vCash

Question Would this maybe work? Am I too tall?

Hi! I have decided I would like to try pairs and it would be great if I could find a partner and compete in it. Anyways, a couple days ago, I was notified of some news to do with one of the pairs teams at my rink - the boy dumped his partner.

Anyways, before I get into it any further, maybe you should first know some background info, to help you better understand.

The top skaters at the rink where I train are 2 boys and myself. We are all at about the same level and then below us there is really no one. Anyways, both boys were also doing pairs too. However, both were doing it with partners that, (let's just say in my opinion, were not strong enough even singly to be doing pairs with either of these boys.) Both these boys have clean double axels and are working on making their 3S and 3T's more consistent. Their partners on the other hand, had only a single axel, 2S and possibly 2T and were weaker just overall in their skating.

By watching their pair practises together, I can see why the boy dumped his partner because it was very boring and frustrating for him because his partner was so much of a weaker skater than him. Also, he is a hard worker (like I am) and doesn't like to fool around, but his partner was more of the social type and often likes to stand around and 'diddy dottle.'

Anyways, him and I (and the other pairs boy too) have the same coach (who coaches both pairs and singles) and I would really like to give pairs a try and I think this boy would have no problem working with me - I am at about the same level as him and am a strong singles skater and take my skating very seriously (don't fool around), we also skate a lot together and have group lessons sometimes together, so are pretty comfortable/get along with each other fine.

However, the only problem is my height. I am almost as tall as him. (I mean I'm not taller, but we are pretty close in height.) I'm 16 years old and am about 5' 4" and he's about 15 and about a couple inches taller. Now, I am a bit tall, but I am light weight and have a very small build. My coach (who has coached lots of successful pairs teams) has said that I should be a pairs skater, so doesn't think my heights a problem, I guess.

Anyways, the boy will get taller, as he is about a year younger than me, but I guess what I was really wondering was if you think it would be a problem with us being almost the same height? Like I said, it will probably only be for a bit, until he gets a bot taller, but what do you think?

I have seen quite a few pairs teams (especially at the Intermediate/Novice levels) where the the girl is almost as tall as the boy and it doesn't seem to be a too much of a problem, but I wanted to knows what you thought?

Let me know. All comments/replies/responses greatly appreciated. I will reply and follow the tread, (so your posts won't be for nothing.)
    Thanks,
    Kaylee

In the middle of a hair war with Alena Leonova.
    vCash
    Sounds like you should just try to skate together, at least a few times, see how you two feel and what your coach says, rather than have us who can't see through the internet give advice. Sounds like a good opportunity!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintuple View Post
    Sounds like you should just try to skate together, at least a few times, see how you two feel and what your coach says, rather than have us who can't see through the internet give advice. Sounds like a good opportunity!
    Hi! Yes, I guess your right about that. (Your also definately right about how it's a great opportunity, epecially with there being so few boys and so many girls.)

Now, I'm just wondering about how I should bring it up to my coach, that I'm interested in pairs and would like to give it a try. (After that, I would then see what she thought of the boy and I trying some pairs stuff together.)

I mean she is nice and everything, but I'm a bit shy and am not sure how to bring it up and sort of get the conversation started. Any suggestions (from yourself, or others)?
    Thanks,
    Kaylee
    (pet_lover48)
    PS: Keep the comments/suggestions/responses coming. They are greatly appreciated!

vCash
    Does your coach read message boards? I mean, you have this discussion going on several of them, and have given us enough information that I think it would be fairly easy to figure out who you are if I were your coach. Maybe she already knows!

Seriously, I think you're overthinking this. Just tell her, and the guy, that you're interested in trying. What's the worst thing that can happen? One or the other of them could say they don't think it's a good idea, for whatever reason. But even if this pairing doesn't work out, at least your coach will know you are interested.

vCash
    I would say go for it! Although the height difference is not that much, if he does grow, that should not be too much of a problem (maybe for some of the lifts at first, but that is why you have to atleast have a tryout to see how it works out). In addition, being a relatively taller female pair skater may actually help with the line and matching aesthetic.

Definitely talk to your coach first, every coach and skater should have a good relationship so that really shouldn't be a problem, and then from there see where it goes. Perhaps she will talk to the boy's coach about it, but who knows, however, letting your coach know first is important!

vCash
    Hi! Great news everybody!

My Dad and I spoke to my coach today and she agrees I should do pairs and is going to have me try some lifts and stuff with her pairs boy (the taller one that already has a partner) and then we'll take things from there.

She also said there's a boy coming from Ontario (who she will be coaching) who does pairs and will probably be needing a partner.

Anyways, I'm really excited I'm going to get to give it a try.

Thanks again for everybody's comments/suggestions/reponses. They are really appreciated!

I'll keep you posted on how things go.
    Thanks again,
    Kaylee
    (Pet_lover48)

vCash
    Yay, that's exciting! Tell us how it goes!