Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Autumn_girl View Post
    ITA. Laura is a lovely skater with a great posture, skating skills, choreography, etc. But I don't think it's right that girls with full set of triples and FS with 5-6 clean triples finish behind her when she lands only 2-3 triples in the FS. And now, when the base value of doublesum is higher, she doesn't even have to try triple lutzes, she can land only 2-3 triples (toeloops or salchow) and then do doubles and still win a medal. It's sad
    And then we hear there's more to skating than jumping lalala. The thing is that's true there is more to skating than jumping but the fact is that jumps are a HUGE part of single's skating. And it takes practice to get those jumps consistent. Its not right to act like it doesn't/shouldn't matter.

vCash
    Well, looking at the bright side, skaters like Mao [for the 3x], Miki [3z-3l] and the whole bevy of American Gals when they get tight [Mirai, Rachael, Ashley, Caroline] are going to benefit more for attempting 1/4 - 1/2 turn ur'd triples and getting 70% of the base value, as opposed to those jumps being completely downgraded to doubles. This may more than make up for Lepisto's advantage to slighty increased value for doubles

vCash
    ITA. Laura is a lovely skater with a great posture, skating skills, choreography, etc. But I don't think it's right that girls with full set of triples and FS with 5-6 clean triples finish behind her when she lands only 2-3 triples in the FS. And now, when the base value of doubles is higher, she doesn't even have to try triple lutzes, she can land only 2-3 triples (toeloops or salchow) and then do doubles and still win a medal. It's sad
    She WAS only 6th in the LP at Worlds though, Miki was boring, Phanuef got low levels on all her spins, Carolina's jumps were shaky and she was being punished for her meltdown of a season and they still all beat Laura in the FS. So really, Laura is not at fault here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    She WAS only 6th in the LP at Worlds though, Miki was boring, Phanuef got low levels on all her spins, Carolina's jumps were shaky and she was being punished for her meltdown of a season and they still all beat Laura in the FS. So really, Laura is not at fault here.
    Yes, but Paneuf and Carolina still only beat Laura by like a point or two,even will all the triples they landed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    Yes, but Paneuf and Carolina still only beat Laura by like a point or two,even will all the triples they landed.
    True. But they are both incredibly inconsistent and had been getting low FS scores all season so the judges probably weren't comfortable giving them scores that were too high, but Laura where she scored so well at the Olympics, it seemed more reasonable I guess. Her FS score in Vancouver was about 12 points higher than at Worlds, and even there she doubled one jump, so in comparison, I guess it is fair, although in all honesty I thought her FS score in Vancouver was a little too high for what she did (not way too high, but 115-120 may have been more reasonable IMO).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    True. But they are both incredibly inconsistent and had been getting low FS scores all season so the judges probably weren't comfortable giving them scores that were too high, but Laura where she scored so well at the Olympics, it seemed more reasonable I guess. Her FS score in Vancouver was about 12 points higher than at Worlds, and even there she doubled one jump, so in comparison, I guess it is fair, although in all honesty I thought her FS score in Vancouver was a little too high for what she did (not way too high, but 115-120 may have been more reasonable IMO).
    Aren't the judges supposed to mark what they see on the night, as opposed to how you skate the whole season?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    Aren't the judges supposed to mark what they see on the night, as opposed to how you skate the whole season?
    That is one of the great mysteries of skating. I think they are supposed to, but nobody knows for sure if they do.

vCash
    It's fairly obvious to me whether a skater is held up or not based on their history, rep or potential. When they have a bad night, are they docked like they should be? If there's any sort of padding in the score, it screams "Rep Points" to me.

vCash
    ITA. Laura is a lovely skater with a great posture, skating skills, choreography, etc. But I don't think it's right that girls with full set of triples and FS with 5-6 clean triples finish behind her when she lands only 2-3 triples in the FS. And now, when the base value of doubles is higher, she doesn't even have to try triple lutzes, she can land only 2-3 triples (toeloops or salchow) and then do doubles and still win a medal. It's sad
    I often post the opinion that nice jumps have an effect on the judges, making all other elements look prettier. Likewise, falls and step-outs make everything else look uglier.

But it may go beyond that. Maybe nice double jumps have a greater psychological effect on judges than sloppy triples. So even though a perfect double lutz is worth less than a cheated triple, maybe the perfect double affects the judges, making other elements look nicer than a triple flutz does. So Laura's pretty double loses 2 or 3 points, but nets her 10 or 15 points of psychological effect. ( Does this make any sense? )

vCash
    So who do y'all think should have earned the bronze at Worlds?

I found the ladies competition to be very uninspiring and haven't watched it a second time - it seems to me that Laura earned her medal with a less than stellar and technically watered down skate because those behind her skated even worse.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post

I found the ladies competition to be very uninspiring and haven't watched it a second time - it seems to me that Laura earned her medal with a less than stellar and technically watered down skate because those behind her skated even worse.
    I would put Miky Ando third, Carolina Kostner fourth and Laura fift.

vCash

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    I would put Miky Ando third, Carolina Kostner fourth and Laura fift.
    What happened to Phaneuf???

Anyway, either Miki or Cynthia in 3rd with Kostner in 5th. Laura Lepisto should have been 9th behind Nagasu, Makarova, and Flatt.
    Last edited by smarts1; 08-04-2010 at 01:51 AM.

vCash
    What happened to Phaneuf???

Anyway, either Miki or Cynthia in 3rd with Kostner in 5th. Laura Lepisto should have been 9th behind Nagasu, Makarova, and Flatt.
    Believe me, I'm not a Lepisto fan either but I would not have put Lepisto behind Nagasu, Makarova, and Flatt in this particular competition - I truly like Nagasu but she unraveled in that LP. Flatt is competitive but IIRC, she popped an important jump and ur'd other jumps, and Flatt unfortunately loses a lot to her program when she loses her jumps. I don't have the protocols in front of me, but I recall it was very close and I would have placed all of Kostner, Ando and Phaneuf over Lepisto. Ando had quite a comeback, and that was two of the cleanest programs that Kostner and Phaneuf ever skated.

ETA - Sad thing was that if Mirai had just rotated and stood up on that 2x, she would've been the bronze medalist ahead of all of them

vCash
    Miki should have been the bronze medalist. The fact the technical caller downgraded Miki's final 2loop in her 2axel+2loop+2loop combo was robbery especially considering that Mao's loops were called as rotated.

But then, perhaps Miki would have gone pro deciding to end her competitive career on a high note, so perhaps finishing off the podium at Olympics and Worlds ignited her competive spirit to come back strong when Worlds are in Japan again this coming season.
    Last edited by Lainerb; 08-03-2010 at 07:59 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Believe me, I'm not a Lepisto fan either but I would not have put Lepisto behind Nagasu, Makarova, and Flatt in this particular competition - I truly like Nagasu but she unraveled in that LP. Flatt is competitive but IIRC, she popped an important jump and ur'd other jumps, and Flatt unfortunately loses a lot to her program when she loses her jumps. I don't have the protocols in front of me, but I recall it was very close and I would have placed all of Kostner, Ando and Phaneuf over Lepisto. Ando had quite a comeback, and that was two of the cleanest programs that Kostner and Phaneuf ever skated.

ETA - Sad thing was that if Mirai had just rotated and stood up on that 2x, she would've been the bronze medalist ahead of all of them
    Now that I think about it, Flatt only landed 4 triples... But they were all harder, so kind of iffy between them and Lepisto beats Flatt on the second mark...

But definitely, I would still put Nagasu and Ksenia over Lepisto. Nagasu also landed just 3 clean triples, but rotated 4 (I think that DG on the triple toe at the end was unfair.). Nagasu had a huge lead over Lepisto coming into the LP and Nagasu's spins are way better than Lepisto's. Plus Nagasu doesn't have windmill arms.

As for Makarova, her lack of brand name put her behind. Her program was even better than Nagasu, Flatt, and Lepisto. She was another one that was robbed.

vCash
    As for Makarova, her lack of brand name put her behind. Her program was even better than Nagasu, Flatt, and Lepisto. She was another one that was robbed.
    Agreed. Lepisto, as Europe's top prospect, seems to get an automatic +1 on her PCS.

I've seen her skate in person and she is fast, but no faster than say, Ando. Her choreography is decent but she hits a few ugly positions in her spins, notably the layback. A three triple, bronze medal-winning free is ridiculous.

Makarova has shallower stroking and her posture isn't as strong, but she regular produces two or three more triples than Lepisto.

Hopefully some of these juniors will bring some high-level flip and Lutz combinations and show Lepisto how it's done.

vCash
    Only on FSU could a thread on Mao, Yu-Na, and Mirai suddenly turn into a debate over the bronze medal from a competition in March.

Seriously can we please continue to discuss what the title of this thread implies? If you feel the need to rehash this topic AGAIN, please move your discussion to the Ladies Free Skate thread of the 2010 World Championships, or better yet, the Trash Can.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    I thought Phaneuf should have. She was the only one who did 2 almost clean programs (other than a hand down on one jump in the short). Her PCS in the LP were harsh.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lainerb View Post
    Miki should have been the bronze medalist. The fact the technical caller downgraded Miki's final 2loop in her 2axel+2loop+2loop combo was robbery especially considering that Mao's loops were called as rotated.
    Miki didn't win bronze because she didn't add a 2lo or 2t to her 3f in the SP after she fell on the lutz, that's all she needed to have done to have gotten bronze. Actually, she may have even won bronze if her 2lo in the LP hadn't been downgraded, as she was less than a point off bronze (what's the difference in value btwn a 2lo and a 1lo?). But still, I guess she had a meltdown in the SP. Laura was helped out by her high score in the SP, which I personally thought the 64 was a little too high given that she botched the 2a and did a 3lo as her solo jump, but maybe that's just me...

vCash
    Ando didn't get the bronze because she completely bombed the SP and was not good enough in the FS to catch up. She was not wuz robbed by any means considering how she was over-scored in program components like she has been all her career. I can't imagine anyone else getting such high PCS with hunched back, two footed skating, long breaks in the middle of program, and overall sluggishness.

Only time I can ever remember her PCS getting marked correctly was when she received 52 at 08 SA.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast