View Poll Results: Who should replace Yuna at GP events?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • Joshi Helgesson

10 8.06%
  • Jenna McCorkell

6 4.84%
  • Amanda Dobbs

24 19.35%
  • Alexe Gilles

12 9.68%
  • Kristine Musademba

10 8.06%
  • Elena Glebova

10 8.06%
  • Min Jung Kwak

47 37.90%
  • Amelie Lacoste

10 8.06%
  • Myriane Samson

5 4.03%
  • Diane Szmiett

1 0.81%
  • Valentina Marchei

22 17.74%
  • Other (C. Lee, Y. Liu, Gizmo, etc)

35 28.23%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash
    * Amanda Dobbs
    * Elena Glebova
    * Min-Jung Kwak
    * Cheltzie Lee

In that order of selection. Obviously Amanda can't be the replacement at COC and Elena can't be at COR, but Dobbs was a 4TH!! at Four Continents and that alone should guarantee a 2nd event and Glebova is already a firmly established name in the international scene. I think they deserve it slightly more than the 2 up and comers who apparently are very very popular in this board

OH and My wishful thinking is a 2ns spot for Valentina Marchei, that girl really deserves a comeback..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymer Bob View Post
    I wonder what would be better, giving second spots to girls who already have one, or first spots to girls who don't have any.
    I'm all about spreading the wealth, so I'd prefer for someone like Cheltzie to get the nod!

But they may want to give it to Yuna's countrywoman, Min Jung Kwak.
    Last edited by Cheylana; 07-20-2010 at 07:12 PM.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    I voted for Marchei, because I felt bad that she beat Carolina last season and Carolina still got the Olympic spot. She deserves SOMETHING.

vCash
    I don't think any Americans will be invited to Russia because they still have grudges about Plushenko's "stolen" gold . Joshi Helgesson is the obvious choice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    I'm all about spreading the wealth, so I'd prefer for someone like Cheltzie to get the nod!

But they may want to give it to Yuna's countrywoman, Min Jung Kwak.
    How about one for each! I think that's the best situation. Then Cheltzie gets a GP and Min Jung gets a 2nd and one of the American girls who only have 1 assignment will get to go to SA so pretty much everyone's happy. Ideally, I'd sent Cheltzie to CoC, Min-Jung to COR, and Amanda to SA.

vCash
    Min-Jung Kwak and Cheltzie Lee.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee2e View Post
    Can I vote for Michelle Kwan?
    NO YOU CANNOT.

Oh and I want the second spot to go to Marchei.

vCash
    Dobbs for Cup of Russia, and Lee for Cup of China.

vCash
    I would love for Dobbs to be assigned to COR, but another poster brought up the Men's OGM. It's hard to believe the Russian Fed. would go out of their way to help an American Skater. Sad to say, but....

vCash
    I would imagine that the feds would consider costs over something like the men's OGM I mean, if that were such an issue, would the Russian federation have invited the Hubbells, Evora/Ladwig, Simpson/Miller, Abbott, Wagner or Zawadzki?

My guess is that Russia will pick an European skater because it's probably cheaper. Same reason why Canada usually invites the a good number of American skaters.
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

vCash
    Someone had to take the Americans originally. I just don't see RUS freely choosing an American replacement. A European or Asian skater is likely the replacement. And..please. You make it sound as though the OGM fiasco was insignificant. Evan handled the situation well, but the feds' "you are the true champion" left a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

vCash
    I won't get into the whole Evan/Plushy debate because I avoid both of them like the plague, but I'd like to point out that some of these skaters were not entitled to a GP event (Simpson/Miller) or were not entitled to a second one (Zawadzki)
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

vCash
    I'm curious to see Min-Jung skate at the show the next few days, I believe she is performing her new SP in it. If she is looking strong then I think it will help her case to get another GP. She has a lot of potential and I think she deserves a 2nd assignment, so good luck to her. I also think she has a competition in Korea coming up in August so that should also give people an idea of how she's faring.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    I'm curious to see Min-Jung skate at the show the next few days, I believe she is performing her new SP in it. If she is looking strong then I think it will help her case to get another GP. She has a lot of potential and I think she deserves a 2nd assignment, so good luck to her. I also think she has a competition in Korea coming up in August so that should also give people an idea of how she's faring.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tzsb187hI7g

Too bad about the fall on the lutz, and she's still a little slow, but she looks much more finished off and elegant than she did last year. And that's probably the best layback of any of the Asian ladies, including Mao.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ainouta View Post
    And that's probably the best layback of any of the Asian ladies, including Mao.
    Min-Jung has a great Biellmann, not Layback. These are good Laybacks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5p3zrEI7N0 (at 2:25)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq8knstUZls (at 1:54)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoVsFRcxn4A (at 2:57)

Just a few examples.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MikiAndoFan#1 View Post
    Min-Jung has a great Biellmann, not Layback. These are good Laybacks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5p3zrEI7N0 (at 2:25)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq8knstUZls (at 1:54)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoVsFRcxn4A (at 2:57)

Just a few examples.

Compared to Nikodinov, of course not. But compared to, say, Miki or Yu-Na? Definitely. She actually puts her leg into a semi-attitude position!

vCash

Too bad about the fall on the lutz, and she's still a little slow, but she looks much more finished off and elegant than she did last year. And that's probably the best layback of any of the Asian ladies, including Mao.
    Yeah, I agree, she is coming along nicely. The jumps look better, especially the landing edge coming out of them, hard to tell about rotation from those videos but she does look more muscular and less gawky than she did back in the winter. She still has a lot of things to work on but it's only July and by the fall she likely will have improved her expression and speed a bit. Among the other girls in consideration for a second GP, I think she is very deserving. Her ballanchine physique also helps add to her elegance and presence on the ice, and of course the flexibility is quite stunning.

I think COR should give her Yuna's spot. She's not American, she's cute, and she has the build of a Russian prima ballerina so I think she'd be welcome there

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Someone had to take the Americans originally. I just don't see RUS freely choosing an American replacement. A European or Asian skater is likely the replacement. And..please. You make it sound as though the OGM fiasco was insignificant. Evan handled the situation well, but the feds' "you are the true champion" left a bad taste in everyone's mouth.
    Yes, let's rehash that dead horse again.

Russian Fed is not stupid and they would surely not let something like that affect their present decisions.

As with anything, it's probably a case of reciprocation. If we give your skater that vacant spot, what can you do for us?

The lutz went totally wrong and she appears to still be doing the salchow as the off-steps jump.

Flying uprights should be banned.

Choreography is a steaming pile of elephant dung.

I don't get your layback comment at all. It looks quite weak.

But yeah, her movements definitely seem more refined and she is more elegant than last season.

But that was sloooooooooooooooooow. Maybe because of the show size rink and the lighting though?
    Last edited by Ziggy; 07-27-2010 at 12:39 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Yes, let's rehash that dead horse again.

Russian Fed is not stupid and they would surely not let something like that affect their present decisions.

As with anything, it's probably a case of reciprocation. If we give your skater that vacant spot, what can you do for us?

The lutz went totally wrong and she appears to still be doing the salchow as the off-steps jump.

Flying uprights should be banned.

Choreography is a steaming pile of elephant dung.

I don't get your layback comment at all. It looks quite weak.

But yeah, her movements definitely seem more refined and she is more elegant than last season.

But that was sloooooooooooooooooow. Maybe because of the show size rink and the lighting though?
    It's an exhibition, they don't have warm up or anything like that, I wouldn't read too much into it, even Yuna make a lot of mistakes on jumps she normally does so well in exhibition numbers. Plus after Worlds I'm guessing she's working more on fully rotating her triples rather than just landing them, so falling a lot would be expected. Her growth spurt has also probably shifted her center of gravity, so she's done a lot of adjusting.

As for the salchow, Min-Jung lips, so it wouldn't make since for her to do a 3f out of steps because the wrong edge deduction would bring it's value lower than that of a 3sal, which is her best jump. I guess she could do a 3lo instead but that's more prone to being downgraded...

Last season Min-Jung was doing 4 different triples in her programs - lutz, flip (lip), loop, sal - and on the JGP in the fall she was also doing the triple toe so at this point she has a more expansive technical repertoire than Dobbs and Lee, and most of the other people on the list for that matter.

I'm not saying Min-Jung is great, but at this point I don't think anyone else in consideration for a second spot is better than her, except for maybe Dobbs, but if she's still only doing toes, sals, and the occasional flip then I'm not even sure.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    I'm not saying Min-Jung is great, but at this point I don't think anyone else in consideration for a second spot is better than her, except for maybe Dobbs, but if she's still only doing toes, sals, and the occasional flip then I'm not even sure.
    I think Marchei is a better skater.

But then her WS is low, I think.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast