Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HGTV DesignStar

vCash

HGTV DesignStar

The original thread is too long ago.
    Anybody still watching.

So glad Nina is gone. She may be a talented one note artist, but her personality - I would not watch her show.
    In general, both firehouses last night seem predictable. Why make it a man cave? There are women firefighters too! Also the black leather furniture. I would think more calming colors to help them wind down would be good. The team that won did have light blue on the walls which was nice.
    Glad to see Alex shine. He is more of a doer, than a creator.
    Courtland - I like him, and Michael? Tom seems annoying.
    The two teams were a hoot last night - all the cocky folks on one team and they fail.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    So far, I don't see anyone I would really want to watch on their own show.

Um, a crowded room with a black sooty ceiling and charred wood walls with dark drab furniture and a messy workout room. And a WTF corkboard in braille. We had a storm and Direct TV went out so my DVR skipped from the losing team being sent out for the judges deliberation to Nina walking down the street with her bag. I will catch their presentations in a rerun. I did not care for her at all so I was Who was the other one in the bottom?

I didn't love the other room either, but it was a very peaceful color and it was spacious so they'd have room to make it their own. The fireman art had obvious meaning.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Courtland was the other bottom 2.
    Judges were really snarky, best evah imho.
    Courtland stayed because he was better in his tv presentation. Nina was all about her art work, no general intro.
    During one of the commercials, there was some comment about someone winning an online show. Not sure if it is a second prize or ??

Beach Bum
    vCash
    I heard that too. I didn't know what that meant. Maybe they've decided none are worthy of TV and they've converted the prize.

vCash
    Most boring, uninteresting season ever and Clive is greatly, greatly missed.

There is a contest for viewers to vote for one of the designers to get an online show; they did this before in another season. I don't think the winner is picked yet; the show keeps running ads to get the viewers to vote. I could care less.

vCash
    Part of the problem with this incarnation of the show is the team challenges. I think team challenges are OK on Top Chef, but it doesn't work in a design format. Too many people with too many different aesthetics. I haven't seen anything really great come out of the groups. I understand doing it in the beginning for a TV audience because it's too difficult to give 12+ people screen time, but now, it's just annoying.

That and the design concepts are stupid--design a room around a bouquet of flowers that has a cohesive whole but let your snapdragon shine or your plaid shorts shine? Please.

I miss the white box challenges, which really lets them show who they are as designers--and some of them did pretty well on the first challenge, showing a glimmer of promise. The show also needs a host, and the contestants need feedback while the challenge is going on (or, OK, I need to see a mentor. Don't know how the designers feel about it, but don't care either). They also need carpenters so they *can* focus on design--the guy that was eliminated because he did all the construction before Nina was so unfair. That room would have been a mess without him. (REALLY glad Nina the Bad High School Artist is gone, btw.)

There's been nothing done that's really creative either--I want to see them shop at a hardware store or a salvage shop or dumpster dive. This version makes Bravo's Top Design look genius by comparison.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

Beach Bum
    vCash
    ITA, there were some nice results from the first white box challenge, but I haven't seen any of that in the group crapfests.
    If I had enough money to hire a designer and they showed up with a musical instrument or flower inspiration and started talking about clusters and making do it yourself art to go with my color scheme, I would

vCash
    Worst...contestants...ever.

Also glad Nina is gone. Her "b!tch, please" face was getting tired.

Courtland seems to have nine lives on the show. I like how he's a "man's man" but wears shirts that show man cleavage.

The two blondes are interchangeable to me. Michael is forgettable, and got lucky this week. Alex is a hard worker but his lack of experience will hurt him. Tom has these moments of OCD that Courtland references that aren't fun to watch.

I'm just happy "Next Food Network Star" is on too.

vCash
    I throw the mess on the producers - add bad casting and budget reductions and you get this. Meh.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Anyone watch last night. This picking a theme and then incorporating into a group project is getting so old. The results for the losing team - so bad.
    Glad Tom is gone. He would so odd as a host.
    Courtland is getting a winner edit, IMHO. Not sure I care to watch a show with any of these folks. The folks on the winning team are kind of bland, nothing special in their design.

what a glorious day!
    vCash
    Design Star this season is kind of like a train wreck. You can't quite pull your eyes away. It seems the utterly clueless and the b*tchy are those who get the most camera time, which ticks me off.

The best part this week was the judges' recognition of Alex. I've thought he was a great team player all along, but that's not a trait that seems to score points.

vCash
    Not sure what the heck HGTV is looking for. With the real estate bust, their core shows have tanked and there's nothing much worth watching on that network. Unfortunately, the higher ups seem to be insisting that their network is for 30 somethings with serious disposable income and design voyeurs. Hey, HGTV, that philosophy is SO 2000, get with the new reality.

I would see some market for a show with low cost, safe, DIY design tips for folks in older homes. The other real estate reality is downsizing. A show focused on that might find an audience. There's not a single person in this cast who would be credible for either type of show.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

Beach Bum
    vCash
    My power was out Sunday so I will tape a repeat this week. But I read spoilers - I didn't think Tom or Stacy had the "it" factor. Tom was annoying and Stacy was getting away with doing one teeny element like a chair or a lamp and was otherwise flying under the radar.

I watched the end of last week's elimination. I thought Nina's presentation was dull and Courtland's was WTF with the trying to be hip hop cool dude.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    Not sure what the heck HGTV is looking for. With the real estate bust, their core shows have tanked and there's nothing much worth watching on that network. Unfortunately, the higher ups seem to be insisting that their network is for 30 somethings with serious disposable income and design voyeurs. Hey, HGTV, that philosophy is SO 2000, get with the new reality.

I would see some market for a show with low cost, safe, DIY design tips for folks in older homes. The other real estate reality is downsizing. A show focused on that might find an audience. There's not a single person in this cast who would be credible for either type of show.
    Maybe you think their core shows should have tanked, but House Hunters and House Hunters International are still the most-watched shows on HGTV, and have higher ratings--much higher--than when they started. They actually got more viewers AFTER the bust. We watch to dream, imagine, and be voyeuristic. For a while, they did make an effort to not show homes that were more realistic and not fixed up to the nines...and those didn't do so well.

I get what you're saying, but that's not the reason why people watch HGTV. Those that want low cost, safe, DIY design tips in real life to do real projects go out to Home Depot or Lowe's and do it. And personally, I don't want to see professional people being paid to do what I can do at home. I know I've gotten mad at design shows, looked at what they're doing, and said, "hey, I could have done that. Why am I watching people being paid to do what I could do?"

I just think in this season, it's the team concept that's dragging the show down. I understand team challenges towards the end when they do The Dreaded Kitchen Challenge, or if they had an apartment and everyone was assigned a specific room, then it makes sense. But this format doesn't let the designers show what they're capable of, and I fear that this format just gets rid of the strongest voicest rather than the weakest designers. Vern Yip even said it--committee by design doesn't work in his last critique. So WHY are they designing by committee every week?!!! Instead of Vern getting so upset with the Epic Fail of that design team, maybe he should get so upset with the Epic Fail of the format.

As awful as Tom's room was, I understand his POV--you have to do something to distinguish yourself. I'd be frustrated and looking to go bold too, just to say I'd done something. I figure Stacey is a good designer, but not in this format. She strikes me as the very methodical, thorough type who would never be comfortable on HGTV. Their room was awful, but, OTOH, they have no carpenters like they've had in previous seasons, and it seems like they have less time to do everything and they have to spend time arguing with people who don't share their aesthetic. Except for the first challenge, none of these designers have gotten a chance to show what they're capable of doing.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    I have found Property Virgins, My First Home and My First Sale pretty good recently.
    PV and 1st home have a lot of cases of short sales and the dragging of time for the purchasers, which I find valuable. HH seems to have a bit more of it too. HHI is always fun to see homes in foreign countries. I do find I am watching less design shows and more real estate. Selling NY is just so funny - very high end.
    I remember reading somewhere a couple of years ago that HGTV has the highest per capita income viewers of any cable channel.
    Hope they come back next year with a better version of this show. This season really sucks. But I can't stop watching the train wreck.

vCash
    ^^ I wish House Hunters International had more European & Asian/Pacific episodes. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like 70% of the episodes are focused in the Caribbean/Latin America. There's nothing wrong with showing people buying homes in that region of the World, but how about splitting it up a little more evenly? Give me a split closer to 33% Caribbean/Latin America, 33% Europe, and 33% Asia/Pacific?

I enjoy Property Virgins, though I enjoy it much more when Sandra's in the GTA rather than somewhere in the US (I can watch My First Place or the regular House Hunters for that). I love Toronto, so watching her show homes from the different neighborhoods is enjoyable for me.

As for Design Star, I've watched a few episodes this season, but so far I haven't found any of the designers to be interesting enough to make me interested in watching their own show. Original Design Star winner, David Bromstad, is the best. Does anyone know how last season's winner, Antonio Ballatore, is faring in his new show? I wasn't happy that he won over Dan Vickery.
    Last edited by Aaron W; 07-27-2010 at 09:10 PM.

vCash
    All I could think watching this week's episode is how none of these people seem to be in the LEAST bit creative. Why are they on the show if they can't figure out a creative way to re-purpose a scarf and mini taxi cab let alone make a bed? Cut the damn taxi in half and make book ends. Pleat the damn tacky scarf and make a throw pillow. It's not freaking Rocket Science people!

I called Courtland for the win weeks ago when it became apparent he was the only one who's name I could remember. He's for sure getting the winner edit.

vCash
    It would be a travesty if someone who has been in the bottom every single week (or seems like it) won the show.

Courtland has the looks (like Dan from last season) but none of Dan's skill.

Tom had a spazzy presentation that would never have worked on TV, while Stacy had a bit of a lisp and the window treatments were so ugly (btw, if I had the taxi cab, I would've made it into a fridge magnet holding cab/car service numbers into NYC).

If Courtland doesn't win I see the one blonde winning.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by all_empty View Post
    It would be a travesty if someone who has been in the bottom every single week (or seems like it) won the show.

Courtland has the looks (like Dan from last season) but none of Dan's skill.

Tom had a spazzy presentation that would never have worked on TV, while Stacy had a bit of a lisp and the window treatments were so ugly (btw, if I had the taxi cab, I would've made it into a fridge magnet holding cab/car service numbers into NYC).

If Courtland doesn't win I see the one blonde winning.
    Fridge magnet would have been perfect (AND EASY). These designers are a train wreck.

vCash
    The more I think about it, this whole season is making some of the worst people from other season look pretty darn good.
    There has been one good thing this season, some of the negative criticisms are really mean and entertaining. Who knew Vern had it in him. Gen and Candice, not suprised, but Vern has been heavy handed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast