Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I wanted to like the Travis/Nick/Teddy piece A LOT more than I actually did

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    I just went to SYTYCDism to see if they had the rest of the numbers (I swear I'm not trying to vote for Jose! - i'm looking for Adechike's #)...
    I would have given all the numbers to you but I haven't watched the show yet. I got tweeted Lauren and Roberts numbers and I thought you might figure out the rest by know those two.

I voted for Alex and Billy and since my boys were out people were trying to get me to vote for Lauren and Robert. I'm so not a fan of Robert's movement so I was not trying to get you to vote for him. I do like Lauren and she got my votes.

Right now I would love for Jose to go this week and for Robert to go next week so I'm wanting them both in the bottom this week with Billy. Billy will probably leave this week but I want there to be that chance Billy will stay.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Oh, I appreciate it I couldn't figure it out because the solos started after Lauren and Robert danced and I wasn't sure how that would affect things. No worried - I voted a bunch for Lauren
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

In the middle of a hair war with Alena Leonova.
    vCash
    I also think Robert is just sloppy with his feet and knees. His leaps were horrible, and his partnering moments in the samba were bent over and static. He comes across like Evan Lysacek does to me - unsexy and arrogant. Someone said last week, "How can someone who looks like him NOT know how to look sexy?" True. Also, Robert always seems slightly off-rhythm to me.

Jose is so sloppy and lethargic and needs to go. That whole paso was criminal. It's like Adechike (even though I don't think he's that great either) had to look expressionless and sloppy just to match.

Before tonight started, I said, "Well I guess Kent is the front-runner." But not after that! A monologue during Vegas week about how he'd bring up ratings, aye? Totally hideous in the step number, and the Sonya number was forgettable. Solo - outdated and trite.

Lauren's definitely the strongest contender left. I'm not over the moon excited with her, but she has impressed me in such a range of dances.

Billy is/was the best *pure* dancer left, and he too has adapted and looked beautiful in so many styles, but there's something about his non-performing personality that I don't think endears him to the voting public. Personally, I think it's the small things adding up, like his scuzzy chin during rehearsals and squeaky voice. Those things shouldn't matter, but they don't give him a ... "definite" ... presence one way or the other. I actually like him better than Alex in many ways, but I can see why he hasn't gotten the votes.

I hope Jose, Adechike, or Robert are dropped in favor of Billy.

vCash
    I don't think the part about Kent giving a speech in Vegas was true, I think that was just Adam teasing him.

vCash
    Based just on last night, I would give Kent the boot over Jose. I had to turn off the piece-of-whatever "step" thing as Kent looked like a kid trying to keep up in Simon Says. Jose's paso was terrible, but his non-dance and solo were better than Kent's mugging and blah solo.

I really liked Chike and Lauren last night. Robert was decent as well, but a bit too rubbery in the piece with AS Lauren and missed a lot of the connections and preparations in the samba.

Rooting for a Jose/Kent bottom two. Either can go and we can keep Billy.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LordCirque View Post
    I don't think the part about Kent giving a speech in Vegas was true, I think that was just Adam teasing him.
    This is the impression I got as well.

vCash
    It will be interesting to see if Billy is able to continue with the competition. He is a wonderful dancer, but even if he continues I think his days may be numbered because he doesn't seem to be popular with the voting audience.

If anyone else goes home this week, I hope it Jose. A lovely boy, however he lacks the skill and has gone about as far as he can go without more training...

I LOVE Lauren and Kent. My prediction is that one of those two will be the eventual winner. I enjoy Robert and I think Adechike is very talented, but needs some time to mature. I would vote for Lauren or Kent to win - both have grown tremendously this season and both are wonderful dancers.

vCash
    Oh, and can I say how much I love the allstars - it has been so much fun to watch Allison, Twitch, Neil, and Lauren again - they are amazing!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LordCirque View Post

I'd also be interested to know what kind of warm ups, if any, are given in these rehearsals, or if the dancers are responsible for warming themselves up prior to rehearsal. If they are responsible for warming themselves up, I'll bet some are going into rehearsals cold or virtually cold, at some points, and that could account for injuries as well.
    If the dancers warm up themselves, without guidance from the choreographers/experts in that dance style, there's also the danger that if they do warm up, they warm up incorrectly. I was thinking of that re: Alex and that flexed foot jump pattern that he injured himself on. The style he was dancing was so different from what he was used to. If he's used to ballet style, and if he warms up as he does for ballet, and then is given movement that's contrary to ballet, I'd think the risk of injury could be there. The warm up, no matter how well done, could be insufficient, because it's warming up the wrong muscles/movement.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Well, the flexed foot jumps Alex got hurt on are very similar to another kind of jump done regularly in Ballet. Generally speaking, warm ups are warm ups and will genre cross over in genres. I'm guessing he sped through his warm up process before the dance that day, although you can be completely warm and just have shit happen.

I'd say the danger of the dancers warming themselves up is more them just not being thorough enough and speeding the process along, IE stretching a little and using part of the rehearsals to finish warming themselves up.

If I were a betting man, I'd definitely make a gander at saying that the root of Alex's injury was probably insufficient stretching/warm up.

vCash
    I'm going to throw myself on the fire by suggesting that maybe Billy's injury was psychologically induced. It's a real physical injury, but perhaps he subconsciously made it happen.

He had a look on his face last week like he was just over the show and ready to go home. I would guess he hoped Ashley would be able to dance on and he could leave.

We'll see tonight, but I won't be surprised if Billy takes himself out of the competition. Nigel will say, "Billy has decided he cannot risk further injury."

Earlier in this thread people theorized that the additional rehearsal time is leading to the injuries. I would think the opposite. With an extra day (remember, last year they moved the tapings to Tuesday from Monday) they would be less rushed and be able to pace themselves. If they did the opposite, practiced even more, then it's up to the producers to set some limits, not only for practice but also for complexity from the choreographers. I understand the choreographers pushing the dancers, but sometimes it looks deliberately dangerous just for the sake of sensationalism. Some of the lifts, especially in ballroom routines, are bs.

There were certainly injuries in past seasons -- Jessica's ribs, Noelle's knee, Ashleigh's shoulder and fainting Jessi. It does seem x10 this year. Hopefully the producers will find a remedy.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pixie cut View Post
    I'm going to throw myself on the fire by suggesting that maybe Billy's injury was psychologically induced. It's a real physical injury, but perhaps he subconsciously made it happen.
    I disagree that Billy looked like he wanted to go home last week, or that he subconsciously made the injury happen...but I admit when I saw that he and Kent got the Step piece I thought "no wonder he wants to take the extra time to rest his knee" Seriously, I think Billy would have made Kent look like a Step Master in comparison.

These are professional level dancers (except Jose). They all should know how to warm themselves up adequately. I'm guessing that there is tremendous pressure on them to dance full out all the time, and the extra days are being used to throw more complicated and difficult choreography on them, and to make sure the pieces are as polished as possible.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    They don't have an extra day to rehearsal. They begin choreography on Sunday. It used to be Friday. They have a day off or do media on Friday, group choreography and dress fittings on Saturday work with the Choreographer on Sunday and Monday, camera blocking on Tuesday, dress rehearsal and performance on Wednesday, group dance rehearsal and result show on Thursday.

Also the contestants have limited time with the all-stars compared to follow contestants. The choreographers are creating very challenging routines because they are working with a pro and because they are trying to out do each other for Emmy and Nigel praise but on such short practice time and the stress of competition it's adding risk potential to the contestants. Ashley hurt her ribs in her routine with Ade because she had to do that death leap with a partner who she didn't have a lot of practice time with. It was accomplished more on his strength then timing.

Also Billy didn't psychologically create his injury. He's not that way. What probably has happened is that he saw Alex have a potential career ending injury and he's not taking any chances. He's being extra cautious. But also he couldn't fully or at all practice his routines (because of the sore knee and the time at the doctors) that he has such a short time to perfect anyway. What's the point of risking serious injury when you aren't prepared. Especially giving that you have an unfamiliar dance that isn't likely to get the audience. Billy doesn't truly need SYTYCD but he does need his body. And last week Billy was aching for Ashley and not because he wanted to go home.

And no way would Billy suck worse then Kent in that step. Billy's issue isn't that he doesn't physically commit to the movement but that he focuses more on getting the movement perfect to the determent of getting the character. In dances that you have such limited time to learn and perfect learning the character of the dance is what you have to do if you want to succeed on the show. You're not going to learn technique in this short amount of time. You learn choreography and character. Billy's training has taught him to learn technique first and that step was about movement and Billy would have been fine although definitely not good.

moving right along
    vCash
    I'm with Pixie Cut. I think Billy will take this 'opportunity' to withdraw from competition. It would be a face saver. He wouldn't be out for lack of viewer votes, he'd be leaving on his own terms.

I so did not understand the judges fawning on Kent last night. I thought both his partner dances were crap. The step routine was especially bad, but I also hated the other thing he danced. And I agree with those who are distracted by his expressions...the O-faces he pulls are annoying.

Robert in that samba tank top...

Lauren impresses me more and more. She embraces so many forms of choreo and does them justice. She got a lot of votes from me last night.

The highlight of the night: Adechike and Comfort. Wow. A great piece of theater, great dancing, and a fab partnership. It was interesting to see Comfort really commit to a piece that revealed emotion instead of swagger. They were both amazingly good together.

vCash
    Ugh. Not a good week. I really missed Alex and Billy.

Overall, Robert was my favorite of the night, but I didn't totally love him.

Jose is a joke. One of his dances was mostly sitting and the other one sucked.

Adechike had my favorite solo of the night, but his dance with Jose was so poorly done, and not just by Jose. His other dance may have had Adechike in tears, but the dancing didn't draw out the same emotion in me.

Lauren's hip hop was good, but I didn't she was that great in her dance with Robert and her solo wasn't all that interesting to me.

The pimping for Kent was ridiculous. I've seen real stepping, and his was not good. Not nearly sharp enough. His solo was meh. And I'm with Mia. I'm tired of the Kent grin or eager look in his dances.

If Billy gets the boot, I think I'm going to find myself rooting for Lauren or Robert to win.

vCash
    If Billy gets the boot, I may skip the rest of the season.

Kent is obviously the chosen one and will get no meaningful criticism no matter what he does. I'm not sold on Lauren; I think she relies too much on "cute" and "hot" rather than actually getting into the character of her dances, except for the hip-hop she did with Dominic. I liked Robert's dancing last night for probably the first time. And Jose, Jose, Jose... someone get the boy a modeling contract, but the dancing is just not up to snuff.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

vCash
    I wondered if Alex's and Billy's injuries were connected to the genres. Alex's was clearly from the Bollywood and the step routine looked like it would be really hard on the knees. And I think back to the Bollywood fiasco in Twitch's season.

I know nothing about dance, so this is pure conjecture, but I do wonder if the show should reconsider the choice of non mainstream dances or at least the level of difficulty of those dances. I like seeing new/unusual styles, but I'd prefer to see healthy dancers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    Jose is a joke. One of his dances was mostly sitting and the other one sucked.
    I totally agree. I also think there's something odd about Jose, like his elevator doesn't go to the top floor. Maybe he's just a sensitive boy and professional criticism is new to him. Maybe he's very immature. But he doesn't only seem outdanced he seems out of it.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Got to watch most of it last night, although we'll watch the whole show tonight. I continued to enjoy Robert. Yes-he's not perfect by any means, but everything he dances, he seems to give his all, and he has a wonderfully flexible torso. I love his long lines and his broad shoulders.....I won't say he's the best dancer up there, but I seem to always go to him, especially in group dances. I didn't see his solo last night, and I agree he isn't a good soloist!

I respect Mia. I respect her choreography most of the time. But boy-am I sick to death of her comments! It's like she has no original idea. She repeatedly, every single show, gloms onto whatever Adam or Nigel just said and "reaffirms" their opinion. I just find her incredibly unlikeable and fake. And mean. Come back, Mary!

LC-I agree with you about the Travis-Nick-Teddy video. Of course it was a fabulous setting and they're fantastic dancers, but it really felt emotionally empty. Like even when they related to each other in dancing, they weren't reaching. Very introspective-but there's nothing wrong with that. Love the concept though-dancing silhouettes!

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast