forum yesterday: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=74549

vCash
    Last month, the Korean American Leadership Foundation announced Yu-Na as recipient of their "Proud Korean" award which they ordinarily would give to a Korean American but Yu-Na has had such a global impact on Korean pride and confidence that they decided to pick her. http://english.chosun.com/site/data/...070900439.html

When Yu-Na said she would come to LA to accept the award (Sat Aug 7 at the Wilshire Grand Hotel) they told the councilmen representing Koreatown and they came up with the resolution and a meeting with the mayor and the Lollipop Guild (just kidding about the guild).

LA has the largest Korean population of any city outside of Korea so it makes sense to honor her there,

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leon View Post
    Last month, the Korean American Leadership Foundation announced Yu-Na as recipient of their "Proud Korean" award which they ordinarily would give to a Korean American
    The other award recipient this year, Dr. Sammy Lee, is Korean-American, as I mentioned in my above post with the article link.

vCash
    Great news. She sure made the community proud, and now the city is giving the honor of naming a day after her. Wonderful. Thanks for the news.

vCash
    I live right outside of LA and I haven't heard a thing about this. Huh.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leon View Post
    Last month, the Korean American Leadership Foundation announced Yu-Na as recipient of their "Proud Korean" award which they ordinarily would give to a Korean American but Yu-Na has had such a global impact on Korean pride and confidence that they decided to pick her. http://english.chosun.com/site/data/...070900439.html

When Yu-Na said she would come to LA to accept the award (Sat Aug 7 at the Wilshire Grand Hotel) they told the councilmen representing Koreatown and they came up with the resolution and a meeting with the mayor and the Lollipop Guild (just kidding about the guild).

LA has the largest Korean population of any city outside of Korea so it makes sense to honor her there,

Makes sense to me too. I think El Rey has a good point too, considering that Yu-Na did win Worlds in LA last year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    I live right outside of LA and I haven't heard a thing about this. Huh.
    I think this is only a celebration for the Korean-American community around LA area.

vCash
    I realize this is for the Korean-American community only, but it's still kind of amusing to me that a Korean skater can get a "Yu-Na Day" in LA while someone like Evan Lysacek, who actually lives in that area, also won the Olympics and Worlds in LA, does not get a day.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Yuna will be in LA in a couple of days, and then it will be clear whether it is citywide or just for the community.

vCash
    "Yu-Na Kim Day" will be declared by the City of LA, whereas the "Proud Korean" award is of course the Korean-American community event. It makes sense politically for the LA Mayor and the city council members, given a large Korean-American population in the LA metropolitan area. And LA was the site for 2009 Worlds which Yu-Na won, adding significance to the occasion.

It seems that Yu-Na will also be granted an honorary citizenship from the LA Mayor. Not a big deal, but it is odd that a similar thing has not happened in Toronto, given that she has been spending most of her times in Toronto and the city also has substantial overseas Korean and Korean-Canadian population.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lowtherlore View Post

It seems that Yu-Na will also be granted an honorary citizenship from the LA Mayor. Not a big deal, but it is odd that a similar thing has not happened in Toronto, given that she has been spending most of her times in Toronto and the city also has substantial overseas Korean and Korean-Canadian population.
    Maybe that will eventually happen in Toronto?

vCash
    While not visiting her home in Korea, Yu-Na lives and trains in Toronto at the Toronto Cricket, Skating and Curling Club. She has more of an association with Toronto than L.A. Hence, it would have been less of a surprise if the Korean-Canadian population in Toronto had announced a Yu-Na day. She was even selected to carry the Olympic torch through a part of Hamilton (a nearby city) prior to the start of the Olympics.

http://www.lifeskate.com/.a/6a00e54f...77c7e59970b-pi

Banned Member
    vCash
    Los Angeles proclaims Aug. 7 as "Yu-Na Kim" Day

(08/05/2010) - The City of Angels is honoring an ice queen.

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast