Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    I mean this past season Miki wasn't even at her best/most exciting, and she still managed to earn 2 GP golds, silver at the GPF, 4th at Japanese Nationals when she already had her Olympic spot reserved, 5th at the Olympics, 4th at Worlds. That's pretty good and shows great consistency and the ability to control nerves. I think for Mirai this will come will age and experience, as that appears to be what did it for Ando.
    She managed to earn them but she was also helped a lot by her competitors faltering during the GP series. I sympathize with Miki because I feel the only way the judges will favor her is when her competitors make mistakes. But if the others skate well, she will be sidelined as evidenced at the Olympics. This is not what I wish for Mirai's career.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    She managed to earn them but she was also helped a lot by her competitors faltering during the GP series. I sympathize with Miki because I feel the only way the judges will favor her is when her competitors make mistakes. But if the others skate well, she will be sidelined as evidenced at the Olympics. This is not what I wish for Mirai's career.
    I guess but Miki's consistently good results are worth honoring. Ever since 2006, she's not one to meltdown in competition. I also feel that if Miki skated like she did in practice in competition, then she wouldn't always be sidelined, she is fantastic in practice and then becomes a bit too reserved in competition.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Ever since 2006, she's not one to meltdown in competition. I also feel that if Miki skated like she did in practice in competition, then she wouldn't always be sidelined, she is fantastic in practice and then becomes a bit too reserved in competition.
    2006-2007 season GPF (she was ranked last in the LP) and 2007 NHK Trophy (7th in the LP with a performance marred by many falls and downgraded jumps) were meltdowns for Miki I think. She also finished last at the 2008-2009 season GPF. I would also consider her SP at this year's Worlds to be a meltdown. She of course was injured at 2008 Worlds and wasn't able to complete her LP. When Miki is on, she's really on, but when she's off, she's really off.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chipso1 View Post
    Characteristics of Skating Skills:
    • Balance and rhythmic knee action and precision of foot and placement
    • Flow and effortless glide
    • Cleanness and sureness of deep edges, steps and turns
    • Power/energy and acceleration
    • Mastery of multi directional skating
    • Mastery of one foot skating

If the judges were to "deduct" from Ashley's PCS due to her jump issues, it would likely be seen in the Performance/Execution category, not the Skating Skills category. There's nothing wrong with Ashley's skating skills.
    Wouldn't faulty jumping affect any of the above? I mean if a jump is faulty, wouldn't it affect precision of foot and placement? flow? glide? just curious.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    2006-2007 season GPF (she was ranked last in the LP) and 2007 NHK Trophy (7th in the LP with a performance marred by many falls and downgraded jumps) were meltdowns for Miki I think. She also finished last at the 2008-2009 season GPF. I would also consider her SP at this year's Worlds to be a meltdown. She of course was injured at 2008 Worlds and wasn't able to complete her LP. When Miki is on, she's really on, but when she's off, she's really off.
    The thing about 2006 GPF was that Miki had the stomach flu and thus popped more than half her jumps.

We all know what happened to Miki in 2007-08...

vCash
    Yes but all the top competitors have PCS of near or above 30 for SP and 60 for LP. Ashley may have PCS comparable to Flatt and Czisny now, but her PCS are still quite a bit lower than what Kim, Asada, Rochette, Ando, Lepisto, an on Carolina, and now Mirai regularly receive. Further, Czisny is a tier 2 skater and Flatt is only a tier 1 skater because of her dependebly high TES which make up for her PCS which are significantly lower than the top guns (the same can be said of Akiko Suzuki).

To be competitive with the best, Ashley needs to either find a way to boost her PCS or become extremely consistent with her jumps and start doing 3-3s in competition to raise her TES enough to make up for her lower PCS (which likely would also result in higher PCS). This makes sense if you think about it, I mean Lepisto scored 114 for her double filled FS at Worlds, but that was because she got 60+ for TES. For Ashley to score 114 now, it would mean she'd need a TES score of 60+ which is quite hard to receive, because her PCS are only going to be mid 50s.
    The scores that Laura Lepisto get are a joke. Please don't use her as an example...

Anyway, I think that she's made the right stepping stone this season--and that was making the GPF and medalling at both her GP events. What she'll have to do is skate more consistent SP (that's always seemed to be her nemesis) and make a couple of World teams and do well there to increase her PCS.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    The scores that Laura Lepisto get are a joke. Please don't use her as an example...

Anyway, I think that she's made the right stepping stone this season--and that was making the GPF and medalling at both her GP events. What she'll have to do is skate more consistent SP (that's always seemed to be her nemesis) and make a couple of World teams and do well there to increase her PCS.
    Her PCS must be so high for a reason, she's the reigning world bronze medalist, so I don't think she's a joke, at this point Ashley could only dream of being the world bronze medalist....

But anyways, back to Mirai, she put herself on the map this season so all she has to do is maintain that level and she should continue to get high scores. Improvement would be great but more importantly she has to make sure she doesn't regress in terms of consistency and URs - basically she can't afford to start skating all her programs like she did in her worlds FS.

vCash
    Laura's PCS are so high because she has excellent speed and skating skills, decent musicality and difficult choreography and transitions. It's not a "joke".
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Laura's PCS are so high because she has excellent speed and skating skills, decent musicality and difficult choreography and transitions. It's not a "joke".
    It would have been better if she completed more jumps at Worlds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    It would have been better if she completed more jumps at Worlds.
    It's not her fault Worlds was a splatfest and that the queen of figure skating who won the FS completely botched two jumping passes during it, and the winner after the SP had a mini-meltdown in the FS, and that one of the few skaters who skated well in the FS was too far behind after skating a craptacular SP to manage to medal....

vCash
    You can't fault Lepisto for working within a system and being rewarded. Although, the issue I have is not PCS related, but that she is not penalized more heavily for her obviously intended triples becoming doubles. Perhaps that is what Smarts1 was originally referring to?

vCash
    I agree. I think if a skater goes out clearly planning to do jumps as triples, is practicing so, has done so all year, and then are doubling out all these jumps they should receive -GOE on them.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I agree. I think if a skater goes out clearly planning to do jumps as triples, is practicing so, has done so all year, and then are doubling out all these jumps they should receive -GOE on them.
    COP is a judging system where Mao Asada and Yu-Na Kim can skate right through a planned triple, never leaving the ice, and receive no penalties, like at the '07 GPF SP and at the '09 TEB LP. That's a problem too!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    COP is a judging system where Mao Asada and Yu-Na Kim can skate right through a planned triple, never leaving the ice, and receive no penalties, like at the '07 GPF SP and at the '09 TEB LP. That's a problem too!
    You can't compare one error from Yu-na with a program that still included 5 triples including a difficult 3lutz/3toe and a double axel/3toe to Lepisto landing attemping 3 triples even if one was a 3toe/3toe. I do think missing an element in the short should be more penalized though.

For me Lepisto getting rewarded for that kind of technical difficulty bothers me. And Judy the issue is Laura landed the same amount of triples she normally averages. I get that Laura has great choregraphy, skating skills and transitions but clearly the system doesn't reward jumps enough if she can get away with that kind of jumping content. Maybe they need to have a technical difficulty mark in PCS because I truly feel that that numbers don't really factor in jumps well. And I really think the system needs a place where the entire technical whole of a program can be evaluated.

I thought Yu-na's PCs were to high at Skate America and at worlds and I'd love to see a system that penalizes error ridden programs in both marks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I recall that during the 2010 US pairs comp., I/B lost a spot to Vancouver and they got neg. GOE when he obviously doubled the SBS 3toe, but it was otherwise clean. That doesn't seem to happen to Lepisto. Maybe it's a 'favorability' thing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    I recall that during the 2010 US pairs comp., I/B lost a spot to Vancouver and they got neg. GOE when he obviously doubled the SBS 3toe, but it was otherwise clean. That doesn't seem to happen to Lepisto. Maybe it's a 'favorability' thing.
    If one partner does a triple toe and another does a double toe there's a major unison issue and it should get negative GOE. Its not comparable to Lepisto's situation.

vCash
    I think that she has the potential to challenge for the top level.
    Staying inljury free is key, as others have said.

Mastering competition nerves is something that comes with experience.
    Time will give her that.

What she does have, which most of the "challengers" lack, is the magical "it" factor; and Frank Carroll's expertise - two great advantages.
    I believe that they will serve he well in seasons to come.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    If one partner does a triple toe and another does a double toe there's a major unison issue and it should get negative GOE. Its not comparable to Lepisto's situation.
    Thanks. didn't think of that

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    You can't fault Lepisto for working within a system and being rewarded. Although, the issue I have is not PCS related, but that she is not penalized more heavily for her obviously intended triples becoming doubles. Perhaps that is what Smarts1 was originally referring to?
    Yes, that's what I meant. I mean like half the board goes crazy whenever Carolina scores 56+ for PCS for every LP meltdown she has, so why shouldn't we complain about Laura Lepisto's 60+ PCS she got at Worlds for a craptastic program? Even more I hate Laura's wind-milly arms--just look at her ugly LP step sequence, the arms are just flying everywhere and does nothing much for the choreography; it's just a blatant distraction.

One thing I have hated about this system is that it just doesn't reward difficult content enough. I mean there is ONLY a two point difference between a triple toe and a triple lutz. How many ladies can do a triple lutz when everyone else in the field can do a triple toe? I was kind of disappointed that the lutz and the flip (in fact giving this jump LESS points? ) weren't given extra points during the ISU congress this year as many skaters can't do them and as shown by Laura Lepisto, it really isn't worth it to do that kind of difficulty.

I mean to think someone doing a triple toe-triple toe and a triple loop (ie Laura Lepisto) in the short program has a HIGHER base value when compared to someone doing a triple lutz-double toe and a triple flip is very sad and ridiculous.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    I mean to think someone doing a triple toe-triple toe and a triple loop (ie Laura Lepisto) in the short program has a HIGHER base value when compared to someone doing a triple lutz-double toe and a triple flip is very sad and ridiculous.
    ITA. Laura is a lovely skater with a great posture, skating skills, choreography, etc. But I don't think it's right that girls with full set of triples and FS with 5-6 clean triples finish behind her when she lands only 2-3 triples in the FS. And now, when the base value of doubles is higher, she doesn't even have to try triple lutzes, she can land only 2-3 triples (toeloops or salchow) and then do doubles and still win a medal. It's sad

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast