Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cailuj365 View Post
    Wow, just got back home after watching the movie.

Does anyone remember the scene where Leonardo DiCaprio's in the hotel room and his children call him? All of a sudden, an older child starts talking. I think Leo goes, "James?" at this new voice. The older child starts saying how Grandma says that Leo's never coming back. Then, the young child's voice comes back and starts questioning where Mom is. His children are very young whenever we see them in the movie, which is the last time that Leo saw them. The fact that the children haven't changed in appearance (both in age and clothes) when he sees them again at the end leads me to believe that Leo is still lost in the limbo/dream world. Then again, I may be remembering this scene incorrectly.

:/
    Just saw the movie again. Philipa is wearing different clothes - she has the same dress on throughout, but at the last scene, she's wearing a white t-shirt underneath it.

Also, Leo has his wedding ring on during the dream levels (there's a huge closeup of his hands in the first scene), and in the real world (Mombasa, when they get on the plane), his left hand is bare. Since Leo is not married in real life, this is a detail that I think the director purposely used.

I couldn't see whether he has it on during the very last scene, but that's probably a moment to be freeze-framed when the DVD is released.

vCash
    No, I know. That was my first perception at first too, that we just didn't know how much time had passed since the last time he saw his children and that they could still be very young. However, James is the younger one and he looks no older than 5 during his scenes. The voice on the phone was a boy that was clearly older than 5, much more like a 10-year-old. Then, the voice changed back to a 5-year-old...
    Yeah, time in the dream worlds change at different rates than the real world. All this could have happened within weeks in the real world. During the movie, I was constantly trying to switch back and forth between all the level to remember which scene was happening in which dream and how much time has passed.

Part of the problem with noticing all the little differences like rings, clothes, sounds of voices, etc. is that I always wonder if this is just part of the moviemaking process and not a deliberate part of the plot. (Which, of course, supports the theory that the movie is all dreams because a movie is never reality). When I watched The Sixth Sense, I realized that so many of the clues to the ending were things that I had just written off as part of the movie-making process or poetic license. Like, in the real world, a shrink would meet with his client in an office, but this is a movie, so no big deal.

I'll bet that, at some point, someone is going to write a Ph.D. dissertation on this movie.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    Just saw the movie again. Philipa is wearing different clothes - she has the same dress on throughout, but at the last scene, she's wearing a white t-shirt underneath it.

Also, Leo has his wedding ring on during the dream levels (there's a huge closeup of his hands in the first scene), and in the real world (Mombasa, when they get on the plane), his left hand is bare. Since Leo is not married in real life, this is a detail that I think the director purposely used.

I couldn't see whether he has it on during the very last scene, but that's probably a moment to be freeze-framed when the DVD is released.
    Cool catches! Did you catch the different voices in the phone call or did I *dream* it all up?

vCash
    I think the top was just about to fall when they cut away. Nolan's evil like that.

It's really up to interpretation, but I personally believe that Cobb (Leo's character) is

Spoiler

But that's just what I think. I actually don't believe it matters in the big picture, because the movie is Cobb's story and that he

Spoiler

My initial reaction was that the children wore the same clothes in the final scene as they did in the "Dream Scenes". So I feel like he was still in Limbo.

I don't get why the others didn't wake up on the plane after sinking in the sea. The plane was reality and surely a crash in the water would be enough of a kick to send you right back to base one. Ergo......since we only saw them awake on the plane via DiCaprio (in what I believe to be Limbo), I'm still not convinced any of them woke up.
    Last edited by poths; 07-24-2010 at 01:55 AM.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Cool catches! Did you catch the different voices in the phone call or did I *dream* it all up?
    Honestly, I thought they passed the phone between the brother and sister.

Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    Yeah, time in the dream worlds change at different rates than the real world. All this could have happened within weeks in the real world. During the movie, I was constantly trying to switch back and forth between all the level to remember which scene was happening in which dream and how much time has passed.

Part of the problem with noticing all the little differences like rings, clothes, sounds of voices, etc. is that I always wonder if this is just part of the moviemaking process and not a deliberate part of the plot. (Which, of course, supports the theory that the movie is all dreams because a movie is never reality). When I watched The Sixth Sense, I realized that so many of the clues to the ending were things that I had just written off as part of the movie-making process or poetic license. Like, in the real world, a shrink would meet with his client in an office, but this is a movie, so no big deal.

I'll bet that, at some point, someone is going to write a Ph.D. dissertation on this movie.
    If you stay to watch the credits, there are two sets of children credited. One pair is credited as being 2 years older, so I think if you wanted to put a time period to it, it would have been two years.

Setting is up to the screenwriter, but details like rings and clothes is up to the director. Every movie has "continuity errors" where someone mistakenly resets a scene differently for different takes, which is why you sometimes see jumping hand positions between cuts. But having different voices within a scene or different clothes or a wedding ring on/off doesn't count as a continuity error, those are definitely choices made by the director. Or in the case of a low-budget film, "we didn't have enough time or money to fix it." But you know for a big-budget film like this, with a very thorough director, it's intentional.

Quote Originally Posted by poths View Post
    The thing is, the children were in the EXACT same clothes as the "Dream Scenes". So I feel like he was still in Limbo.

I don't get why the others didn't wake up on the plane after sinking in the sea. The plane was reality, and surely a crash in the water would be enough of a kick to send you right back to base one. Ergo......since we only saw them awake on the plane via DiCaprio (in what I believe to be Limbo), I'm still not convinced any of them woke up.
    Look at my previous post. During the dream scenes, the girl is just wearing a pink jumper, but in the last scene, she's wearing a white t-shirt underneath it. The boy seems to be wearing the same clothes. I think this was intentional to throw the audience off, but if you what to know to look for in subsequent viewings, I think it answers itself.

And in the sedated state they were in, I think they needed a kick in the current level as well as the level above to get them awake. That's why Eames set up the snow fortress to blow up (and Ariadne tosses Fischer and then herself off the building in limbo), when normally the elevator drop in the level above would have been enough.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I forgot to mention in my last post but I was also under the impression that the children passed the phone between each other and that is why we heard two voices. They sounded so similar because little boys and little girls sound almost exactly alike at such a young age.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Hmm, I still think that there were more than two voices on that phone. I actually remember believing during that phone call that Cobb must have had three children until it became clear that there were only two. I read somewhere else the only time the older children were used were for the telephone. Idk. I'd need to go rewatch that scene and listen more carefully.

vCash
    If you stay to watch the credits, there are two sets of children credited. One pair is credited as being 2 years older, so I think if you wanted to put a time period to it, it would have been two years.
    I love that people are now using the credits to analyze the movie. What a great movie.

Setting is up to the screenwriter, but details like rings and clothes is up to the director. Every movie has "continuity errors" where someone mistakenly resets a scene differently for different takes, which is why you sometimes see jumping hand positions between cuts. But having different voices within a scene or different clothes or a wedding ring on/off doesn't count as a continuity error, those are definitely choices made by the director. Or in the case of a low-budget film, "we didn't have enough time or money to fix it." But you know for a big-budget film like this, with a very thorough director, it's intentional.
    I will bet you that there are things that people are using in this movie for their analysis that the director never intended to be used or to be used in that way. And I do think that, in a movie this long, with this much information and this much detail, it really is possible to make a small mistake or not to realize how some viewers will interpret some things.

It could be that there were other reasons why the director had the children wearing the same clothes. I'm not sure why he would keep the same dress on the little girl, but add the t-shirt. If she's grown older, then she no longer would fit into that dress. Maybe they wanted us to think that it was a different day, but not much time had passed?

vCash
    1) Watanabe died from his gunshot wounds in level 1 in the van, sending him to "limbo" (where you have trouble distinguishing dream from reality) because he was still under heavy sedation.
    But the thing is he did not die in level 1. He was shot in level 1, they pulled him through to level 2 and then to level 3 and he died guarding the entry to the final safe room. So he basically went from level 3 to limbo. Which kind of does not explain why he has aged to drastically. Compared to DiCaprio's character, who followed him up relatively quickly.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I think we saw Leo in limbo right after he got there but Watanabe had been there for years and years. Remember, time compounds itself as you go through the levels. So if Leo got there a few minutes after Watanabe, it could have been years in limbo time as we were already 3 levels deep.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Watanabe died in all three levels. You could see him bleeding in all of them at different times. But as he was originally shot in level 1, that is the level he actually died in. He had no actually wounds in the other two, but he was coughing up blood and the like.

vCash
    I just saw this and it was fantastic. I loved it. I don't want to analyze it too much because I'm worried I'll find a hole in it and then I'll be disappointed.

And great casting, man. They were all awesome. Marion Cotilliard kicked all sorts of ass. Tom Hardy: yummy. I have never seen him before but I'll certainly look for him now. And it was great to see Ellen Page with Joseph Gordon Levitt. I feel that's a quirky indie-film pairing waiting to happen.

One more thing: I'm always surprised at how much I end up liking Leonardo DiCaprio. It's like I got stuck feeling about him the way I did after Titanic (which is: he's not that hot and he's totally overrated). And then I actually watch what he's doing now and he's just impressive. I still don't think he's that hot, though.

Great movie.

vCash
    This whole discussion on the movie is the exact reason why I was disappointed with the film. The storyline is soooo convoluted that by the end of the film I could have cared less what happens. As a director I find Christopher Nolan all style over substance. With that being said I did think the acting was very good. I always love Leonardo DiCaprio and if you ask me he more than any other actor right now is "owed an oscar" by the academy. Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Ellen Page were also very good in this.

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    Rather simplistic, didn't make me impressed with the ending. At that point I didn't care about cheap gimmicks, I just wanted the damn thing to end.

Yes I understood why the shoot'em ups, but I don't think they had to be constant to make the point. Better yet the whole thing could have been conceived differently, but obviously shoot'em ups sell so we go the shoot-em ups.
    I agree the shootemups were an overkill and the ending twist was a tad gimmicky. There were some really cool moments though esp with the anti-gravity feel in dream level 2.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    So, the pawn that the architect made would behave differently in reality versus a dream? Hmm.
    Yes, and her pawn was weighted so that if she knocked it over in reality, it would always fall a certain way. In dreams, it would fall over any old way.

I couldn't understand half of what Ken Watanabe was saying. It made the beginning verrrry confusing. I didn't realize his accent was that thick.

Tom Hardy! I love him from The Virgin Queen (BBC movie). And he was all cheeky, too. I also loved Joseph Gordon-Levitt. Ellen Page was a little too earnest, though.

In my head, the top falls. It even started to wobble a bit before the scene cut to black. Does that make me an optimist?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimena View Post
    One more thing: I'm always surprised at how much I end up liking Leonardo DiCaprio. It's like I got stuck feeling about him the way I did after Titanic (which is: he's not that hot and he's totally overrated). And then I actually watch what he's doing now and he's just impressive. I still don't think he's that hot, though.
    We were discussing his career on the car ride back, and basically figured that 80-90% of his movies are just plain awesome. Catch Me If You Can? Great. Gangs of New York? Great. Blood Diamond? Great. The Departed? Great. Aviator? Great. I haven't seen Shutter Island or Revolutionary Road, but even aside from those, that's a huge long string of really great movies.
    Last edited by vesperholly; 07-25-2010 at 05:37 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    I haven't seen Shutter Island or Revolutionary Road, but even aside from those, that's a huge long string of really great movies.
    IMHO Shutter Island is a pretty mediocre movie (coming from Scorsese and all), a sort of paint-by-numbers story about asylum on an island, which covers pretty much all possible cliches. DiCaprio is Ok in it, I guess, but overall impression is just poor.

But he was phenomenal in Revolutionary Road. I still cannot quite believe that neither he nor Kate Winslet were nominated for Oscars for their performances in it.

vCash
    Kate Winslet wasn't nominated for that because she was already nominated for lead actress for The Reader (and won, finally.)

Leo is definitely up for an Oscar at some point. He's definitely been in almost entirely fantastic movies. Shutter Island was boring and mediocre and I wasn't a big The Beach fan but I can't think of anything else he did that wasn't fantastic.

vCash
    DiCaprio's Back Catalogue. I've highlighted all the one's I've seen and rated them out of 10. Conclusion? He has been in nothing but exceptional movies ranging from the dramatic, moving, gripping to the kitsch, frivolous and fun (MITM, Catch Me If You Can) and highlights what a pointless exercise the Oscars awards ceremony truly is. Yes, one day he'll win Best Actor, but, for something that isn't even is good as his perfromance in, say, The Departed. How many times have people won Oscars as a 'they deserve it for their body of work'- such as Ingrid Bergman who won for Murder on The Orient Express!!! WTF! and wasn't even nominated for Casablanca or Notorious. It REALLY pisses me off and is ultimately insulting to the actor. If I was Di Caprio, I wouldn't have attended that piss party after his 10th snub, c. 2005.

# Inception (2010) .... Cobb 8/10
    # Shutter Island (2010) .... Teddy Daniels 8/10

# Revolutionary Road (2008) .... Frank Wheeler 9/10
    # Body of Lies (2008) .... Roger Ferris
    ... aka "World of Lies" - Japan (English title)
    # Blood Diamond (2006) .... Danny Archer 9/10
    # The Departed (2006) .... Billy Costigan 9/10
    # The Aviator (2004) .... Howard Hughes
    # Catch Me If You Can (2002) .... Frank Abagnale Jr. 9/10
    # Gangs of New York (2002) .... Amsterdam Vallon - hate this film, but he was the only good thing about it)
    # Don's Plum (2001) .... Derek
    # The Beach (2000/I) .... Richard 7/10

# Celebrity (1998) .... Brandon Darrow
    # The Man in the Iron Mask (1998/I) .... King Louis XIV / Philippe 8/10
    # Titanic (1997) .... Jack Dawson 7/10
    # Marvin's Room (1996) .... Hank 9/10 (He was amazing in this!)
    ... aka "My Room" - Japan (English title)
    # Romeo + Juliet (1996) .... Romeo
    ... aka "William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet" - USA (complete title) 7/10
    # Total Eclipse (1995) .... Arthur Rimbaud
    # The Basketball Diaries (1995) .... Jim Carroll 9/10
    # The Quick and the Dead (1995) .... Kid 8/10
    ... aka "Quick & Dead" - Japan (English title)
    # Les cent et une nuits de Simon Cinéma (1995) (uncredited) .... Un acteur muet à Hollywood (complete version)
    # The Foot Shooting Party (1994) .... Bud
    # What's Eating Gilbert Grape (1993) .... Arnie Grape 8/10
    # This Boy's Life (1993) .... Tobias 'Toby' Wolff 9/10

vCash
    DiCapriod and Winslet both have ridiculously excellent back catalogs. They are certainly the two greatest actors of their generation, in my humble opinion. Winslet's win for The Reader definitely felt like one of those "well, she deserves to get it at some point" wins, when I absolutely think she should have won right at the beginning with her flawless performance in Sense and Sensibility. DiCaprio could have won so many times as well, especially for The Departed (wasn't he nominated for Blood Diamond instead that year??) or for Catch Me If You Can, which is still one of my absolute faves. And my God, his performance in What's Eating Gilbert Grape was phenomenal.

On the run from cholla's vibrating cleavage
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by poths View Post
    If I was Di Caprio, I wouldn't have attended that piss party after his 10th snub, c. 2005.
    Especially after showing (well, almost: bloody lighting) his pecker and pretending to top David Thewlis in "Total Eclipse" I mean, other actors only need a prosthetic nose to get an Oscar. Seriously though, Di Caprio is a very good actor. Unfortunately, many of the movies he appears in are just mediocre. But then, great acting in a great movie won't automatically win you an Oscar. Al Pacino and "The Godfather" anyone? The guy eventually won for "Scent of a Woman", how ridiculous is that?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast