vCash

1700's Ship Found at WTC Site

This is too cool for words - an 18th c ship was found today during excavations on the World Trade Center site:

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20..._interstitial/
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    I saw this on the news this morning. Very cool.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Here's another link as the one above didn't work for me - http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38254110/ns/us_news/

I wonder why it wasn't found when they build the WTC.

Not summer :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Here's another link as the one above didn't work for me - http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38254110/ns/us_news/

I wonder why it wasn't found when they build the WTC.
    It said in one of the articles that particular area wasn't excavated when the original was built.
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

JEWELS.
    vCash
    Here's a great article about the Viele Map, which shows the original and filled-in topography of Manhattan.

And a link to a large version of the map.

Banned Member
    vCash
    I just read this...how cool is that! More history of the US and my favorite era the 18th century!
    Without fear you cannot find courage

vCash
    Very cool! I wonder why they can't halt construction until the ship has been excavated, however. Surely they could work on another part of the new building during the excavation, right?

JEWELS.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazpacho View Post
    Very cool! I wonder why they can't halt construction until the ship has been excavated, however.
    It's probably an issue of and related construction delays. Construction schedules are complex and dependent upon other steps being completed within the allotted timeframe. Contractors get bonuses for finishing work ahead of schedule and penalties for late completion in some contracts.

vCash
    Very cool! I wonder why they can't halt construction until the ship has been excavated, however. Surely they could work on another part of the new building during the excavation, right?
    It doesn't seem to matter if they stop construction or not. The archaeologists said that as soon as the ship was exposed to air, it began to degrade extremely quickly. There's little, if any, time - it's been protected by the gloopy mud for 200+ years, and now that it's up in the air, it's already going. They said that they were glad that it was raining yesterday - the sun would have made it degrade even more quickly, and the rain and clouds gave them a bit more time to document it. They've been rushing around the thing and measuring it, documenting it as it basically dissolves. They hope to retrieve it, or what they can of it, by end of day today. They think they won't be able to get any large portions of it out intact, but they're trying.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    It doesn't seem to matter if they stop construction or not. The archaeologists said that as soon as the ship was exposed to air, it began to degrade extremely quickly. There's little, if any, time - it's been protected by the gloopy mud for 200+ years, and now that it's up in the air, it's already going. They said that they were glad that it was raining yesterday - the sun would have made it degrade even more quickly, and the rain and clouds gave them a bit more time to document it. They've been rushing around the thing and measuring it, documenting it as it basically dissolves. They hope to retrieve it, or what they can of it, by end of day today. They think they won't be able to get any large portions of it out intact, but they're trying.
    I have absolutely no knowledge of archaeology, but isn't there something they could put over the ship, such as a big plastic cover, to protect it from the sun?

vCash
    Very interesting - thanks for posting
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    I have absolutely no knowledge of archaeology, but isn't there something they could put over the ship, such as a big plastic cover, to protect it from the sun?
    No. When you find organics you have to put them back in the same condition that preserved them, such as water or mud. The oxidation process begins as soon as the organic material hits the air. That's impossible with a ship. They'll take measurements and photos and try to retrieve key elements that help identify use, age, etc., such as nails and joints.

This is one reason why we don't excavate things unless we have to. It's better to leave artifacts in place and let them be preserved.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!