Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RumbleFish View Post
    The most spectacular medal winning fall I can remember was gold medal winner of 08 Worlds crashing in to the board on her face after a failed cheat on her triple axel.
    She was penalized for that fall as she got no points. But based on your previous posts on this particular skater, it's not surprising that's the ONLY incident you'll remember.

vCash
    All the skaters get negative GOEs and one point deduction for falls, as they are supposed to be under the rules.

Since you were complaining about skaters winning medals despite falls, I just brought up the most prominent case.
    Why have you changed your view all of a sudden and think it's not a crime to fall as long as points are deducted?

I don't mind people being critical, but please at least try to be fair and objective.

vCash
    Another talented one with no world or O's medals at all - Josee Chouinard. Her major issue: she didn't have a competitive mindset, but when she was on, she could hang out with the best of them.

vCash
    I dont think Josee was ever World Champions material really though, atleast not in the judges eyes. At the 93 Worlds she skated her best short program ever by far and was placed a distant 4th, almost 5th. At the 94 worlds she skated an even better short program than the 93 Worlds (her best ever was now 94 Canadians) and in a weak and depleted field missing Kerrigan, Baiul, and Chen, she was placed a distant 3rd behind Sato and Bonaly.

vCash
    All the skaters get negative GOEs and one point deduction for falls, as they are supposed to be under the rules.

Since you were complaining about skaters winning medals despite falls, I just brought up the most prominent case.
    Why have you changed your view all of a sudden and think it's not a crime to fall as long as points are deducted?

I don't mind people being critical, but please at least try to be fair and objective.
    You aren't being very fair and objective yourself. You can call it a 'failed triple axel', but how can you say it was a 'failed cheat triple axel' if she fell before she even took off?

vCash

All I said was that falls and sloppy performances weren't penalized enough. I didn't say the skaters who had falls didn't deserve their medals. I find it hilarious you're giving me advice to be fair and objective since I hardly find your posts at all objective

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ponta1 View Post
    You aren't being very fair and objective yourself. You can call it a 'failed triple axel', but how can you say it was a 'failed cheat triple axel' if she fell before she even took off?
    The fall happened while she was skidding on the ice before her intended take-off. An axel jump is supposed to take-off on the outside edge, but some skaters skid too much and take-off on the inside edge, effectively performing a salchow instead of an axel.
    I wouldn't think such a fall would have been possible had she entered the jump on a correct edge.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    All I said was that falls and sloppy performances weren't penalized enough. I didn't say the skaters who had falls didn't deserve their medals. I find it hilarious you're giving me advice to be fair and objective since I hardly find your posts at all objective
    That's funny, because I don't see ANYONE saying skaters who fall don't deserve their medals.

I happen to think skaters are penalized enough for falls on their TES, though I do sometimes wonder interruptions to their performance are reflected enough on program components.

I must say though, gold medalist of 08 Worlds wouldn't have won had there been stricter penalties for falls like you say, as her margin of victory was a mere point.
    Though you and I have our differences, it seems we agree in the end that winner of 08 Worlds didn't deserve her gold medal.

vCash
    Women:

Surya Bonaly : lack of basic edges, and grace.
    Fumie Suguri : not that impressive compared to Slutskaya, Kwan, and other from her era.
    Joannie Rochette : mostly nerves.
    Caryn Kadavy : too short career

Men:

Christopher Bowman : lack of practices.
    Takeshi Honda : nerves ?
    Philipe Candelero : lack of practices !

Pairs:

Meno and Sand : style...too generic

Dance:

Drobiazko & Vanagas : lack of basic skating (for her) and small federation...
    Moniotte & Lavanchy : lack of originality ?
    Rahkammo & Kokko : programs too easy...I'm happy they didn't win the World title (but I loved them...)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    Do you think Joannie would have fared better in another era? I am not sure she would been better off in Kwan/Slutskaya era either. Her skating technique is very solid but she also lacks the "it" factor that truly sets her apart from others. She also doesn't help herself by being inconsistent for most of her career.
    I think she would have fared worse. It's her PCs marks that keep her up where she is, usually. Her mistakes on her jumps would be more penalized under 6.0, I think. I think under 6.0 Mirai would have beat her at the 2010 Olympics.

vCash
    Kwan and Slutskaya won all their major events by skating cleanly. Since Joannie never skates cleanly that would already make it difficult for her to win in their era. Is Joannie even really that much better than say Fumie Suguri in her prime? And Fumie was no threat whatsoever to Kwan or Slutskaya.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Kwan and Slutskaya won all their major events by skating cleanly. Since Joannie never skates cleanly that would already make it difficult for her to win in their era. Is Joannie even really that much better than say Fumie Suguri in her prime? And Fumie was no threat whatsoever to Kwan or Slutskaya.
    I agree. She's probably slightly better than Suguri, but not much. Both had/have jump/consistency problems, and neither of them make the program look easy, as someone like Yu-Na or Michelle does.. it looks like they're working hard (Fumie and Joannie).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I think under 6.0 Mirai would have beat her at the 2010 Olympics.
    I agree. I think Mirai could have been as high as second under 6.0, but it would've been close. Mao's two 3A would also have been more valued.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123