vCash

Getting used to multifocal contacts

FSU is such a wealth of information...

I just got new multifocal lenses -- how long should I expect to take to adapt to these things? They're soft lenses, and from what I've read that means the dual prescriptions (near and far) are throughout the lens.

Any advice or knowledge out there?
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

Beach Bum
    vCash
    I am interested in those too - if you don't get any info, let us know how your transition goes!
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    My experience with multi-focals - Let me first say that I have a high level of astigmatism, and they have not yet perfected a multi-focal lens for asigmatism, so I just have to use the regular multi-focals.

I love the upclose capabilities, but for me, the distance vision is not the greatest. I've tried many different brands and have had numerous vision tests, but they were all basically the same. I can see out of my no-line bifocals much better for distance- but I hate wearing glasses! After many visions screenings and trying to get the contact prescription just right, I finally "settled" for a pair and they are just okay - I wouldn't drive with them if I weren't familiar with where I was going because of the lack of distance vision.

I've also been told I have early stages of cataract formations in both eyes, so that may be part of the problem. Plus, The optician finally told me that I may just not be able to wear contacts any longer.

vCash
    For me, the vision for both near and far isn't perfect. Sooo, I go from wearing multi focal lenses them to returning to using only the distance lenses and reading glasses.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    It usually takes people a few days to adjust to multifocals, just as it does with no-line bifocals.

If you stare at a computer screen all day, it's important for your eye doctor to know that, because you may have more trouble adjusting. My husband tried multifocal contacts of different types, then switched eye doctors and was told that people who work with computers all day often can't wear multifocal contacts at all. His problems were compounded by allergies, which caused his eyes to be dryer than most, another problem for contact lens wearers.

If you've never worn contacts before, you will have a longer adjustment period than if you were a contact lens wearer already.

And sometimes, you have to try different types of lenses before you find the ones that work.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    I got multi-focal contact lenses recently and really love them. I now only wear reading glasses when I am doing a ton of small screen computer work or when I am reading something small, am very tired and want a little boost. Readers are usually not necessary.

My multi-focal lenses took no time at all to get used to regarding my vision. I could see perfectly both near and far as soon as they went in. The adjustment period was because I had old-fashioned contacts that my doctor said were like Saran wrap over my eyes. The multi-focal lenses are made of some kind of highly gas permeable stuff that is supposed to be much better for my eyes. Because of that, my eyes burned a little for a few days because more air was hitting them -- the discomfort was pretty much gone in a week. I persevered through the minor burning because in the end, these were supposed to be better for my eyes. Unless they discover something bad about these lenses, I'd never go back to the single focus ones.

Good luck with your lenses! Hope you like yours as much as I do mine.