Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

Seattle Getaway Tips/Ideas

Hello All,

This boy is in serious need of a quick weekend getaway, I thinking about going to Seattle. I've been in the airport, but never into the city heh, it's only about an hour flight from me and it looks like a pretty cool city to visit. The only thing I really know is the Space Needle. I'd be on my own, I'm a young single 23 year old gay guy. I'd be looking at staying downtown I think.

I'm looking at flying in on a Thursday night and flying home on a Sunday afternoonish kind of time.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could do for shopping/exploring/clubs? Any places that I have to check out? Avoid like the plague?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Kyle

vCash
    When are you going? Seattle Pride Parade will take place on Sunday, June 27th, starting at 11:00 am, from the corner of Union St. and 4th Ave. It will last approximately 2 ½ hours and should take about an hour to go from the start to the end.

http://www.seattlepride.org/parade.php

Capitol Hill of course is a must visit for ya.

Farmer's Market is a tourist trap that everyone must visit at least once.

Don't forget to bid a nice 4 star hotel using Priceline.

vCash
    I love Seattle.

My favorite touristy thing that I've done in Seattle is the undeground tour:

http://www.undergroundtour.com/

If you like Native American art, check out some of the galleries and the art museum.

Pike Place Market and that area is generally on everyone's list of places to visit in Seattle. Easy to visit if you're staying downtown.

There are lots of microbreweries and small clubs. You may want to look and see who is playing the weekend you're there and choose accordingly. I would also think that there's a web site for gay visitors to Seattle.

Don't miss out on the great seafood. Consider taking a ferry. And, if you enjoy the outdoors, rent a car for the day and go for a hike in the Cascades.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kylet3 View Post
    Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could do for shopping/exploring/clubs? Any places that I have to check out? Avoid like the plague?

Broadway/Capitol Hill is a must for you since you are a young, single, gay male. There are plenty of gay clubs, cafes, shops, that line Broadway and it is Seattle's 'Gay Neighborhood'. Lived there with my partner for 3 years and it is a friendly community and even though there are junkies lining the streets at night I have never felt threatned there at any point.

Belltown, Central District and South Seattle can be pretty shady during the night and although they are not L.A dangerous I generally tend to avoid those areas after nightfall. Bellevue of course, is scary in a totally different way.

Pike's Place Market of course most people know about, but you will get a better deal for fresh produce and fruit to snack on at the neighborhood farmer's markets .

vCash
    Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the tips, keep them coming!

I don't actually drive so I won't be renting a car and I'm looking at going for 3 days mid July, we actually just had our pride parade here and June 27th is the Daytime Emmy's so I won't be going anywhere But yeah, seafood maybe not so much my thing but I know there's still lots to do. I probably won't go too too far though, just to explore around Seattle itself. The gay neighborhood sounds cool so thanks! Also looking at doing some shopping and general exploring. Any trendy/nifty areas to visit?

Thanks,

Kyle
    Kyle

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    I love Seattle.

My favorite touristy thing that I've done in Seattle is the undeground tour:

http://www.undergroundtour.com/
    Seconding this. The underground tour is one of the most interesting, bizarre, funny and fun tourist activities I've even done.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Hi Kyle - I live in Seattle (in Capitol Hill of course! ). Many of the suggestions have been good! I'd add -

Don't bother renting a car for such a short trip. Take the light rail from the airport to downtown (should cost $2.50, unless the price went up). Once you book your hotel you can figure out which is the best downtown stop to disembark. If you end up staying in Cap Hill, you can still take the light rail and then a bus up the hill. It's very easy (and anyone who pays for a cab to/from the airport is getting majorly ripped off)!

There is an area in downtown where all buses are free until 7pm every day. It can be a little funky figuring out what the boundaries are, but this is a great resource.

Capitol Hill is a must. Clubs you should check out are:
    RPlace
    Neighbors
    The Cuff (leather bar, but friendly to all)
    Re-bar (is actually on the edge of downtown)
    Rosebud Cafe (a restaurant but worth seeing)
    The Lobby Bar (it's new, haven't been but looks nice)
    CC Attles (bear bar)
    Martin's Off Madison
    Pony

The junkie content had gone way down

There's a great park in Cap Hill called Cal Anderson Park which is great for people watching. Volunteer Park is a bit further out of the way (still on the hill) but also has fab people watching (and it's a rather cruise-y place if you're into that kinda thing).

Downtown, I highly recommend the Olympic Sculpture Park. It's free, and it should be stunning in the middle of July.

Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    The junkie content had gone way down
    Really? That's good to hear, but they did add an element all there own to Seattle's vibe. I guess it's been 4 years() since I moved from Seattle, but its good to hear some of my old haunts are still around.

vCash
    If you're into a cheap romantic thrill, take the Seattle-Bainbridge Island ferry near sunset. There is not a whole lot to do in Bainbridge at night. You can just take the same ferry back to Seattle. But the view of Pudget Sound and seeing Seattle near sunset. Aww...

What kind of shopping are you looking for? Actually, where are you coming from? That will help us to give you advice on where to go to get what you want. If you're from a big city, there is no need for us to give you advice to go to the mall or chain stores.

vCash
    I'm coming from Edmonton so big city but I'd be looking at doing both. We have something hear called Whyte Avenue which is a strip that goes for blocks and has all kinds of neat shops, clubs and restaurants, shops and clubs but if there are any bigger malls downtown I'd like to check it out briefly if possible.

Is capitol hill near downtown? Does it take long to get to by cab or the train? As for clubs and so called cruising areas that is most certainly not my thing. I'm still mending a broken heart anyway. If there are any more normal/trendy clubs and pubs I'd certainly like to check those out. I'm pretty open to suggestion. I just need to get away and clear my mind for a while but I'd like to keep busy as well.

The markets sound pretty cool so I will most assuredly go check those out. Keep the ideas coming if you have any more! Thanks again
    Kyle

vCash
    I love Seattle.
    I enjoy the touristy stuff like:
    The Space Needle, Ferry, Aquarium (awesome!), Pikes Place, the lake, eating seafood, the Arboreatum (sp).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kylet3 View Post
    Is capitol hill near downtown? Does it take long to get to by cab or the train?
    Cap Hill is immediately east of downtown - a 10-15 minute walk (up the hill), or there are numerous buses. Seattle doesn't (yet!) have an in-city train system, other than the light rail between downtown and the airport.

Should also be a cheap cab ride - but know that catching cabs on the street is harder here than in a lot of other cities. Shouldn't be difficult to catch one at your hotel, though, if you want to cab it up.
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    I enjoyed the Experience Music Project museum.

vCash
    Ah well that's good to know thanks for Genevieve! I live in Edmonton and catching cabs here isn't all that easy I think if I have a cell phone I'll be ok, I don't plan to go to any suspcious or seedy areas so I'm hoping I won't have too many problems. I'm used to walking (I usually walk like a bat out of hell lol). So I'm sure that's an option, I can't wait now, It will be good for me to get away.
    Kyle

vCash
    Hi All,

I've booked my trip! I'm flying in July 15 at night and coming home Sunday July 18. I think I will still have lots of time to check out stuff because I get in at 6:45 at night so I may down that night to the Markets and do a little bit of shopping. I can't wait now! I'm going to Seattle! If anyone can provide me more advice that would be great!

Thanks,

Kyle
    Kyle

vCash
    I also forgot to mention I am staying at the Red Lion INN on 5th Avenue, does anyone know what station I would get off from the airport?

Thanks,

Kyle
    Kyle

vCash
    I've found catching cabs fairly easy in Seattle (I'm from Calgary, Kyle), and the city is very walkable if you're staying downtown. The hotel I usually stay at when I travel for work is near Pioneer Square, and I've walked from there to Pike Place and EMP. I've ridden the bus once or twice, and discovered that you pay when you get *off* the bus, and leave through the front door.

If architecture interests you, definitely check out EMP, and the downtown library. Make sure you find the "red hall" (4th or 5th floor).

vCash
    Probably the University Street station is closest (3-ish blocks, it looks like), although if you go all the way to Westlake (last stop) it's pretty similar.

If you get off at University, exit the light rail tunnel on 3rd, go east (away from the water) up to 5th, take a left, and the hotel will be between Union and Pike St (very close to Pike Place Mkt - nice!).

ETA: you only pay the bus fare when leaving if you are going away from downtown. If you go to another neighborhood and take the bus back, you pay as you get on like in normal cities

vCash
    I went to Seattle last year for a couple of days and I really liked it. When my friends and I went to the Experience Music Project (first) we bought the Seattle CityPass voucher - if you have a Costco membership you can buy it in Canada for $58.99 (or $59 USD at the EMP). This includes:
    - the Space Needle
    - Pacific Science Center plus IMAX® Theater
    - Seattle Aquarium
    - Argosy Cruises Harbor Tour
    - Woodland Park Zoo
    - The Museum of Flight OR Experience Music Project and Science Fiction Museum

We did all of them except the Museum of Flight and the Woodland Park Zoo. We also walked downtown and went to Farmer's Market. I would have liked to have gone on a more leisurely pace, but I was only there for less than two days.

When I went to LA I used the Go LA Card. There's also a Go Seattle Card.

Lainerb, what's wrong with Bellevue? I stayed at the Red Lion Inn there. It was nice, but there was something about it that rubbed me the wrong way.

vCash
    Everything is wrong about Bellevue

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast