Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thunder & Lightning!!!
    vCash

Deadliest Catch is back

I had recorded the show from Tuesday and finally got to watch it late last night. It is going to be a hard season to watch knowing that Captain Phil has passed on. Still not sure how they are going to handle his stroke. They were filming at the time, but it is up to the family how much of his illness & hospital time makes it on air!
    Peace & Love, Gypsy
    Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    From what I gathered, most of it will. It was strange watching knowing what's going to happen. Also strange knowing about Jake's father's disappearance. I'm still trying to determine if the *fight* between the Hildebrand's and Keith was real or fake. Keith is an annoying a$$ sometimes.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

vCash
    That fight was real. The Hildebrands offloaded Russell onto Keith. Russell turned out to be a bad hire and Keith tried to poach some of the other crewmen off of the Time Bandits boat. That pissed the Hildebrands off big time. Considering that Keith runs through crewmen like water you can see why people don't like him.

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Has anyone here been watching throughout the season?

I had lost interest in watching DC after the second season (primarily due to having a S2 marathon on one afternoon/evening while violently ill and ending up in the ER - when I tried watching it later on, it kept reminding me of how awful I felt that weekend).

I have, however, starting watching it this go around, primarily due to Phil Harris and the Cornelia Marie being my favorite ship and crew. Given the tragedy that occurred during filming, it has been bittersweet knowing what was to come.

Even though no one on the ship knew what the near future was to bring, when Phil caught his son Jake in the act of stealing his narcotic pain medication and the bombshell Jake dropped on his father, I flinched as it was particularly difficult to watch.

I do have to wonder if it was truly that much of a shock to Phil - IIRC there was mention earlier that alluded to Jake having prior issues with drug abuse -- at one point Jake referred to the beginning of the crab season being his form of "SeaHab," and given his fatigue, sickness (likely due to withdrawal from something) and overall case of "I don't give a damn-itis), some of the signs were there. Also, when Jake tried to rationalize and justify stealing the pills by casually saying "I'm an addict," Phil's response of "You're a liar and a thief, and when we dock, I want you off this ship and out of my life - I never want to see you again" leads me to believe that this isn't the first time they've been on that merry-go-round and that act was the final straw.

Tomorrow night's episode is going to be particularly :.

Spoiler

On a different note, I'm always astounded at the unbelievable dedication, strength, and endurance the men on these ships go through when they head out in the Bering Sea. Last week's episode, with all of the ice that accumulates on the ship, and then, as it thawed and huge chunks would rain down on the deck and the risk of injury and/or death if hit by one. I was when that 60 lb. chunk fell on Mike and hit him in his back and head, and I couldn't believe he was able to "walk it off" and go right back to work. These guys are like Supermen in a way.
    Gun Control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to buy cars.

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    Has anyone here been watching throughout the season?
    Yes. I love this show, and even though there are some aspects that are a bit repetitive, I'm still in awe of the Bering Sea and the way the guys handle adversity.

Thanks for the spoiler. I knew what tomorrow night's episode would cover, but I didn't know how they'd handle things after that.

Spoiler

I wonder what direction the show will take next season. Like others, I'm not a fan of Keith Colburn, who strikes me as an arrogant, self-absorbed prick, and I don't particularly care for his brother either, so the thought of the Wizard potentially taking on a larger role has little appeal to me. And I don't think the Kodiak will be back (can't say I'll miss them much either - they seemed to be more filler than anything else).

Spoiler

Last edited by BittyBug; 06-22-2010 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Fix Keith's last name.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

Quadless
    vCash

Deadliest Catch in the News

Interesting article from today's NY Times on how the show will handle Phil's illness (WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS).
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post

I wonder what direction the show will take next season. Like others, I'm not a fan of Keith Colburn, who strikes me as an arrogant, self-absorbed prick, and I don't particularly care for his brother either, so the thought of the Wizard potentially taking on a larger role has little appeal to me. And I don't think the Kodiak will be back (can't say I'll miss them much either - they seemed to be more filler than anything else).
    Well, I think the question is who is going to

Spoiler

Bizarre as it sounds to fangirl real people, as long as they keep Northwestern I'm cool.

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Well, I think the question is who is going to

Spoiler

Spoiler

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    Interesting article from today's NY Times on how the show will handle Phil's illness (WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS).
    Thanks for posting this, BittyBug....no doubt I'll have that box of Kleenex right by my side, not only tonight, but in the remaining episodes of the season : .

Discovery will be airing a special about Phil on July 20th, including several interviews and footage from previous seasons (as well as this one) that never made it to the original episodes.

Regarding the future of the Cornelia Marie,

Spoiler

One thing I did read is that Discovery Channel assisted with getting Jake help getting him into rehab. One can only hope that with everything that transpired, it will help motivate him into committing to getting clean. Of course, there's also a part of me that worries that he will be wracked with guilt and send him into a downward spiral at some point .
    Gun Control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to buy cars.

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post

Spoiler

Spoiler

One thing I did read is that Discovery Channel assisted with getting Jake help getting him into rehab. One can only hope that with everything that transpired, it will help motivate him into committing to getting clean. Of course, there's also a part of me that worries that he will be wracked with guilt and send him into a downward spiral at some point .
    He definitely could go either way.

vCash
    I'm watching the new episode, and after the ending of last week's, when Phil looked to be ready to beat Jake's ass, it seems as though he's taking Jake seriously about being an addict and is urging him to get into treatment and has offered to go to meetings.

He's also cutting his trip short to go back into dock, I'm guessing to get Jake off the boat so he can start immediately with getting help.

*GULP*

Got your Kleenex ready?

In other news, it looks like ice is falling all over the damn place on other ship,s but holy crap, look at the pots they're bringing in!!

BB, I like Jonathan, too, but if you watched last week's After the Catch, which featured the ship he's on (they're doing an ATC for each one this season), he's become somewhat of a drama queen/attention whore, as though the fame and recognition is starting to go to his head. Hopefully this is a passing phase.

Holy shit, he's going to take a mid-season break?!

vCash
    Oh man, they just showed Phil taking with Sig about Northwestern Jake regarding his dad's disappearance (and how the authorities found his truck), and Phil seems like he's already struggling to keep himself together physically - he does not look well at all .

The talk that the Skipper of the Wizard (name escapes me ATM) had with his daughter about his dipping was heartbreaking - good for her for staying on his ass about quitting.

vCash
    More retrospective and commentary from Phil about his relationship with his sons, feeling guilt about how he raised them . During it, his hands were shaking, and he looked almost grey

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    *sniff* He was looking at old pictures of his kids.

vCash
    The Cornelia Marie has docked for off-loading and counting their catch.

Oh gods, Phil is looking at photos of his kids and of himself, and showing them to Josh and Jake.

Steve's calling Phil on the phone for the final count, but not gettning an answer. Goes to knock on the door.

"Oh My God."

....And we go to a commercial break.

:

vCash
    Wow, the shot of Phil leaving his boat for the last time, with a crow overhead. Chilling.

vCash
    Those last 7-8 minutes were absolutely heartbreaking. Seeing Phil on the floor, absolutely helpless, yet amazingly conscious, had me tearing up. Seeing Jake break down, Josh immediately stepping in to take control and being told it's not important, to seeing him lifted by crane off the ship while ominous music played, to seeing him loaded in the ambulance and Josh leaning over him and telling his dad he was there for him.....all I can do is : .

The crew of the Cornelia Marie was absolutely devastated - the looks on their faces said it all .

Knowing how this unfolds, I'm dreading the remaining episodes of this season.

Quadless
    vCash
    This whole episode was so dark. Johnathan looking to quit. Keith with his chew addiction, and Jake Harris with his drug addiction. Jake Anderson with his missing father. And of course, Phil.

The producers obviously had the benefit of hindsight when editing, but the foreshadowing in the episode was just eerie. And the crow - truly spooky (especially since for all the fowl they show on the show, I don't think we've ever seen a crow before). What a way for Phil to go out, too - lifeless and having to be moved by a crane, just like one of his crab pots.

I just loved the guy. He was such a wise man. Obviously not schooled in a traditional way, but he was smarter than all get out. And between his witticisms delivered in that raspy voice with those sparkly blue eyes twinkling, he was thoroughly charming in a salty, crusty way. Definitely just a big teddy bear.

The rest of the season is indeed going to be hard to watch. I recorded After the Catch, too, but I'm in no mood for levity after seeing a great man fall.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    It was very moving, yet the Geico commercial with Andy and the Caveman was funny.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    That was a raven, not a crow. And despite the whole thing I'm sure some director and editor were giddy when they got that footage--ominous raven is ominous! (I also congratulate them for using an actual bald eagle call for the footage of the bald eagle, as 99.99% of EVERY eagle/hawk scream heard on TV or in movies is actually the scream of a red-tailed hawk. It's become a joke in our house every time a raptor is on screen, you KNOW what sound effect you'll hear. But they ran the keek-keek, high-pitched, very undignified eagle call instead of going for cheap drama.)

And strictly speaking Phil wasn't dead. The NYT article linked above seems to imply he was actually recovering better than expected (the fact that he was coherent and responsive to the EMT was a good sign) but suffered another pulmonary embolism in the hospital.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast