Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash

Skaters who move countries

There are examples of U.S. skaters representing some of the smaller Asian nationals, and getting invited to international events sooner than later, or Tanith Belbin moving from Canada to skate with Ben Agosto.

However, there are other instances where a skater does worse, like Yulia Soldatova moving from Russia to Belarus.

What others are there who did better or worse making the switch?

vCash
    Slightly OTT, but when I saw this thread title I had a vision of a skater carrying a country on their shoulders, like Atlas with the earth....or an entire country cheering a skater's program because it thrilled them so
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Slightly OTT, but when I saw this thread title I had a vision of a skater carrying a country on their shoulders, like Atlas with the earth....or an entire country cheering a skater's program because it thrilled them so
    There's always one.

Thanks for the laffs!

vCash
    Samuel Contesti!!! So much better for Italy than he was ever given a chance to be for France!!!

Yuko Kavaguti competed for Japan with a Russian and then tried a brief move to the US and then you had her move to Russia where she is now a two time worlds bronze medalist.
    Last edited by caseyedwards; 07-17-2010 at 06:25 AM.

vCash
    mervin tran is asian-canadian but represents japan

vCash
    Ksenia Makarova has less competition in Russia than she would in the US, so that works out nicely for her. She probably would not have competed in the Olympics had she still been skating for the US.

vCash
    Tatiana Volosozhar (Ukraine -> Russia)
    Alyona Savchenko (Ukraine -> Germany)
    Julia Obertas (Ukraine -> Russia)
    Konstantin Tupikov (Ukraine -> Poland)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RockTheTassel View Post
    Ksenia Makarova has less competition in Russia than she would in the US, so that works out nicely for her. She probably would not have competed in the Olympics had she still been skating for the US.
    Well...at the moment she doesn't because the best girls are all still so young, but in a couple years once most of the young promising girls are old enough for senior championships, they may pass Ksenia.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RockTheTassel View Post
    As far as I remember Ksenia Makarova does not have the USA citizenship. So she certainly wouldn't compete in the Olympics had she skated for the USA.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by divan View Post
    Tatiana Volosozhar (Ukraine -> Russia)
    Alyona Savchenko (Ukraine -> Germany)
    Julia Obertas (Ukraine -> Russia)
    what's with Ukraine giving up their best pairs' females for other countries? Are they really that much not able to find them fine Ukrainian partners? and why is it so? why can Ukraine produce such marvellous girls and no guys for them? It's not that I want to offend Ukraine or anything, I actually think this country managed to give birth to two most talented and gracefull girls in pairs, Aliona and Tatiana, I'm just wondering why it's giving up on them so easily and let them gain trophies for other countries. But well, Ukraine, you can definitely be superproud of your girls

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mia joy View Post
    what's with Ukraine giving up their best pairs' females for other countries? Are they really that much not able to find them fine Ukrainian partners? and why is it so? why can Ukraine produce such marvellous girls and no guys for them? It's not that I want to offend Ukraine or anything, I actually think this country managed to give birth to two most talented and gracefull girls in pairs, Aliona and Tatiana, I'm just wondering why it's giving up on them so easily and let them gain trophies for other countries. But well, Ukraine, you can definitely be superproud of your girls
    2/3 of those marvelous girls skated with Morozov. Generally Ukraine can't produce an ice rink, nevermind partners