Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Jennifer Robinson skated to Eva Cassidy's FOG ? OH NO, SHE DIDN'T !

Mary Beth looks really, reallly young in the picture with Rockny.

vCash
    Sounds like it was a great show. I will always have a soft spot for Kimmie,

vCash

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinclare View Post
    Sounds like it was a great show. I will always have a soft spot for Kimmie,
    Agree, and she always has such joy in her exhibitions, like she really appreciates being on the ice and skating for people. No matter what her jump content, I enjoy seeing her perform.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    We had a nice time chatting with Kimmie about the Ravens game which she was glued to in cafe area. We were waiting for Ilia - he spent some time with our group - and she said that while she was thrilled to skate, it was all about the Ravens on Sunday. BTW, they won in OT. She is a delightful young lady.

I actually enjoyed Dan Hollander's Olympic spoof (and I usually am left cold by his programs) - this one was very funny and using Scott Hamilton as the hypothetical TV voiceover just made it work. Ilia of course played Plushie in the worst blonde wig ever. Silly and fun.

I was surprised and happy to see the Kerrs there - they skated nicely and I didn't notice any favoring for her injured shoulder. Rockne and Mary Beth really tried but for me they don't work at all. She looks too young and too little - a kid skating with a man - and their work together (while new) is very, very ragged and she just looked like a deer in the headlights out there. I just don't see anything miraculous in the future for that pairing.

I thought Jennifer did admirably (I almost don't care who's skating when I hear Eva Cassidy singing) and as always, there are such good feelings around the whole show that is it more than worth freezing to death in the coldest rink ever (it took an hour for my toes to thaw out - I don't remember it being quite that cold before - it was extreme!). Brian did what Brian does these days - perfectly executed spreadeagles and a few solidly done jumps. Michael as always was a gracious and charming host, and skated very nicely to his accustomed country-type big-beat song.

Ilia skated Mustang Nismo and I thought he was strong and exciting (although the ice size gave him some jump problems so only a few triples and some doubles - lots of big jumps (not axels as acraven corrected me) though in the finale) and it was delightful to have a chance to chat with him again. He seemed very happy to be there, joking that he'd come 3,000 miles for the party (a private Halloween party that Mike and Lisa hosted for the cast after the event). I hope it was fun.

It was worth the trip to DC.
    Last edited by Willowway; 10-27-2010 at 01:00 AM.

vCash
    There were two rows of on-ice seating (the second being barstools), so the ice size probably did affect the skaters' jump set-ups. Kulik planned a 3T but popped it to a double. He tried the jump again (don't know whether it was part of the original choreography or not) and popped it again. Obviously, it bugged him. When the skaters came out at the end of the show, he chose to do four triple toes; the first three were perfect.

I thought we might get an early look at Marley and Brubaker's SP, but they chose to do an exhibition program. At this time of year, I wouldn't expect any team to have a new exhibition program well polished, even an experienced team. I hope they're spending most of their practice time on competitive elements and unison in the SP and FS. I saw a lot of positive signs in the exhibition: They did a high double twist, and he caught her way above the ice. They did a lasso lift that went to one hand and looked fine in the air, but had problems coming down. In both the lasso lift and a carry lift Mary Beth had nice air positions, which is much to their credit considering she had no previous pairs experience. Her flexibility will be a plus in pairs. Their speed was fine under the circustances; it doesn't look like she's going to hold him back in that regard. And we know she can jump.

I didn't think Mary Beth looked shockingly young, but of couse I was aware of the age difference and didn't expect her to look as old as Rockne. In any case, I think the difference will be quite a bit less noticeable when she's made up for competition and skating a better-trained program.

It will be interesting to see how much progress they can make by Nationals.

vCash
    acraven, as you clearly know far more about Mary Beth and Rockne than I do, I take your word for it and give them the benefit of the doubt. I hope the season holds better for them. For someone who doesn't know them (I've of course seen him skate before) as a pair, the perceived age difference is remarkable but most people who see them, judges included, will be familiar with them and that's to the good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    A few photos from the show plus some music info: http://twitter.com/skatingphotos
    Here are all the tweeted photos:

Michael Weiss

Ryan Bradley ("Charlie & the Chocolate Factory")

Ilia Kulik ("Mustang Nismo")

Brian Boitano

Sinead & John Kerr

Christina Gao ("Ave Maria")

Kimmie Meissner ("Brown Eyed Girl")

Marley & Brubaker (Tom Petty's "American Girl'')

Dan Hollander

Jennifer Robinson (Eva Cassidy's "Fields of Gold")

House/Reklys (LTU)

Nathan Chen (his Novice SP to music from the TV series "Rawhide")

Emmanuel Savary (his Junior SP to a Jackson 5 medley, choreographed by Tom Dickson)

Mary Kate Mulera

vCash
    Coming out of years of lurking to post a few more music details...

Ryan Bradley's program started with "Pure Imagination" (Gene Wilder) and then went into the Oompa Loompa song. He came out in full Wonka-attire, complete with top hat.

House/Reklys skated to "Goodbye My Lover".

Emmanuel Savary's program had lyrics, so it was probably a spin off of his short program.

I'm not sure the exact music that the Kerrs skated to, but it started out as a waltz and then a voice-over that said that was too boring, so it went into a fast, fun number from there with lots of personality.

Christina Gao skated to Beyonce's version of "Ave Maria" and landed a clean triple-triple.

Thanks for posting links to our pics, Sylvia

vCash
    Sounds like the Kerrs did their SD, which is to "At Last" by Etta James; followed by "Shut Up & Let Me Go" by The Ting Tings.

vCash
    I wish I knew a little more about the exact program the Kerrs did. It started as a traditional ice dance (appropriate to him in tails and her in something black and sparkly) and then a voice interrupts..."this is boring..." and so on, and the music changes to something really jazzy and upbeat, total change of pace. Does that ring a bell for anyone? It was fun and they did it nicely.

vCash
    Great photos, devonia! You must have had on ice seats

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Willowway View Post
    I wish I knew a little more about the exact program the Kerrs did. It started as a traditional ice dance (appropriate to him in tails and her in something black and sparkly) and then a voice interrupts..."this is boring..." and so on, and the music changes to something really jazzy and upbeat, total change of pace. Does that ring a bell for anyone? It was fun and they did it nicely.
    Was this the upbeat part?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tolm-07if3c

vCash
    I don't think so but I could be wrong - I was watching more than listening.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Yep, that was definitely it!

vCash
    Then it was definitely the Kerrs SD.

vCash
    Ryan Bradley ("Charlie & the Chocolate Factory")
    It is always delightful to watch him. I hope I can see the video of that Wonka program.

vCash
    This was the first year in few years of going that I was out of town and unable to attend. So disappointing to miss Kimmie skate. However, I am glad it went well and I hope to go next year.

vCash
    Here are all the tweeted photos:

Christina Gao ("Ave Maria")
    Nice picture, she looks so grownup here. Anyone have imput on how her skating looked? I can't get over how different she looks from last season, she's so gorgeous.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by devonia View Post
    Christina Gao skated to Beyonce's version of "Ave Maria" and landed a clean triple-triple.
    I was told that Gao's combo was a 3T+3T. And you're welcome devonia -- looking forward to seeing your entire photo gallery from the show! (It will be linked from http://www.ice-skate.net/.)

Michael Weiss tweeted this link to the show's official photographer's gallery of 214 images: http://jtdphotos.photoshelter.com/ga...000i.qnVExl3M/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast