Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MikiAndoFan#1 View Post

Good for her! Is she skating in singles now?
    Well she is now because she doesn't have a partner.

But she's actively looking for one.

Quote Originally Posted by gosia.douceur View Post
    That's great news! Is she still in Montreal?
    Yep, she's back in Poland later this week, if I remember correctly.

vCash
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKU2x...layer_embedded
    It seems that Martin Liebers from Germany has had a tryout with Joanna Suleij

vCash
    Since it's become public knowledge now anyway, I think I can reveal that unfortunately the tryout did not work out.

Martin is a great guy and they got on really well, but it just didn't work for them.

Hopefully they will both find partners soon.

Sulej is back in Warsaw now and still looking for a partner.
    http://icepartnersearch.com/showbio.php?i=1555

In other news, Sebastian Iwasaki has recently landed a clean 4toe in practice.

Soon afterwards, he left to NRW Trophy. Skating the SP, one of the screws fell out of his blade and it became loose. Skating with a loose blade, he fell on two of his initial jumps and then missed a combination spin before stopping his program and going to find a referee.

He got 3 minutes to fix the problem and only just managed to get them temporarily screwed in time before continuing the program.

He came back in style in the free, though, landing an underrotated 4toe and skating the best free program he's done in a while. Good job, especially under the circumstances!

Poor guy just can't get a break. Last season (or was it the season before? I can't remember now), his blade came apart in the middle of a competition. And now this. :/

Hopefully there are more 4toes to come from him.

Natalia Kaliszek/Michal Kaliszek have now made their Ice Dance debut at a national competition and it got received quite well (mark wise anyhow).

It seems like Justyna Plutowska/Dawid Pietrzynski are skating together again. At least they are entered to Nationals.

And Maciej Bernadowski has a new Russian partner Alexandra Zvorygina.

All three teams are entered to 3 Nationals (Kaliszeks in Juniors, the other two in Seniors).

vCash
    Agata Kryger keeps getting better and better.

She's just placed 2nd at the NRW Trophy (4th in SP, 1st in FS) which is a great result, especially given the extreme circumstances.

The weather meant that it took her and her coach 8 hours to travel to Warsaw, instead of the usual 2. Then planes kept getting cancelled because of adverse weather conditions.

In the end, she arrived in Dortmund barely on time for her performance and was changing into her dress in the car.

She still managed to land 3toe/2toe and 2axel and just fell on her 3salchow.

And then she went on to skate an incredible free program, where she did a fully rotated 3flip for the first time. She fell on it but it's only the second time she tried it in competition and an improvement over having it downgraded at her previous competition in Oswiecim. She's only recently started to land 3flips in practice.

You can watch her fantastic FS performance here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN1h6Sonres

vCash
    That was a great program- How old is Agata?

Do you have any news about P. Domański? Why did he WD from NRW Trophy?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Extranjera View Post
    That was a great program- How old is Agata?
    Agata has just turned 13, so she is still not age-eligible to compete in Juniors.

She will be able to compete in Juniors from next season (2011/2012) and in Seniors from the 2013/2014 season.

Quote Originally Posted by Extranjera View Post
    Do you have any news about P. Domański? Why did he WD from NRW Trophy?
    Domanski has started the season a little late because he spent the entire Summer performing in the Hot Ice show in Blackpool, UK.

To date, he's only competed once this season at the "Diamentowy Spin 2010" national competition in Katowice in October (you can find my report earlier in the thread).

He is in good shape now and is landing all the triples in practice, as well as making good attempts at the 3axel.

He withdrew from NRW Trophy because his team decided it's best to focus on working to be ready for Nationals (which are on 17th December).

vCash
    Thanx for info Przemek has ambitious plans, I hope he'll have a good season this year.

I can't wait to see Agata in Juniors, she seems very talented skater

vCash
    More information on Panfilova/Chruscinski

The article mentions Alexandra Panfilova is 18 years old and comes from Vasiliev's camp. Reportedly Chruscinski has been to Skt Petersburg lately, where he'd practice with Panfilova under Vasiliev for 3 weeks. Then she came to Oświęcim mid-December and they'd practice for a week under Tewanian and Mydlarz-Chruscinska. The date of their first official competition isn't known yet, even though - as the article mentions - PFSA would like them to try at Worlds. Which sound pretty optimistic, IMO...
    Last edited by gosia.douceur; 12-29-2010 at 05:59 PM.

vCash
    Some news, mostly bad I'm afraid:

Anna Jurkiewicz has suffered an injury, prior to the Euros. I started a thread for that, here:
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=77421

Przemyslaw Domanski has decided to retire, at least for now. The thread for that is here:
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=76575

Polish Figure Skating Association tried really hard to get him sent to the Winter Universiade as his last competition but unfortunately the Ministry of Sport decided that nobody is going to be sent there.

Joanna Sulej is back in Warsaw now and training singles with Anna Rechnio whilst she's looking for a new pairs partner. She's also doing dance classes and acrobatics to stay in shape, since the training conditions (read below) aren't great.

It seems that Panfilova/Chruscinski aren't going to be working with Vasiliev any more (they spent 3 weeks with him recently).

Polish skating is not in a very good place now. The MoS is limiting funding and they announced that only skaters who place top 10 at Euros will be sent to Worlds.

Which means that we won't see any skaters in Tokyo unless they pay for the trip themselves. And with Tokyo being on the other side of the world, that's a lot of money.

More bad news: the Warsaw city council stopped subsidising the skating clubs. They are not paying for ice time any more and as a result the Warsaw skaters only have 1 hour of ice a day (they used to have two).

Which obviously is nowhere near enough for elite skaters.

The picture after Senior Nationals:

Ladies

Jurkiewicz was the clear winner. Even if the jumps weren't perfect, her non-jump elements and presentation were outstanding.

Aneta Michalek showed decent jumps and tried her best to present but she's lacking in everything mentioned above.

Krystyna Klimczak did decently too but she only has a 2a and 3t at present.

Olga Szelc had two disappointing performances I'm afraid.

Men

Domanski delivered an amazing FS to win the fourth title.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcwEaroCJ1g

Cieplucha had a clear lead after SP but totally fell apart in the free. He was pretty much 100% consistent in practice so I think it's a psychological issue again. Shame, he has so much potential that isn't getting fulfilled.

Polish-Canadian Patrick Myzyk skated as a guest and had a strong clean SP but made a number of mistakes in the FS, to place 3rd overall. He skated as a guest, so I imagine that at this stage he's still committed to representing Canada.

Sebastian Iwasaki did very well in the FS but his SP wasn't strong enough and he was 4th overall.

Kamil Bialas did quite well too, good presentation.

Edwin Siwkowski doesn't have the jumps (only 3t and 3s are consistent, he's trying 3r too) but his performances were extremely entertaining as usual. He's going to be a perfect show skater.

Pairs

4 junior pairs competed. Klatka/Chruscinski keep improving and look very promising.

New pair Malinkiewicz/Lofek rocked. Siedlecka/Tyc did quite well too. Jaskolka/Snopek - she's not landing her jumps and unless she starts, it's not going to get anywhere.

Ice Dance

Junior ID took part there.

Caroll/Gerber clealry won, despite a fall on the diagonal steps in the FD. They are at a very decent level and seem very promising.

Kaliszek/Kaliszek got an unexpected silver medal. Lots of work still ahead of them (elements were messy) but they did well given they trained for such a short time.

Zajac/Binkowski could have easily beaten them but she fell on a twizzle and they didn't get the levels they aimed for.

We also have one Senior team, Alexandra Zvorygina/Maciej Bernadowski. She's Russian and trains with him in Lodz. They occassionally work with Gorshkov and Petukhov in Odintsovo too.

They did really well, given they only trained for a few months together. I think they are really promising. Her basic skating is gorgeous.

Not having a minimum score, they couldn't perform at Euros but Maciej told me that they want to focus on the next season anyhow. They realise that a lot of work is ahead of them.

I hope they stick together, they certainly have potential.

The picture after Junior Nationals

Ladies

Is where it was at. The level was surprisingly high.

Two medal candidates: Olga Szelc and Marta Kubiak didn't do very well and stayed off the podium. Olga didn't skate bad but she played it safe, not attempting the 3salchow and it just wasn't enough.

Paulina Turkowska competed for the first time this season and did surprisingly well! She landed 3salchow/2toe and 2axel in both programs to get the bronze. You can watch her FS here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHcffPeh54w

In previous years it would have easily been enough to win but now we have two superbabies of our own.

The battle for the gold was was between Agata Kryger and Aleksandra Kamieniecki and it was very close.

Both skated clean SPs. Ola landed 3s/2t, 3r and 2a to come on top. Agata did 3t/2t, 2r and 2a to place second.

Despite having an easier jump content, Agata's SP was AMAZING. So well skated!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsJyiho5bBM&

In the free skate, Kryger fell on her opening 3s but skated very well from them on.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjpkRpjtpoA&

Kamieniecki had three falls but she also took many more risks. She went for all the triples, barring the lutz and her non-jump elements improved a lot since last season.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IePLvueMd0&

Kamieniecki won and I disagree with that verdict.

Ola definitely should be praised for attempting all those difficult jumps, including 2a/3t. I believe that sooner or later, they will become consistent for her. But so far they aren't and the rotation isn't always full either.

Her basic skating is better, she skates with more speed but other than that, the rest of her PCS definitely is weaker than Agata's. There is nothing to justify her getting all components higher by 0.5

Kryger had better choreographed programs, more expression throughout, more connecting movements, etc.

Conspiracy theory here but I think that Polish Fed didn't want any problems with the Ministry of Sport and if Ola placed second they would have to explain to them why they are sending the silver and not the gold medallist to JW (Kryger is too young).

All in all, Ladies is definitely one discipline with the biggest promise for the future. Both Kryger and Kamieniecki have lots of potential.

Men

Bialas won, unsurprisingly. By a huge margin too.

Siwkowski was second and Dymowski - who isn't in a very good form this season - third.

Pairs

Klatka/Chruscinski attempted sbs 2axels for the first time but they weren't successful. They also fell on the steps and following their SP withdrew from the event. I hope they aren't injured because they are our best team by far.

And that's all, folks.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    to Domanski: that was an interesting program, full of character, with most of the musical cuts not the usual suspect.

Kryger is very impressive: her SP music had a mean tempo, and she not only kept it, she kept up the energy and snap. I really liked how in the FS she fought for her tougher landings, and in particular, how she started with another uptempo piece of music and changed her pace and the character of her movement with the musical change. She'll most likely need to get rid of the wrap if she's going to get the rotation on the harder jumps, but she's great to watch.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    to Domanski: that was an interesting program, full of character, with most of the musical cuts not the usual suspect.
    It was an amazing performance. Great to see him leave the sport with the best performance of his life (unofficial personal best too).

Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    :Kryger is very impressive: her SP music had a mean tempo, and she not only kept it, she kept up the energy and snap. I really liked how in the FS she fought for her tougher landings, and in particular, how she started with another uptempo piece of music and changed her pace and the character of her movement with the musical change. She'll most likely need to get rid of the wrap if she's going to get the rotation on the harder jumps, but she's great to watch.
    That SP was so well skated.

And yes, what's really impressive about her is that she never gives up, never pops her jumps and you can always see her fighting until the end. A really competitive spirit.

The wrap is worrying indeed but whilst she tends to wrap a lot on her doubles, it's not really noticeable that much on the 2axel and the triples. So hopefully it's not going to be an issue.

She's not actually capable of fully making the rotation if she wraps on the triples so that forces her to keep proper leg position in the air on them.

vCash
    Ola Kamieniecki performed in Seniors for the first time at Broadmoor Open (she won't be senior-eligible for ISU competitions until next season).

She earned 40.58 in the SP and 114.08 in the combined total to win the event.

Results here (thanks to the amazing Sylvia):
    http://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/2...emand-webcast/

(It's a real shame that protocols aren't available. If anyone could share what Ola landed, it would be really appreciated!)

A nice interview with Ola Kamieniecki has been posted at World Skating:
    http://worldskating.blogspot.com/201...wanted-to.html

I've also found some new photos on her website:
    http://www.olakamieniecki.com/module...view_album.php
    Last edited by Ziggy; 07-05-2011 at 11:24 PM.

vCash
    I believe 114.08 is the combined total (SP + FS). Is she still JGP age eligible?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    I believe 114.08 is the combined total (SP + FS). Is she still JGP age eligible?
    Yes, 114.08 was Ola Kamieniecki's combined total at the Broadmoor Open -- it wasn't clear in my results so I've just edited in a clarification.

Excerpt from the worldskating blogspot interview:
    O. Kamieniecki: My next plans are that I will be going to the JGPs in Riga, Latvia and Gdansk, Poland. In between the two competitions, I will go to St. Petersburg to train for one week. After my JGPs, I will go to Polish senior nationals, which is combined in the three nationals competition including the Czech Republic and Slovak Republic. After that I am planning to compete at the first Youth Olympic Games in Innsbruck, Austria. All I hope for is to stay healthy. I am so excited for this upcoming season.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 07-05-2011 at 10:40 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Corrected, thanks.

Ola is going to be Junior-eligible for the next 5 seasons or so.

She's 14 at the moment, if I remember correctly.

Last season was Ola's first when she was Junior eligible.

She won't be eligible for ISU Senior Championships in the upcoming season yet.

Which is a shame because Kryger is two seasons away from Senior eligibility (upcoming will be her first Junior season) and other than those two, we don't really have any other strong female skaters at the moment (Jurkiewicz suffered from a serious injury).

vCash
    I looked on YouTube to see whether Ola's performance from Broadmoor Open has been uploaded and found a video of her first competition, when she was 4 years old.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4-GdwsOUxs

(Sadly no Broadmoor Open video and I couldn't find anything from this event on FSVids either )

I might have posted it before but here is Ola's FS from 2011 Junior Nationals:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IePLvueMd0

Not a very successful performance but I really admire the fact that she's a real fighter and always attacks all her jumps, even if she makes mistakes.

What's also great is that she never plays safe but always goes for most of the triples, even though most of them aren't very consistent for her yet.

Presentation and non-jump elements need improvement (although they already did improve a lot compared with the preceding season) but she had good speed and good height on her jumps.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Corrected, thanks.

Ola is going to be Junior-eligible for the next 5 seasons or so.

She's 14 at the moment, if I remember correctly.

Last season was Ola's first when she was Junior eligible.

She won't be eligible for ISU Senior Championships in the upcoming season yet.

Which is a shame because Kryger is two seasons away from Senior eligibility (upcoming will be her first Junior season) and other than those two, we don't really have any other strong female skaters at the moment (Jurkiewicz suffered from a serious injury).
    thanks, I hadn't realized she was so young.

vCash
    A video of Joanna Sulej and Alexander Goncharov performing during a show:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R3rmee_FOc&

Her extensions are as gorgeous as ever. What a shame she isn't competing any more.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    A video of Joanna Sulej and Alexander Goncharov performing during a show:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R3rmee_FOc&

Her extensions are as gorgeous as ever. What a shame she isn't competing any more.
    Did I miss something? Was she stopping finally or still looking for a partner?
    Last edited by oubik; 07-14-2011 at 04:31 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oubik View Post
    Did I miss something? Was she stopping finally or still looking for a partner?
    She was looking for a partner but then was offered a really good contract to perform shows on a cruise ship (and travel the world at the same time). She took that and I highly doubt she's going to return to competitive skating.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast