Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Movies that look stupid but turn out good.

Last night I went to redbox and rented Bandslam, thinking I'd probably hate it but maybe it would have something interesting. I was quite shocked to find that I really enjoyed the movie. The movie has a very John Hughes/Cameron Crowe feel to it. And the music acclaims people like David Bowie, Clash etc.

I was shocked to learn this movie was marketed as a High School Musical rip of when the movie couldn't be anything more different if it tried. There's I guess a realistic feel to the movie, in the sense that you feel like they are dealing with real teens, with real problems (but not necessarily what you would think over sex problems) but just problems that kids deal with. Its actually a pretty decent movie that I enjoyed.

vCash
    Hot Tub Time machine was pretty funny. I thought the previews looked awful but I was wrong. I also enjoyed Get him to the Greek. It was tasteless, rude, crude, but so freakin funny.

Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    Last night I went to redbox and rented Bandslam, thinking I'd probably hate it but maybe it would have something interesting. I was quite shocked to find that I really enjoyed the movie. The movie has a very John Hughes/Cameron Crowe feel to it. And the music acclaims people like David Bowie, Clash etc.

I was shocked to learn this movie was marketed as a High School Musical rip of when the movie couldn't be anything more different if it tried. There's I guess a realistic feel to the movie, in the sense that you feel like they are dealing with real teens, with real problems (but not necessarily what you would think over sex problems) but just problems that kids deal with. Its actually a pretty decent movie that I enjoyed.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I have really wanted to see Bandslam. Isn't one of the main actresses someone from HSM, or from a Nickelodeon show or something? I think that may have a lot to do with the perception of the film.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Yesterday, I was dragged to Salt. While I can see why it got some not-so-stellar reviews, I thoroughly enjoyed it. There were some annoying conventions that were left out, like no sticky love affair or wishy-washiness that usually comes with a female lead in an action movie. Angelina Jolie was kickin' ass and taking names, no apologies.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    Hot Tub Time machine was pretty funny. I thought the previews looked awful but I was wrong
    I second this. It sounded stupid, but it actually was entertaining from beginning to end. Having John Cusack star didn't hurt.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leesaleesa View Post
    I second this. It sounded stupid, but it actually was entertaining from beginning to end. Having John Cusack star didn't hurt.
    I keep hearing this, though it's SO hard to get past the title....

vCash
    I am going the other direction. Because of all the hype - I thought Sideways would be good to see.

I strongly disliked it, it did not make sense and was very disappointing.

Now, I thought the Incredibles would be hokey, but I wanted some light entertainment. I loved that.

94.500.000 kílómetrar frá sólinni (og enn frekar frá stjarnfræðilegur læsi).
    vCash
    When I first saw a trailer for The Big Lebowski on E!'s coming attractions, I thought it would be silly, too slight, and not at all to my taste. It turned out to be just one out of three and, since I first watched it in 2001, one of my all-time favorite movies.
    I can call the moon a pear, but it doesn't make it so. -- kwanfan1818

Tranquillo
    vCash
    It was a while ago, but I recall enjoying Galaxy Quest even though it looks very silly.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    The Hangover was way better than the previews made it look.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    Because of all the hype - I thought Sideways would be good to see.

I strongly disliked it, it did not make sense and was very disappointing
    I disliked it as well, watched it on a flight. When I mentioned not liking it to the man sitting next to me he made a comment like "well it's a very critically acclaimed movie and it's quite wonderful". Snobby little sh*t

Minecraft Widow
    vCash
    Count me as a third person who didn't care for Sideways. I thought Paul Giamatti's character was such an unlikable little troll.

The other night there was nothing better on than Rockula. The late '80s cheese was practically oozing out of the television set, but it was a fun little bit of Saturday night entertainment. My husband and I, who hardly ever agree on movies, both said this is a surprisingly enjoyable movie.

We both spotted Bo Diddley in the movie, but looking up that IMDB link, I now see that Thomas Dolby and Toni Basil played two of the main characters. What a hoot!
    Cigarettes are like squirrels. They are perfectly harmless until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire. -- @ciggybuttz on Twitter

vCash
    Babe - I thought the premise of it with talking animals sounded ridiculous in the trailer. But we saw it, and loved it!

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    It was a while ago, but I recall enjoying Galaxy Quest even though it looks very silly.
    I thought that was a great movie too. It surprised me how enjoyable it was and I think that was mainly from the cast. Tim Allen and Sigourney Weaver specifically were really good.

I remember thinking that Coyote Ugly looked like a movie I would never see (dancing girls in a bar is not my type of movie at all, LOL) but I saw it on TV one day when I was channel surfing and I actually enjoyed it. I didn't realize it actually had some semblance of a plot in it, LOL
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

Re-registered User
    vCash
    I'm another one who was disappointed by Sideways but loved Galaxy Quest.

My first question to weed out people I probably won't have movies in common with- Have you seen Zoolander? If they give me a Blue Steel in reply, I know I'll enjoy the conversation.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

Skating Pairs with Drew
    vCash
    Bowfinger!

vCash
    Galaxy Quest was really good and very funny.

Has anyone seen Rat Race? One of those movies that you wouldn't think much of but it was hilarious. Had a great cast with lots of cameos.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    My big fat greek wedding. I thought the trailer was not funny at all, but I ended up enjoying it a lot.

vCash
    I agree about Sideways. I was looking forward to seeing it, but then ended up annoyed with Paul Giamatti whose character just needed to grow the hell up.

vCash
    The Game Plan - I really enjoyed this movie and think it not just funny but totally plausible. Dwayne Johnson was great as the jock/clueless dad.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast