Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RockTheTassel View Post
    But is Ashley going full time? I thought she was just taking a couple courses.

Are there any successful skaters who go/went to college full time? I wouldn't really count Alissa since her only achievement is one controversial win at nationals.

Carol Heiss and I believe, Uncle Dick.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Carol Heiss and I believe, Uncle Dick.
    If "success" is winning an Olympic gold medal, then, yes, those are the two best examples. But if we count "success" as being competitive at a high level when going to school, then there's skaters like Paul Wylie and Tonia Kwiatkowski (who at one point IIRC was taking a full course load *and* skating nationally/internationally).
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    I think what was meant was 5 new, 1st time national champions. Kwan won her 9th, 8th consecutive, title in 2005 . . . Michelle was the last one to defend her title is the point that was being made, unless Flatt is able to do it next year.
    If you take Michelle out of the equation from 1990-1996 there was a different champion each year. U.S. is returning to normal form. Kwan was basically a skating freak in the best sense.

vCash
    Didn't Debi Thomas also attend Stanford while she was competing? And wasn't Michelle attending UCLA when she won Worlds in 2000 and 2001?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymer Bob View Post
    2006- Kwan: no-show
    True as well, but perhaps I should have been more clear...I was referring to first-time winners of the National championship.

vCash
    Christina Gao will be national champion this year, I just have this feeling that she will be, plus, she's been skating great recently .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Christina Gao will be national champion this year, I just have this feeling that she will be, plus, she's been skating great recently .
    expectation much?

Her time may (or may not) come, but I highly doubt it will be as soon as next season. she's not even doing senior internationals. However, a podium finish is not out of the question. Actually, would have happened this year if Cohen did what everyone expected her to do (or not do, in this case).

vCash
    That was a wonderful interview. Kimmie's poise and public persona has always been impeccable. US Figure Skating has been extraordinarily fortunate to have had her as a symbol and role model for skaters growing up into the sport.

Kimmie and Michelle Kwan are the only American Ladies to win World Championships in the 21st century. No American lady has even been on the World podium since Kimmie won gold in 2006!

The Magnificent Seven
    There are seven ladies I would call the World Class elite ladies of the 21st Century -
    Michelle, Irina, Shizuka; Kimmie, Miki, Mao, and Yu-Na. All seven have been World Champions and two, only Shizuka and Yu-Na, have been both World and Olympic champions.

Out of the thousands of skaters vying for World and Olympic championships, only the Magnificant Seven ladies made it and Kimmie is one of them. It makes no sense at this level of accomplishment to focus on prizes not won.

These seven have all been to the mountain top while most skaters -- and most of us -- have not even been close.

As an aside, I think linking to a religious blog written by and for people of faith and then criticizing it for using the language of faith is neither fair nor polite. People like Kimmie are always going to be thankful to their parents, schools, communities, coaches, friends, country and God. It should be no surprise that God will tend to be brought up when addressing communities of faith.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leon View Post
    Kimmie and Michelle Kwan are the only American Ladies to win World Championships in the 21st century. No American lady has even been on the World podium since Kimmie won gold in 2006!
    ...including Kimmie herself, unfortunately.

Since this is a Meissner thread I should point out that she tweeted about this article a couple weeks ago...she has neither confirmed nor denied that she will attempt a "comeback" this season. What she will do, though, is go to school, full-time I believe. I figure if she was really up for it, she'd have let USFS know by now, so I'm just going to assume she's done and ready to retire.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    The Magnificent Seven
    There are seven ladies I would call the World Class elite ladies of the 21st Century -
    Michelle, Irina, Shizuka; Kimmie, Miki, Mao, and Yu-Na. All seven have been World Champions and two, only Shizuka and Yu-Na, have been both World and Olympic champions.
    I believe there are many who would substitute Sasha and Joannie for Kimmie and Miki, definitely the weakest links of those you mentioned, in your "Magnificent Seven" list. Cohen and Rochette both have Olympic medals, which Meissner and Ando don't possess, and both finished as high as 2nd in the World. Sarah Hughes was not mentioned, no surprise, but she is an Olympic champion and World bronze medalist, albeit a forgettable one.
    Last edited by museksk8r; 08-01-2010 at 07:09 AM.

vCash
    I agree with leaving out Sarah, who as far as I know, only won 2 international events in her whole career. Shizuka, I'm not sure about. She was inconsistent, often finishing in double digits.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fly On The Wall View Post
    God gives the talent. You supply the work. Seems pretty straightforward to me.
    Santa Claus gives the talent. You supply the work. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

vCash
    As an aside, I think linking to a religious blog written by and for people of faith and then criticizing it for using the language of faith is neither fair nor polite. People like Kimmie are always going to be thankful to their parents, schools, communities, coaches, friends, country and God. It should be no surprise that God will tend to be brought up when addressing communities of faith.
    ITA, the interview and questions were geared for people of faith, therefore it is not fair to nitpick and complain about why she believes her talent is from God (even though I know this is FSU and everyone is free to nitpick as they will :p). However I think it is refreshing to hear an athlete discuss her relationship with God and her spiritual life. In this age it seems that everything is up for discussion including sex lives and scandals that are better left uncovered, yet when someone openly discusses faith some people seem to be uncomfortable with that topic.

I remember that Todd Eldredge had been asked a few years ago on his fan site what his faith was and if he had one in what way did it help him through the difficult times in his career (paraphrasing) and he did not (or his rep) did not post an answer to the question saying that he prefers to keep his faith private. While I respect his wishes in that matter, it was a good question and would have been interesting and a real view in his inner workings to see how he answered it (all the more reason I guess for him to keep private).

Either way, it was an excellent interview and I'm so glad it was posted.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymer Bob View Post
    I agree with leaving out Sarah, who as far as I know, only won 2 international events in her whole career. Shizuka, I'm not sure about. She was inconsistent, often finishing in double digits.
    But when Arakawa won, she was as good as anyone else got.

I was sad when Meissner had so many jump issues post 2006. I liked that she was evolving a simple, mature style that suited her.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post

I was sad when Meissner had so many jump issues post 2006. I liked that she was evolving a simple, mature style that suited her.
    Yes, because in 2006 she was nothing but jumps. I think the jump issues may have pushed her to focus on other aspects of her skating, such as relating to the audience.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    expectation much?

Her time may (or may not) come, but I highly doubt it will be as soon as next season. she's not even doing senior internationals. However, a podium finish is not out of the question. Actually, would have happened this year if Cohen did what everyone expected her to do (or not do, in this case).
    You never know what will happen, and I'm really liking what I'm seeing from Christina so far. I see her as the 2nd most promising US lady right now - behind Nagasu. Plus that 3f-3t is beeautifull

vCash
    I think Gao will be somewhere on the medal stand at Nationals this season, but I'm not entirely convinced it will be at the top (yet, that is, because she has loads of talent!).

As for Kimmie, I would love to see her make a come back this season. She has until September 1st to sign up for Regionals...

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    *dreads to think of the trainwreck splatfest that would be required at Nationals for someone like Christina Gao to win or even finish top 3* I'm having flashbacks of Nationals in Phoenix 1993.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chipso1 View Post
    I think Gao will be somewhere on the medal stand at Nationals this season, but I'm not entirely convinced it will be at the top (yet, that is, because she has loads of talent!).

As for Kimmie, I would love to see her make a come back this season. She has until September 1st to sign up for Regionals...
    Gao needs to win nationals as a first-year senior about as much as she needs a hole in the head.

vCash
    Gao is a second year senior.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast