Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

Dubé & Davison training with Doug Ladret

According to Pj: Taking Liberty

Recently, he spent the first couple of days of a weekin Arizona where Canada's pair champions Jessica Dube and Bryce Davison had gone for some additional support from former Canadian pair champion and now coach, Doug Ladret.

Michael said: "The skaters had a great week. They decided that they needed to do something differently in order to move from 6th in the world." He elaborated that that included some great new entries into lifts that he calls "cutting edge" as well as enhancing technique.
    Hallelujah!!!!! Very pleased to hear this.
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

vCash
    Thanks for the link! Wow, that is really exciting news!! Can't wait to see the changes that have been made!

Also, congrats to Annie Barabe on her soon to be new arrival!

INTJ
    vCash
    I think this will be very positive for them. I look forward to seeing a refreshed Dube & Davison!
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." -- Samuel Beckett

vCash
    I just hope they enjoy skating. Really they seemed so "unhappy" to me last year. (Maybe it was just the long program theme, but...)

vCash
    I'm looking forward to seeing what Dube and Davison can accomplish while working with Doug. Maybe I'm hopeful because Tuffy and Doug are one of my all time favourite Canadian teams.

vCash
    Excellent. I'm glad to hear they're trying something new, as they badly needed some fresh input (and I say that as a huge D&D supporter).

vCash
    Thank you for the link. I like PJ's information.
    I am not being nasty but I'm not sure that it is absolutely necessary at this point in the season/cycle, in today's economy, and with available technology for Slipchuck to have to go "monitor" the high level competitors like Chan and Dube/Davison. Lots of $$$ that may be better used elsewhere or saved for when it's really needed. Just an opinion.

INTJ
    vCash
    I understand what you're saying smileyskate, but on the other hand it's still early enough that problems can be addressed without having it negatively impact the season this early.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." -- Samuel Beckett

vCash
    I disagree. You have two entries that are former world medalists. You should always preserve a good chunk of money developing, monitoring and helping those who have the best chance right now to win medals...just as much as you should invest in the pipeline.

If you're Slipchuk and you wait until the season starts to take a hard look at your top horses and you see things that could have improved their chances at a medal and you missed your opportunity to influence it...then...shame on you.

I'm good with it.

And Bravo to ANY skater or team that has what I call a distaste for the status quo. Onwards and upwards...always.
    (Bryce, just pleeeeeeez don't drop the woman. This team just can't handle any more disasters)

vCash
    So is Ladret their consultant, part-time coach, or just someone working with them while their real coach is on maternity leave?

vCash
    Working with someone new is always good. Fresh eyes. But.......what's their music and who's their choreo. That is key too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by loopey View Post
    So is Ladret their consultant, part-time coach, or just someone working with them while their real coach is on maternity leave?
    From the article:

Primary coach Annie Barabe is pregnant so the idea of expanding the team to include Ladret and create additional support made sense for everyone. Montreal is their home base with Ladret coming in from time to time to see them.
    Some where between consultant and part-time coach.

Barabe's pregnancy also partly explains why Shawn Sawyer is semi-coachless this year.

vCash
    I wonder if Phaneuf is adding anyone new to her coaching team..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    I disagree. You have two entries that are former world medalists. You should always preserve a good chunk of money developing, monitoring and helping those who have the best chance right now to win medals...just as much as you should invest in the pipeline.

If you're Slipchuk and you wait until the season starts to take a hard look at your top horses and you see things that could have improved their chances at a medal and you missed your opportunity to influence it...then...shame on you.

I'm good with it.
    I do agree that monitoring is a good thing but it doesn't necessarily have to be done in person with all the technology available now. It would be far less expensive to video the progress and have it monitored via the internet. Isn't this partially how Chan is being coached by Nichol now? I seem to recall someone saying she was monitoring his progress daily via video while he trained in Colorado.

vCash
    Couldn't they just retire instead?

vCash
    Michael Slipchuk is Skate Canada's High Performance Director - it's his job to monitor Canada's top skaters. That includes traveling to where they are training to make sure they have support systems in place to achieve the best results.

vCash
    I hope they can make a huge move back up the ranks this season, esp with all the pair retirements, if D & D don't get it right this year and get own momentum going in the right direction (up) then they may never get back up on the world podium again.

I firmly believe the year after an olympics is a turning point year. This is the time in the cycle that rewards those previous contenders who may have just fallen short the previous olympic year; esp if they step it up a notch, or they can capitolize on previous favs that stay gone, clearing the path for skaters just ranked behind medal retirees. This is the season for those who stuck around for one more kick at the can before calling it a career showing they are now worthy of a golden handshake as final farewell. The newbie skaters who show improvement, and previous cycle name skater's still contending who can also show PTB they are in it to win it in Sochi will definitely set the tone for who judges will support for medals over next 4 years and esp at next Oly games in Sochi... Sure there are always a few who think they can take a year or two off and then make a successful comeback but history has not always been on board with the strategy and with this cycle so rich with developing talent it may show skaters that if you snooze you lose your place at the table.

So I say come out strong early in the cycle and get people on board your train; whatever it takes, new moves, new coaching, choreo, whatever gives you the push, cuz once the locomtive stops it is very difficult to get it rolling again...

So yipee D & D this is the time to make all the right moves, to believe all over again and Ladret may just give them the needed spark.

vCash
    I really wish that they would go to a good "jump" coach to gain consistency with the triple salchow and/or possibly another triple jump. Such a good team - such a shame that they have been so limited by the lack of consistency with those triple jumps.

vCash
    A reliable source says Doug is not going to be their full time coach - he will just be giving them extra coaching.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Regardless of whether he's a consultant, part time coach or whatever, Doug is a fresh pair of eyes and that's nothing but good for Jess and Bryce. That's needed to happen for awhile now and I like who's been brought in.

As for their programs...They're keeping last year's LP aren't they? Thought I'd read that somewhere. Could have even been here.

ITA w/whomever said it up thread....They looked so miserable last season. I really hope I see that happy in love w/skating D/D back out there this year.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast