Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

vCash
    I agree with almost all of these comments so I stopped multi-quoting. It would have been obnoxious.

My reply to the person who said The Proposal with Sandra Bullock is this. The scene with Betty and Sandra in the woods made that movie for me.
    "Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    I also really liked Sideways.
    Me too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rjblue View Post
    My first question to weed out people I probably won't have movies in common with- Have you seen Zoolander? If they give me a Blue Steel in reply, I know I'll enjoy the conversation.
    ITA, some people will disregard this movie the moment they see it stars Ben Stiller, usualy they are not people I enjoy either.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Has anyone seen Rat Race? One of those movies that you wouldn't think much of but it was hilarious. Had a great cast with lots of cameos.
    I think I watched in the theatre and on tv as well, it's quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by jenny12 View Post
    I agree about Sideways. I was looking forward to seeing it, but then ended up annoyed with Paul Giamatti whose character just needed to grow the hell up.
    Here's another vote against Sideways, it wasn't good at all, I bought it in a dvd pack along with The Full Monty (Robert Carlyle :rocks and Little Miss Sunshine, fortunately these two are great movies.

vCash
    I thought How to Train Your Dragon was cute, mostly because Toothless reminded me of my puppy.

vCash
    I have to say, I did not think that I'd enjoy Mama Mia at all, but my Mom wanted to see it, and she talked me into it. I am almost ashamed to admit it, but I loved it. It was just downright fun! And now I have it on Blu Ray.

Another one that really sticks in my mind is Harry Potter (1 or 2). I had no interest. It was a kids movie, why would I want to go see it (I was in my 30s for goodness sakes! LOL). A friend wanted to see Harry 3 for her birthday, so she made me watch 1 and 2 on DVD before hand, and I just loved them. It made me look forward to 3, and then of course, I had to read all the books one after the other. LOL!
    Erm.... I got nothin'

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Galaxy Quest was really good and very funny.
    ITA. Just like Tropical Thunder. Both are hysterical.

I never liked the Toy Story series until a friend of mine took me to the cinema this year and we watched all 3 movies in Disney 3D. I fell in love with them.

vCash
    Loved Sideways, The Proposal, Mamma Mia, Galaxy Quest, etc.

I died laughing when Paul Giamatti's character freaked out about not drinking Merlot, near the restaurant. Then of course when the naked guy runs out the door. Hilarious. And it's funny, because I didn't think I'd like the movie and ended up loving it.

and I've seen Mamma Mia at least 10 times....for a while I watched it every time it came on HBO lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KikiSashaFan View Post
    The Hangover was way better than the previews made it look.
    This is true. The previews made it look totally unappealing to me. My son made me watch it and I laughed and laughed.

But one of my all-time favorite movies, The Blues Brothers, got really horrible reviews.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedwitch View Post
    Pirates of the Caribbean - a movie based on a theme park ride? I was convinced it would be awful.
    Totally agree. I normally hate pirate movies, and I had said that even Johnny Depp wouldn't make me see it. However had time to kill so paid for it and had the best time.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    I am going the other direction. Because of all the hype - I thought Sideways would be good to see.

I strongly disliked it, it did not make sense and was very disappointing.
    I had the same reaction. Paul Giamatti is one of my favourite actors, and Alexander Payne (screenwriter/director) does awesome work, but that movie.....what an unlikeable bunch of characters doing annoying things.

I really liked Galaxy Quest but I expected to like it because it makes fun of sci-fi geeks, so it doesn't count But I agree re Pirates of the Caribbean (the first one). I thought it would be another CGI-ed up Disney excuse to sell action figures, but I was bored on a plane trip so I watched it. It actually had a plot and great acting and was entertaining to watch.

I also didn't expect to like Shrek, because I thought it would be geared to kids and be another thinly disguised toy ad. But I saw the second one (again on a plane) and laughed my head off. And then I dragged Mr. Overedge to see it in the theatre and we both thoroughly enjoyed it.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    My teen son recently rented She's Out of My League with Jay Baruchel (I'd never heard of him, but apparently he works with Seth Rogen and others). I expected raunchy, sophomoric humor, and there is some, but overall I thought the film was hilarious and charming.

vCash
    Monsters, Inc.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pollyanna View Post
    Jay Baruchel (I'd never heard of him, but apparently he works with Seth Rogen and others)
    Coincidentally, he also voices the main character in How to Train Your Dragon.

(I considered it a movie that looked stupid but ended up being good, but it looks like I'm in the minority!)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    How To Train Your Dragon. I'm 54, for chrissakes, and watched it on a long plane ride a few weeks ago.

What a terrific movie.
    I saw How To Train Your Dragon on the recommendation of a bunch of pre-K students. I was doing art projects with them--they were supposed to incorporate the school mascot, Alliegator, into their drawing and then make up a story. There were two groups who named every single thing on the page "Toothless." I figured I couldn't pass up such high praise.

I thought it was a good movie for kids that had decent animation. I enjoyed it, but didn't think it was fantastic. DreamWorks is definitely not up to Disney/Pixar yet.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    I liked How to Train Your Dragon, although I agree it's not up to Pixar level. As far as Dreamworks films I actually enjoyed Kung Fu Panda more that How to Train Your Dragon. Again, not up to Pixar level, but I thought it was funnier and livelier than How to Train Your Dragon. The flying scenes were great though.

vCash
    When I found out how little dialogue there was in the first 1/2 of Wall-E, I thought I would be bored to tears with my little nieces. Instead I saw a captivating romance. Lesson: If it says Pixar--see it. The last 2 dvd's I purchased were Wall-E and Up. Another vote for Galaxy Quest though the supporting characters (specifically Sam Rockwell and Missy Pyle (sp?) were favorites for me. And if you like Patrick Dempsey- years ago he made a movie called Some Girls starring w/ Jennifer Connelly. I thought it would be your typical teen romance movie but it was not. Sometimes I really enjoy movies that go off the rails a bit but still satify and enertain.

vCash
    Wall-E was a beautiful movie and definately surpassed my expectations.

The other one that was so much better than what I thought it would be was Enchanted. Absolutely charming.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    It was a while ago, but I recall enjoying Galaxy Quest even though it looks very silly.
    Galaxy Quest is one of my favorite movies evah.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Movies that I thought would be stupid but ended up actually being really good include The 40-Year-Old Virgin, Clueless, Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy, Elf, The Wedding Singer, Borat, Blades of Glory (which I genuinely like), Old School, Fever Pitch, Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby...

I'd originally watched some of these films due to my husband or brother-in-law's interest, but now I pretty much know that if it's got Will Ferrell, Judd Apatow, or Paul Rudd involved, I should probably just see it. And it's not that I like Will Ferrell. But what can I say? The man's funny when he's in the right type of film.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Love this thread.
    I like Sideways, did not love it.
    Blues Brothers - is a classic, one of my favs 'We're on a mission from God'
    Galaxy Quest - went in to with expectations and lmao

Some people who know me think I am nuts. I go to a film club that sees movies before they are released (usually foreign, indie, small films, many oscar contenders) and think I am snobby, but love movies like Animal House, Blues Brothers, The Hangover (just loved it) and Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

I loved Blades of Glory, like many of Will FErrell movies, so stupid, but just so funny.
    I so agree anything with Will Ferrell, Apatow or Rudd - go see - they are just fun movies.
    This past winter, when going to a movie with a friend and between what one of us had seen - Sherlock Holmes was the only one available to us. Went in with low expectation, but really enjoyed that movie.
    Mamma Mia - silly, but a fun movie, but again went in with low expectation.
    I find for me, if my expectation is too high, I get disappointed.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast