Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    vCash
    In the russian article you quoted plushenko is talking about difference in marks for the same kind of transitions leading to quad in sp, which is none. In any case Brian's name was mentioned since he is one of the few with quad in sp. Since Joubert toured with KOI i m pretty sure they have discussed the Inman letter and Plushenko's quote with Evgeni himself while paying football. Maybe he has asked Joub also about some of his comments last season. Since you said that judges talk off ice, athletes talk as well, it is tiring to try and stir up controversy from everywhere.

vCash

vCash
    Ok, I finally managed to read the interview - and I really enjoyed it.

I love it; it’s my favourite program, but I’m very disappointed because I could never give this program 100 %.
    I so agree with him on this one. No matter what bad things people may say about this program, it had a huge potential and could've been a masterpiece if he had ever managed to give it 100% from beginning to end. It still lacked a lot at worlds, cause I think he was mainly focused on the jumps and was very determined to do those two quads, but the program itself was very enjoyable, only he never managed to show its full potential.

Everybody did quads in the short program. The competition was more interesting. Maybe it was too focused on the jumps and not on the transitions – no problem, we can improve—but I think it’s boring to only see a triple-triple in the short program.
    good points here as well. When I see a bunch of 3-3 shorts, it is really difficult for me to say which program was better in the area of jumps. And it does get boring. It still disappoints me when I see a pretty solid quad jumper who doesn't even try a quad in the short.

And as you can see through this article - Brian does know the quad isn't everything. He works hard on his choreography, he's aware of the importance of transitions. But after giving a huge part of his career on learning and improving his quads, I really can't blame him for not wanting to watch Evan. I mean, I'm not saying Plushenko deserved to win, cause his program was a disaster, but I do understand why Brian is disappointed to see an Olympic champion without a quad, without even trying one. I'm disappointed too - not saying it's Evan's fault, it's more the system.

Oh, I love that when talking about elite skaters, he named Takahashi. Yes, Brian, good guy to compare yourself with, well done

About the whole discussion here - I don't really think people in this thread even try to get the other side's points. Nobody has ever said quad was everything. Comparing 3-3 and 4-2 on the example of ladies I didn't want to compare ladies and men in general (refering to the biellman comment). I only wanted to show that if ladies can do 3-3 and can't 4-2 there has to be sth more difficult about the latter, right?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by senorita View Post
    In the russian article you quoted plushenko is talking about difference in marks for the same kind of transitions leading to quad in sp, which is none. In any case Brian's name was mentioned since he is one of the few with quad in sp.
    No, he wasn't talking about quad only, but about transitions, the mark for transitions, the fact they both don't have them at all:

It seems to me that some of the grades in Euros were set too high. Joubert got 88 points for his SP. His steps and spins don't correspond to the points he got. We have similar transitions with him. Meaning, we don't have them at all. We both just go to the jumps. We need to do jumps - our power is in them. And when they give me for transitions 8.25, and he gets 8.60... This is beyond my understanding
    (sorry I'm lame translator)

Since Joubert toured with KOI i m pretty sure they have discussed the Inman letter and Plushenko's quote with Evgeni himself while paying football. Maybe he has asked Joub also about some of his comments last season. Since you said that judges talk off ice, athletes talk as well, it is tiring to try and stir up controversy from everywhere.
    Brian wasn't touring with KOI, he took part only in two Russian shows and he was really tired then, not sure they played football or even talked a lot during those two days. Anyway, I understand this interview was taken in Turin, before KOI.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    His hissy fit after the Olympics was pathetic and juvenile. He ruined his reputation around the world. Instead of accepting the OSM with grace (as it is still a fantastic achievement) he "jokingly" stepped onto the top step of the podium and whined to the media about how he was robbed of gold. Then, he was banned from competing in ISU sanctioned competition ever again. These past few months have not exactly been Plushenko's moments in the sun.
    I'm an American and I smiled and laughed at Evgeny when he jokingly hopped from the gold medal stand to the silver medal stand and then smiled. I thought to myself, great for him!, his hard work coming back after 3 years off from competition and achieving the success he did in that journey (and how extremely difficult that must have been for him) was finally over and he was letting loose and having a little fun at his 3rd, and most likely last, Olympics. Who am I or any one of us to try and take that moment away from him? It let me know that he was okay deep down inside with the result because his place in the sport was already secure before the mens' event in Vancouver had even started. I respect the guy as an amazing athlete and I like his colorful personality, even if I'm not the biggest fan of his actual skating and his lack of what I consider to be good artistry. I grew to respect/empathize with him even more after the US media tried to paint him as a bad sportsman. What horrible coverage of the Olympics we had here in the US! IMO, he was reacting naturally and honestly with his comments about not winning a second Olympic gold. They are his opinions and he has the right to express them. I don't see where he did anything outrageously rude to warrant the amount of criticism he has received. Regardless, thanks for the memories, Evgeny, perhaps the best jumper this sport has ever seen!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reut View Post
    And Joubert was asked about the last "act" of this whole chain (agree: pity he wasn't asked about the original quote from Plushenko, interesting what he could answer to that).
    Joubert was asked about Plushenko saying this and the answer was that he didn't care about that. Here is the answer google translated:

What did you think of the recent controversy over the ratings (a U.S. judge ba launched the European champion Plushenko had found judges too generous to the artistic elements of the program Joubert, ie) ?

I did not feel that I focus on it. We all have strengths and weaknesses. This is not something that affects me personally. What Plushenko speaks about me, it flatters me more than anything else. I came here to fight and bring back the medal.
    http://www.20minutes.fr/article/3844...aille-d-or.php

vCash
    The worst of media for me was trying to present Plushenko as one trick pony and Lysacek the epitomy of athletisism and artistry. And average Olympic viewer to buy it. Same commentators 4 years back were gushing about Plushenko's talent, control of edge, ultra speed and footwork, plus presence and of course that was not the case in 2010, he had lost part of it, especially speed- alot- and clear edges, but the one trick pony like he was presented in comparisson to athletisism and artistry of Lysacek was too much, and that before the competition had even started. It was a joke mediawise. Before the sp skate, canadian commetators , Peletier, proposed to judges to mark him low in pcs, since when this is a comment before the skater has even skated? Same with newspapers that 4 years back they were gushing before after and during competition ab Plushenko.I didnt like they exagerate neither then nor now.

Brian wasn't touring with KOI, he took part only in two Russian shows and he was really tired then, not sure they played football or even talked a lot during those two days. Anyway, I understand this interview was taken in Turin, before KOI.
    nope, he was also in KOi in Paris -named as Angels on ice but it was KOI- and if you see the tone of videos from russia, they seem pretty well together off ice during practices and they played football in the breaks , links of youtube was in Koi thread.

About interview I thought he meant the set up for quad, he doesnt say quad, but since he talks about SP marks, there are not too many jumps to set up/ prepare for.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    and stay away from places that actually discuss real figure skating.
    like this thread par example?

vCash
    nope, he was also in KOi in Paris -named as Angels on ice but it was KOI- and if you see the tone of videos from russia, they seem pretty well together off ice during practices and they played football in the breaks , links of youtube was in Koi thread.
    I never claimed they were not.
    And, sorry, forgot about "Angels", didn't follow "KOI-without-Lambiel", lol

About interview I thought he meant the set up for quad, he doesnt say quad, but since he talks about SP marks, there are not too many jumps to set up/ prepare for.
    Well, we can guess what he meant, but he said: "We have similar transitions with him. Meaning, we don't have them at all". Same way I can guess that during the press conference in Bratislava he was actually relating to the same case of grades of SP only, but he didn't say that explicitly and his quote was used literally as he said.

IceIceBaby, thanks for the link!

vCash
    I never claimed they were not.
    And, sorry, forgot about "Angels", didn't follow "KOI-without-Lambiel", lol
    And thanks to the Iceland volcano, Lambiel replaced Joubert in Ukraine!

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    The worst of media for me was trying to present Plushenko as one trick pony and Lysacek the epitomy of athletisism and artistry. And average Olympic viewer to buy it. Same commentators 4 years back were gushing about Plushenko's talent, control of edge, ultra speed and footwork, plus presence and of course that was not the case in 2010, he had lost part of it, especially speed- alot- and clear edges, but the one trick pony like he was presented in comparisson to athletisism and artistry of Lysacek was too much, and that before the competition had even started. It was a joke mediawise. Before the sp skate, canadian commetators , Peletier, proposed to judges to mark him low in pcs, since when this is a comment before the skater has even skated? Same with newspapers that 4 years back they were gushing before after and during competition ab Plushenko.I didnt like they exagerate neither then nor now.
    Exactly! It's like all of a sudden Lysacek was being marketed as this great combination of athleticism and artistry, like Yagudin, Lambiel, or Takahashi, which I find beyond absurd and laughable, particularly when this impression of him had never been made by the media before. All along, I've found Lysacek's sense of artistry to be on par with that of Plushenko and Joubert. Yes, he does way more transitions than them and has gotten higher levels on spins and footwork in this past year, but I don't see anything excellent in Evan's sense of musical interpretation, choreography, or awareness of positions, flow, and line. An artist he is not IMO.

vCash
    The definition of "Transitions" is a secondary issue to the CORRIDOR.

It's the need to remain in the corridor that causes a judge to give empty programs high marks for transitions.

As for Brian, I think he talks so much about the judging and scoring system to distract himself from his own shortcomings and his own responsibility for his placements. I'm not saying he's more flawed than his competitors. I just think this is his approach to handling it, and it's not helping him.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    have you read the interview?
    Because reading his comment, it is clear that not

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    As for Brian, I think he talks so much about the judging and scoring system to distract himself from his own shortcomings and his own responsibility for his placements.
    That's because the journalists always ask about him his opinions of quads and the scoring system. Every time.
    If you had read the interview you would have noticed that he also took a lot of responsibility of what happened last season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Exactly! It's like all of a sudden Lysacek was being marketed as this great combination of athleticism and artistry, like Yagudin, Lambiel, or Takahashi, which I find beyond absurd and laughable, particularly when this impression of him had never been made by the media before. All along, I've found Lysacek's sense of artistry to be on par with that of Plushenko and Joubert. Yes, he does way more transitions than them and has gotten higher levels on spins and footwork in this past year, but I don't see anything excellent in Evan's sense of musical interpretation, choreography, or awareness of positions, flow, and line. An artist he is not IMO.
    That´s subjective because in my opinion Yagudin wasn´t an "artist" either, so we can´t blame those who believe that Lysacek is a "combination of athleticism and artistry". Not a great one, of course, that's exaggerated, but last season he had two balanced programs, with pretty good jumps and nice choreography.

Quadless
    vCash
    I see this thread has quickly devolved into the usual about Plushenko. Poor Joubert, can't even get props for his own interview (which (I enjoyed).

Carry on.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceIceBaby View Post
    Joubert was asked about Plushenko saying this and the answer was that he didn't care about that.

http://www.20minutes.fr/article/3844...aille-d-or.php
    I read this interview, thanks again for the link.
    It looks like a standard "I'm OK and prepared" interview everybody has before the competition, not sure it is sincere though. There are some contradictions there to what he said in the interview we are discussing.

For example, he says he doesn't feel the stress at all ("C’est bizarre parce que je ne me sens pas du tout aux JO. Je ne ressens pas le stress de 2006") while in this interview he said: "In Torino I wasn’t nervous, but in Vancouver I was. I didn’t control myself and when I came out on the ice, I couldn’t feel my legs. I was shaky; it was horrible."

Or he said that he felt ready ("Je me sens prêt." etc) while in this interveiw he confessed he wasn't: "It’s strange because during practice, technically I was not bad, but I wasn’t 100 %. Two days before I had to leave for Vancouver, I told my mum, “I don’t want to go, I’m not ready for this competition.”"

And he actually was asked exactly the same question, he wasn't asked about only Plushenko's words, but about the whole "e-mail scandal" ("Qu’avez-vous pensé des récentes polémiques sur les notations") and his answer differs from the one he gave in the interview.

Though I agree, they seem in good terms with Plushenko and probably he anyway won't say what he really thinks about this.

vCash
    Well yes he probably doesnt say what he thinks cause every normal person would have thought that Í will take off his blonde mullet hair by hair for mentioning my name in the no transitions quote, so i m pretty sure he just dont say what he thinks of it, but nobody would and at this point it is useless anyway.
    It is an interview of Brian I really enjoyed and i liked it had so many questions instead of the usual few declarations from skaters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    I see this thread has quickly devolved into the usual about Plushenko. Poor Joubert, can't even get props for his own interview (which (I enjoyed).

Carry on.
    It´s sad!!

I wonder if it is possible to prohibit to speak about certain topics in certain threads...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post

Carry on.
    That´s true! All the FS forums became a sort of Plushenko´s official forums.

vCash
    I read this interview, thanks again for the link.
    It looks like a standard "I'm OK and prepared" interview everybody has before the competition, not sure it is sincere though. There are some contradictions there to what he said in the interview we are discussing.

For example, he says he doesn't feel the stress at all ("C’est bizarre parce que je ne me sens pas du tout aux JO. Je ne ressens pas le stress de 2006") while in this interview he said: "In Torino I wasn’t nervous, but in Vancouver I was. I didn’t control myself and when I came out on the ice, I couldn’t feel my legs. I was shaky; it was horrible."

Or he said that he felt ready ("Je me sens prêt." etc) while in this interveiw he confessed he wasn't: "It’s strange because during practice, technically I was not bad, but I wasn’t 100 %. Two days before I had to leave for Vancouver, I told my mum, “I don’t want to go, I’m not ready for this competition.”"
    I don't think that he would ever told the press before the Olys that he is not feeling ready and is nervous. But it's nice that he is telling it now afterwards sincerely.

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast