vCash

Jeremy's music? Viejos Aires

Does anyone know which recording this is that he used in the exhibition in Korea? I wondered if it was the Canadian group I love so much, Quartetto Gelato? Anyone? Many thanks
    Jenny, in Almost Heaven, WV

vCash
    Isn't it supposed to be Ensamble Nuevo Tango? I came across this online interview from 2000 with them: http://www.musiciansgallery.com/star...uevo/tango.htm

ETA: Found this video of a live performance of "Viejos Aires" (composed by Fernando Egozcue) by the group: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc2YddmHFik

Another, more recent live performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqDO2qiLoWg
    Last edited by Sylvia; 07-24-2010 at 05:02 PM.

vCash
    thanks, Sylvia! Always nice to discover new possibilities for my instrument. And I love this new program on Jeremy.
    Jenny, in Almost Heaven, WV

vCash
    Thanks for the links to this music performed live.

Jeremy Abbott’s performance to Viejos Aires at ATSS in Korea, I think was a good first performance of this program (is he planning this for his upcoming season’s SP?). As it stands now, I think his arm movements are too busy. Maybe he’s trying for something re Latin flamenco type flair/ expressiveness, but I don’t think he’s got this all worked out quite yet. I’m sure the program will further evolve. Jeremy’s black t-shirt and black pants (and even his opening with the arm movements), reminds me of Johnny Weir’s Heartbroken exhibition, though minus the white gloves, headband, and eye makeup. Of course Johnny is a master at graceful expressiveness through arm movements that are unique and just right (not overdone), flowing out of genuine emotion (particularly in his more lyrical numbers).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIHPvKMkrNQ Jeremy Viejos Aires

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd1Dk-NxfaM Johnny Heartbroken

For his second number at the ATSS show, I loved Jeremy’s familiar Michael Buble exhibition – it fit him like an old glove. Jeremy is such a wonderful dancer, and he seems very fit and strong, and growing into his own somehow – I hope he’s also learning how to shed his competitive jitters.

It will be an interesting upcoming season. If Jeremy brings it, he may be able to win his 3rd National title (though I'm sure others, including Adam Rippon, will be hot on his heels).

vCash
    The hand movements have got to go!

vCash
    Well , not all the hand movements have to go...just the fondling-of-own-face ones..and the turning of direction of own head ( all sort of wankish, IMO , and a bit cliched in the world of skating)... while the intertwining snakes thing and the arms extended in front going in opposite directions thing ( Esp. since he's mostly only stroking at the time), just seem like they're thrown in for the sake of doing something , anything ..and are neither Tango nor Flamenco..nor Jazz for that matter. Other than those sorts of individual movements , the intricate arms are fabulous , and it's a really good adaptation of the stuff from Najarro's dance show.

vCash
    i got to see the new program which looks great, but at the end of last season i fell in love with the beatles one, i wanted to keep using it

vCash
    A splendid program, a beautiful music. I am more and more in love with Jeremy !

vCash
    This music is outstanding. I'd love to see what costuming he chooses. The tank and black pants was fine for the ex but a little too metrosexual for flamenco with the shaved pits...but...meh...

I think it's easy to criticize all the hand movements. They certainly get your attention right off the bat. I grew to appreciate this as an innovative complexity as well as a motif for the program. I think it worked well also because they were lyrical and highlighted the music vs. senseless arm flailing we have seen from skaters in the past. Certainly very difficult to attempt difficult steps in the footwork or during transitions when your upper body as so busy. I'll be watching his competitive numbers to see if his hand work complements or replaces complexity in lower body movement.

Well done though. I like the new direction. To me it's definitely an artistic evolution and the first year after Olympics is the best time to experiment!

Next up: Brian. Show us your hip swaying and dramatic stops with your hands above your head or framing your waist. I would expect nothing more!!

vCash
    .. I'm betting that is the costume..and I don't see anything wrong with it. It's definitely a style of costuming many modern flamenco dancers have used , and since tango is danced in street clothes , it all works...By the time we see it in competition, it could be a welcome contrast to the many over-costumed skaters we see every year. He'll be a standout. Besides, it doesn't distract from the intricacies in the skating. Clean lines - easy to appreciate the difficulty of the program.

I like it a lot , for this program. The only downside is that if he's very successful, we may see 10 or15 guys with lesser abilities and weaker programs trying to emulate him next year. ( But that danger is always with us.)

vCash
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWHGRA2lamk

I like the arms better in this version- especially the last half. The music is wonderful. I wish all the skaters wore simple costumes. I find the very busy costumes distracting.

It will be interesting to see how this program develops. It's not a classic tango or flamenco, so I also wonder how it will be judged.

vCash
    Gorgeous music! Very well done, Jeremy!

vCash
    I find it interesting to compare fan videos from different angles. Luckily there are a few available. Here is Jeremy's performance during the day show on the 25th ( the one posted above is the evening show on the same day).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KU_rzDLTxx4
    Last edited by dinakt; 08-05-2010 at 07:05 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    ... The tank and black pants was fine for the ex but a little too metrosexual for flamenco with the shaved pits...but...meh...

Actually, there is a closer shot in Jeremy's original performance of this program where I detect some underarm hair, therefore I think the lighting perhaps gives the impression that his underarms are completely shaved.

vCash
    I think I read somewhere, (after the first performance ) that he was going to shave his pits....Just as well. Very hairy pits can be distracting.

vCash
    U know, it might be a little excessive sometimes, but I like it a lot... I think he's the best dancer the US has had in a long time, including the Ice Dance category...
    It's got a true tango feeling, and that's really hard to get when you haven't got any drop of latin blood in your veins.
    Well done, Jeremy!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post

Well done though. I like the new direction. To me it's definitely an artistic evolution and the first year after Olympics is the best time to experiment!.....
    Sorry for the random bump up but I watched this again. I'm upgrading my feedback to near-masterpiece level. This program kills and the judges are going to love it. I'm projecting scores smack among the leaders in any competition if he skates clean.

Ok, back to the regularly-scheduled programming...

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robinhood View Post
    It's got a true tango feeling, and that's really hard to get when you haven't got any drop of latin blood in your veins.
    Well done, Jeremy!
    Just out of curiosity how do you know he doesn't have latin blood at all?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dinakt View Post
    I find it interesting to compare fan videos from different angles. Luckily there are a few available. Here is Jeremy's performance during the day show on the 25th ( the one posted above is the evening show on the same day).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KU_rzDLTxx4

This is so much better than the first day's performance!! I'm excited to see it in a few months! Jeremy for branching out. I was at the fan hollering and cheering during the performance. Loved it!!