Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Plushenko won't go to the Court of Arbitration for Sport over his ineligibility

ETA : But asks the ISU to reverse its decision. (can't edit the title to complete it)

I don't think that has been posted before.
    I was checking the website of L'Equipe for the Euro athletics champs and found this

Roughly translated by Google :

Plushenko request ISU's clemency

Competition prohibited by the International Federation (ISU) because of his participation in paid galas, Evgeni Plushenko decided not to appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport. "We felt that this was not the right process, "his coach said Friday, Alexei Mishin. The Russian, triple world champion and gold medalist at the Turin Olympics, does not abandon the idea of entering the Games in Sochi in 2014 and expects to it "that the ISU will reverse its decision." Which seems complicated because he took part in performances in Russia and other countries in March and April, at the same time missing the World Championships, without seeking permission from the Russian Federation (FSFR). "Evgeni is a remarkable athlete who has contributed greatly not only in skating but also in Russian world sport, "pleaded his coach. (Avec AFP)

vCash
    Yeah him and Mishin expect the ISU to reverse itself and wont go the CAS- i think this was in the original thread about the disqualification

vCash
    Is he hoping that the ISU will admit it's wrong? That seems like a pretty big gamble...

vCash
    I wonder when Plushenko´s time for the appeal in CSA is over? Or is it already?
    Last edited by Jaana; 07-29-2010 at 06:49 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    Is he hoping that the ISU will admit it's wrong? That seems like a pretty big gamble...

or arrogance.................

vCash
    As far as I know, skaters sometimes loose eligibility and then regain it again later (for example those who retired, then skated in shows and then came back because of Olympics, such us Shen/Zhao, Lambiel, Cohen and Pluschenko). So I wonder why he is worried that he lost his eligibility. Can't he reapply again when he needs it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    As far as I know, skaters sometimes loose eligibility and then regain it again later (for example those who retired, then skated in shows and then came back because of Olympics, such us Shen/Zhao, Lambiel, Cohen and Pluschenko). So I wonder why he is worried that he lost his eligibility. Can't he reapply again when he needs it?
    There is a difference between not qualifying for the next year and losing eligibility to qualify/compete. Cohen, Shen/Zhao and Lambiel all took time off from the sport, as did Plushenko before this Olympics. However, they weren't banned or deemed ineligible by breaking rules or doing something that would somehow make them ineligible in the eyes of the ISU.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Because of the specific rule he broke when the Russian Fed rescinded permission after the ISU questioned his medical excuse, he can ask for reinstatement later, and there is no deadline for this.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    It certainly would be exciting to have Evgeni in Sochi. He and the ISU will probably find a resolution before then.

vCash
    I think that EP has no intention of competing in Sochi. Losing his eligibility this way is exactly what he wanted (again, IMHO) because it allows him to save face. "I would compete but the nasty ISU won't let me."

His mind may still want to compete, but there is just no way his body could handle it.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    His mind may still want to compete, but there is just no way his body could handle it.
    Isn't Zhao older than him? As long as he doesn't over do it...

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Isn't Zhao older than him?
    Yes, but Zhao wasn't doing quads and triple axels.....
    Be with me always—take any form—drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! it is unutterable! I cannot live without my life! I cannot live without my soul!"

vCash
    Isn't Zhao older than him? As long as he doesn't over do it...
    I don't know, but IMHO, it would seem that training to win the men's Olympic Gold medal is probably the definition of over doing it. There are at least a half dozen skaters who could potentially be vying for that medal in 2014. No one can afford to rest on their laurels if they are serious about being a contender. Now, if he just wants to go because he loves competing and is only looking to do his best and his placement doesn't matter .... that is another thing entirely
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    His mind may still want to compete
    Don't you mean "his wife"?
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    I think he had only 2 or 3 weeks' time after the initial ruling, so it's probably already over.

And it seems to be the height of arrogance to NOT take the effort to do what has been suggested as a means of appeal, but to just expect the ISU to adjust their decision without him making any effort whatsoever. It seems that those who are suggesting he never really wanted to compete in Sochi may be right, and he has just sabotaged himself with the whole deal.
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
    And it seems to be the height of arrogance to NOT take the effort to do what has been suggested as a means of appeal, but to just expect the ISU to adjust their decision without him making any effort whatsoever. It seems that those who are suggesting he never really wanted to compete in Sochi may be right, and he has just sabotaged himself with the whole deal.
    Why would Plushenko go to CAS, which de facto requires lawyers and de jure requires paperwork, travel to hearings, etc. and only determines whether the ISU had the right to make him ineligible, when he can back off and ask them to be reinstated in a few years, if he feels like it? He might be angry or annoyed with the ISU decision, but it's a waste of time and money for him to be a martyr.

I don't see where Mishin's comment means that the ISU will adjust their decision without any effort. The effort would be to request reinstatement if and when he's ready, and it's not all that improbable that the ISU would agree, especially since they made an exception for his infraction and allows reinstatement. If they were saying "never", the "never" rule would have applied to his situation, instead of being excluded.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    And it seems to be the height of arrogance to NOT take the effort to do what has been suggested as a means of appeal, but to just expect the ISU to adjust their decision without him making any effort whatsoever.
    What kind of effort? For the athlete appealing to CAS in 3 weeks time, it means he must appeal claiming that the said ISU decision was wrong or false or unfair or something, and he would have to proove why it was not valid. Why or how should he do this if the decision was justified???

Not to mention that this is L' Equipe article and it doesnt quote any direct Plushenko's announcement, in any case, since it is off season, and before jumping on arrogance and all that cosmetic adjectives because he didnt appeal to CAS maybe someone could just read the ISU rules -that had been posted here like 10 times last month-of regaining eligibilty concidering his category of inegibility or just read this :

Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Because of the specific rule he broke when the Russian Fed rescinded permission after the ISU questioned his medical excuse, he can ask for reinstatement later, and there is no deadline for this.
    Last edited by senorita; 07-30-2010 at 01:34 AM.

vCash
    Bye Plushy!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    The appeal time is already over. But, as far as I understand the situation, is is the other way round -to appeal means to accuse ISU in being wrong. Not to appeal means that Plushenko agrees with the ISU decision. His plan is that he files a plea with the Russian federation admitting he was in the wrong, the federation supposedly accepts his plea and files a request with the ISU to resume Plushenko's eligibility.

vCash
    He had 2 weeks to file his appeal. That time has past! With Cinquanta still in charge through Sochi Olympics, I believe there is practically no chance in hell that ISU will reverse it's decision. IMHO, the era of Plushenko is finished!
    There is nothing more captivating in this world than a woman's form gracing the ice in skating boots. It's simply sensational!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast