Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kindle or Nook?

vCash
    I have a Kindle, and it is my precccciousssss. I think probably no matter which one you pick, you grow to love it. It gives you BOOKS. What could be better?

Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    I like traditional books with pages that I can turn. I hope they don't become obsolete someday...
    I still like traditional books with pages I can turn too. If I really like a book, I'll buy the physical copy.

But like any convert, I *have* to proslityze to the non-believers. NOTHING gets me going like someone who doesn't want an ereader:
    • You don't have to leave your house to get a book
    • It's easier to travel with an eReader than bringing a bunch of books along
    • It saves space in your house
    • If you read the first in a series, you can get the next one instantly
    • Can't sleep at 3am and you REALLY want a book--you can get one!
    • Embarrassed about your books that feature naked pirates or talking cats? No one has to know you read them!

Wyliefan, I'm a substitute teacher and I've had the same experience. Even boys that don't read are fascinated by a Kindle! They can download their SCHOOL BOOKS ON IT. Because you know if you read it on a computer screen, the book is so much better.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    I have to say that since getting the kindle, I have been introduced to many authors whose books I wouldn't look at in the book store.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by modern_muslimah View Post
    I kinda want to get a Nook color because it functions in a lot of ways like a tablet but I know my eyes will get strained looking at a LCD screen after a while. I would primarily use an e-reader to read but I'm sure it's nice to have all those other features too.
    The screen doesn't bother me at all. The first thing I did when I got my Nook Color was turn down the backlighting. I know it bothers some people, but I can read for hours without any trouble at all.

I also like the tablet feature because the Nook is so small, relatively. I can throw it in my purse and haul it around and use it anywhere. You can't do that with a laptop or even an iPad.

Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    Embarrassed about your books that feature naked pirates or talking cats? No one has to know you read them!
    LOL! I read that when libraries went to self-check, the number of romance novels being checked out soared. And I just read a couple of weeks ago that the same thing has happened with e-readers--e-romance novel sales are booming.

Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    I have to say that since getting the kindle, I have been introduced to many authors whose books I wouldn't look at in the book store.
    Yes, one of the things I have really liked about my Nook is this:

I read a book.
    I log on to B&N.
    B&N says "This is recommended just for you."
    I eye recommendation suspiciously, read the blurb, purse lips, eye picture of book cover suspiciously again.
    I download a sample (one of the BEST things about having an e-reader)
    I buy book.

The Nook KNOWS what I like. .
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Official FSU Alte Kacher
    vCash
    I have a Kindle, and Mrs.Reuven has an Literati. I prefer the E-Ink, it looks more like paper. But the one thing we both like is the ability to get a bunch of classics we like for free!
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”– MLK

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    I got the Kindle application (free) on my laptop from Amazon.com when I started purchasing e-books from there. I love it because I usually take my laptop wherever I go.

I also find free e-books from Project Gutenberg. The e-books can be downloaded to my laptop in PDF format or for Kindle. The e-books can also be downloaded to read on iPad, Sony Reader, Android, etc.

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    Aluratek Pro is what I ordered and only $99.00

one of the staff at work got it for Christmas and she absolutely loves it especially because she has issues with screen glare that I know sony users have complained about (she is an avid reader) the type of screen for the aluratek is really helping her. The reviews are pretty good as well.. especially considering its half the price of the sony

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...cef631e902en02
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Simone411 View Post
    I got the Kindle application (free) on my laptop from Amazon.com when I started purchasing e-books from there. I love it because I usually take my laptop wherever I go.

I also find free e-books from Project Gutenberg. The e-books can be downloaded to my laptop in PDF format or for Kindle. The e-books can also be downloaded to read on iPad, Sony Reader, Android, etc.

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page
    If you like freebies (and who doesn't), you might want to sign up with Drippler: http://drippler.com/what_is_drippler/

You can get updates on their site, or you can link your gadget to a facebook page--I get updates from their Nook page in my feed.

Then you get links like this: http://drippler.com/barnes_and_noble...facebook-pages

You have to grab those books when you see them, though; a lot of the books listed there as free from B&N already aren't.

There are a lot of other sites where you can get free books, but the best ones (IMO) are listed here: http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/20-best...-free-e-books/

Just be aware that a lot of free books are worth the price you pay for them . That's why I think there will always be bookstores in some form; someone has to help us all sort all this text.

Oh, and the NYT will be publishing an e-book bestseller list starting on February 13, which should be a good source for new titles, too .
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Thanks a bunch for the links, Prancer! Yes, I definitely love freebies!
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Simone411 View Post
    Thanks a bunch for the links, Prancer! Yes, I definitely love freebies!
    A couple of more, then . This is a really good forum for anyone with an e-reader: http://www.mobileread.com/

They have a library of free books, plus there are specific forums for a lot of the e-readers on the market. They can help with technical questions, guide you through just about any (legal) process, and refer you to e-book sites.

Barnes and Noble owns this site, but I believe it's open format: http://www.fictionwise.com/

I have some good Nook-specific links, too, if anyone wants those.

vCash
    This has been a great thread. I haven't bought a dedicated e-reader yet, but have the Kindle application on my laptop. I have been toying with the idea of buying the Nook, but haven't taken the plunge yet. I love the look and feel of a real book and know that I will still purchase a fair number of hard copies. But I see myself buying an e-reader for travel if nothing else - especially long trips where I would want to take a lot of reading material with me. And I'm hoping the library e-book option becomes more widespread and has more options sooner rather than later.

ETA: The Drippler link - love it, thanks Prancer!
    Last edited by NancyNC; 02-06-2011 at 07:42 PM.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyNC View Post
    I have been toying with the idea of buying the Nook, but haven't taken the plunge yet.
    B&N is supposed to be coming out with a new version of the Nook very soon, so holding off to see what kind of updates they will offer is probably a good idea, anyway.

Everyone has been calling the last version of the Nook the Nook 2 on all the websites I frequent, but apparently it is the Nook 1.1 and the NEW Nook will be the Nook 2 .

Another reason to hold off is that the Nook 3G didn't sell well, so B&N pulled them off the market for an inventory check and may stop manufacturing them. That may mean clearance prices coming along soon. Of course, that might also mean limited support, but still--you may get a really good deal out of it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post

Barnes and Noble owns this site, but I believe it's open format: http://www.fictionwise.com/

I have some good Nook-specific links, too, if anyone wants those.
    I would love that link to pass along to my daughter.
    Have you hugged your kids and told them you love them today?

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by redonthehead View Post
    I would love that link to pass along to my daughter.
    This is the official B&N Nook forum: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/...sion/bd-p/Nook

The nice thing about it is that B&N people monitor the forum and are available to answer questions. The bad thing about it is that B&N people monitor the forum, which means that you can't stray from the path of rightness, truth and B&N.

This forum looks cheesy: http://www.nookboards.com/forum/index.php but I like it because Rachel, the moderator, is very good about sorting through things like free book links and deleting the ones that are no longer free. People also discuss non-B&N things there, like where to get accessories. There are some really nice covers and holders out there that aren't B&N products, for example.

The Nook forums on Mobile Reads (linked above) are really good, too--the mods are very knowledgable.

This Nook Club Facebook page is kind of meh, but people do post good links there: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...54334597952503

If your daughter reads a lot, she might also want to register with one of the Nook lending pages. All of the above links have those, and link to others as well. I haven't tried it, although I have loaned books to a couple of Facebook Friends with the Facebook app.

vCash
    Thanks Prancer. I will pass those on to her. She reads a lot so I'll get her to register at the lending pages.
    Have you hugged your kids and told them you love them today?

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    B&N is supposed to be coming out with a new version of the Nook very soon, so holding off to see what kind of updates they will offer is probably a good idea, anyway.

Everyone has been calling the last version of the Nook the Nook 2 on all the websites I frequent, but apparently it is the Nook 1.1 and the NEW Nook will be the Nook 2 .

Another reason to hold off is that the Nook 3G didn't sell well, so B&N pulled them off the market for an inventory check and may stop manufacturing them. That may mean clearance prices coming along soon. Of course, that might also mean limited support, but still--you may get a really good deal out of it.
    I think you're right about B&N coming out with a new version of Nook. My publisher recently contacted me about my book being available in the future for Nook but B&N had delayed it until Nook was upgraded.
    Angie

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by redonthehead View Post
    Thanks Prancer. I will pass those on to her. She reads a lot so I'll get her to register at the lending pages.
    This just turned up in my Twitter feed:

Lending pages for Kindle and Nook

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    I've was searching at Project Glutenberg and found Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austin. In the past, I've always downloaded e-books in pdf format from there. I had never tried to download e-books before for my "Kindle for PC" on my laptop.

So, it will work for anyone that has the kindle application on their laptop or PC. I clicked on "Kindle (with images) and saved it to "My Kindle Content" in my Documents folder. It worked really well and I was able to open the book up in the Kindle For PC application.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/21839
    Angie

vCash
    The Nook Color isn't the new version. I heard they just gonna update the Android system and add Android App Market. That's it.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by topaz View Post
    The Nook Color isn't the new version. I heard they just gonna update the Android system and add Android App Market. That's it.
    The Nook Color isn't being updated; the original Nook is coming out in a new version.

vCash
    Wow. I work at Barnes and didn't hear about that one. But then the retail employees are usually the last to know about these sorts of things. I wonder if the new original B&W Nook will compete with Kindle's prices (by competing I mean being $10 cheaper) or if they'll stay the same price but offer even more functionality.

I do know that the App store for the Nook Color is supposed to come out in March.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast