Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Prancer- An example of why I feel Tara's commentating is bad:

Ksenia at worlds 2010: Tara makes a comment at the beginning of Ksenia's program that goes something like this: " I think the Russians this year are really coming strong."

That comment was just one sentence with no explanation how the russians are becoming stronger, who, when.... nothing. She didn't elaborate at all. For the average viewer who doesn't know about skating they might want a few more sentences there. She makes a lot of comments like that which tend to go nowhere.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I would say that getting a bachelor's in some fields and/or attending a college with no name makes it more challenging to make the hefty salary (which lise did not, in any case, say she wanted or expected), but I think saing that is it simply isn't going to happen ignores the fact that a lot of people with useless degrees and no-name alma maters are very successful--as are people who haven't attended college at all.

Is it harder? Usually. But it's not impossible, by any means.
    Sure it is harder, but the odds are stacked against the individual. I made some strong statement here but it does not mean that there won't any individuals however rare they might be with a great deal of success despite all this. My point here is that college majors or quality of colleges plays a significant role in potential earning.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artifice View Post
    With such an early success, she had plenty of time to enter studies, she even might have been bright, there were so many things for her to do thanks to her young age when she won. Ok, she doesn't need money now, she has plenty of it, but look at Michelle Kwan and how well rounded and successfull adult she's become. I believe Tara let go a lot of good opportunities. I think she didn't take benefit of her early success. There's nothing much to say about her now, contrary to what she says, her life doesn't seem to be busy at all.
    Well that's what Michelle wanted to do. There's nothing to show that Tara wants to do the same thing. As long as she's happy, then who's to say what she should do?

Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    You get out of education what you put into it, which is why I firmly believe that the only people who should be in college are the ones who want to be there. If you don't have the passion for learning in that particular kind of environment, then it is an awfully expensive way to put off doing something that is better suited to your personality and needs.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathDrop View Post
    LOL... As you probably are aware, not all bechelor degrees are the same. How much you can make and what position you are considered probably depend on what you have learned in college. IMO, this has more to do with what your major is than getting a bechelor degree with no market value. Some of popular majors with a potential hefty salary are for example nursing, engineering, accounting, computer science, etc. Also what college you have graduated plays a significant role. If an individual graduated some obscure local college of no name, he/she should lower the expection for any type of hefty salary. This simply is not going to happen, and that is the way it is.
    Yeah, my bf and I would not have gotten our jobs if we didn't have bachelor's degrees. But he's in engineering (makes good money, as most engineers do) and I'm in science, so having a bachelor's in our respective fields IS required.

For non-technical fields, the degree probably doesn't matter so much.

vCash
    Why does everyone keep saying as long as she's happy she can do whatever she wants? When you're in a position of commentating it's not about if you're happy, it's your JOB to become better at what you do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DickButtonFan View Post
    When you're in a position of commentating it's not about if you're happy, it's your JOB to become better at what you do.
    IMO, she did her job just fine. Tara explains a lot of the mechanics of skating, such as why a skater fell on a jump or why a spin might get negative GOE. She also adds some of her own personal commentary as well and she does an excellent job of pointing out the strengths and weaknesses of each competitor. She doesn't seem worse than any other commentator. In fact, I think she's very good. Can she be better? Of course she can but so can any other commentator. She doesn't need college to be a better commentator though.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash

Ksenia at worlds 2010: Tara makes a comment at the beginning of Ksenia's program that goes something like this: " I think the Russians this year are really coming strong."

That comment was just one sentence with no explanation how the russians are becoming stronger, who, when.... nothing. She didn't elaborate at all. For the average viewer who doesn't know about skating they might want a few more sentences there. She makes a lot of comments like that which tend to go nowhere.
    Well, maybe the average viewer who doesn't know anything about skating might want to hear more--or not. I don't think most people would need or want any particular elaboration on that kind of comment. IME, most people think commentators talk too much, not too little.

But I must say that college clearly doesn't mean that people always elaborate on their claims in detail without prompting .

Quote Originally Posted by modern_muslimah View Post
    IMO, she did her job just fine. Tara explains a lot of the mechanics of skating, such as why a skater fell on a jump or why a spin might get negative GOE. She also adds some of her own personal commentary as well and she does an excellent job of pointing out the strengths and weaknesses of each competitor. She doesn't seem worse than any other commentator. In fact, I think she's very good. Can she be better? Of course she can but so can any other commentator. She doesn't need college to be a better commentator though.
    ITA. Tara does a much better job of explaining the technical aspects of skating than either Scott Hamilton or Sandra Bezic. And you see where it got the two of them.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash

Unless they said " When I competed" I felt like she spent a LOT of time reminding us that she used to compete. It's NOT suppose to about HER, but about the skaters.... (that appears to be the personal commentary....)

I was not impressed, but others seem to love her. I dread another season with her.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    Unless they said " When I competed" I felt like she spent a LOT of time reminding us that she used to compete. It's NOT suppose to about HER, but about the skaters.... (that appears to be the personal commentary....)
    She does do that too much. I think she will stop as she develops confidence in the role--if she continues.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post

The constant repetition of "when I competed" made it seem as if Tara was comparing every skater to herself.

Never mind the fact is it's been 12 years since Tara competed, and skating has changed drastically since then.

vCash
    Yeah Tara definitely talks about her self too much but I like a little of that I guess. Dick Button just about never talked about himself and that'd actually would have been interesting.

I think Tara has the potential to be really great just needs some kind of education class wether that's college or a non college class. It'd help her to learn from the best in such a field.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Why does everyone keep saying as long as she's happy she can do whatever she wants? When you're in a position of commentating it's not about if you're happy, it's your JOB to become better at what you do.
    Um, I wasn't referring to commentating in particular, I was referring to what she decides to do with her life in general.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    Um, I wasn't referring to commentating in particular, I was referring to what she decides to do with her life in general.
    I wasn't responding to you just generalizing.

vCash
    How do you know she's not doing just that right now??

ITA. Tara does a much better job of explaining the technical aspects of skating than either Scott Hamilton or Sandra Bezic. And you see where it got the two of them.
    Agreed. I think she's been able to strike this middle ground between being vague and being too confusing. She can explain things clearly without losing the viewer and that's not an easy thing to do. With more practice and experience I think she could potentially approach becoming the skating version of that NBC diving commentator (forget her name again). It won't happen overnight, or (if she keeps at it) even in 5 years. But I think she's already better than NBC's "A-team" (and ABC's former "A-team" too). Maybe NBC should set her up to replace Bezic once the latter retires. Maybe I'm just getting ahead of myself and she really doesn't want to do this full-time...
    Last edited by RD; 08-04-2010 at 04:07 AM.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Tara said it was "a huge misconception" that her hip was why she stopped skating.

From Alisha - Did you stop skating because of your hip injury?

No that is a HUGE misconception. I dealt with back and hip pain through my amateur career but nothing that I couldn't handle. I worked with several trainers to intensively strengthen the surrounding muscles. It helped immensely and I only occasionally dealt with a few flare-ups which is the norm for any athlete.

However my hip just seemed to get worse and although I went to many doctors and was misdiagnosed every time. I could skate with the pain but it was extremely frustrating!

I was finally recommended to a doctor in Florida. Dr Philippon is an amazing doctor and immediately knew I had a severely torn labrum. The orthoscopic surgery was the best thing I ever did. It saved my skating career! I went through intensive therapy and skated seven days after my surgery. Soon I was allowed to start jumping and within two months resumed my triples and started the Stars On Ice tour.

I was so happy not to be in pain on or off the ice anymore. In fact I felt so much stronger and my jumps seemed to gain even more height. I will forever be grateful to Dr Philippon.

I just decided to take a break from skating. I love professional skating and look forward to performing in the future!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    Tara said it was "a huge misconception" that her hip was why she stopped skating.

That was a nice interview, definitely think that other one was not accurrate even more than before.

vCash
    To be continued...............

vCash

I think that the less the commentators speak, the better. I´m just happy to hear that e.g. a jump was okay or had that or that fault.

I was finally recommended to a doctor in Florida. Dr Philippon is an amazing doctor and immediately knew I had a severely torn labrum. The orthoscopic surgery was the best thing I ever did. It saved my skating career! I went through intensive therapy and skated seven days after my surgery. Soon I was allowed to start jumping and within two months resumed my triples and started the Stars On Ice tour.
    Maybe I remember it wrong, but I thought that during her last SOI tour 2001-2002 Tara had to cancel her performances several times because of her hip?
    Last edited by Jaana; 08-04-2010 at 07:32 AM.

vCash
    i must be one of the few who enjoys all of the drastically different types of commentary available. it's nice to watch a performance from many different angles offered by different companies like ABC vs eurosport. if it weren't for some of the constant commentary of some american commentators, I wouldn't know what a split falling leaf or spread eagle is (i'm not a skater). also in some legendary performances it's very emotional to hear legendary skaters such as dick button or scott hamilton going bonkers and gushing along with the audience over a skater. it makes them more human.

yet at the same time it's also often great to listen to eurosport and see how quiet and respectful their commentary is. all commentary has its positives and negatives.

of course if u have a bias for a skater it can get annoying if you feel the commentators have a bias against them or are being way too chatty. it's bound to happen, can't please everyone

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post
    Never said a college degree was necessary or that everyone had to go or that one couldn't make the decision not to go. Never said a college degree would help everybody. There are exceptions to everything in life. BUT ... it can't hurt ... especially when you have the money and time to go, and aren't pursuing something so time-consuming that it would prevent you from going. Tara wouldn't have been carrying around debt and scrounging for an office job if she had gone.

In Tara's case, of course, she can choose not to go, and she has done just that. Has it hurt her? Who knows. But for someone who has never had ANY formal education (Tara was home-schooled), being in a new environment, i.e., an academic one, even for a few classes here and there, would have broadened Tara's experience.

O-
    Totally agree with you !
    I can't get why some people stick to the position "studies don't help". It's a very bad advice to give to younger people. Studies and degrees are not everything but if one can do them he'd better go for it since it can't hurt at least, and at best you get a real good and well paid job. The more strenghts you have in life, the better. Many people who did not attend college now have trouble to get a interesting professional career. Either it was a choice or not, but now they are stick to lower positions compared to people with good degrees who pass them fast and get better jobs.

vCash
    You are all assuming that Tara hasn't attended college when for all you know she could be taking a few classes here and there on the side. She keeps a lot of things to herself. Tara has always said in interviews that when she chooses to attend college she didn't want to do it halfway.

And hate to drag Michelle's name in it but since people have referenced her- Michelle too has had trouble combining school and skating and by her own admission did not receive good grades at UCLA when she was skating competitively- referencing the interview she gave when she said that her father was surprised to see she was getting As after she committed herself fully to school (paraphrasing).

People are different. Not everyone can be a Matt Savoie or other academically gifted skaters and do well in school while pursuing an activity seriously. If Tara is focused on getting acting gigs, all of her time can be occupied with acting classes, voice lessons dance etc. in addition to going out to auditions. Most people who go for acting don't make it anyway- LA is full of people who keep trying for jobs. But sometimes they get lucky and Tara seems to be in a financial position where she can pursue this career. If she enjoys the pursuit and the people she meets along the way, more power to her.

I also agree with Tangerine Dream. The only reason why employers require college is because there are so many people with degrees and it is used as another measure to weed people out.

Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast