Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

vCash
    I agree with Allskate's post, as well.

Billy seeems to be getting the "short end of the stick"; because he allows his dancing to speak for itself.
    Jose', who doesn't haVe the skills, has to let his "personality" carry him.

The voters don't see the difference, or care; unfortunately for Billy.
    However, I hope that he has more success in professional dance, in spite of it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Billy seeems to be getting the "short end of the stick"; because he allows his dancing to speak for itself.
    Jose', who doesn't haVe the skills, has to let his "personality" carry him.

The voters don't see the difference, or care; unfortunately for Billy.
    However, I hope that he has more success in professional dance, in spite of it.
    There are quite a number of people who have tried out for the show and not made it who have solid dance careers. There's a certain it factor that seems to endear contestants. A pretty face, Kayla, a charm, Evan the Broadway guy, a smile, Neil, a nice sense of positive energy, Dominic. Billy is a talented dancer, which will make many choreographers want to work with him. He just may not have what it takes to charm teenage girls with mad texting skills.

vCash
    I think that for many the lines/technique don't matter. But what does make a difference is their personalities and they way they emote.

I thought Jose got thrown under the bus this week. Was it really his fault that they gave him that broadway number from Chicago? I suspect it was given to him to tell the audience that he is invisible. The b-boy routine was also a choreography disaster.

Billy just makes me feel uncomfortable and that he can only dance within himself. If you want to be America's favorite dancer you have to project outside of yourself. He should be able to do that at this time in the season, or he will go home.

vCash
    I'm so annoyed at Nigel's comments to Billy last night. Of course he wants to see some variety from Billy because he's had to dance for his life how many freaking times already?!

vCash
    Why would Billy would make anyone uncomfortable? What has he done? He's a sweet reserved young man and a great dancer.

And Jose has not had to do much technique this seasons. In fact I think any guy off the street could have done what Jose has been asked to do. Other then the bboying of course.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Interview with Ashley:
    http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/07/16/as...xit-interview/

She kind of clarifies that the injury rule means if the dancer is cleared to dance the following week they won't be eliminated, even if they can't dance a solo that night. Which means putting them in the B3 is pretty stupid. I guess it saves one extra person from having to stress over going home, but why not just say there's just a B2 if there's an injury?

EW also pushed for how her circumstance is different than Alex's and why he got an invite back and she didn't (she deflected gracefully).
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tarotx View Post
    And Jose has not had to do much technique this seasons. In fact I think any guy off the street could have done what Jose has been asked to do. Other then the bboying of course.
    Seriously? Have you seen a normal American man dance?
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tarotx View Post
    Why would Billy would make anyone uncomfortable?
    I can't tell you what makes me uncomfortable in watching him dance. I just am.

I understand that you all think Jose should not be on the show. All I am saying is that he emotes some connection to others, where Billy makes me feel like I am a peeping tom.

vCash
    I don't think Jose emotes during his dancing. I think after his dance and in all the clips, he shows he's a fun, bright personality with a lot of heart. He can't dance, even his own style. I don't even think he should have made Vegas, let alone this far. I think he seems like a nice guy, and he tries hard, but he shouldn't be on a dance show for that - he is not progressing outstandingly, or extra quickly, he's trying hard but usually not making the mark. Even in his own style, he's just not strong. There were so many bright personality in Vegas that could dance much better than Jose.

vCash
    Guy off the street couldn't do what Jose has been asked to do. However, I do believe good dancers that have even only had a few years of training (The Twin we saw during auditions, FSU favorite Miles that we saw during auditions I believe in Season 3) could do a great deal of what Jose has been required to do thus far, BBoying being the obvious exception.

The whole Billy Vs. Jose, while a more extreme case than in past seasons, is one of the big reasons I've gotten so to begin with in these threads, and why I've reacted so strongly to the show and others here. And is a classic example of why I've made so many of the statements I have in regards to training and what not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LordCirque View Post
    Guy off the street couldn't do what Jose has been asked to do.
    Jose is a guy off the street - he hasn't had any training except that given through the show, and it shows.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    OK-there are a very few really carismatic personalities with great artistic gifts who are superstars. But by and large, the dance world is peopled with individuals who are not off-the-chart characters. In fact, a lot of very gifted artists of any kind are inward. What it takes to win a popularity show has nothing to do with an individual's artistic gifts. You can be a very reserved, quiet person and get on stage and channel anything from Attila the Hun to the Pope. If you're a true artist, you can become anything, and your own persona isn't that important. For some, who are more "personalities" than "artists," it's the other way around, and often to great entertainment effect. There's a few who manage to pull it off somewhere in the middle. I know MANY wonderful artists from all disciples who would never win a personality contest. I think it's a bit unfair in this respect-kind of like having to be Michelangelo and the Homecoming King/Queen all in one package.

What I wanted to express was that you don't have to be a crowd-pleasing personality while not dancing to be a gifted artist while dancing. That was not a great sentence, but you know what I mean.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    Jose is a guy off the street - he hasn't had any training except that given through the show, and it shows.
    I consider BBoy work training of some kind, it is a skill to know how to do some of that, whether he does it well or not is another story, but even what he can do does require skill, practice, and training. It takes a lot of upper body and core strength and work to get a lot of those skills.

I'd say he's the first truly untrained dancer we've had on the show though, in terms of formal Ballet, Ballroom, or Hip Hop training.

Although the TRUE untrained dancers are the auditions we see.

vCash
    This is completely unrelated to any of the posts above and is a totally shallow statement. I want Billy to appeal more to the voting audience. When he was standing on the stage next Adechike and his magnificent smile, it was more apparent than ever - Billy needs zoom whitening.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pollyanna View Post
    I want Billy to appeal more to the voting audience. When he was standing on the stage next Adechike and his magnificent smile, it was more apparent than ever - Billy needs zoom whitening.
    He can whiten his teeth and clear up his acne (is it me or do both Billy and Jose appear to have clearer skin), but he doesn't have the wink factor. He's a dancer who will appeal to dance lovers. He's not a dancer who will appeal to the masses that watch a show like this and vote. Even esoteric talents like Mark have the wink factor. Something that draws you in and captivates you. Billy is a beautiful dancer, but he lacks sex appeal, even the benign kind that tween girls crave.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pixie cut View Post
    but he doesn't have the wink factor. He's a dancer who will appeal to dance lovers. He's not a dancer who will appeal to the masses that watch a show like this and vote. Even esoteric talents like Mark have the wink factor. Something that draws you in and captivates you. Billy is a beautiful dancer, but he lacks sex appeal, even the benign kind that tween girls crave.
    i think that is it - when Billy dances, he is dancing for introverted Billy making me feel like I am peering into his private world - that what he is doing is not dancing for anyone else but him to see and that makes me feels like spying or peeping tommish to me.

Yes, Mark has the wink factor and one could droll over his personality, looks and dance lines. While Billy has technique, I just can't imagine a hawtness factor or wanting him to take his shirt off.

YMMV and obviously it does.

vCash
    Most people don't droll over Mark's dance lines. I love him and think no one in the current season comes close to Mark in the charisma department but Mark isn't competing this season and in his season he was not the best dancer nor was he the most liked so why bring him up?

And the show is dealing with Billy's teeth. They are much whiter then in the first couple of weeks. Billy drinks a lot of pop and well that's never good on teeth.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    i think that is it - when Billy dances, he is dancing for introverted Billy making me feel like I am peering into his private world - that what he is doing is not dancing for anyone else but him to see and that makes me feels like spying or peeping tommish to me.

Yes, Mark has the wink factor and one could droll over his personality, looks and dance lines. While Billy has technique, I just can't imagine a hawtness factor or wanting him to take his shirt off.

YMMV and obviously it does.
    I feel this way when I'm watching Mr. Weir, though our Johnny definitely has sex appeal. He can skate very inwardly, and I love it. But I do agree with the above. And Mark is definitely hawt big time! Funny ears and all. That Polynesean dance (Balinese? whatever) was tingly time!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    I feel this way when I'm watching Mr. Weir, though our Johnny definitely has sex appeal. He can skate very inwardly, and I love it. But I do agree with the above. And Mark is definitely hawt big time! Funny ears and all. That Polynesean dance (Balinese? whatever) was tingly time!
    They said it was Tahitian. And yes, it was fabu.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    That's exactly how I feel when I watch Billy, like I'm an interloper in "Billy's World".

There are people who are introverted both on and off stage, others who are extroverted both on and off stage, and those who are introverted off stage but extroverted on (Johnny Depp is a good example of the last one).

If Billy could find a way to become extroverted on stage or at least make us feel like we are invited into his world, he'd be doing much better in this season. He did seem to come close to a breakthrough on the jazz routine with Lauren but it may be too little too late.

I've loved Mark from day one on Season 4 but initially it was for his ability to draw one into the performance and his incredible musicality. I honestly didn't notice that he was kind of cute until "Bleeding Love" or "Kiss, Kiss" and it wasn't until "The Rose" that I kind of went into swoon mode and haven't recovered since.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast