Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Kimmie Meissner on skating & faith

Came across this totally by accident while reading something else! Mods, I did a quick search to make sure it wasn't already up, but if it is here and I missed it, please delete.

http://www.patheos.com/Resources/Add...-Meissner.html
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Thanks for posting this. What an interesting interview, and what a sensible and balanced person she comes across as. It's refreshing to read an interview with an athlete who's not all about "God made it so that I would win".
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    She seems like such a sweet girl with a good head upon her shoulders. I wish her all the best of luck in the future.

P.S. Does anyone know for sure what her competitive status is these days?

vCash
    The criticism is hard. Some people will make assumptions about you before even meeting you. Some will gossip about things that seem unimportant, like my weight, my hair, my makeup, and so on. I'm not saying that I have never gossiped. But I never want my actual skating to get lost among the gossip and the criticism.
    Sounds like she's been reading here. I wish her all the best.

vCash
    That's really sad. I try to refrain from making unnecessarily rude comments about skater's appearances, and in general things they have NO control over. Unfortunately there will always be those who cannot help themselves. Skaters DO read boards like this one, and who knows, maybe some of them are posters among us!

Kimmie, if you're reading this, I love you!

vCash
    Kimmie for gold in 2014!

vCash
    Kimmie is so sweet, and I am glad that her faith "helps her through rough times" but it really irks me when people say their talents and abilities are "gifts from god."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Butz View Post
    Kimmie is so sweet, and I am glad that her faith "helps her through rough times" but it really irks me when people say their talents and abilities are "gifts from god."
    I don't understand why. It is her right as a US Citizen to have her own religious beliefs...personally I don't see that statement as being irksome.

vCash
    Very sweet article. I rather like it when people acknowledge that their talents and abilities are gifts from G-d, as opposed to something solely attributable to their own merit.

vCash
    I am totally not religious, but I found it a sweet article, and I'm glad she has that belief/strength to hold her through the tough times. I would really like to see her compete again. I have found her courage and dignity quite "real," not just PR/USFSA-Speak,though the years. She seems like a genuine person.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    I don't understand why. It is her right as a US Citizen to have her own religious beliefs...personally I don't see that statement as being irksome.
    It certainly is her right, and she is entitled to believe that. I just happen to think it's ridiculous. I like people to take credit for their own hard work, passion, and motivation rather than attribute it to some magical nonsense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Butz View Post
    It certainly is her right, and she is entitled to believe that. I just happen to think it's ridiculous. I like people to take credit for their own hard work, passion, and motivation rather than attribute it to some magical nonsense.
    To the people who believe that God gave them some talent or skill it is absolutely not "magical nonsense".

vCash
    Oh my goodness. Maybe it's just me, but I am a very religious person, and your comment about "magical nonsense" was highly insulting to a practicing Catholic. If I may ask, do you practice any type of formal religion? I think the answer must be no, for if you did, I doubt you would ever say something like that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Oh my goodness. Maybe it's just me, but I am a very religious person, and your comment about "magical nonsense" was highly insulting to a practicing Catholic. If I may ask, do you practice any type of formal religion? I think the answer must be no, for if you did, I doubt you would ever say something like that.
    You are entitled to your opinion, but you should realize that what irks you about my statement is the same thing that irks me about Kimmie's.

Personally, I don't practice religion. I grew up with it, and was even confirmed, but as an adult I decided it was a complete waste of time FOR ME. That doesn't mean it's a waste of time for everybody.

To better illustrate my irkdom, let me just say that I am a professional musician, and since I was a kid I've been hearing the "god has given you a gift speech" and it's really annoying. Who are you to assume I was born with some magical ability? You didn't see the hours and hours of practice, the nerve-wracking competitions, or the years of instruction from famous teachers. You just showed up at the recital, heard me play, and assumed I was "given" this ability. If somebody else wants to let their god take credit for what they've done, that is their choice, but I choose to take credit for my own hard work and experience. That's why we have copyright afterall

vCash
    The connection seems forced, arbitrary and certainly tenuous, but whatever helps you.
    What is the last date before she will need to decide to compete? I would like to see her come back if she is ready.

vCash
    I suppose she would have to compete at South Atlantic Regionals first, and then Eastern Sectionals. The deadline to register for the 2010-2011 Qualifying Season is 9/1/2010.
    Last edited by Jenna; 07-31-2010 at 02:13 AM.

vCash
    Kimmie sounds like a really decent girl. I guess most skaters do. But going to college full time and skating can be a tough assignment.

Of course, Alissa did it and Ashley is doing it now.

vCash
    Such a nice interview--thanks for sharing it! Doesn't sound like we'll know until October whether she felt ready to take on competition again. I STILL hope she does--if not this year then the next, or the next. Her presentation made SUCH leaps and bounds in 2007-2009, even if she was struggling technically, and you can definitely see the joy in her skating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymer Bob View Post
    Kimmie sounds like a really decent girl. I guess most skaters do. But going to college full time and skating can be a tough assignment.

Of course, Alissa did it and Ashley is doing it now.
    But is Ashley going full time? I thought she was just taking a couple courses.

Are there any successful skaters who go/went to college full time? I wouldn't really count Alissa since her only achievement is one controversial win at nationals.

vCash
    I'm certainly not presuming to speak on anyone's behalf, but I truly don't believe that Triple Butz was trying to stir up trouble here, and I hope that this thread doesn't degenerate into something yucky because people's buttons are getting pushed. Personally, I am in agreement with Triple Butz (about being irked when athletic success is attributed to God); but to me, it isn't a religious thing, actually. Instead, I take issue with the current "culture of humility," for lack of a better term, that makes it "tacky" or just plain WRONG for a person to stand up and take credit where credit is due. Society sends us the message that we shouldn't be proud of ourselves, shouldn't toot our own horns--and so we have to shift the credit elsewhere. This is especially damaging for young girls, like Kimmie. To me, it's not a question of abandoning religion--it's only about building healthy self-esteem.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast