Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Kindle or Nook?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    The screen doesn't bother me at all. The first thing I did when I got my Nook Color was turn down the backlighting. I know it bothers some people, but I can read for hours without any trouble at all.
    That's good to know. That's my main concern with the Nook Color. My mother thinks I should get the Nook Color instead of the original Nook. I'm still trying to decide.

LOL! I read that when libraries went to self-check, the number of romance novels being checked out soared.
    The self checkout has definitely encouraged me to check out books that I would before.

B&N is supposed to be coming out with a new version of the Nook very soon, so holding off to see what kind of updates they will offer is probably a good idea, anyway.

Everyone has been calling the last version of the Nook the Nook 2 on all the websites I frequent, but apparently it is the Nook 1.1 and the NEW Nook will be the Nook 2 .

Another reason to hold off is that the Nook 3G didn't sell well, so B&N pulled them off the market for an inventory check and may stop manufacturing them. That may mean clearance prices coming along soon. Of course, that might also mean limited support, but still--you may get a really good deal out of it.
    That's good to know. I was going to use part of my income tax refund to pay for it. If B&N is coming out with a new version I may as well hold off to see what changes in prices occur. I was thinking about the 3G version because I don't have wi-fi at home. It would be nice to get a new 3G model for less than $199 (I know that there are refurbished 3G models available for less but I don't want to take the risk of getting a defective model).
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    Well I'm buying my Nook Color in a few days and I can't wait. I know its not a true tablet like Ipad or Samsung Galaxy but I should be able to do some web surfing with it. Which is really what I want from the Ipad.

I know the Nook Color is a E-reader first and a web browsing tablet hybrid second.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Wow. I work at Barnes and didn't hear about that one.
    ETA: Argh! Apparently I read the wrong thing; it's not a new Nook, but a new upgrade that is supposed to follow the 1.1.0.

Apologies, all

I do know that the App store for the Nook Color is supposed to come out in March.
    Wheeeeee!

Quote Originally Posted by modern_muslimah View Post
    That's good to know. That's my main concern with the Nook Color. My mother thinks I should get the Nook Color instead of the original Nook. I'm still trying to decide.
    You can always try it and exchange it if you don't like it. E-ink is great stuff; I'm just a little kid, and I like all the bright colors and things that go ZING!

That's good to know. I was going to use part of my income tax refund to pay for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by topaz View Post
    Well I'm buying my Nook Color in a few days and I can't wait.
    Both of you might be interested in THIS then: http://drippler.com/gadget-updates/read-update/?post[73]=345

I know the Nook Color is a E-reader first and a web browsing tablet hybrid second.
    LOOK AWAY, VIETgrlTerifa!

You can always root it and have a small Android tablet. There are instructions everywhere; it's just that if you mess it up, you void your warranty. People swear it's child's play and no one can mess it up, but I've heard that one before.

I use my Nook Color for web browsing when I'm out and about, and it's very convenient. But while it's fantastic in the store and useful for times when I'm just out somewhere and want to look at the internet for some reason, I don't like it much for general web browsing and suggest you try before you buy if that's something you are looking for.

I have big fingers. And I hit the wrong links all the time, even when I enlarge the display. I can always end up where I want to be, but it's annoying. A lot of people don't like the touchscreen keypad, which I actually like quite a bit, as it's just like my phone's, only bigger and therefore easier for my man hands to handle. I don't have any trouble typing things in, just hitting the correct link when there are several in a cluster. Isolated links are no trouble. Sometimes links at the far edge of the screen have to be tapped a few times before they respond.

But still, I really like having it; it's so much more convenient than a laptop and it's so much easier to read and use than my cell phone when I'm out and about. And the response time has been great no matter where I've gone--it just zips right along.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Oh, I have. I got an iPad for days when I have to be away from my computer, and every time I bring it to the office, the men go into spasms of excitement. "Look, there she is with her iPad!!!" I'm starting to feel like nothing more than a walking electronic device. Me, I mostly see gadgets as a necessary evil!
    My husband loves his iPad. I was skyping with him and told him that I wanted a Kindle for my birthday. He had the strangest look on his face and of course said that I should get an iPad instead!

My Kindle arrived today nicely gift wrapped by Amazon, of course He might not know best, but he is a good listener! I can't wait to open it, thought about doing it early, to get it ready, you know, but then I remembered it's still registered in his account. We had gotten one for my daughter this past Christmas and I was the one who set it up for her, so I guess he would see what I had been up to.
    I am feeling a little guilty about my huge to be read pile of books scattered around the house.

vCash
    FWIW, I read tech blogs like Engadget often and the Nook Color does seem to have been universally well received. At least I can't recall any particular negative comments from owners. It looked pretty sweet in the store too, I'm looking forward to seeing what the upcoming Android Froyo update will bring!

vCash
    I got an e-mail from Borders saying that the price of the Kobo is now permanently $99.00.

http://www.borders.com/online/store/...id=SA_20110208

It's wi-fi too. I still want a Nook but you can't beat the $99.00 price of the Kobo. I wonder if this will take away some potential customers from the Nook and Kindle.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    I wonder if this will take away some potential customers from the Nook and Kindle.
    Borders is probably hoping it will, since they are expected to file for bankruptcy any day now.

Kobo has its own store and can be used with other book sources (Google Books, the library, any ePub source, etc.), so Borders' problems shouldn't affect the Kobo too much.

Just be aware that there are reasons the Kobo is that cheap.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Borders is probably hoping it will, since they are expected to file for bankruptcy any day now.

Kobo has its own store and can be used with other book sources (Google Books, the library, any ePub source, etc.), so Borders' problems shouldn't affect the Kobo too much.

Just be aware that there are reasons the Kobo is that cheap.
    Thanks for the link. I tested the Kobo in a Borders in December and I didn't like it. It was rather hard to navigate and (I know this is shallow) also not aesthetically pleasing either. I would rather pay the extra money for Sony or Nook or Kindle.

vCash
    !

You can always root it and have a small Android tablet. There are instructions everywhere; it's just that if you mess it up, you void your warranty. People swear it's child's play and no one can mess it up, but I've heard that one before.

I use my Nook Color for web browsing when I'm out and about, and it's very convenient. But while it's fantastic in the store and useful for times when I'm just out somewhere and want to look at the internet for some reason, I don't like it much for general web browsing and suggest you try before you buy if that's something you are looking for.
    But still, I really like having it; it's so much more convenient than a laptop and it's so much easier to read and use than my cell phone when I'm out and about. And the response time has been great no matter where I've gone--it just zips right along.
    Ahhhh, I saw this and I almost ovulated! I went to youtube and watched vids of the Android 3.0(Honeycomb) system on a Nook Color.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Ahhhh, I saw this and I almost ovulated! I went to youtube and watched vids of the Android 3.0(Honeycomb) system on a Nook Color.
    Don't forget that Groupon deal up there (Drippler link). That's pretty awesome if it still works.

THe Honeycomb thing is awfully tempting.........but I will be good (for now).

vCash

LMAO.

I'm not sure how much trouble this might cause him, but our digital manager (basically, the dept. manager of the Nook dept.) rooted his as soon as he got it. It looks really cool. I can only hope the official Android Marketplace release will give us a great number of options.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 4rkidz View Post
    Aluratek Pro is what I ordered and only $99.00

one of the staff at work got it for Christmas and she absolutely loves it especially because she has issues with screen glare that I know sony users have complained about (she is an avid reader) the type of screen for the aluratek is really helping her. The reviews are pretty good as well.. especially considering its half the price of the sony

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...cef631e902en02
    I own this device, too. Price was definitely factor, I paid the same as you last June during a sale. It handles library ebooks, another plus for me. But the page flashing of e-ink devices bothers me, which is a major reason why I went with the Libre Pro.

The page flash also happens when navigating through the menu functions on e-ink devices. Most people don't notice or don't care about the flashing, so it's good to go to a store and try it out. The only major downside of the Libre Pro for me is the battery life, which is not nearly as long as the e-ink devices.

The e-ink screens shouldn't really have that much of a glare issue (they look like paper), but I think there was one or two older Sony touch screen models that had more glare because of the touch screen.

Although, I may cave in and get a kobo as a secondary device for travel because it's so much lighter than the other devices.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    LMAO.

I'm not sure how much trouble this might cause him, but our digital manager (basically, the dept. manager of the Nook dept.) rooted his as soon as he got it. It looks really cool.
    Ask him if he downloaded the Kindle app. Because you can do that on a rooted Nook, and then you can get Kindle books, too.

I think that's kind of .

out in a boat (out and about) in Nova Scotia b'ye!
    vCash
    I got a Pandigital Novel 7' multimedia ereader (black) for my birthday and love it so far
    The mind of the performer is a very strange thing.
    ~James Galway

vCash
    I'm not into either one, but there was a guy in the Barnes & Noble store last night, arguing Kindle vs. Nook with the salesgirl at the top of his lungs while she was trying to talk to another customer. I felt really bad for the salesgirl - and the customer - who certainly didn't look happy to be listening to this guy's harangue.

As I left, I saw two more (very large, very male) employees closing in on the counter, presumably to remove the loudmouth. That constituted harrassment in my book. I don't care which one you prefer but nothing gives you the right to come to a store and shout your opinions of a competitor's product.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Resurrecting this thread because we were talking about borrowing library books on e-readers here and I thought people who were interested in doing so might want to be aware of this:

Macmillan refuses to allow its digital books to be lent in the library. Apparently Simon & Schuster is the same way and won’t allow its titles to be lent digitally through the library.

Today news has come out that HarperCollins will now institute library lending caps.

Oh! and the publishers want to look at the library patron data to see if the library is actually observing territorial and geographic restrictions.

http://dearauthor.com/wordpress/2011...eaders-better/

Some discussion of what this means for most libraries: http://librarianinblack.net/libraria...evolution.html

vCash
    Grrr. Oh well. I got a Nook because it could take my old eReader.com collection from my Palm days. And I preferred supporting B&N over Amazon, especially given recent news. The library books would have only been a bonus.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lara View Post
    Grrr. Oh well. I got a Nook because it could take my old eReader.com collection from my Palm days. And I preferred supporting B&N over Amazon, especially given recent news. The library books would have only been a bonus.
    You can still get library e-books--I have four of them checked out at the moment--but your selection will be more limited and the waiting lists will probably get longer.

I just read a blog rant from an author who is not at all happy about this; he says that it's already way too easy for people to just steal e-books and actions like this will just encourage that. And he's probably right. I read on another author's site that you could download more than 1000 publisher-quality e-books for free in less than 30 seconds from a pirate site. I tried it; you sure can. You have to have some know-how, but it's not at all hard.

I like authors and books; I deleted them all. But publishers really need to take a look at lessons learned from the music industry--make things to expensive or difficult and people will justify theft to themselves. Make things simple and cheap, and you may survive.

Title-less
    vCash
    I'd love to support some Chinese authors, artists and their ebooks and esongs, but the Chinese piracy problem is so rife it's tough for legitimate ebook or emusic to survive. e.g. It took me forrrrreeeevvvver to locate Chinese artists in Itune because I had to search five ways: the mandarin pronunciation, Cantonese pronunciation, simplified characters, traditional charaacters and then the romanized version of each dialect. I have to confess in cases like this, most of my friends won't bother buying--they'll resort to piracy.

Yeah, English ebooks and songs - much simpler to purchase and download. Much more viable business

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234