Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I hope this downward spiral of Don's comes to a head at some point - it's getting boring to watch. He needs to hit rock bottom and either have it smash his work veneer, or allow it to help him rise from the ashes. One would hope that going on a 2-day bender and waking up with someone he doesn't even remember MIGHT make an impression on him that he needs to snap out of it. We'll see.

I was left wondering in the flashback if we're meant to think Roger never actually offered him a job, and that Don simply fudged it and hoped Roger would think he just forgot due to the drinks.

Loved the scene between Lane and Pete. He summed up Roger perfectly a "useless child". Lane is becoming a good mentor for Pete.

In the scene with Ken Cosgrove, I almost thought they were going to have Pete fall ass over tea kettle in his chair when he was leaning back in satisfaction from his talk with Ken.

I kind of liked the Peggy/Rizzo moments. She called him on his B.S. I wasn't at all surprised that she went as far as she did because she has shown time and again that she'll do whatever she has to in order to get the job done.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
    Love this show. So awesome. Peggy on the Honda. Love how Don figured out how to deal with the Japanese.
    Peggy on the Honda was the BEST!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Civic View Post
    Am I the only one who thought, "uh-oh" when Betty told the therapist that Sally began acting out after her grandfather died and that the two were very close. I wonder if we're going to learn that Betty's father molested Sally?
    That's what I thought too. So sad that they don't just see that they need to TALK to Sally rather than punish her or send her to a shrink.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonfan View Post
    I hope this downward spiral of Don's comes to a head at some point - it's getting boring to watch. He needs to hit rock bottom and either have it smash his work veneer, or allow it to help him rise from the ashes. One would hope that going on a 2-day bender and waking up with someone he doesn't even remember MIGHT make an impression on him that he needs to snap out of it. We'll see.
    Except that he then pours another drink... I think that Anna's death will be what finally pushes him over the edge. Especially if it turns out that she couldn't reach him because he was on a bender.

I was left wondering in the flashback if we're meant to think Roger never actually offered him a job, and that Don simply fudged it and hoped Roger would think he just forgot due to the drinks.
    I think that's exactly what happened. And how well constructed was that whole series of Don/Roger flashbacks against the Don/Danny story. Nicely done!

Don is turning into Roger, and if he's not careful, he'll turn into Duck. (Props for Duck's cameo!)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by znachki View Post
    I think that Anna's death will be what finally pushes him over the edge. Especially if it turns out that she couldn't reach him because he was on a bender.
    Ah, but maybe it will be the opposite. Peggy asked what I've been asking for a while now: "how long are you gonna go on like this?" Last night's episode left me thinking that Don will start to make the climb back up now that Anna is at peace and he's opened up a bit more to Peggy. He did have Peggy leave the door open at the end of the episode. I think he's back. We'll see.

"The Suitcase" - One of my favorite MM episodes. Against the backdrop of the Liston/Ali (Clay) fight, the parallels were a tad obvious, but I didn't mind. I loved seeing Don and Peggy's relationship deepen - while going through ups and downs in a very short night. I was holding my breath to see if she'd reveal that Pete got her pregnant, but it's much more believable that she didn't. And having her there when he finally made the call to CA seems to be a passing of the torch - Anna to Peggy. The only 2 woman who will ever understand Don.

I watching the two of them listen to Roger's tapes. I want to read this book! The only thing that topped it was Roger escaping to a nearby bar to call Don and beg him to come to dinner with Freddie and his AA buddy. Classic! And Duck planning to defecate on Roger's couch? Disgusting, but hilarious!

vCash
    I also think this is the beginning of Don climbing out of the downward spiral. Not only did he look impeccable "the day after," and asked Peggy to keep the door open for him, he also took a moment to hold her hand and acknowledge all that had passed between them the night before. In the past, his MO had been what he'd told Peggy in the previoulsies: to move on and forget it ever happened. He was like that with Allison, he was like that after his brother committed suicide. But this time, he showed to Peggy that he not only processed Anna's death (seemingly in a healthy way), but also that he appreciated sharing with Peggy and appreciated her sharing her stories with him.

I have some reservations about the ep (I don't think Duck would really be as crass as he was portrayed last night), but it was an awesome episode. Hope Hamm and Moss get the Emmy nods they deserve for it!

vCash
    Ah, but maybe it will be the opposite. Peggy asked what I've been asking for a while now: "how long are you gonna go on like this?" Last night's episode left me thinking that Don will start to make the climb back up now that Anna is at peace and he's opened up a bit more to Peggy. He did have Peggy leave the door open at the end of the episode. I think he's back. We'll see.
    Totally agree - I guess what I should have said was that her death would be the tipping point. I think the open door says it all.

"The Suitcase" - One of my favorite MM episodes. Against the backdrop of the Liston/Ali (Clay) fight, the parallels were a tad obvious, but I didn't mind. I loved seeing Don and Peggy's relationship deepen - while going through ups and downs in a very short night. I was holding my breath to see if she'd reveal that Pete got her pregnant, but it's much more believable that she didn't. And having her there when he finally made the call to CA seems to be a passing of the torch - Anna to Peggy. The only 2 woman who will ever understand Don.
    Again - agreeing with you. Someone over at EW commented that they weren't sure it was The.Best.Episode.Ever., as many were claiming, but that after the way the season has been going, it provided the catharsis that we all needed/wanted.

Kudos to Weiner for the pacing of this season. As viewers, we were in a downward spiral just like Don, but this episode pulled us all up. Just in time.

I watching the two of them listen to Roger's tapes. I want to read this book!
    I loved that! Roger's Dr. Evans comment has now been solved. I also got a kick out of Don not liking the Samsonite pitch with the elephant - since that and the gorilla - were two famous Samsonite commericials.

vCash
    Oooh, Betty is soooo not over Don. Interesting.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

vCash
    Last night was another great episode. Jon Hamm is really bringing it this year. Definitely deserves an Emmy. I loved seeing him be honest with himself without going on a bender. And then there was Joan and Peggy providing an interesting dynamic into the emerging women's movement.

Random thoughts in general about the episode:

1) Don is finding clarity via swimming. A cleansing, if you will. But the smoking-induced coughing was ever present. Nice touch.

2) I laughed at his writing a journal of more than 250 words. And heartbreaking that one of his goals to find a modicum of control over his feelings.

3) So glad that he asked Dr. Faye out. Even happier when he resisted taking her to bed (for once in his life). I'd like to see him explore a mature relationship.

4) I LOVED Bethanny's reaction to Betty. "What? HER?".

5) I just realized that the actress playing Mrs. Blankenship was the mother in The Karate Kid. Loved her, "I was blind, but now I see...Roger"

6) And even funnier was seeing Don literally bring an elephant in the room! Was the point of Aesop's fable what made Don decide to come to the party and just be nice and easy-going, rather than make a scene?

7) Not sure what to make of Betty's look while watching Don play with baby Gene. He was so loving with the baby, and I couldn't quite read her expression. Longing? Seeing Don in a new light?

8) The Peggy/Joan dynamic was certainly in keeping with the times. Women often were more at odds with each other than with their chauvanistic male counterparts. I really don't see what other option Peggy had. I was glad to see her make a stand. And her reward was being viewed as humorless and earning Joan's criticism.

9) Is Henry finally getting a clue that he rushed into things with Betty? About time.

10) Nice shot of Sally half-heartedly waving to her dad. God that birthday was depressing!

11) I couldn't decide if his watching Peggy drink in his office was about longing for a drink, or seeing Peggy head down the same path of relying on alcohol as a crutch.

podcast mistress
    vCash
    6) And even funnier was seeing Don literally bring an elephant in the room!
    OMG! I didn't catch that!

vCash
    ....8) The Peggy/Joan dynamic was certainly in keeping with the times. Women often were more at odds with each other than with their chauvanistic male counterparts. I really don't see what other option Peggy had. I was glad to see her make a stand. And her reward was being viewed as humorless and earning Joan's criticism.
    The Peggy - Joan dynamic interested me the most in this episode.

They are not that far apart age-wise: Joan is 33. Peggy is 26 IIRC from past episodes. Yet, Joan seems to resent Peggy's ability to compete with the big boys, which was probably a big deal in the 1960s.

Peggy's body language towards the good ole boys harrassing Joan seemed like she felt some 'sisterhood solidarity' with Joan, something that was probably to happen more in the 1970s in the wake of the feminist movement. Yet, Joan seemed angry at her and cared only about how 'the boys' would perceive her / them. Showed a female generational rift [that actually doesn't exist between them]

Or perhaps Joan is simply so stressed out about her husband going into the US Army, and probably ultimately to Vietnam.

podcast mistress
    vCash
    But Joan is more savvy on how to get ahead in some respects.

I love how the writers approach the feminist movement from both angles. Both Peggy and Joan were correct, with two very different approaches.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    OMG! I didn't catch that!
    I did, but not the significance

I'm a fan of the new Don, and I hope he sticks around. I'm also interested to see what happens with Betty and Henry, because his mother hates her and doesn't know why they got married and Henry seems to have realised that Betty isn't over Don...

Meanwhile, was there a mistake? Betty said that she was 6 months pregnant when she first met Henry, but I happened to watch that episode yesterday and she both looked and insinuated that she was a LOT further on in her pregnancy than that. Not important though, really.

I liked Peggy's act of solidarity and disliked Joan's response, but they both have a point and Joan does know how to deal with the boys a little better (except for her twit of a husband). I was surprised that she fired Joey though, because they had good chemistry, but I think it's more to do with him ignoring her plea not to draw the picture and refusing to apologise. Peggy fired him because she was annoyed at not being respected, not because of what he did to Joan.

I'm more intrigued about the impact of the Vietnam war than the feminist movement at this stage though, because it's closer. I wonder if any of the boys will go or be sent there? And if they'll come back?

vCash
    I'm sure that some of Joan's reaction to Peggy goes back to the fact that Peggy was originally subordinate to Joan. Remember Joan doing all that great TV work, but being bypassed for the job? I'm sure that she sees Peggy getting the respect and promotions that she wants (even if she doesn't quite realize that).

As for any of "the boys" going to Vietnam - maybe, but fairly unlikely - since they are white and have $$. They might get drafted, but I doubt any of them will be in harms way.

vCash
    As for any of "the boys" going to Vietnam - maybe, but fairly unlikely - since they are white and have $$. They might get drafted, but I doubt any of them will be in harms way.
    Eys, but this is a TV show. There has to be drama. Someone is going to get all patriotic and volunteer, or else get drafted and die. There's no drama otherwise!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post

I'm a fan of the new Don, and I hope he sticks around.
    I am too, although realistically I would expect the character to backslide and reboot periodically. Makes for more interesting storytelling.

vCash
    I'm sure that some of Joan's reaction to Peggy goes back to the fact that Peggy was originally subordinate to Joan. Remember Joan doing all that great TV work, but being bypassed for the job? I'm sure that she sees Peggy getting the respect and promotions that she wants (even if she doesn't quite realize that).
    I do recall that, but at that time she clearly did not want what Peggy had. I think you're right that she doesn't realize what she now wants. I believe Joan loved being in that office manager role with a platoon of junior secretaries to enforce her professional standards on with the original agency. But she was also chasing the marriage dream. Now that the marriage dream has turned sour, her work status is more important to her now.

vCash
    I do recall that, but at that time she clearly did not want what Peggy had. I think you're right that she doesn't realize what she now wants. I believe Joan loved being in that office manager role with a platoon of junior secretaries to enforce her professional standards on with the original agency. But she was also chasing the marriage dream. Now that the marriage dream has turned sour, her work status is more important to her now.
    Joan was VERY nice to Peggy when Peggy first got her own office...because her fiance had sexually assaulted her in Don's office the night before. I think Joan reacts to her private life at work. At home, she's submissive (most of the time) so if she's angry, it's at work where they feel it.

vCash
    I thought this episode was beautiful. It's so gratifying to see Don finally addressing some of his demons honestly. I love the irony of Roger - who is the least introspective person in the galaxy - is dictating a book, which he assumes will be read by his millions of adoring fans, while Don, the most closeted person in the MM-verse, is writing out his thoughts privately. I cheered every time he declined a drink and for his support of Peggy.

And finally, ZOMG Francine! I love Francine! I wish she'd had more lines with Don, though it's great to see her again

The Peggy-Joan dynamic was the other big intrigue of the ep for me. The guys treat Peggy - more or less - as one of the boys; with the exception of Pete previously and Stan perhaps in the future, they see her as essentially desexualized. But they see Joan very much as a woman. Since she's such a sexy siren, some guys are threatened by her and so knock her for her "lowly" position in the obvious. She's not dumb and she's not happy with that treatment. And, as you guys already mentioned, she realizes that she's in a bad marriage, so I think she's starting to realize that she's not happy at work or at home - and I think she's a bit jealous of Peggy for being able to be a) professionally successful and b) single. Which is interesting bc I think Peggy would love to a) get more respect at work and b) be in love with her equal!

Anyway, this ep hit really close to home for a lot of reasons and Jon Hamm really sold it and after 3 seasons of kind of hating Don Draper, I'm LOOOOOOOOOOOOVING what the writers and JH are doing with him right now. 4 stars!

vCash
    Jon Hamm on The Daily Show

vCash
    A moment of silence please for the Queen of Sexual Perversions - our dearly departed Mrs. Blankenship.

Although we only just got to meet you a few episodes ago, you made an indelible impression. You will be missed.

And to Sally, the unsung pioneer of "Take Your Daughter to Work Day". Though you need to work on your presentation a little.

Off to eat some rum-dipped French Toast!
    Last edited by Bostonfan; 09-20-2010 at 01:49 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast