vCash

How do you describe skating things?

Okay yesterday I came up with a new way of explaining to someone what a bracket is meant to look like. Basically it is the shape of a boob. Which compared to a three turn which looks like a bottom.

Any other handy ways to help explain skating moves?
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    I've always described a bracket as looking like a curly bracket { (which I think is actually called a brace) and a three turn as looking like a 3.

I did explain to a co-worker this weekend what a figure 8 was. It helped that I had a white board to draw and a pair of blades in the office (decoration) to show what the edges were.

His biggest shock- the blades were wider than he thought. They were gold seals- so what the elites wear, can't imagine how he thought they'd be landing on anything much thinner.

vCash
    Lots of non-skaters assume that a blade is sharpened in a V like a knife, instead of like an upside-down U. Even some of the younger skaters assume the same thing unless the coach sits them down, shows them the blade and explains the concept of edges.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    Lots of non-skaters assume that a blade is sharpened in a V like a knife, instead of like an upside-down U. Even some of the younger skaters assume the same thing unless the coach sits them down, shows them the blade and explains the concept of edges.
    Actually a coach told me about a student who turned up to skate and was having trouble skating. When he asked what was wrong, she told the coach that her father had sharpened her blades. Guess what the father had done with an angle grinder!!
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.