vCash

Pole Dancing Studios Offering Classes to Children

Yeah, and it's not Maypole dancing either.

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...6-befdd2bb0c62
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    These two quotes are just all kinds of wrong:

"I just had a baby six months ago and I'm hoping she'll start to learn pole-dancing as soon as she can," says Tammy Morris, owner of Tantra Fitness. "Kids love the pole. If anything, it's hard to get them off it because they're such naturals."
    "I challenge anybody who has anything to say about it being a bad thing or a sexual thing or 'How can you let your child do this?' to get up on the pole and try to pull their legs over their head."

vCash
    Well, children do naturally like grab any pole they see and swing around it. I'm sure you can design some sort of exercise routine around a pole for children without resorting to hanging upside down and splitting one legs .

vCash
    I think its ok as long as the children aren't wearing fishnet stockings and heels.

vCash
    I don't like that, no, there are so many other sports children can do where no sexuality is being "advertised". And yes, to my mind pole dancing is about turning on guys, nothing else.

I take courses in oriental dance (belly dancing) and I also feel a bit uncomfortable when I see little girls (ages 5 - 12) doing this as well. I mean, wiggling your breasts and hips....no, I wouldn't let my little daughters do this.

vCash
    Well, many pole dancing rutines are only acrobatic and beautiful. If children do those, I see nothing bad in it. Doing a full spilt on ice with tiny tiny dress is also very sexual for many men.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    If you actually wore fishnets (or anything besides shorts or less, really) you'd fall. Skin sticks, fabric slips. I did wear my Latin heels, though, as the footwork is the same principle and the pole as a partner is generally less obnoxious than male pros.

Pole fitness was actually an insanely good workout. It will KILL your upper body and core. I wish I had a place, and the time and money, to do it here as it was a great workout and I was much more fit in my arms. I even managed the basic climb (pretty good for someone who could never climb the rope at all in gym.) I never managed inversions, though, even when I have a spotter and I know, rationally, the way I'm positioned I'd just slide down and land on my shoulders, not my head, I just couldn't psychologically get myself to swing my hips and legs up over my head. (I once crashed head-first off the uneven bars in middle-school gym and was lucky I didn't break my neck, so I may have a hangup.)

vCash
    At first I also thought "huh?". But then I thought about latin dance classes for kids, skating, gymnastics etc. So I think that
    Quote Originally Posted by Nekatiivi View Post
    Doing a full spilt on ice with tiny tiny dress is also very sexual for many men.
    is right with that. Everything can be interpreted as "sexual". I mean, today I watched the high jump of the women with the guys in my dorm (technical university = lots and lots of guys) - and you should have heard those remarks! I never before thought about how these girls land and what you see then...

And when you think about it - especially about gymnastics (you know, in average-guy-mode)? Those skimpy leotards, those weird movements during floor routines. And loads of these girls are under-age, sometimes prepubescent - and everything live on national TV.

I suppose this is a point of view thing. You can make everything into something "indecent". But that severely limits the freedoms of girls and women in society, who sometimes just want to do something because it's fun.

vCash
    I don't know, it still creeps me out to think of teaching pole dancing to children. I think its just too closely associated with exotic dancing/stripping.

vCash
    I have no problem with it. There's the horizontal bar in gymnastics. Just because the bar is vertical, it's sexual? During the 2010 Games, I watched news reports of someone advocating the introduction of pole dancing into the Summer Olympics.

It's no different, really, from the rope exercise we did in school. I HATED that rope. I hated PE, period.

vCash
    Um, I hope they disinfect the poles beforehand..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    Just because the bar is vertical, it's sexual?
    No, it's because up until very recently pole dancing was only seen in strip clubs, and THAT'S why pole dancing is seen as sexual.

The whole thing weirds me out a little. I can't see a child asking to take pole dancing lessons - where on earth would they have seen it to want to try it? More likely they'd ask for dance, skating, gymnastics, karate, etc.

vCash
    Well, Pole Dancing is derived from the Chinese circus art of Chinese Poles. It can be very athletic and physically challenging. Well, at least the pole is the same anyway. Having done a lot of trapeze and aerial work myself, it is physically difficult to do and requires a lot of physical strength.

I doubt they are actively encouraging children to be sexual, and that's the parents job to prevent that from occurring, as well as have it become associated with that in their personal lives when they are old enough.

Grooving!
    vCash
    In the US, pole dancing isn't a Chinese circus act. It's what strippers do in strip clubs to make men horny. And a lot of the pole dance classes advertise it as "the sexy new workout." So regardless of where it originally came from, it IS associated with sexual titillation. And that's not something I like to see associated with children. Put your kid in gymnastics and leave the stripper stuff alone.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Johnston View Post
    The whole thing weirds me out a little. I can't see a child asking to take pole dancing lessons - where on earth would they have seen it to want to try it?
    I would guess that most kids that want to do it have moms who do it and think it looks like fun.

Little kids tend to want to do what their moms are doing until they get old enough to want to do what their friends are doing.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    I did see an interview with the teacher offering the classes and Prancer's exactly right--the children are mostly those of moms who take her pole classes and get brought along to the studio (which is a dance studio like any other.)

And watching the video of the instructor (or the world-level pole competitors, where yes, there is even a men's division) if starting pole at age six would get my kid that strong and flexible, I'd let them do it. And fwiw, I haven't met any pole fitness teachers yet who've had multiple spinal fractures, stunted growth, bulimia or laxative abuse, so it's already beating girl's gymnastics on my list of "activities I'll allow."