Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post

Spoiler

Yes, I got that. Rather simplistic, didn't make me impressed with the ending. At that point I didn't care about cheap gimmicks, I just wanted the damn thing to end.

Shoot 'em ups are fun. I likes me a good heist movie. For a more direct explanation,

Spoiler

Yes I understood why the shoot'em ups, but I don't think they had to be constant to make the point. Better yet the whole thing could have been conceived differently, but obviously shoot'em ups sell so we go the shoot-em ups.

Do you need the spoiler tags? Anyone who opens this thread has to know they are going to be spoiled.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    And anyone who wants a crazy/awesome deep analysis of what Inception might actually mean, there's this article I just read:

http://chud.com/articles/articles/24...ION/Page1.html
    Anita18, thanks for that link! I really like the explanation provided within. The comments are actually great too. One of them points out that when Leo needs a mercenary (the forger) he goes to Mombasa and finds him in a barroom - just like in the Warren Zevon song "Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner" (lyrics). So if you believe the theory that the whole movie is a dream by Leo's character, then this is a case of Leo's subconscious populating the dream with situations heard about in songs - a nice subtle clue

...an acquired taste
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    I just wanted the damn thing to end
    Ditto. Couldn't get out of the theater fast enough.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    Do you need the spoiler tags? Anyone who opens this thread has to know they are going to be spoiled.
    I don't know. In other forums we're still doing them for our international friends.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I thought Nolan did a really good job of portraying dream elements - sudden switches of scene with no explanation and conversations just continuing along, scenes starting up in the middle of a convo. And that zero gravity scene in the hotel (even though it was caused by what was happening to the dreamer one level up) was amazing and portrayed how "swimming" through air feels in my dreams. But yeah, nothing really fantastical happened.

I mean, it's not like anyone was chased by clowns
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    I don't know. In other forums we're still doing them for our international friends.
    The title flat out says spoilers within, so I'd say no spoiler tags are needed.
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Owen Glieberman wrote a piece in which he confesses not to understand the movie:

http://movie-critics.ew.com/2010/07/...-didnt-get-it/

I admit to having the same kind of confusion he had, but I still think it's a cool movie.

Someone actually came up with a chart for the various "reality" and dream levels:

http://www.cinemablend.com/images/ne...1279559876.jpg

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    Someone actually came up with a chart for the various "reality" and dream levels:

http://www.cinemablend.com/images/ne...1279559876.jpg
    That's cool (and helpful)!

Demon Barber
    vCash
    My questions:

1) What is going on w/ old Ken Watanbe and young Leo, saying come back and be young w/ me. Obviously a dream, but why would Ken's character want to be old? When is this occurring? (I lost track on how many levels he was dying btw.)

2) I'm assuming with question #1 DECADES have past since all the action. However, they all wake up in the plane at the same time? How does that work?

3) Do they all recognize each other after getting off the plane? Mainly Cillian Murphy's character vs the rest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Village Idiot View Post
    My questions:

1) What is going on w/ old Ken Watanbe and young Leo, saying come back and be young w/ me. Obviously a dream, but why would Ken's character want to be old? When is this occurring? (I lost track on how many levels he was dying btw.)

2) I'm assuming with question #1 DECADES have past since all the action. However, they all wake up in the plane at the same time? How does that work?

3) Do they all recognize each other after getting off the plane? Mainly Cillian Murphy's character vs the rest.
    Okay I'll give up on the spoiler tags now.

1) Watanabe died from his gunshot wounds in level 1 in the van, sending him to "limbo" (where you have trouble distinguishing dream from reality) because he was still under heavy sedation. This was shortly before Leo drowned in the van, also sending him to limbo where Watanabe was. An important aspect of the dream levels is that length of time is compounded the deeper you go, so you could spend 50 years in limbo when only minutes have passed in reality. This is apparently what happened to Watanabe.

2) They all wake up in the plane at the same time when the sedative wears off.

3) Cillian's character may have recognized them from seeing them in first class, but it's shown that people who aren't trained for dream extraction have trouble remembering what went on in their dreams. He may not have recognized the people as being in his dream, and even if he did, he may have attributed it to the fact he was just sitting next to them before he fell asleep.

Now what is a bit unclear to me is why Cillian wouldn't recognize Watanabe on the plane, since they're heads of seriously competing companies. But...whatever.

vCash
    Now what is a bit unclear to me is why Cillian wouldn't recognize Watanabe on the plane, since they're heads of seriously competing companies. But...whatever.
    LOL, a most excellent observation!

vCash
    Why the spoiler tags, when the thread title makes it obvious not to come into the thread unless you want to read spoilers?

vCash
    I enjoyed it for the most part, although I kept laughing every time they showed the shot of the smiling sleeping people in the falling van--it just struck me as hilarious. One friend described the movie as "The Matrix on steroids."

We couldn't stop debating the end--the whole theory being that if you died that many layers deep, you wouldn't get out of the dream but be stuck in limbo forever (remember how they kept trying to keep Saito alive?). So if Leo and Saito shot themselves, how is it they survived? dh's theory is that the other dreamers had already woken up while Leo/Saito were in the last scene, and they administered an antidote to the sedative, so then Leo/Saito just had to kill themselves in each level and boom, they wake up.

I noticed the Edith Piaf song being the "kick" music, but hadn't noticed (my friend pointed this out) that the actress playing the wife had also played Edith Piaf in "La Vie en Rose."

And, just because it kept bugging me throughout the movie:
    Separated at birth: Ellen Page and Linda Cardellini

Also agree with those that the movie was incredibly loud and perhaps a bit heavy on the shoot-em-up factor (men in my viewing group said "but it's video game violence, so it's not real," which caused me to roll my eyes. . . ). Call me an old fuddy-duddy, but I thought this should have been rated R, not PG-13, just for the excessive violence and bloodletting.
    Last edited by LilJen; 07-21-2010 at 04:13 PM.

Demon Barber
    vCash
    1) Watanabe died from his gunshot wounds in level 1 in the van, sending him to "limbo" (where you have trouble distinguishing dream from reality) because he was still under heavy sedation. This was shortly before Leo drowned in the van, also sending him to limbo where Watanabe was. An important aspect of the dream levels is that length of time is compounded the deeper you go, so you could spend 50 years in limbo when only minutes have passed in reality. This is apparently what happened to Watanabe.
    So how do you get out of limbo? With the same kicks required to get out of a level? I couldn't really figure out what the diff btwn limbo and a level were except that limbo is much more fragile.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I saw it last night and really enjoyed it. It wasn't that confusing to me but maybe because I went in knowing I had to pay very close attention or maybe it is just because I am so confused I don't even realize I'm confused at all.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    We couldn't stop debating the end--the whole theory being that if you died that many layers deep, you wouldn't get out of the dream but be stuck in limbo forever (remember how they kept trying to keep Saito alive?).
    I think it wasn't how deep they were but how powerful the sedative was, and figured by the time Saito and Dom shot themselves the sedative had started to wear off. Although the powerful sedative was to get them that deep, so maybe it's 6 of 1, half a dozen of the other...I do think that was one of the points that was a little glossed over

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    Also agree with those that the movie was incredibly loud and perhaps a bit heavy on the shoot-em-up factor (men in my viewing group said "but it's video game violence, so it's not real," which caused me to roll my eyes. . . ). Call me an old fuddy-duddy, but I thought this should have been rated R, not PG-13, just for the excessive violence and bloodletting.
    I actually thought that The Dark Knight should have been rated R due to Two-Face alone (and the general tension around Joker), but thought that Inception was fine. Then again I'm perfectly okay with gun violence, it's knife violence that gets me

Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    I think it wasn't how deep they were but how powerful the sedative was, and figured by the time Saito and Dom shot themselves the sedative had started to wear off. Although the powerful sedative was to get them that deep, so maybe it's 6 of 1, half a dozen of the other...I do think that was one of the points that was a little glossed over
    Yeah, that's what I thought as well. When you're in limbo, you already can't tell the difference between dream and reality anymore, so you don't know that you have to die to get out of there....

vCash
    Wow, just got back home after watching the movie.

Does anyone remember the scene where Leonardo DiCaprio's in the hotel room and his children call him? All of a sudden, an older child starts talking. I think Leo goes, "James?" at this new voice. The older child starts saying how Grandma says that Leo's never coming back. Then, the young child's voice comes back and starts questioning where Mom is. His children are very young whenever we see them in the movie, which is the last time that Leo saw them. The fact that the children haven't changed in appearance (both in age and clothes) when he sees them again at the end leads me to believe that Leo is still lost in the limbo/dream world. Then again, I may be remembering this scene incorrectly.

:/

In any case, I thought this was a fantastic movie. I don't think it's really that confusing. The details fly by really fast, but the concept was still clear and intriguing enough. All of the actors were so good, and the visuals were so well done and well timed. Nice. Leonardo DiCaprio and Cillian Murphy were already favorites of mine, and after "500 Days of Summer" and now this, Joseph Gordon-Levitt is becoming another fave. This totally shattered my lasting perception of Ellen Page as a pregnant teen too. This seriously kicked Avatar's ass (maybe not Toy Story 3's though). While I loved Avatar while watching it, I definitely had the sense that the story was simplistic, unoriginal, and heavy-handed in its themes afterward. While Avatar's plots are probably more accessible because of those traits, I liked the fact that Inception kept me thinking afterward.
    Last edited by cailuj365; 07-23-2010 at 04:55 AM.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I also noticed that the children were still very young when he finally got back to them. However, they never once mentioned how long he had been on the run so it could have literally only been a matter of weeks since his wife's death or it could have been months. Either of those would allow me to believe that the children still looked the same. If it had been years then clearly he was still in dream world/limbo but we will never know.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I also noticed that the children were still very young when he finally got back to them. However, they never once mentioned how long he had been on the run so it could have literally only been a matter of weeks since his wife's death or it could have been months. Either of those would allow me to believe that the children still looked the same. If it had been years then clearly he was still in dream world/limbo but we will never know.
    No, I know. That was my first perception at first too, that we just didn't know how much time had passed since the last time he saw his children and that they could still be very young. However, James is the younger one and he looks no older than 5 during his scenes. The voice on the phone was a boy that was clearly older than 5, much more like a 10-year-old. Then, the voice changed back to a 5-year-old...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast