Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 556
  1. #81

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Walking to Work
    Posts
    25,844
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    32560
    Quote Originally Posted by Artifice View Post
    Yep !
    When an employer has to choose between two equally experienced candidates, they always choose the most graduated one. And there are tons of reasons for that. Just an exemple of how studies can help... From my experience, those who said that studies and degrees mean nothing, were not holding any degree... And most of the time they had no interesting nor well paid jobs...
    I have a bachelor's degree; the two people who were up for this gig didn't; they had associate's degrees. And THIS is a FRIGGING OFFICE JOB. One was a vet like me, the other was not.

  2. #82

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    7,399
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4361
    For Tara, at least, I don't think money would be much of a concern; if it was a concern, I doubt that she would continue with her "acting." If Tara wants to stay in her current fields or something related (such as coaching, choreography, etc.) then I don't think college is necessary. If, however, she is interested in changing careers, then college (IMO) will be invaluable ... it would expose her to a lot of new fields and subjects that (eventually) may well help her in choosing her new career, as well preparing her for that new field -- and it would demonstrate to her future employer that her committment to her new field is as great as her committment was to her skating.

  3. #83

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    house hunting
    Age
    41
    Posts
    5,883
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Honestly, I have a bachelor's degree and it does me no good. The only positions i am being considered for are reception or call center-type positions; believe me, this is not what I had in mind for a career. At least where i live to get anything remotely away from admin, I need a Masters which I am working saving the money to pay for it.

  4. #84

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    2,223
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5970
    Never said a college degree was necessary or that everyone had to go or that one couldn't make the decision not to go. Never said a college degree would help everybody. There are exceptions to everything in life. BUT ... it can't hurt ... especially when you have the money and time to go, and aren't pursuing something so time-consuming that it would prevent you from going. Tara wouldn't have been carrying around debt and scrounging for an office job if she had gone.

    In Tara's case, of course, she can choose not to go, and she has done just that. Has it hurt her? Who knows. But for someone who has never had ANY formal education (Tara was home-schooled), being in a new environment, i.e., an academic one, even for a few classes here and there, would have broadened Tara's experience.

    O-

  5. #85
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,261
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Some of you might want to look at the interview again, it's really bad. She gives the same answers and mostly one sentence answers. Shes not even always answering to the question. The interviewer isn't so great himself however so I guess it could be the interviewer who is at fault. I have watched her commentary though and found that to be bad as well.
    Last edited by DickButtonFan; 08-03-2010 at 04:51 PM.

  6. #86
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,261
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Btw bill gates made some crappy computers just ask Andy Rooney lol


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1PO7nyyLn0

  7. #87
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    672
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    for me timing of coming back is funny- as michelle is basically shutting door on skating (maybe exhibitions are still open) she is coming back.
    just timing of announcing of coming back to skating is weird.
    but all the luck to her anyway.
    i do wonder if she needs money or more in (pay) per acting deal or skating so she is coming back. like she needs skating to get more money per see . or so people don't forget about her.
    but most athletes nowadays go in acting, so it is harder to keep working in acting than before.

  8. #88
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    1,273
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DickButtonFan View Post
    Some of you might want to look at the interview again, it's really bad. She gives the same answers and mostly one sentence answers. Shes not even always answering to the question. The interviewer isn't so great himself however so I guess it could be the interviewer who is at fault. I have watched her commentary though and found that to be bad as well.
    I'm still not convinced that interview is real. Or at least I don't think what she said was written down properly.

    Tara may not be a great commentator (I don't think she was that bad given it was her first try), but she's not an idiot, and 3rd graders could give the same response to every question. You don't have to have a college degree or even get past the 6th grade to form decent sentences.

  9. #89
    Bountifully Enmeshed
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    At the Christmas Bizarre
    Posts
    38,162
    vCash
    250
    Rep Power
    46915
    Quote Originally Posted by DickButtonFan View Post
    She's on tv, she should want a bigger vocabulary so that she can do a better job.
    Yeah, because sports commentators are known for their vocabularies.

    Dick Button has a big vocabulary, which mostly translates into people not having a clue what he's talking about, while Scott Hamilton repeats the same phrases over and over and is very popular with the general public.

    A big vocabulary isn't nearly as important as being able to speak clearly, describe things accurately, talk quickly and knowledgably off the top of one's head, and know when to shut up.

    And that's not even addressing the issue of the efficacy of a college education on the average person's vocabulary . If you want to talk to someone with a big vocabulary, find someone who reads a lot.

    Quote Originally Posted by DickButtonFan View Post
    I think there are a ton of people who do go to college, so much so that it has now become as common or almost essential as a high school diploma.
    A college degree is nowhere near as common or essential as a high school diploma. A ton of people go to college; most of them don't finish. This is a huge issue in academia now that people seem to think that a college degree is necessary and are pushing more and more kids into going.

    http://www.usatoday.com/news/educati...all16_CV_N.htm

    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/16/we...steinberg.html

    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    It's only "almost essential" if one aspires towards an extremely conventional path of working for corporate America.
    Indeed.

    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    If, however, she is interested in changing careers
    Is there some indication that she is?

    Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post
    Never said a college degree was necessary or that everyone had to go or that one couldn't make the decision not to go. Never said a college degree would help everybody. There are exceptions to everything in life. BUT ... it can't hurt
    I completely disagree with that. College can be a very painful experience for some people and a complete waste of time for others. See the links above.

    I realize that people who put a high value on college education are usually people who enjoyed college and benefitted from it, but that is not the case for everyone.

    Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post
    But for someone who has never had ANY formal education (Tara was home-schooled), being in a new environment, i.e., an academic one, even for a few classes here and there, would have broadened Tara's experience.
    The reverse is true, too--being homeschooled would be a new experience and broaden a lot of horizons, too, yet few recommend it.

    We could get into a nice argument about the benefits of homeschooling, but let's not, as the point is Tara--who has indeed had some formal, traditional classroom experiences and was not homeschooled for her entire educational career. She also was not homeschooled by her mother; she took a formal correspondence course--exactly as Michelle Kwan did.

    Quote Originally Posted by DickButtonFan View Post
    Some of you might want to look at the interview again, it's really bad. She gives the same answers and mostly one sentence answers. Shes not even always answering to the question. The interviewer isn't so great himself however so I guess it could be the interviewer who is at fault. I have watched her commentary though and found that to be bad as well.
    I thought her commentary was quite good and IIRC, a lot of people on this board did as well. Why did you think it was bad?
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

  10. #90
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,000
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    The interview sounds pretty bogus IMHO.

    She expanded on nothing and she sounded like a teenager "doing normal stuff' at her age?

    She is far more intelligent than that IIRC. At one time, she mentined she wanted to e a lawyer.

  11. #91

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Sleep in heavenly peace, my BH
    Posts
    11,832
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3986
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    We could get into a nice argument about the benefits of homeschooling, but let's not, as the point is Tara--who has indeed had some formal, traditional classroom experiences and was not homeschooled for her entire educational career. She also was not homeschooled by her mother; she took a formal correspondence course--exactly as Michelle Kwan did.
    However, Kwan went to UCLA for a semester while she was competing. And since 2006, she has completed her bachelors degree and is now doing graduate studies.

    I do think Tara would benefit from taking some college classes, even if she didn't want to matriculate for a degree. I sometimes found her commentary cringeworthy, especially when she kept saying "expecially".

  12. #92
    Bountifully Enmeshed
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    At the Christmas Bizarre
    Posts
    38,162
    vCash
    250
    Rep Power
    46915
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    However, Kwan went to UCLA for a semester while she was competing. And since 2006, she has completed her bachelors degree and is now doing graduate studies.
    And? Kwan always wanted to go to college and always had that as a goal. The point was that Tara's grammar school education--which some seem to feel was lacking--was just like Michelle's, which was apparently adequate enough for her to get into UCLA.

    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    I do think Tara would benefit from taking some college classes, even if she didn't want to matriculate for a degree. I sometimes found her commentary cringeworthy, especially when she kept saying "expecially".
    College teaches pronunciation? I guess that's why Jimmy Carter and George Bush stopped saying "nucular." Carter especially must have had it beaten out of him when he took those graduate courses in nuclear science.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

  13. #93

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gwyneth Paltrow Fan Club headquarters
    Posts
    17,305
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    31302
    Quote Originally Posted by query5 View Post
    but most athletes nowadays go in acting, so it is harder to keep working in acting than before.
    What?!?!? I must have missed this huge influx of athletes competing with each other for acting jobs.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

  14. #94

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    10,726
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34438
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    And? Kwan always wanted to go to college and always had that as a goal. The point was that Tara's grammar school education--which some seem to feel was lacking--was just like Michelle's, which was apparently adequate enough for her to get into UCLA.
    Pre-Nagano (and for a bit afterwards) Tara also claimed she wanted to go to college, but it seems that the chance for an acting career had more appeal to her. Once she had a small taste of it, she's never uttered another public comment about college AFAIK.
    College teaches pronunciation? I guess that's why Jimmy Carter and George Bush stopped saying "nucular." Carter especially must have had it beaten out of him when he took those graduate courses in nuclear science.
    I'm not sure that Jimmy had any nuclear science courses -- I think he took nucular science instead.

    I still cringe whenever I hear colleagues referring to getting reports finished by the end of the "physical" (fiscal) year.

  15. #95

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    7,157
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    44806
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    What?!?!? I must have missed this huge influx of athletes competing with each other for acting jobs.

  16. #96

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    2,223
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5970
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I completely disagree with that. College can be a very painful experience for some people and a complete waste of time for others. See the links above.

    I realize that people who put a high value on college education are usually people who enjoyed college and benefitted from it, but that is not the case for everyone.

    (snip)


    I thought her commentary was quite good and IIRC, a lot of people on this board did as well.
    How would Tara know if she would have liked college or benefitted from it if she never tried it? It's not like she had to get a degree. Lots of us try things, realize it's not for us, and move on. Tara had the luxury of being able to try it out time-wise and money-wise that many folks just don't have (and who are forced to make a decision one way or the other). And being homeschooled AND taking classes in a more formal setting, such as university, would have broadened Tara's experience more than simply being homeschooled.

    I realize Tara didn't want to go to college, and that's fine, but I don't think you can argue that taking some college courses wouldn't have further broadened Tara's experience and introduced her to situations and subject matters that were new to her. And I don't think you can argue that Tara knew she wouldn't like college before she gave it a try.

    I think Tara's commentating is very good, a lot better than most of the commentators out there. I hope she continues down that path and that we see her back on the ice.

    O-

  17. #97

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    2,223
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5970
    Duplicate post deleted

  18. #98
    Bountifully Enmeshed
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    At the Christmas Bizarre
    Posts
    38,162
    vCash
    250
    Rep Power
    46915
    Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post
    And being homeschooled AND taking classes in a more formal setting, such as university, would have broadened Tara's experience more than simply being homeschooled.
    Again, Tara DID take classes in a formal setting AND she's been taking acting classes, which I assume are held in a formal setting as well.

    There are a lot of ways to broaden experience, be introduced to new subject matters and situations, and meet new people. College is just one possibility and has its limitations in those areas, just like everything else.

    Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post
    I realize Tara didn't want to go to college, and that's fine, but I don't think you can argue that taking some college courses wouldn't have further broadened Tara's experience and introduced her to situations and subject matters that were new to her. And I don't think you can argue that Tara knew she wouldn't like college before she gave it a try.
    I don't believe I argued either one. I argued--and continue to argue--that college is not for everyone.

    You get out of education what you put into it, which is why I firmly believe that the only people who should be in college are the ones who want to be there. If you don't have the passion for learning in that particular kind of environment, then it is an awfully expensive way to put off doing something that is better suited to your personality and needs.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

  19. #99
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    38
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by lise View Post
    Honestly, I have a bachelor's degree and it does me no good. The only positions i am being considered for are reception or call center-type positions; believe me, this is not what I had in mind for a career. At least where i live to get anything remotely away from admin, I need a Masters which I am working saving the money to pay for it.
    LOL... As you probably are aware, not all bechelor degrees are the same. How much you can make and what position you are considered probably depend on what you have learned in college. IMO, this has more to do with what your major is than getting a bechelor degree with no market value. Some of popular majors with a potential hefty salary are for example nursing, engineering, accounting, computer science, etc. Also what college you have graduated plays a significant role. If an individual graduated some obscure local college of no name, he/she should lower the expection for any type of hefty salary. This simply is not going to happen, and that is the way it is.
    Last edited by DeathDrop; 08-03-2010 at 10:17 PM.

  20. #100
    Bountifully Enmeshed
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    At the Christmas Bizarre
    Posts
    38,162
    vCash
    250
    Rep Power
    46915
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathDrop View Post
    LOL... As you probably are aware, not all bechelor degrees are the same. How much you can make and what position you are considered probably depend on what you have learned in college. IMO, this has more to do with what your major is than getting a bechelor degree with no market value. Some of popular majors with a potential hefty salary are for example nursing, engineering, accounting, etc. Also what college you have graduated plays a significant role. If an individual graduated some obscure local college of no name, he/she should lower the expection for any type of hefty salary. This simply is not going to happen, and that is the way it is.
    I would say that getting a bachelor's in some fields and/or attending a college with no name makes it more challenging to make the hefty salary (which lise did not, in any case, say she wanted or expected), but I think saying that is it simply isn't going to happen ignores the fact that a lot of people with useless degrees and no-name alma maters are very successful--as are people who haven't attended college at all.

    Is it harder? Usually. But it's not impossible, by any means.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •