Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    i think that is it - when Billy dances, he is dancing for introverted Billy making me feel like I am peering into his private world - that what he is doing is not dancing for anyone else but him to see and that makes me feels like spying or peeping tommish to me.

YMMV and obviously it does.
    See, I LOVE when I'm watching dancers that dance that way, because I feel like I'm actually seeing a part of them and getting a glimpse into "their world" so to speak. And I also think that results in much more interesting, creative, and better performed solos.

Part of the reason most of the Contemporary solos on the show are crap 85% of the time, is that they are doing what they THINK the judges and public want to see, not what they are comfortable doing, which is why Billy's solos are so strong.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LordCirque View Post
    See, I LOVE when I'm watching dancers that dance that way, because I feel like I'm actually seeing a part of them and getting a glimpse into "their world" so to speak. And I also think that results in much more interesting, creative, and better performed solos.
    Which rather supports this:

Quote Originally Posted by pixie cut View Post
    He's a dancer who will appeal to dance lovers. He's not a dancer who will appeal to the masses that watch a show like this and vote.
    I do agree that most of the Contemporary female solos are crap because they're so commercial and full of tricks (aka what they think the audience/judges want to see).
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    And they don't take the time to finish their tricks typically, they rush from one trick to the next and don't finish any of their movement all the way to the end like they would in a "normal" solo.

And yes, I would agree with Pixie and others that Billy, is a Dancer's dancer, not a general populous dancer. We've had a few others as well over the years. Matt, Thayne, Kourtni (all 3 from Season 4), and Jaimie from Season 3, all come to mind.

vCash
    And some of them don't even appeal to dancers
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    I love Thayne. Matt reminded me of Evan Lysacek. I could never get into Kourtni but Jaimie Goodwin I absolutely adore.

vCash
    Kortni had one good solo, but I vastly prefered Courtney Galiano. She was actually one of my favorites that season. No her technique wasn't the best, but I think she brought more stage presence and personality than most people have, which was evident when her and Katee did that (god awful) umbrella dance and even though Katee was technically superior, I couldn't take my eyes of Courtney.

and FWIW, I have 10 years of ballet, contemporary and pointe training.

vCash
    I still don't get the Courtney Galiano appeal, at all. I still don't think she should have even been on the show, at least as a Contemporary Dancer. She's an amazing Hip Hop dancer though. My favorite pieces of hers were the Hip Hops she did.

vCash
    I disagree that Billy is only a "dancer's dancer". I'm not a dancer and I love him. I think he lacks the theatricality of dancer's like Robert and Kent who are often mugging quite a bit during their performances, or as Nigel calls it "pulling faces". I find their dancing very skilled but stylistically unremarkable while I find Billy quite unique. The way he moves and many of the choices he makes seem to reflect a more mature artist who is striving to make choices that will separate him from the crowd. More than any of the others, save perhaps Adechike, he manages to integrate his own style into the choreographer's work. This week's solo was his weakest for sure, but still miles ahead of anything we've seen from the other remaining contestants in their solos. I felt the same about Alex.

vCash
    Well, of course there will always been exceptions, but I'd say you being a non-dancer than is a huge Billy fan is more than likely closer to exception than a rule. I could be wrong, but that would be my conclusion.

Although.... from what I can tell, the only one that seems to not be a Billy fan here is Numbers. I remember largely positive reviews of him this week and in general on here, especially since Alex left.

vCash
    Although.... from what I can tell, the only one that seems to not be a Billy fan here is Numbers.
    Just because I said he made me uncomfortable? I am glad you can determine that I am the only non-billy fan. Sheesh, I knew that I should have stayed away from this discussion. I am not allowed to say what I feel?????????????

OK, I forgot that rule.

vCash
    UM

All I said was, you don't seem to like him, It wasn't meant as a negative comment. You said he makes you uncomfortable, usually that means a lack of enjoyment in watching something or wanting them to be in a competition.

I've seen very little negativity towards Billy the past couple of weeks, the wording and very recent nature made yours stand out to me, I'm sure if I went back and looked through this thread and the others I'd probably find a few others that don't like him either, but you were the only one I recalled off hand.

vCash
    UM

All I said was, you don't seem to like him, It wasn't meant as a negative comment. You said he makes you uncomfortable, usually that means a lack of enjoyment in watching something or wanting them to be in a competition.

I've seen very little negativity towards Billy the past couple of weeks, the wording and very recent nature made yours stand out to me, I'm sure if I went back and looked through this thread and the others I'd probably find a few others that don't like him either, but you were the only one I recalled off hand.
    Until these last 2 posts by you, I have not quoted you or directly attacked your comments. I went back and read the whole thread. I do not find where I said I "hated" or anything other than he makes ME uncomfortable. Because we have had major disagreements and you have previously attacked me through other posters, I stand out to you.

In one of the posts in this thread, I indicated YMMV and obviously does. I will remember that I am not allowed to have an opinion. Thank you very much.

vCash
    Oh for god sake. I knew you'd twist that comment and turn it into something it wasn't AT ALL.

There was no negative conotation or bashing when I said you weren't a fan, I DID NOT use the word "hate." You were the only one I remember saying anything negative about Billy in recent history.

Personally attacked you through other posters???? Any and all personal attacks I've made at you, and yes I will cop to some that were, oh, 3 or 4 YEARS ago, have been straight from me. I've let that go and moved on.

You made a statement Billy makes you uncomfortable, I took that to mean you don't enjoy him, MOST people aren't fans watching people that make them uncomfortable when they dance/skate/whatever. Which is fine. We were talking about audience and mass appeal vs. Dancer Appeal of him. The discussion had begun that he would appeal to pretty much only dancers, but then I started thinking about it and the only one I could remember clearly saying something to the contrary, was you, THUS the statement of him only having dancer appeal may not be as true as several of us initially thought.

There was no bashing, hate, or argument in ANYTHING I posted toward you. It was a neutral statement.

vCash
    I am NOT a dancer and I enjoy watching Billy.

There, I said it
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Oh FFS, we've managed to have a pretty successful bunch of threads so far this season. Please take your bickering and to PM.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    I'm a non-dancer, and I'm on the fence about Billy. Sometimes I can really see how lovely his lines and his boneless movements are, and I can see why people rave about him. Other times there just doesn't seem to be the spark behind his performance that I saw in dancers like Alex, Danny and Vincent(from SYTYCD Canada). They are dancers that knowledgeable people raved about and they were early favourites of mine.

Perhaps the problem for me, with Billy, is that I was expecting to be WOWed by him, and instead he was overshadowed by Alex.

So- right now I'm rooting for Billy (growing on me), Robert (hoping for a Mark-like performance), Adechike (probably making the most progress in how to appeal to TV audiences), and Lauren (perky, blond, and NOT annoying).

Jose(in over his head) and Kent (he's MASCULINE and SHOULD BE ON BROADWAY) can leave next please.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rjblue View Post
    So- right now I'm rooting for Billy (growing on me), Robert (hoping for a Mark-like performance), Adechike (probably making the most progress in how to appeal to TV audiences), and Lauren (perky, blond, and NOT annoying).

Jose(in over his head) and Kent (he's MASCULINE and SHOULD BE ON BROADWAY) can leave next please.
    What you said, but I prefer AdeChike over Robert at this point. I think Chike's getting better and Robert is staying the same for me. Of course, if Robert gets and kills a Sonya, that might change things for me.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Yes!

But unless a last minute shift in momentum happens, I'm pretty convinced that we'll see a Kent, Robert, Lauren, Adechike top 4.

Kent will win, and become my least favorite sytycd winner evahhh

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nalgene View Post
    I'm so annoyed at Nigel's comments to Billy last night. Of course he wants to see some variety from Billy because he's had to dance for his life how many freaking times already?!
    Something tells me Nigel will not be telling Jose that he needs to include more variety in his solos. I look forward to Billy's hip hop solo this week.

And ITA that Billy is not just a dancer's dancer. But, I'm talking about dancing. I don't think he has the cuteness factor that will appeal to the texting tweens. As I said before, I think that a lot of the votes are based on personality (and looks) outside of the dancing. I also think that Billy is so good that I think that some people assume he's safe and the judges are so mean that there is a backlash of votes (like for Adechike) or so gushing that people get inspired to vote. Oh, well, at least we get to see his solos. That was the one good thing about Danny absurdly and repeatedly ending up in the bottom three.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Perhaps the problem for me, with Billy, is that I was expecting to be WOWed by him, and instead he was overshadowed by Alex.
    That is exactly it - I knew I'd like Alex best because his is the style I trained in, but I really thought Billy would be neck and neck with him. That didn't happen. I also thought that Jacob was really lucky that Billy had to go home last year, but it has turned out that Jacob was a far more dynamic performer.

This year has become strange because I no longer have a clear favorite 4 or a clear favorite next to go home.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast