Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    what a glorious day!
    vCash
    Depending on the excerpt, I write like:
    1) David Foster Wallace,
    2) Cory Doctorow, or
    3) Dan Brown.

I'm still laughing over the results for the Bible. Bram Stoker?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SceneIt View Post
    Isaac Asimov
    Me, too.

vCash
    I got James Joyce 2x and David Foster Wallace.

I'm not really found of either James Joyce or David Foster Wallace, so I'm going to choose to believe it's because those are the defaults, and my writing is so profoundly originaly (and profound), it had no where to go besides factory settings.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    I used two creative writing excerpts that I wrote and I got Stephen King, then I used an English essay I wrote and I got Chuck Palahniuk. I then used a short Poli-Sci homework assignment and got Cory Doctorow. Then I used a longer Poli-Sci assignment and got David Foster Wallace. I'm gonna analyze all of my papers now to see who else I am.

LMAO. I posted 3 paragraphs from an old Harry Potter fan fiction I wrote and I got JK Rowling.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    The two fiction entries and a post: Kurt Vonnegut
    A sales letter I wrote: David Foster Wallace
    Grading comments to student: J.K. Rowling PML!!!!
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Biographical excerpt came up Stephen King.
    Business stuff Cory Doctorow.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
    I tried three different snippets from blog posts, and apparently I write like David Foster Wallace....(off to wikipedia to see who the hell that is)....who apparently got such a kick out of writing he committed suicide at the age of 46....good to know I've got a few good years left!
    I write like him too -- at least when I'm writing a cover letter for a resume! I need to find my master's thesis...
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    I used my most agitated long post ever. I got Dan Brown. Someone sells books writing like that?
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Chuck Palahniuk.
    I didn't even like Fight Club!

vCash
    Jack London

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I write like J.K. Rowling, lol I used a couple of paragraphs from a school paper from last semesters linguistics class. I doubt there is any real science to this.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    1) First FSU post: Dan Brown;
    2) Second FSU post: David Foster Wallace;
    3) Third FSU post: Cory Doctorow;
    4) Forth FSU post: James Joyce;
    5) Fifth and the most shortest FSU post: P. G. Wodehouse.

After that I decided that I'm talented enough, and should really start working on the next ever best seller book about the Big Brother 12US, since all of my posts came from this thread.

vCash
    Two random entries gave me Raymond Chandler and Stephanie Meyer.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Various Legal analyses and legal emails: Cory Doctorow

FSU posts: David Foster Wallace
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    I submitted a few snippets of technical documentation and got Cory Doctorow.

An e-mail that I sent to a good friend got William Gibson.

Now this one's funny... I submitted an e-mail that I had to send to the hockey director at our rink about an altercation that I witnessed between a hockey player and ref during league night. I described things like "spitting blood" and "spitting in face". I used words like "altercation", "witness", "face shield", "police", and "assault". Apparently that's a lot like Stephen King's writing.

vCash
    Weird.... never thought it would be these...

Texts with prose resulted in these.

Letter to a friend about European travels and "Onegin" last winter at La Scala
    I write like:
    Jane Austen

A recap of some-one's life in a letter to a friend.
    I write like:
    Kurt Vonnegut

Poetry resulted in these (but I am not sure computer recognized it's poetry)

I write like:
    Vladimir Nabokov

I write like:
    Lord Byron

This "test" is sort of a joke right?

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinami Amori View Post
    This "test" is sort of a joke right?
    I don't think it's a joke, exactly, but I would guess it works by calculating the Gunning Fog Index or (more likely) the Flesch-Kincaid Readability formula to find a range of authors, and then matches specific authors in that range by matching word use.

I don't know that for sure, but that would be my guess. I know that my general writing usually has a readability score somewhere around 60 most of the time, which I think is about what Vonnegut's is.

ETA: Just checked and Vonnegut and Rowling both come up between 60-70 on the Flesch scale, so I would bet that has something to do with it.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I don't think it's a joke, exactly, but I would guess it works by calculating the Gunning Fog Index or (more likely) the Flesch-Kincaid Readability formula to find a range of authors, and then matches specific authors in that range by matching word use.

I don't know that for sure, but that would be my guess. I know that my general writing usually has a readability score somewhere around 60 most of the time, which I think is about what Vonnegut's is.

ETA: Just checked and Vonnegut and Rowling both come up between 60-70 on the Flesch scale, so I would bet that has something to do with it.
    That is indeed most interesting. Had no idea that such measures of evaluation existed (Flesch-Kincaid and similar).

In that case, a question: These formulas are, so to say, based on “various quantities”. Both Vonnegut and Rowling fall between 60 and 70.

But then what makes one poster to be linked to Vonnegut and the other to Rowling, if both posters and writers are in the 60-70 range?

Both authors have very different styles. Could “style” be a factor? How can one measure “style”?

I won’t even try to list all the differences in Rowling's and Vonnegut's writing styles, AND the events in their lives which affected their styles; and the fact that Vonnegut’s “subject-matters” and “styles” noticeable changed and I can’t say the same about Rowling.

Are there any respectable tests to evaluate "style"?

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinami Amori View Post
    But then what makes one poster to be linked to Vonnegut and the other to Rowling, if both posters and writers are in the 60-70 range?

Both authors have very different styles. Could “style” be a factor? How can one measure “style”?
    Style is a factor according to the little blurb, but it would measure "style" in the sense that English teachers use the word rather than what most people mean when they say style, which is what English teachers call "voice."

"Voice" is the personality that comes through in the writing, and that can't be measured with something like this tool; "style" is a technical term having to do with structure and usage, and that can be measured to a point.

I would say that it asseses the following:

Paragraph length--Vonnegut writes short, choppy paragraphs much of the time, Rowling rather long ones.

Passive/Active Voice--I suspect Rowling uses passive voice more often than Vonnegut.

Formality (things like use of contractions, slang, conjunctions at the beginning of sentences, strict grammar usage versus more casual grammar usage, etc.)--I believe Vonnegut writes more informally than Rowling.

All of those things can be checked using Word--well, I'm not sure if you can still check formality using Word, but you could with the last version--so I'm sure that all of those things can be checked instantly with this tool, which may very well just use Word and a little add-on that checks word use, since I think that comes into play, too.

I don't know that I would say that Flesch-Kincaid and the like are respectable--not that they aren't, but at best they supply a ballpark estimate of reading level. For example, when you hear that the IRS instructions or US newspapers are written at the fifth grade level, that level was determined using Flesch-Kincaid. But the average fifth grader would struggle to understand the IRS forms while being able to read the eighth/ninth grade level Harry Potter books. That sort of thing isn't as easily measured.

And before someone snarks about it, newspapers being written at a fifth grade reading level does not mean that general public cannot read at more than a fifth grade reading level. A fifth grade reading level is supposed to be so clear and easily understood that the reader can absorb information readily, almost instantly. It is not intended to dumb anything down, but rather to communicate information as quickly as possible. Most newspapers now follow the USA Today model, which was deliberately designed to be read during the average subway/train commute (20 minutes, I think? It's been a while).

vCash
    With my last post here, I write like George Orwell...well...poor George !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast