Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    vCash
    I missed the beginning of this week's episode. How did Roger's partners find out they lost the Lucky Strike account? Also, I thought Bethany would smell another women's perfume on Don when they were hugging. I don't see her putting up with his tomcatting around.

vCash
    Ken was having dinner with his fiancee and her parents at some restaurant. Another ad man came by to express his condolences, and Ken said he didn't really know the deceased (I forget the name of the dead guy that was the subject of the funeral). The ad guy was from the agency with that guy that's gunning for Draper.

Anyway, other ad guy realizes that Ken doesn't know what's going on and makes a hasty exit. Ken stops him and that's when he learns that Lucky Strike has gone to a rival agency. Ken calls Pete (who is at the hospital with Trudy). Pete calls Don (who is at his place with Dr. Faye). Don is alarmed, and tells Pete to call in Cooper and get to the office.

vCash
    Not my fav episode, but a few things...
    Loved Bert in his pjs in the office, and did he see Roger put his finger on the plug?
    I think Bert sees all.
    Happy Peggy - nice to see
    Cosgrove's future father-in-law - Leland Palmer!! given the actor, I am wondering if he will appear again.
    Going to a funeral to get business !!! so absurd.
    Roger - another heart attack, or suicide attempt??
    Megan - not sure if I like her, over on TWOP some people think she might be a plant for the guy that is wooing Pete?? Or is she after Don, or after a job like Peggy's?
    Only 2 episodes left for this season.

vCash
    "Mad Men", imho, is the best show on the US TV in a looooooong time!

I love it, its just like me and my partners in our company in Russia. We drink during meetings during the day, smoke, have affairs.... and get the business done, and are not hell bent on political correctness a la 2010....

I feel so at home and comfortable when I watch this show! America was a good place back in the 60's so it seems..... Everyone is in suites, attractive, fit, clever..... it's middle of Manhattan, big money's at stake, evil competition, accounts, market shares, etc...... What a life!

vCash
    I got a chuckle out of this article on Christine Hendricks:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/1..._n_752288.html

Gay men and women hit on me. LOL

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinami Amori View Post
    "Mad Men", imho, is the best show on the US TV in a looooooong time!

I love it, its just like me and my partners in our company in Russia. We drink during meetings during the day, smoke, have affairs.... and get the business done, and are not hell bent on political correctness a la 2010....

I feel so at home and comfortable when I watch this show! America was a good place back in the 60's so it seems..... Everyone is in suites, attractive, fit, clever..... it's middle of Manhattan, big money's at stake, evil competition, accounts, market shares, etc...... What a life!
    I'm surprised that a businesswoman like yourself would feel nostalgic for the time period MadMen depicts. Career women had a much tougher time of it back then. In 1965, if Don had pressured Peggy to have sex with him; she wouldn't have had any legal recourse. She would have either had to give in or risk losing her job and being blackballed in the ad industry. Ditto if she lost out on promotions or bonuses to male employees with lesser track records.

MadMen's writers give us occasional glimpses of the social turmoil beneath the seemingly placid surface of American society. Don and Betty's divorce and her subsequent remarriage; Don's Bohemian neighbors in Greenwich Village who smoke pot and drop acid; Joan fearing that her husband maybe sent to Vietnam. In real life, Congress passed the Voting Rights Act, the first public protest against the Vietnam War, Malcolm X's assassination and the Watts Riot all took place in 1965.

vCash
    Loved last night's episode (which I just finished watching from my DVR). Too much to process to write anything at the moment. Can't wait to see how Don's gamble will pay off! But sad that we only have 1 more episode left (wah!)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonfan View Post
    Loved last night's episode (which I just finished watching from my DVR). Too much to process to write anything at the moment. Can't wait to see how Don's gamble will pay off! But sad that we only have 1 more episode left (wah!)
    It was a great episode. I think Don's gamble was brillant, and will succeed or a minimum keep the firm afloat, so the cast can stay together.
    My one prediction - remember Ray Wise was Cosgrove's future FIL - and I was thinking his part may be more, given the actor they have. And this past week about Cosgrove said for the American Cancer Society has important folks on their board. I can't remember what his FIL does, but there is money or power there that was mentioned several episodes back. Maybe he is on the board?

Loved how Don helped Pete, and Pete's acknowledgement.
    Trudi - boy was she decisive. The baby's name is Tammy? Whatever.
    Loved how Peggy is the one that said to Don to change the conversation.
    Of course Roger had a great comment - to learn names of people before he fires them. Plus John Slattery directed - awesome.
    I wonder if Bert will be back. They spent too much time with him in the background/officeless overhearing stuff to not have it come full circle.

vCash
    Are you kidding? If you were a woman, a black person, a gay person, a poor person, a Jew or any other kind of disenfranchised person - the 60s were NOT a good life. The social rumblings are always simmering under the work drama of this show, but in no way does it condone the racist, sexst, homophobic and classist tendancies of the era. I'm surprised that an immigrant businesswoman who's so proud of her Jewish identity would say that she feels "at home" while watching this show. You know that you wouldn not have been part of the America they were part of, right?
    [QUOTE=I feel so at home and comfortable when I watch this show! America was a good place back in the 60's so it seems..... Everyone is in suites, attractive, fit, clever..... it's middle of Manhattan, big money's at stake, evil competition, accounts, market shares, etc...... What a life![/QUOTE]
    Having said that, this is one of my fave shows and one of the best-made on tv right now...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Orable View Post
    I'm surprised that an immigrant businesswoman who's so proud of her Jewish identity would say that she feels "at home" while watching this show.
    I get a lecture on “the lack of women’s rights in the 60’s” from a woman who, although by choice, wears a Burqa, which is a symbol of and has its roots in one of the most oppressive to women religions? That’s funny……..

Again...... it's nice to see that people can have a drink and smoke a cigarette in their office. It’s nice to be able to make a “non-PC” joke sometimes. It’s nice to have a little flirt in the office, and it is a lot of fun to see your business partners having silly affairs with their staff and all the drama that follows….

It’s more real than the antiseptic environment in many US offices today, when a man can’t even compliment a woman, and woman can’t even slap a male co-worker on the rear without being afraid of a law suite…. And all the No-smoking bans, and "no wine for lunch" restrictions.

Believe me Orable, when I came to work in Russia in the early 1990’s, into that bear’s layer of “all sorts of backwardness”, I was a “woman”, “a Jew”, “a nobody” and “in business which is not for females”, and all the problems I faced often could easily be fixed with a good punch on the kisser…… and I am still there, an equal partner to many men, and we Drink, Smoke, and make Nasty Jokes in the office, and they call me a Jew-girl sometimes, and I call them “drunk Russkies”, but then we share profits fairly and equally…. ….. In-equality is in the eyes of the Beholder….. .

And I agree with you – Mad Man is one of the best shows on TV today.

And I am so tired of “political correctness” and “evil 60’s” image that decade has…. Ah, the Mods, The Avengers…… . Groovy…..

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinami Amori View Post
    Again...... it's nice to see that people can have a drink and smoke a cigarette in their office. It’s nice to be able to make a “non-PC” joke sometimes. It’s nice to have a little flirt in the office, and it is a lot of fun to see your business partners having silly affairs with their staff and all the drama that follows….
    I hope you find a time machine in which to enjoy these and the rest of society's offerings of the '60's.

vCash
    One day, there will be a Russian TV series set in the Bad Old Days of the early 2010's about a bunch of vodka-swilling, chain-smoking, un-PC-joke-making capitalists, their wacky, kisser-punching, ass-slapping female Jewish business partner, and all the silly little affairs they all have with their support staff.

vCash
    Last Sunday Night's episode -

Oy. Does Betty need a therapist of her own!

Trudy is still preggers?? I thought she was in the Hospital already the episode before last....

Sally's progress will be shattered by Betty's decision to move I sense deepening mother - daughter hostility as Sally becomes a teen .They really need to get out of Don's house, though.

I'm assuming it's the Fall of '65 already? Sally's friend was in a Football jersey [Fall sport] Sorry, I love to keep track of time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Last Sunday Night's episode -

Oy. Does Betty need a therapist of her own!

Trudy is still preggers?? I thought she was in the Hospital already the episode before last....

Sally's progress will be shattered by Betty's decision to move I sense deepening mother - daughter hostility as Sally becomes a teen .They really need to get out of Don's house, though.

I'm assuming it's the Fall of '65 already? Sally's friend was in a Football jersey [Fall sport] Sorry, I love to keep track of time.

Trudie had the baby last week - a girl - named Tammy.
    Betty does quite well with a child shrink - doesn't she!
    Yes it is end Sept or beg of Oct approx. Beatles concert was mid aug, and Roger was given 30 days, so last weeks episode was mid Sept. This episode began with meeting Dr Faye set up with Heinz mentioned end of last week, so maybe a few days to a couple weeks after? No Halloweeen mention, so not that far.
    The move has been needed, but Betty went about it the wrong way.
    I do think the shrink is probably the best thing that has ever happened to Sally.

vCash
    Trudy had the baby, but in recent years TV shows have been more realistic about their portrayal of new mothers. New mothers do still look pregnant for a couple of weeks after the baby is born, and Betty did in series 3 when Gene was born too, so I guess that's why Trudy is still in maternity clothes.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

vCash
    Not quite as fun a season finale as last year, but some great moments nonetheless.

My "The Writing was on the wall moments"

I'm not sure how to feel about Meghan. She's not Betty 2.0, but she is a safe choice for Don vs. Dr Faye. Ah Faye. Your fate was sealed as soon as Don turned you into his therapist rather than a future wife and mother.

They've been hinting at Meghan being Mrs. Draper for a while now, but as soon as he took in the scene with her and the kids in the diner (and her subsequent non-Betty reaction to a spilled milkshake), I knew that ring burning a hole in his pocket would be on her finger before they left La-La land. I just wonder if he will reveal the Dick/Don story to her before they're actually wed (doubtful). He did make reference to the fact that she didn't know him at all. Not exactly full disclosure.

I kept wondering how Roger must have been thinking that Don did exactly what he did, marry a secretary he barely knew that made him feel young. (BTW, was Roger typing at his secretary's desk? I suppose when you lose the only account you ever had, there really isn't a need for a secretary).

No big shocker about Joan being preggers.

Moments I loved:

Peggy and Joan bitching about Don in Joan's office. A real "sisters in arms" moment between these two.

Betty and Don at the end of the episode. Not sure how to read Betty, but I'm thinking she realized that perfection is not possible. Will she accept it and become more realistic? Or will she continue to fight it and become stagnant?

I gave a very non-1960's "You Go Girl" shout-out to Carla! Good for Henry calling out Betty on this.

Ken Cosgrove telling Pete that essentially he's not going to put the screws to HIS father-in-law. Oh snap!

vCash
    Betty is really turning into a B-tch. I wish Carla was a little less ladylike.

I cringed at Don breaking the news of his engagement to Dr. What's-her-name

vCash
    I didn't like Faye all that much, so I wasn't all that keen on her and Don. Good call with her "you'll be married by the end of the year" business. As much as I'm sure his upcoming marriage is a bad idea, it's nice that he and the kids might have someone seemingly more at ease than Betty.

Joan and Peggy. "Whatever could be on your mind? " Christina Hendricks is amazing.

vCash
    Dear God! What is he thinking? I still have an uneasy feeling about Meghan.
    Betty IS a bitter b*tch...
    Joan and Peggy = wonderful.

Sparks, keeper of Carla's severance pay.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast