Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    The skaters have to improve, but the judging system has to improve, too

I agree with Joubert´s words: The skaters have to improve, and would say that along with CoP they have actually improved on many areas. And I´m sure the skaters continue to improve. About the judging system, yes, it has to improve, too. The judges should give scores for what the skaters are actually doing in that particular competition, and not based on reputation. Joubert himself has gotten way too high PCS scores in all events (just refering to e.g. that Joubert had higher PCS than Buttle in 2008 Worlds, LOL).

Inman should continue his campaign about PCS scores, nothing wrong there if somebody wants the judges to judge PCS (e.g. transitions) correctly and not based on reputation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    Wow, you are pretty amazing. All I can say is that I'm glad we have people like coaches, choreographers, skaters and some judges in the sport that know the figure skating more than you do, and don't need to be told that doing cross-overs and 3 turns are not really considered "transitions".

I seriously have no idea what you are trying to get at. Did you miss the point that even Plushenko himself knows and admits that he doesn't have transitions? Why are you trying to defend him against that?? Are you trying to tell us that a skater of Plushenko's level doesn't do transitions because they truly don't know what transitions are, since the criteria don't spell it out clearly enough for them, and therefore they should not be criticized or marked low. Like, seriously?
    The main point was that the JUDGES were giving Plushenko sevens for transitions. They are aware of the very vague criteria for judging transitions. When Plushenko said he did no transitions well judges based on the criteria can say almost anything done with the arms, head, legs anything can be a transition. I just think Plushenko was talking about blade edge transitions. And transitions are not just things before a jump anyway! Transitions are any moves done between any elements! The definition of a transition has narrowed down to who does a spread eagle or iina bauer before a jump! Nowhere anywhere in the defnition of transitions does it say anything like that at all! Like why am I watching skating? To see ina bauers before a jump? I DON"T THINK SO!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by igniculus View Post
    Congrats to the interview, Titi! Good one!

I still think he want batshit crazy there. His scores for Weir were not justified. Weir sure had much less transitions than other top skaters, but still not some that would be only woth 3-4s. That was insane.

Have to agree there. If someone with Lepisto's jump content wins a world medal, something is just not right in this world.

The jump content that won her a world medal was for me sad. I wouldn't have had a problem if she had won a world medal with her Olympic free skate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gil-Galad View Post
    This must be the millionth discussion after the same old pattern:

Someone (from the Quad Bloc) says they like to see a Quad and prefer having winners with a Quad.

The Transition Quad enters the discussion, saying that transitions, choreo yadayada are more important overall (wahhhh - COP-friendly - wahhhh)

The Quad Bloc says they still like the Quad and the Quad makes it more difficult to have complicated transitions etc. (wahhh Quad needs to be worth more wahhh)

The Transition Quad accuses the Quad Bloc of being satisfied with a skater coming out on the ice and just doing a Quad-stroke-Triple etc. And of course everyone who is a member of the Quad Bloc is automatically a Plushybot.

Then the Quad Bloc accuses the Transition Bloc of being even satisfied with a skater just doing doubles, if there is enough yadayadayada. Oh, sometimes it also cites the argument that single's skating is looking like single ice dance these days.

---------------------------
    But you know what: The Transition Bloc won!!! Evan-freaking-Lysacek is the freaking Olympic Champ! Patrick Chan can win competitions and medals with junior/ladies jump content. Why do you keep arguing about something that has already been decided in your favour? Since you won the whole thing, how about pitying the Quad Bloc or at least ignoring it?

As a member of the Quad Bloc - we are like relicts from an ancient time! We are like these old grandmas, reminiscing about the good old times. And we just enjoy to mope and to complain about the current quadless skates. Once in a while other relicts throw us a bone - like Joubert in this interview - and we just enjoy it, and of course start moping. Can you people just let us mope without rubbing in our faces that in fact the dispute is already over and that we were / are wrong about everything?

Gil-Galad, you are such a humorous poster here that I almost lose my tongue in response!

vCash
    Wow, one interview and now the discussions are on page 5 already lol

And thanks Titi for doing that interview, imo it's a good one!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    The definition of a transition has narrowed down to who does a spread eagle or iina bauer before a jump! Nowhere anywhere in the defnition of transitions does it say anything like that at all!
    Only by you. I don't think anyone has interpreted transition that way.

Like why am I watching skating?
    Good question. You should rewatch Top Jump and old Plushenko or Stojko performances and stay away from places that actually discuss real figure skating.

vCash
    The most incredible thing of everything for me, it´s the fact that a really interesting and nice interview with 27 questions, is reduced to the quad and to Plushenko.
    Have not we talked about it enough already?

I like Brian's sincerity on having admitted that he thought of leaving the skating after the Olympiads, and that the OG are not his competition.
    And I am glad that he wants to be coach, it will be funny to see him in the K&C.

vCash
    Didn't plushenko's complaint help change the cop in a direction that if the new COP was in place that would have given Plushenko the gold medal?

so ISU indirectly agreed with Plushenko...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Domshabfan View Post
    Didn't plushenko's complaint help change the cop in a direction that if the new COP was in place that would have given Plushenko the gold medal?

We don´t know that. Plushenko lost because of his poor performance, it´s not like he was clean but he lost because of the system.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Domshabfan View Post

Great point!

In the middle of a hair war with Alena Leonova.
    vCash
    Actually, I thought that Brian's actual words are the best explanation for why he feels the quad is difficult and valuable - the strongest argument I've heard so far. I also feel that he was extremely thoughtful and fair - yeah, he talked about why he works so hard on the quad, but he said that skaters who have a different focused must also be respected in the same way, and he also brought up a ton of his weaknesses. I thought the interview was great, and in comparison to some of the comments in this thread (including ones that put words in his mouth), Brian sees and understands both sides of the supposed argument - so much that I don't even think it's really an argument with him.

It's the best I've ever heard from him, and I'm glad I was able to read it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciocio View Post
    Joubert understood perfectly the purpose of that mail: to create a conflict between him and Plushenko and to make fun of Plushenko. But Joubert is not stupid, he knew that certain persons were trying to attack Plushenko no matter how and he didn´t fall into the trap. Next time Mr. Inman should try something smarter!
    The conflict was caused when Plushenko brought up Joubert's name, NOT Inman. Go blame Plushenko for name-dropping, and go blame Absolute Skating for publishing the article. Not being mean, but seriously... look where the source was.

And yeah, I'm sure that people quote others just for the purpose of "making fun" of them.

No one would be discussing any of this if Plushenko wouldn't have said what he said in the first place. How is that so hard to understand?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wheeler View Post
    The conflict was caused when Plushenko brought up Joubert's name, NOT Inman. Go blame Plushenko for name-dropping, and go blame Absolute Skating for publishing the article. Not being mean, but seriously... look where the source was.
    Plushenko's words about them both not having transitions were quoted by many different sources, I saw a few in Russian for example, so definitely AS wasn't THE source for this. At least I know this quote of Plushenko's not from AS. And anyway I don't see any reason to blame AS for quoting someone's words said to press. (The article with this quote is this one and it's not an interview but things which were said during the press conference in Bratislava)

And to some previous quote of yours:

The interviewer seems to have told or suggested to Joubert that Inman basically came out of nowhere talking trash about Plushenko and Joubert, when in reality Inman was using her own article as an example!
    I don't see this from the interview (and I'm not sure Inman was using an article from AS as an example by the way, do you have some proof?). What I see is: Plushenko said something, it was quoted by many sources. Inman read this quote somewhere and started “e-mail scandal” before the Olympics (he did this himself, didn't he? Although of course I agree with the fact that no one would be discussing any of this if Plushenko wouldn't have said what he said in the first place). And the interviewer asks Joubert's opinion about that specific action Inman did: used the quote and sent the e-mails.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reut View Post
    Plushenko's words about them both not having transitions were quoted by many different sources, I saw a few in Russian for example, so definitely AS wasn't THE source for this. At least I know this quote of Plushenko's not from AS.
    Just checked it briefly, I remembered it right, first Evgeny talked about him and Brian not having transitions during Europeans, this is one of the sources in Russian:
    http://www.sports.ru/others/figure-s.../66623733.html
    I'm almost sure the site http://www.allsportinfo.ru/ which is quoted there as the source didn't have personal interview with Plushenko and those words were said in the mixed-zone.

vCash

And yeah, I'm sure that people quote others just for the purpose of "making fun" of them.

No one would be discussing any of this if Plushenko wouldn't have said what he said in the first place. How is that so hard to understand?
    Did Joubert or the French press complain because Plushenko dropped Brian´s name? I am asking you because I really don´t know, maybe they did and I am not aware of it. All I know is that the French press complained about Inman´s email. It´s not me who has to blame Plushenko it´s Brian but it seems that he is angry with Inman and not with Plushenko.

What many people don´t understand is WHY did Inman quote Plushenko and send the mail to the judges. That´s his job, to quote Plushenko, to spread his words throughout the world?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reut View Post
    Plushenko's words about them both not having transitions were quoted by many different sources, I saw a few in Russian for example, so definitely AS wasn't THE source for this.
    I think that AS got the short end of the stick, then, as when you do a search about Inman sending the e-mail, there's a few (major) articles that link directly to the article there. I've also seen the original e-mail (and I believe it's been screen-shot onto the internet for everyone else to see, as well), and the exact quote that Inman copies is the following:

'in Tallinn, Brian Joubert got more points for his transitions than me, although we did exactly the same transitions on the ice. In fact, we don’t have any transitions because we focus on our jumps.'

I know that the original AS article was transcribed from his Bratislava interview, but that's the exact same wording as used on the site. Plushenko's press conference wasn't originally in English, was it?

When I said blame Absolute Skating for publishing the comment, I didn't mean go hating on them. I just don't get why some fans are blaming Inman and, like I said, not coming up with any reasonable examples of transitions that those two actually have. Someone wanted to stir up the pot that was on the forward list, even though Inman said nothing that hadn't already been said (again by Plushenko himself).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciocio View Post
    What many people don´t understand is WHY did Inman quote Plushenko and send the mail to the judges. That´s his job, to quote Plushenko, to spread his words throughout the world?
    Judges talk all the time outside the rink. There's nothing that prohibits that. Someone on Inman's e-mail list obviously didn't agree with his copied and pasted quote and hence why it ended up, IIRC, in L'Equipe first.

And for what it is worth, Inman says the exact following in the e-mail:

"I find this an interesting observation of his own skating and the judges' marking of his transitions. When he says 'we don't have any transitions' what does that translate into a mark?"

And as far as the French press or Joubert complaining because Plushenko dropped Brian's name... Brian didn't complain, but I think the only reason that the whole thing got published in L'Equipe to begin with was because of Joubert's name being mentioned. Why would the French care about what anyone had to say about Plushenko alone? I bet Gailhaguet would have loved that.
    Last edited by Tony Wheeler; 07-28-2010 at 01:18 PM.

vCash
    Judges talk all the time outside the rink. There's nothing that prohibits that. Someone on Inman's e-mail list obviously didn't agree with his copied and pasted quote and hence why it ended up, IIRC, in L'Equipe first.

And for what it is worth, Inman says the exact following in the e-mail:

"I find this an interesting observation of his own skating and the judges' marking of his transitions. When he says 'we don't have any transitions' what does that translate into a mark?"
    Then Mr. Inman had bad luck. The good part is that he became famous!

vCash
    I know that the original AS article was transcribed from his Bratislava interview, but that's the exact same wording as used on the site. Plushenko's press conference wasn't originally in English, was it?
    In Bratislava? I think it was.

When I said blame Absolute Skating for publishing the comment, I didn't mean go hating on them. I just don't get why some fans are blaming Inman and, like I said, not coming up with any reasonable examples of transitions that those two actually have. Someone wanted to stir up the pot that was on the forward list, even though Inman said nothing that hadn't already been said (again by Plushenko himself).
    Actually I don't think someone needs go hating on Inman either. But there is still a distance between the quote from press conference and sending e-mails to judges, don't you think? And Joubert was asked about the last "act" of this whole chain (agree: pity he wasn't asked about the original quote from Plushenko, interesting what he could answer to that).

Roses are red, violets are blue, this poem is dumb and so are you.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    It still makes me that judges need Joe Inman or Plushenko or anybody else to tell them something that is very clearly visible to everyone.
    SO TRUE! Agh, it's infuriating and frustrating from my perspective as a viewer, so I can't even begin to imagine what it must be like for a coach and a deserving, but unrewarded skater.

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast