Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    493
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    Spiral Sequences

    I just read that the pairs no longer have to do spiral sequences this year. But I also think I read that the ladies no longer have to either. What's up with this? I know the ISU made a lot of changes, but those threads were so long I couldn't read that much (low computer attention span). I love spiral sequences (or, at least, I did, until everyone did the same one).

  2. #2
    Loving on babies!
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Twin heaven!
    Posts
    11,727
    vCash
    1570
    Rep Power
    42922
    I thought it was that, the spiral sequences would all be at a set base level and be scored only on GOE. But that they still would be present, although pairs will only do step sequence in the SP.
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    26
    Posts
    9,000
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1017
    The spiral sequence is no longer a required element in the ladies SP, and it has a base value and will be judged soley on GOE in the FS.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    48
    Posts
    17,939
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    35722
    Spiral Sequences will only be judged in the FS as a Choregraphic Spiral sequence. So they will get a base value of 2.0 for the element and the judges will apply a GOE. They are no longer going to have a level called on them.

    All I can say is thank god because they because the most boring part of a program to judge.

    So we will probably get back to seeing some beautiful spiral sequences that are appropriate for the program rather than an element that has to be done.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    493
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I'm really sad. As a very longtime skating fan, they were often my favorite part of the SP. Step sequences bore me for the most part - and it's not that I don't appreciate them (I ice dance) - it's just that those are becoming cookie cutter too, even in ice dance (twizzle, grab blade with hand, repeat for ice dance, frenetic turns both directions for freestyle). I like COP a lot for jumps, that's about it. I think skating is going the way of gymnastics (my other favorite sport (to watch/can't even do a cartwheel), less popular because of the jidging (deliberate typo, LOL, favorite third hobby, watching SYTYCD). Thanks all for clarifying.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Aquisgranum
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,188
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    462
    I am really happy about that. Though I think the pair spirals were more horrific to watch than the ladies' spirals. The problem with the pairs was that even on the highest level those spirals looked painful, very few could make them look decent. On the other hand - lots of pair step sequences aren't really better.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    806
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonita View Post
    I'm really sad. As a very longtime skating fan, they were often my favorite part of the SP. Step sequences bore me for the most part - and it's not that I don't appreciate them (I ice dance) - it's just that those are becoming cookie cutter too, even in ice dance (twizzle, grab blade with hand, repeat for ice dance, frenetic turns both directions for freestyle). I like COP a lot for jumps, that's about it. I think skating is going the way of gymnastics (my other favorite sport (to watch/can't even do a cartwheel), less popular because of the jidging (deliberate typo, LOL, favorite third hobby, watching SYTYCD). Thanks all for clarifying.
    I agree with you. I miss the excitment that comes with seeing perfect 6.0s and 10s. The CoP does some things better in terms of rewarding technical elements but I'm still not convinced it is that much better or objective than the older systems.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Putting the "Johnny" back in Johnny Weir
    Posts
    854
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Gil-Galad View Post
    I am really happy about that. Though I think the pair spirals were more horrific to watch than the ladies' spirals. The problem with the pairs was that even on the highest level those spirals looked painful, very few could make them look decent. On the other hand - lots of pair step sequences aren't really better.
    Under 6.0 there were some beautiful pair spiral sequences. G&G spiral in their SP in 1994 stands out. M&D and B&S also had some lovely spiral sequences in their SP's as well. The problem under CoP was 1.) both skaters had to be in the exact same position, held for 3 seconds crap 2.) higher level do to catch foot and change of edge. YAWN.

    When only one partner has to be in a spiral position, there are more variations for the sequence. Why CoP just didn't follow 6.0 rules, I don't understand.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Ravenclaw Tower
    Age
    26
    Posts
    23
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Totally agree with you pekingmoo, I wish only one partner has to be in the spiral position. Like you said, G&G's spiral in their 1994 SP is a perfect example of this, as is their spiral in their 1989 LP. But of course even when they were in the same position (like their Moonlight Sonata spiral) is an example of an elegant, simple spiral that takes skill to do. I also used to love B&S's signature spiral, it is one of the most beautiful pair moves I've ever seen.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Amatepec Mexico
    Age
    30
    Posts
    615
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Thank god the obligatory change of edge spiral is gone. I like doing them myself, but it was the most boring part of the routines. This will finally help to add some variety into the programs.

    I disagree about complex steps being boring. 90's figure skating suffered too much from transitions that only consisted in crossovers and the typical jump-a-thon. Nobody can deny Buttle did fantastic step sequences but that's another topic.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    48
    Posts
    17,939
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    35722
    Quote Originally Posted by PEKINGMOO View Post
    Under 6.0 there were some beautiful pair spiral sequences. G&G spiral in their SP in 1994 stands out. M&D and B&S also had some lovely spiral sequences in their SP's as well. The problem under CoP was 1.) both skaters had to be in the exact same position, held for 3 seconds crap 2.) higher level do to catch foot and change of edge. YAWN.

    When only one partner has to be in a spiral position, there are more variations for the sequence. Why CoP just didn't follow 6.0 rules, I don't understand.
    Well I hope that we will go back to seeing some beautiful spiral sequences. Such as a Nicole Bobek spiral. I loved her spirals. I would give her +3 even now.

    I agree about G&G's spiral in their Moonlight Sonata LP. It was stunning.

    The problem in pairs it is not so much the lady, but for most men the spirals just look fugly on them.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    9,802
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    The problem in pairs it is not so much the lady, but for most men the spirals just look fugly on them.
    Especially when the men attempt to do the catch foot spiral. Blech. Thank goodness we won't have to see that anymore.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Putting the "Johnny" back in Johnny Weir
    Posts
    854
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Especially when the men attempt to do the catch foot spiral. Blech. Thank goodness we won't have to see that anymore.
    The catch foot Y position spiral...OMG. How many ballsacs were sacrificed just to gain a level?

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    306
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    So, spiral positions don't even need to be held 3 seconds? or did that rule not change?
    I just don't wanna see very short spiral positions, when they're not held enough; like in the 80's early 90's.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    7,138
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Yes, they do. Ladies need to complete 2 spirals for 3 seconds each, or one spiral for 6 seconds.

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Age
    28
    Posts
    11,834
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I'm thrilled about this rule change. Spirals will be beautiful again (for the most part) instead of looking all the same and having too many fugly positions.

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    181
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    423
    What is the replacement move in the SP for the Ladies. Is there more footwork, spins?

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    946
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1521
    Quote Originally Posted by muffinbiscuit View Post
    What is the replacement move in the SP for the Ladies. Is there more footwork, spins?
    No new required element. I think they're hoping for more transitions.

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    Posts
    7,797
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    19516
    I am hoping for Inna Baurs, Spead Eagles, Shoot the Duck, and other transitions elements integrated into Spiral Sequences.

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Age
    26
    Posts
    143
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Great, is was the most boring part of the program and sometiems it was just painful to see, Just a few ladies can do this righth and for me is still boring.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •