Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 45
  1. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    11,069
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    And Sarah Meier's spins were good, but not great or WOW-worthy like those of Ruh's or Krieg's.

  2. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    22
    Posts
    12,978
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Butz View Post
    There are fast and slow skaters from every region. Remember Jennifer Robinson? She was so slow she's still competing in the 2004 worlds.
    Thank goodness she was so slow as she stalked that triple lutz forever. She would have gone into the boards each time if she wasnt painfully slow.

  3. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    12,257
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Lipinski's definitely fast. I didn't find Sasha that slow. I haven't seen any of them live though.
    Sasha was really slow. She looked fast on TV because she is so tiny and on TV, we didn't see the lack of ice coverage.

  4. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,933
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Thank goodness she was so slow as she stalked that triple lutz forever. She would have gone into the boards each time if she wasnt painfully slow.
    Yeah, the extreme telegraphing of Jennifer's jumps ALWAYS bothered me a lot. It really took away from her performance, even if she landed the jumps.

  5. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,667
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwantumleap View Post
    One consistent thread in ladies skating is the iconic ice princess reputation.

    I think that's part of the reason for the reputation of slow ladies skaters, especially in America where the pretty princess icon is encouraged.
    I have read the "pretty princess" or "ice princess" complaint several times before. The real detractors write "pwetty pwincess". But can an ice princess skate quickly? ... with power and speed? I believe she can.
    ( A little off topic here .... Mao has gotten criticism for acting too innocent, ....... OFF ICE. )

    Quote Originally Posted by Kwantumleap View Post
    I also think that it's true that skaters that have a reputation to defend, if not tough enough, will crumble under the pressure. One of the first things that seems to go is their speed. The American ladies have long been a powerhouse in figure skating, so the pressure to keep the reputation in tact is definitely there.
    The U.S. girls are under pressure, as are all skaters. But I don't think they skate with the burden of 70 years of history on their shoulders. If so, somebody is feeding them that pressure. "Come on Rachael, you MUST win back that 3rd spot!!"

  6. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    805
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymer Bob View Post
    The U.S. girls are under pressure, as are all skaters. But I don't think they skate with the burden of 70 years of history on their shoulders. If so, somebody is feeding them that pressure. "Come on Rachael, you MUST win back that 3rd spot!!"
    Lol. I also don't think American skaters are slow in general. I don't think a skater has to be very fast to be good. As long as they have adequate speed, it's more important that their speed fits and flows with the elements and the music of the program.

  7. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    24
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I think that it is ridiculous to say that any Senior Lady is "slow". They would not have passed the tests to become a senior competitor if they were slow. Speed and Carriage is part of the test.

    On TV, a skater might look slower than other skaters for multiple reasons (being taller is one of them), but odds are, they have average speed. There are no slow Sr. Skaters..there is average, and fast.

    I feel that sometimes the fast skaters speed takes away from their programs. It seems as though they are skating to end the program, not living every minute and every movement of it.

  8. #28

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Age
    52
    Posts
    10,243
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    10899
    Some skaters might slow down in competition, especially when nervous in general or when approaching jumps they're not sure of, even if they had plenty of speed when taking their tests.

  9. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    24
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Also, Jennifer Robinson is anything but slow. Trust me, I have skated on the ice with her (I was always considered a fast, powerful skater) and she still was much faster.

    And true, she did take time to prepare her jumps, but back when she skated, that's what most of the ladies did. There was no "connecting steps" in most of the ladies programs. Better to set up and prepare for a jump than to fall all over the place (which, yes she also did a lot, I will admit that)

  10. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    24
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Some skaters might slow down in competition, especially when nervous in general or when approaching jumps they're not sure of, even if they had plenty of speed when taking their tests.
    True, people do slow down sometimes when they compete. However it is still ridiculous to say that they are slow. Slower than they normally are, maybe, but not slow.

  11. #31

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,030
    vCash
    5550
    Rep Power
    7820
    Also, top level skaters should achieve their speed with little if any obvious effort, so they might not "look" as fast as they are. I remember skating on a session not too long ago with a Senior level skater (not one who has competed internationally or even qualified for Senior nationals) and a hockey skater. The hockey player "looked" really fast, because his arms and legs were flailing around and you could really hear the effort in his skating, while the Senior level skater was just stroking around with nice carriage and flow and no excessive body movements. She didn't "look" as fast but nonetheless kept passing the hockey player when she skated near him. Looks can definitely be deceiving.

  12. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    24
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by RFOS View Post
    Also, top level skaters should achieve their speed with little if any obvious effort, so they might not "look" as fast as they are. I remember skating on a session not too long ago with a Senior level skater (not one who has competed internationally or even qualified for Senior nationals) and a hockey skater. The hockey player "looked" really fast, because his arms and legs were flailing around and you could really hear the effort in his skating, while the Senior level skater was just stroking around with nice carriage and flow and no excessive body movements. She didn't "look" as fast but nonetheless kept passing the hockey player when she skated near him. Looks can definitely be deceiving.
    That's exactly what I was trying to get at. You definately worded it much better than I did. You really have to see the skaters skating their fastest next to each other to tell how they compare in speeds. Even height will make someone look faster or slower on the ice. Unfortunately, we don't get to see that because there is only ever 1 person on the ice at a time in senior ladies (and you can't judge by warm-ups because many relax on warm-ups)

  13. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,667
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by RFOS View Post
    Also, top level skaters should achieve their speed with little if any obvious effort, so they might not "look" as fast as they are.
    I don't recall the exact wording, but one of the things rewarded under the IJS is making it look effortless.

  14. #34
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Christina Gao is pretty fast, and so is Kiri Baga, and they are both tiny which makes it more impressive.

  15. #35
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    2,770
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by skating_sarah11 View Post
    Also, Jennifer Robinson is anything but slow. Trust me, I have skated on the ice with her (I was always considered a fast, powerful skater) and she still was much faster.

    And true, she did take time to prepare her jumps, but back when she skated, that's what most of the ladies did. There was no "connecting steps" in most of the ladies programs. Better to set up and prepare for a jump than to fall all over the place (which, yes she also did a lot, I will admit that)
    Just because she was faster than you doesn't mean she was faster than other elite world competitors (which she wasn't). I saw her compete many times and even saw her train in Detroit a few times. The last time I saw her was in Vegas 2009 for Nancy Kerrigan's Christmas show, and even among the rusty pros she stood out as being the slowest cast member. I think she had a LOT of strengths, but speed was NOT one of them.

  16. #36

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,872
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3930
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Butz View Post
    Just because she was faster than you doesn't mean she was faster than other elite world competitors (which she wasn't). I saw her compete many times and even saw her train in Detroit a few times. The last time I saw her was in Vegas 2009 for Nancy Kerrigan's Christmas show, and even among the rusty pros she stood out as being the slowest cast member. I think she had a LOT of strengths, but speed was NOT one of them.
    It wasn't for nothing that someone nicknamed her J Slo. I can't think of a skater from the1990s who took more time to set up a triple lutz than Jennifer Robinson. I think it was one of the problems she had with that jump -- she'd either run out of steam and pop it or fall, or pull it back to a double to keep from crashing into the boards. I also saw her live in a number of international competitions, and she was not even close to being a fast skater. Slutskaya and Kwan would whoosh on past her without looking like they were even working.

  17. #37
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    556
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    Of course Alissa and Rachael are the other slow **********.
    Taking the verbal low road like this says more about you than it does about their speed.

  18. #38
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,667
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I was wondering about that. Actually, I think somebody is just typing asterisks ( ******* ), then our imaginations put all sorts of horrendous things in there.

  19. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    12,257
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymer Bob View Post
    I was wondering about that. Actually, I think somebody is just typing asterisks ( ******* ), then our imaginations put all sorts of horrendous things in there.
    Yes ! it may be : "slow pieces of cakes" or "slow pieces of cookies", and so on !

  20. #40

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,130
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I always though the rap on US ladies was: they are polished - maybe too polished. Even the junior ladies have very refined, superior choreography. Yet it's rare to see gritty, athletic programs - a lot of beautiful princess programs.

    Fast skating, fast spins really stand out at nationals.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •